• Xerri

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • McKenzie

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Red Og Murphy

Votes: 4 2.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he announced himself as a potential star.

I don't think he's 'broken out'.

That is how I see it.

If he averages 23 possessions, plays a few match winning games and does well against top line opposition and in finals for the whole year then that would be breaking out.

imo anyway.

I went EVW.

Next would be Simpkin & Ahern... LDU & Walker a year behind them.

McKay to have a good year relative to last year, but I think being a big bloke that's only played 1 senior game (?) - he will have some good games, but perhaps not a full, break out year. Still, I wish him all the best and hope that he does!

I got on Dumont and Anderson last year - I hope they continue the upward trend too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Simpkin for me.

I hope Durds get a run and shows something. I find him, McDonald, and Wood the hardest to predict.

I'd been mulling over this for a few days and was absolutely convinced on casting my vote with Zurhaar. Just feel that he's got so many attributes including pace and aggression that would give our side the x-factor we're wanting if he's getting consistent game time. Other candidates in my mind were the obvious in Ahern, McKay, Simpkin, WW and Tarryn.

In saying that however I just can't go past LDU. We picked him up at No. 4 in the draft last year for a reason. Up until the day before he was potentially No. 1 in the draft. Not all players naturally transfer their abilities immediately from underage to AFL in their first year. For me LDU was someone who just needed a year to adapt and build his fitness and strength to the level. We've seen his elite attributes in glimpses. I'm tipping he's ready to go now, and will start to increasingly show the competition this year that he's destined to be a star.

I voted for Walker but I'm excited to see what LDU, Simpkin and Ahern can do. I'm not sure if Murph will get the opportunity but He would be my smokey.

I'd been mulling over this for a few days and was absolutely convinced on casting my vote with Zurhaar.

I reckon there's a strong correlation between Cam getting games and our injury toll.

If he has a big year, we won't be playing finals.

Simpkin for me.

I hope Durds get a run and shows something. I find him, McDonald, and Wood the hardest to predict.
I'd also like to see Durds have a crack this year, maybe as a roaming forward. He has looked far too laconic in the past, needs to take a leaf out of Jed's book and play like his career depends on it(which it does).

Durdin's days of gifted games are over.

To get a "crack", he's going to have to bash the door off the hinges, considering arguably all of Tarrant, Daw, Thompson, McKay are infront of him.

I don't think we are going to just plonk him at CHF to test him out, with the modern game, we are much better at running a smaller forwardline in general.

Between Ziebell, Wood, Garner, Thomas, Walker, Zurhaar, Taylor we've got enough potential medium forwards there to fill an entire forward line before considering playing a natural defender who hasn't shown a lot forward in the VFL, out of position.

AFL is a brutal industry, but it's the nature of the beast, every year we bring in a bunch of kids just as talented as the year before, if you stagnate, you will eventually be passed over and find it extremely hard to force your way back.

Not saying he can't, but he will certainly have to show a fair bit to move up any pecking order.

Durd's best bet was to reinvent himself as a psuedo mobile ruckman kind of like how Malthouse played Leigh Brown at the Pies. However, with Campbell and Xerri and Nielson etc leaving, he probably has to play FB tbh.

Last edited:
With a bit of luck, Dumont could have a mega-breakout year. I’d like to see him starting to rack up the odd 40+ disposals games. That was his go when he was drafted, from memory. Jacobs, the same....

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can you break out if you’ve already broken out?
This is the ‘break out’ thread. The above post might be better in the ‘Official Mega Breakout Thread’.

With a bit of luck, Dumont could have a mega-breakout year. I’d like to see him starting to rack up the odd 40+ disposals games. That was his go when he was drafted, from memory. Jacobs, the same....

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can you break out if you’ve already broken out?
This is the ‘break out’ thread. The above post might be better in the ‘Official Mega Breakout Thread’.
I voted EVW on the basis not that he'll suddenly show great improvements in his game, but fingers crossed he'll be injury free and show consistently what he was already doing, and get recognition outside NM.

In the same way, it could well be a breakout year for Froggy in the sense that this will be the year the rest of the league notices that he's good.

Back