Games & Recreation Your best shot

Remove this Banner Ad

volcboy

Club Legend
Jul 15, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Final of the Vic Country Geelong/South West Vic Regional U16's basketball tournament against arch rivals. Winner advances to the state Vic Country Club finals.

Arch rivals scored with 10 seconds left on the clock to tie the game. Ball inbounded to me (point guard); I dribble up the court looking for a long pass for the final shot, but they have collapsed back to defend for overtime. I take a shot from a meter behind half-court with 5 seconds on the clock - nothing but net. Cue crowd invasion onto the court and we're through to the state finals.

rank and file

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2013
michael mitchell country
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
bell park
I'd be even more impressed if your cousin Eddie's surname was Charlton.

Playing cricket for Crib Point v Tyabb. I hit a six over mid wicket that cleared the fence, pine trees, into the tennis courts and hit a bloke in the shoulder on the full as he was in the ball toss of his serve.

Playing for Edmonton Parks v Edmonton at the South Cairns Canecutters footy oval (same dimensions as the GABBA apparently), the pavilion is / was 2 stories, changerooms on the ground and bar and pokies up stairs with a balcony you could sit out on and watch the action. I hit a six that high that it came down at just the right angle that it missed everything on the way down, bounced of the concrete base of the balcony and went straight through an open door into the pokie area.

Playing for North Shore v Geelong Cement at the Cementies home ground which is very picturesque but tiny. It was late in the day, I hit a six to long on that never climbed anymore than about 5 or 6ft off the deck, it went like an absolute rocket. Right near where the ball was heading, near the boundary fence was the wife of one of the opposition players with their 2 year old daughter pushing / riding a scooter type thing. The kid was about 6 ft from mum and I yelled out as soon as I saw it was wide of the mid on, mum only had time to look up and pick up the track of the ball. We all started bolting towards her, she didn't have any time to even move towards the kid. It missed the little girl by about 4 inches. I was almost sick.
Did Cementies win?I played there for 5 years.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Did Cementies win?I played there for 5 years.

Yep, smashed us. There was a batsman there, I forget his name but in the off season he played baseball and batted accordingly, had an eye like a dead fish.

The next year I had left and joined the Navy, a future English One Day International captain started playing at North Shore. The story goes that Shories made about 225 for Cementies to chase. The were doing it on the bit until one of them hit a 4 and that Pommy went and retrieved the ball, he may or may not have smashed up one side of it. He brought himself into the attack and took about 8-20, from all reports players were leaving them a foot outside off stump and losing their leg stumps.

When he first got there I went to some training sessions and he was showing us how to do it, said he learnt it off Waqar at Surrey.

Yep, smashed us. There was a batsman there, I forget his name but in the off season he played baseball and batted accordingly, had an eye like a dead fish.

The next year I had left and joined the Navy, a future English One Day International captain started playing at North Shore. The story goes that Shories made about 225 for Cementies to chase. The were doing it on the bit until one of them hit a 4 and that Pommy went and retrieved the ball, he may or may not have smashed up one side of it. He brought himself into the attack and took about 8-20, from all reports players were leaving them a foot outside off stump and losing their leg stumps.

When he first got there I went to some training sessions and he was showing us how to do it, said he learnt it off Waqar at Surrey.
I've heard some story about Waqar's partner in crime and another England captain at Lancashire that go a bit like that.

Aug 13, 2012
Waiting for Josh Kelly #2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Was in the shower at my in-laws a couple of weeks ago brushing my teeth with the toothbrush of mine that I leave there (don't normally brush in the shower but I was in a hurry). Once I was done I tossed the toothbrush over the top of the shower towards the sink and it landed back in the toothbrush holder slot (once of those square holders with four little holes for each toothbrush). Unfortunately it landed the wrong way up but I'll still take it. Took photographic evidence but it was on my wife's phone and I haven't gotten around to sending it to my phone yet.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Won a rugby pass competition at Cheeky Monkey's in Byron Bay. Similar to Lou's handball from the old Sunday Footy Show/World of Sport. Never played a game of competitive rugby in my life. Was probably 20th in line with plenty of no neck heroes ahead of me and put it straight through the I diddle diddle. Can't remember what the prize was but I doubt I could do it again. Plus that venue closed and Byron is full of flog anti vaxxers and celebrities.

What about your worst shots.

Working at hoyts for the opening of the broadmeadows cinema, they had some essendon footballers come for the day/promo it have a handball comp whatever.

So we set up the handball and i was the first one to "test it"- have my shot- the ball lands maybe 2 feet in front of me. And yes ppl were watching.

Also was taught by an Aboriginal how to throw a boomerang up in FNQ. It went straight into the ground, twice.
Was embarrassed to be an Aussie.
Asking a girl out for a date in 2008 and getting the response of "ewwwwww"

A real killer for 14 year old me's confidence

Nov 17, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Best shot: Navy basic training, on the 100m range, wind, rain pissing down. Battered 7.62mm L1A1, prone in the mud, 5 shots. Couldn't see through my glasses because of the mud and water, took them off and the target was just a white blob. Shot anyway. Result came back two on the outer ring and two bulls. Chief couldn't believe it, I didn't say anything about all my shots kicking up dirt about five metres either side and they were lucky misses from the other guys that happened to hit my target.

Most typical shot: Obtained a pair of Richo's boots (he had a sponsorship and only wore them for a game or two before giving them away). Trotted out, having a kick around before umpire training. Lined up 20m out dead in front, banged it through for a point. Yup, seal of authenticity for Richo's boots all right.

Luckiest shot: 11yo me playing with Dad's slug gun while alone during the school holidays. Little 6yo s**t next door was throwing things over the fence and making "nyar nyar" sounds and poking his tongue though a hole in the fence. Couldn't find a convenient dog turd to wipe on it, so next time I just pushed his tongue back with the barrel. Of course I had my finger on the trigger and it went off.

<cue "It was at this point...">

I climbed up on the fence in a daze, expecting a body and he was running around chasing a ball. He must have jerked his head sideways and not backward. I put the gun back and I don't think I ever touched it again. I mean, I'd have got a hell of a belting if Dad suspected I'd taken it out, * knows what would have happened if I'd punched a hole through next door kid's head.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Paul66

Cancelled
May 10, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
22nd of november 1963, 6th floor of the texas book depository
Nice work
FB_IMG_1630039278419.jpg

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back