Opinion Your best team based on players you've seen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Eh?....Rose-coloured is in your kit-bag, not mine.
You're whinging about a lack of Hawthorn players in an opinion thread being behind a bloke who won a Normie, a Brownlow and is regarded among most people as one of the best players of the modern era, outside of Hawthorn fans.

You're whinging about a lack of Hawthorn players in an opinion thread being behind a bloke who won a Normie, a Brownlow and is regarded among most people as one of the best players of the modern era, outside of Hawthorn fans.

What colour are the Bombers?

Now....What colour is this?

1549184839228.png :rolleyes:o_O

Forgive my age showing in places:

R.Laird - B.Lake - J.Gibson
A.MacLeod - J.McGovern - Hodge

B.Cousins - M.Voss - S.Pendelbury

N.Riewoldt - L.Franklin - B.Fevola
C.Rioli - W.Carey - E.Betts

D.Cox - Judd - G.Abblet(jnr)

S.Mitchell - N.Fyfe - D.Martin - S.Burgoyne

Last edited:
Forgive my age showing in places:

R.Laird - B.Lake - J.Gibson
A.MacLeod - J.McGovern - Hodge

B.Cousins - M.Voss - S.Pendelbury

N.Riewoldt - L.Franklin - B.Fevola
C.Rioli - W.Carey - E.Betts

D.Cox - Judd - G.Abblet(jnr)

S.Mitchell - N.Fyfe - D.Martin - S.Burgoyne

No players from the 70's or 80's?.....Still under 40 would be my guess.

LOL at the lack of Hawthorn players, apart from Buddy.

I note the other 2 sides with 3 premierships or more are well represented.

Jimmy Bartel.....Oh dear.

I think you are severely underrating Jimmy. Was a champion of the game. One of the better wet weather footballers of the modern era. Super courageous and also very versatile- could play forward, back and mid. Certainly wouldn’t give that selection an “Oh dear”.

My definition of an “Oh dear” selection would be Sam Mitchell over Voss!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

He started a thread about Voss, Black, Akker and Lappin?

No....Their statistical betters in Mitchell, Hodge, Burgoyne & Lewis.....Though the 4 Brions did come in handy to show just what plane of greatness we are talking here....Which is a higher Dantean sphere again to the rather great, but not brilliant, Brions quartet.

Even the Cats quartet has the 4 Brions covered I'm afraid....And everyone knows I hate the Cats.

I think you are severely underrating Jimmy. Was a champion of the game. One of the better wet weather footballers of the modern era. Super courageous and also very versatile- could play forward, back and mid. Certainly wouldn’t give that selection an “Oh dear”.

My definition of an “Oh dear” selection would be Sam Mitchell over Voss!

Spare me....Both of Hodge & Burgoyne have Bartel covered every day of the week.... & twice on Sundays.

No....Their statistical betters in Mitchell, Hodge, Burgoyne & Lewis.....Though the 4 Brions did come in handy to show just what plane of greatness we are talking here....Which is a higher Dantean sphere again to the rather great, but not brilliant, Brions quartet.

Even the Cats quartet has the 4 Brions covered I'm afraid....And everyone knows I hate the Cats.

Damn, I thought you were actually serious. Now I know that you are just taking the piss and I have taken the bait. Well played sir!

Damn, I thought you were actually serious. Now I know that you are just taking the piss and I have taken the bait. Well played sir!

Go read the relevant thread & all the stats....Then get back to me.

The facts & the stats don't lie....Only opinions do that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spare me....Both of Hodge & Burgoyne have Bartel covered every day of the week.... & twice on Sundays.

? Wasn’t comparing him to Hodge or Silk. I was just outlining some of his strengths as a footballer. There was no comparison made, just thought you were underrating him as a player.

? Wasn’t comparing him to Hodge or Silk. I was just outlining some of his strengths as a footballer. There was no comparison made, just thought you were underrating him as a player.

Context....You were replying to a post of mine where I was questioning the posters lack of Hawk players, when they had heaps of Cats & Lions....When we had just as good a record + 1 more premiership than them both......But apparently we were such an even side, with no stand-out players, who just got lucky.

Go read the relevant thread & all the stats....Then get back to me.

The facts & the stats don't lie....Only opinions do that.

Disagree. Stats certainly can lie. Not always a true reflection of how much a player brings to the table. I agree you can take a lot from stats, but only looking at stats only is silly. Here’s one for you... The 4 lions boys had triple the amount of brownlow’s than the hawks team did. (And the only one you did win, you really came equal second). Surely those stats would suggest the lions had the superior 4?

Disagree. Stats certainly can lie. Not always a true reflection of how much a player brings to the table. I agree you can take a lot from stats, but only looking at stats only is silly. Here’s one for you... The 4 lions boys had triple the amount of brownlow’s than the hawks team did. (And the only one you did win, you really came equal second). Surely those stats would suggest the lions had the superior 4?

Lies, damn lies & statistics.

O.K here's one for you then.....Sam Mitchell has more Brownlow votes than any Lions player.....Such a shame he didn't horde them all in the one season like Ackermanis did.....And Hodge has nearly as many as Voss.

Lies, damn lies & statistics.

O.K here's one for you then.....Sam Mitchell has more Brownlow votes than any Lions player.....Such a shame he didn't horde them all in the one season like Ackermanis did.....And Hodge has nearly as many as Voss.

Another one for you my friend...
Hawks fab 4 total Brownlow votes: 412 from 1318 games
Lions fab 4 Brownlow votes (the real fab 4): 534 from 1129 games
The Lions boys received 122 more votes in 189 games less.
In regards to your last point, I would love Hodge to actually pass Vossy’s career Brownlow votes, since he is a mighty lion now! Cheers for giving us Hodgey and cheers for taking Rhan Hooper off our hands.

Another one for you my friend...
Hawks fab 4 total Brownlow votes: 412 from 1318 games
Lions fab 4 Brownlow votes (the real fab 4): 534 from 1129 games
The Lions boys received 122 more votes in 189 games less.
In regards to your last point, I would love Hodge to actually pass Vossy’s career Brownlow votes, since he is a mighty lion now! Cheers for giving us Hodgey and cheers for taking Rhan Hooper off our hands.

LOL.....Brions 534 votes.....Hawks 512......Talk about getting your facts wrong & nor are Hodge, Burgoyne or Lewis finished yet.....So it'll likely end up fairly even, after all is said & done.

Oh yeah....4 Premierships = Super-stardom>>>>>>>3 Premierships = Great but not Super.

LOL.....Brions 534 votes.....Hawks 512......Talk about getting your facts wrong & nor are Hodge, Burgoyne or Lewis finished yet.....So it'll likely end up fairly even, after all is said & done.

Oh yeah....4 Premierships = Super-stardom>>>>>>>3 Premierships = Great but not Super.

Don’t even get me started on the premierships...We got screwed by the AFL scheduling in 2004. Robbed, should have been 4 in a row. As Pykey said in his interview on Open Mike, we should have boycotted the grand final parade after what happened to us.
Just checked the stats again and yes you are right. Put a 4 instead of the 5, I’ll cop that on the chin. Were my facts wrong about the games played? Or Brisbane still clearly in front there?
It’s probably best to leave it there anyway, as it’s very clear that neither of us will change our stance on this. The banter has been fun though! Hawks are my ‘second team’ as my dads side are all mad brown and gold, so genuinely hope you boys have a good year. FWIW I have you finishing between 8th - 10th this year with Brisbane 12th - 13th.

B: Enright, Fletcher, Scarlett
HB: Hodge, Rance, Goddard
C: Goodes, Swan, Cousins
HF: Martin, Riewoldt, Franklin
F: Milne, Fevola, Rioli
R: Cox, Ablett, Judd
Int: Pavlich, Bartel, S.Mitchell, Hayes

C.Enright M.Scarlett C.Johnson
L.Hodge A.Rance S.Mitchell
R.Harvey S.Black S.Pendlebury
G.Ablett (jnr) N.Reiwoldt L.Franklin
C.Rioli M.Llyod E.Betts

D.Cox M.Voss N.Buckley

Int: J.Hird M.Pavlich B.Cousins S.Burgoyne

My team:

B: G. Southby M.Scarlett G.Ayres

HB: J.Rantall P.Knights G.Jakovich

C: C.Bradley R.Ebert P.Matera

HF: G.Ablett snr W.Carey(c) W.Johnston

F: T.Lockett J.Dunstall B.Cable

R: S.Madden B.Robran L.Matthews

INT: S.Michael G.McIntosh G.Ablett jnr T.Daniher

EMERG: G.Dempsey K.Barlett M.Aish G.Raines

COACH: Ron Barassi

My team:

B: G. Southby M.Scarlett G.Ayres

HB: J.Rantall P.Knights G.Jakovich

C: C.Bradley R.Ebert P.Matera

HF: G.Ablett snr W.Carey(c) W.Johnston

F: T.Lockett J.Dunstall B.Cable

R: S.Madden B.Robran L.Matthews

INT: S.Michael G.McIntosh G.Ablett jnr T.Daniher

EMERG: G.Dempsey K.Barlett M.Aish G.Raines

COACH: Ron Barassi
An interesting side that includes non AFL players.

That’s nice for looking at a broader scope of things. Whilst not for me, I like reading about non AFL greats.

If I may ask, how Keith Grieg is bested by John Rantall? Also Grieg was a superior player in my view than any Daniher as it were. Though Neale we will never quite know due to his knees. Grieg certainly tops Terry Daniher.

But an interesting list nonetheless.

Retired players

B: Enright, Dench, Scarlett
HB: Rantall, Glendinning, Doull
C: Greig, Williams, Flower
HF: Jesaulenko, Carey, Blight
F: Ablett (snr), Dunstall, Matthews

R: Dempsey, Voss, Cable

Int: S. Madden, P. Daicos, K. Bartlett, C.Judd

Emerg: R.Harvey, P. Knights, N. Buckley, T. Lockett

Remove this Banner Ad

Back