Opinion Your best team based on players you've seen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm
@un_eggs said:
"Mercuri was better than Bucky."

Lets examine the facts between Buckenara & Mercuri then shall we.…..A small sized sample to compare & contrast the 2 should paint the picture.

In his first season of VFL footy in 1982, Buckenara kicked 60 goals & 45 behinds, playing all 25 games, while collecting 476 disposals & all off a forward flank.....How do I know this?....Simple, I was witness to every one of them. A season Mercuri would never get close to matching across his entire career.

In our Premiership year of 1983, Bucky missed 4 games through injury, yet still kicked 43 goals & 38 behinds, before doing his ACL just minutes into the Grand Final.....Again, more goals than Mercuri would ever match in any season.

It took until 1986 for Buckenara to finally get over the full effects of his ACL.....However, that season he returned with a vengeance, booting 55 Goals & 53 behinds, & Collecting 589 disposals from all 25 games, while leading us to the premiership in kicking 4 goals in the Grand Final....A season Mercuri could only ever dream of matching.

In 1987 Bucky missed 9 games through injury & yet, still kicked 42 goals & 15 behinds....Again, more goals than Mercuri could ever manage.

Buckenara then played the next 2 seasons - our back to back Premiership winning years - out of the middle....In 1988 he played 22 games, had 543 disposals, kicking 34 goals 28 behinds, all from out of the middle of the park...In 1989 he played 21 games for 448 disposals, kicking 32 Goals, 19 behinds....He also kicked 4 goals in that epic Grand Final win.

Mercuri's best years both disposal wise & from a goal kicking perspective simply pale by comparison to Buckenara's....The most goals he kicked in a single year is 37 goals & his biggest disposal tally was 485 in 1995 from 22 games, kicking 36 goals.....In 1996 he kicked 37 goals from 21 games, collecting 444 disposals....In 1993 he kicked 25 goals 10 behinds from 20 games, collecting 448 Disposals.....In 1999, he played 20 games, kicking 32 goals 19 behinds from 456 disposals.

These are the simple statistical facts.....Mercuri simply does not measure up against Buckenara on any statistical analysis whatsoever.

Now .....Stop making a fool of yourself.

Feb 24, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Seems that you’re still strangely intent on bagging other posters’ affinity with the sublime talents of Mercuri. He was a gun, deal with it.

See the stats in the post above....Mercuri was an average half forward flanker whose name should never be mentioned in knowledgeable conversation..

Walt Kowalski

Team Captain
Apr 24, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Very similar team to my own. I’ve copied my team directly from a thread I have on this ‘Lists’ page

Best Combined Team since 1980
Wanganeen Scarlett Fletcher
McLeod G Jakovich Roos
Pe Matera Williams Voss
Hird Carey(c) Ablett Sr
Matthews Lockett Franklin
S Madden T Watson Ablett Jr
Buckley Salmon Judd Goodes

Emerg: Blight Quinlan Doull Dunstall

2nd XXII
Enright Silvagni Archer
Doull Glendinning Hodge
Flower S Mitchell Akermanis
Blight Kernahan N Riewoldt
Daicos Dunstall Quinlan
Cox R Harvey D Jarman
Brereton Bartlett Pavlich Ricciuto

Emerg: Black Lloyd Dangerfield Martin

Players that I have that you don’t are 2 Bombers who I may be accused of bias for including but don’t really give 2 rats about because they were absolutely worthy - Tim Watson and Fletch. I’ve also included Matthews, Franklin and Goodes. I had Daics in my team for a long time before I included Buddy so we were very similar. You must be of similar vintage.
Probably started really watching footy around 1990, but I recall some players from the 80s.. One guy I always forget in these discussions is Darren Jarman, I'd happily replace Daicos with him some days. Can't really remember Leigh Matthews, but can definitely remember how good Tim Watson was, every bit as good a selection as Voss or Judd imo, especially his earlier days.

Jun 9, 2007
un
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
@un_eggs said:
"Mercuri was better than Bucky."

Lets examine the facts between Buckenara & Mercuri then shall we.…..A small sized sample to compare & contrast the 2 should paint the picture.

In his first season of VFL footy in 1982, Buckenara kicked 60 goals & 45 behinds, playing all 25 games, while collecting 476 disposals & all off a forward flank.....How do I know this?....Simple, I was witness to every one of them. A season Mercuri would never get close to matching across his entire career.

In our Premiership year of 1983, Bucky missed 4 games through injury, yet still kicked 43 goals & 38 behinds, before doing his ACL just minutes into the Grand Final.....Again, more goals than Mercuri would ever match in any season.

It took until 1986 for Buckenara to finally get over the full effects of his ACL.....However, that season he returned with a vengeance, booting 55 Goals & 53 behinds, & Collecting 589 disposals from all 25 games, while leading us to the premiership in kicking 4 goals in the Grand Final....A season Mercuri could only ever dream of matching.

In 1987 Bucky missed 9 games through injury & yet, still kicked 42 goals & 15 behinds....Again, more goals than Mercuri could ever manage.

Buckenara then played the next 2 seasons - our back to back Premiership winning years - out of the middle....In 1988 he played 22 games, had 543 disposals, kicking 34 goals 28 behinds, all from out of the middle of the park...In 1989 he played 21 games for 448 disposals, kicking 32 Goals, 19 behinds....He also kicked 4 goals in that epic Grand Final win.

Mercuri's best years both disposal wise & from a goal kicking perspective simply pale by comparison to Buckenara's....The most goals he kicked in a single year is 37 goals & his biggest disposal tally was 485 in 1995 from 22 games, kicking 36 goals.....In 1996 he kicked 37 goals from 21 games, collecting 444 disposals....In 1993 he kicked 25 goals 10 behinds from 20 games, collecting 448 Disposals.....In 1999, he played 20 games, kicking 32 goals 19 behinds from 456 disposals.

These are the simple statistical facts.....Mercuri simply does not measure up against Buckenara on any statistical analysis whatsoever.

Now .....Stop making a fool of yourself.
I knew you’d find that statement hard to swallow. You can paint your picture with all the stats you want. It’s an opinion that I have of a player whom I rate extremely highly as a sublime, big game player. Mercs was pivotal in 2 very successful eras at Essendon, being an inspiration in our finals run in his first full season as a teen. As you highlighted, his ‘99 stats don’t look overly impressive yet he was universally considered the second best player that year, came runner up in the Brownlow, and inspired a Hirdless team that was the best performed that year up until we muffed our lines in the Prelim. So your comment;

Mercuri was an average half forward flanker whose name should never be mentioned in knowledgeable conversation..
comes across as making you look the fool.

The reality is that I really rated Buckenara. I haven’t overlooked his stats. I have him rated very closely to Mercs, Brad Johnson, and Ryan O’Keefe in my top 100 players seen. All were great players to watch and very influential for their teams. Rating gifted players can come down to a simple preference in watching their talent in person. You prefer Bucky and I prefer Mercs. As I said, deal with it.

Jun 9, 2007
un
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Probably started really watching footy around 1990, but I recall some players from the 80s.. One guy I always forget in these discussions is Darren Jarman, I'd happily replace Daicos with him some days. Can't really remember Leigh Matthews, but can definitely remember how good Tim Watson was, every bit as good a selection as Voss or Judd imo, especially his earlier days.
I think some people forget just how much of a talismanic presence Tim was in the only team that had the measure of the great Hawks era of the 80s. He was the best mid in the first half of that decade and only Greg Williams matched him in the latter part.

Feb 24, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
I knew you’d find that statement hard to swallow. You can paint your picture with all the stats you want. It’s an opinion that I have of a player whom I rate extremely highly as a sublime, big game player. Mercs was pivotal in 2 very successful eras at Essendon, being an inspiration in our finals run in his first full season as a teen. As you highlighted, his ‘99 stats don’t look overly impressive yet he was universally considered the second best player that year, came runner up in the Brownlow, and inspired a Hirdless team that was the best performed that year up until we muffed our lines in the Prelim. So your comment;

The reality is that I really rated Buckenara. I haven’t overlooked his stats. I have him rated very closely to Mercs, Brad Johnson, and Ryan O’Keefe in my top 100 players seen. All were great players to watch and very influential for their teams. Rating gifted players can come down to a simple preference in watching their talent in person. You prefer Bucky and I prefer Mercs. As I said, deal with it.

Dude, give it up....You're one-eyed Essendon goggles are bleeding obvious for all to see....Cease exposing your lack of football nous & utter naivete.

if I could be bothered to, I'd ram Darren Jarman's figures down your throat also, just to expose how second-rate Mercuri is by comparison....Not to mention your lack of footballing acumen.

Mercuri's numbers are compatible with John 'Bomber' Hendrie's....A very good half forward from our 70's era, who played in our 1976/1978 Flags....He can't even make our team of the century because of Bucky & Jars.....Even Hendrie managed to kick more than 50 goals in one year (1977); Unlike Mercuri.

Buckenara was pivotal, playing in 4 Premierships during the 80's....Jarman played in one Premiership for us, before switching over to Adelaide, where he proved the match-winner in both Grand Finals for them.....Both have Mercuri covered with ease.....It's not even a matter for conjecture.

Jun 9, 2007
un
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Dude, give it up....You're one-eyed Essendon goggles are bleeding obvious for all to see....Cease exposing your lack of football nous & utter naivete.

if I could be bothered to, I'd ram Darren Jarman's figures down your throat also, just to expose how second-rate Mercuri is by comparison....Not to mention your lack of footballing acumen.

Mercuri's numbers are compatible with John 'Bomber' Hendrie's....A very good half forward from our 70's era, who played in our 1976/1978 Flags....He can't even make our team of the century because of Bucky & Jars.....Even Hendrie managed to kick more than 50 goals in one year (1977); Unlike Mercuri.

Buckenara was pivotal, playing in 4 Premierships during the 80's....Jarman played in one Premiership for us, before switching over to Adelaide, where he proved the match-winner in both Grand Finals for them.....Both have Mercuri covered with ease.....It's not even a matter for conjecture.
I wait in anticipation of the next time you deride a poster for choosing Mercuri over a beloved Hawk or Hird over Buddy. You might want to look a little less through your own goggles. For what it’s worth Carey has Brereton covered, Scarlett and SOS are ahead of Langford and I’d take Roos ahead of Hodge. Sorry to offend.

Feb 24, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
I wait in anticipation of the next time you deride a poster for choosing Mercuri over a beloved Hawk or Hird over Buddy. You might want to look a little less through your own goggles. For what it’s worth Carey has Brereton covered, Scarlett and SOS are ahead of Langford and I’d take Roos ahead of Hodge. Sorry to offend.

O.K I'll play...Carey over Brereton is a given....Scarlo & SOS over Langford seems to be the common opinion... & Roos played key defensive post & has jack-all to do with any comparisons with Hodge whatsoever....Hird & Buddy are also completely different players in different roles.

You've come unglued mate.

Jun 9, 2007
un
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Hird & Buddy are also completely different players in different roles.
You might want to take that up with yourself...
I'm guessing you forgot about Buddy....Has Hird covered easily.
You also seem to have forgotten the second half of Roos’ career where he was a pure running HBF and rarely ever matched up on a key position opponent.

lumpinee

MK ULTRA
Jul 18, 2019
across the park from commission flats
AFL Club
Richmond
mate im a Richmond supporter,i forgot Mercuri was RU in a brownlow,i knew my eyes werent decieving me when watching him,yeah procrastinator needs to realise that just because buckley got a lot of possesions in s**t teams and buckenara some fine goal totals in outstanding sides doesnt mean
Mercuris not in in the converstaion,Mercuri better than both

Feb 24, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
mate im a Richmond supporter,i forgot Mercuri was RU in a brownlow,i knew my eyes werent decieving me when watching him, yeah procrastinator needs to realise that just because buckley got a lot of possesions in s**t teams and buckenara some fine goal totals in outstanding sides doesn't mean Mercuris not in in the converstaion,Mercuri better than both

Nice job in outing your alias account there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 24, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hey procrastinator heres one for you to think about...Is dusty better than any mid thats ever pulled on the boots for the mighty hawks other than Leigh Matthews ???

I'm not sure there's been a midfielder at Hawthorn like him....Maybe Graham Arthur, whom Kennedy rates the equal of Matthews, but he was before my time.

Hodge began his career as a midfielder, but as time wore on, his presence was best served in defence as our defensive general....He started the 2014 Grand final in the middle & played there for all of the first half, cutting the Swans to ribbons in the process....Hodge could also play forward & kicked almost 200 goals, but he was no where near as damaging forward of centre as Dusty is.

I personally rate midfielders who can play equally as well forward of centre & become match-winning goalkickers, the highest.....For that is where the pressure is greatest & the game is won or lost, more often than not....Buckenara & Jarman could both play equally as well out of the middle as they could forward....Robbie Gray from Port Adelaide is another who comes to mind.

The most damaging midfielder forward of centre, is usually the best player in the league...And Dusty is most certainly that currently.

lumpinee

MK ULTRA
Jul 18, 2019
across the park from commission flats
AFL Club
Richmond
if theres anybody dusty reminds me of currently its definitely leigh matthews in his prime,im saying hes playing the same way & posing the same threat week in week out,matthews was a cosistent threat over 13 seasons, i know dusty has a bit to go yet but geez hes on rare ground

Feb 24, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
if theres anybody dusty reminds me of currently its definitely leigh matthews in his prime,im saying hes playing the same way & posing the same threat week in week out,matthews was a cosistent threat over 13 seasons, i know dusty has a bit to go yet but geez hes on rare ground

Probably Steve Johnson from the Cats is the nearest contemporary match I can think of....At his peak, as a big bodied midfielder-forward, Johnson was unstoppable & has a big games finals record to match that of Martin.....Johnson booted 516 goals from 293 games, whereas Martin has 250 goals from 224 games...Though to be fair, Stevie Jay played mostly as a forward.

Both very similar in height & weight also.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back