Your clubs 26 and under side

Remove this Banner Ad

God I’d hate to see the hype around Rioli If he started to perform to someone like Castagna’s level.

You mean, get worse?

Yeah, the BF nuffies would have a field day.

You mean, get worse?

Yeah, the BF nuffies would have a field day.
Castagna isn't great but he's better than Rioli

It is an absolute testament to how good a footballer Dustin Martin is that duds like Daniel Rioli, Jason Castagna and Nathan Broad are triple premiership players thanks to him. Strong argument that he's the GOAT based on that alone.

Hes the GOAT regardless, but the fact that youve listed Broad as a dud just shows how clueless you truly are

Its truly amazing that weve managed to win 3 flags in 4 years with a team full of "duds"

It's not 'full' of duds. Just those three.

BTW Broad was dropped twice this year, so obviously Hardwick is a bit more realistic about his ability than you are.

McIntosh, Caddy, Rioli, Stack, Broad, Balta, Bolton, Nankervis, Graham, Pickett were all left out of the team in 2020 when available to play. It is not much of a measure of whether you are a dud or not is it?

Broad, Castagna and Rioli have collectively been selected 35 of the 36 finals games for which they could have been selected over the last four seasons.

Now what’s the odds of a group of duds having a selection rate over 97% of the 12 finals the strongest club plays in a four year period?

It's not 'full' of duds. Just those three.

BTW Broad was dropped twice this year, so obviously Hardwick is a bit more realistic about his ability than you are.

Out of form doesnt make him a dud, plenty of good players have been dropped. ******* Coniglio got dropped last year.

He showed in finals how bloody good he is, does not get beaten

When you learn a thing or two, let me know

Rioli walks into any best 22.
Who does he displace in ours?

B: Wilkie Howard Paton
HB: Coffield Carlisle Clark
C: Hill Steele Hannebery
HF: Billings Marshall Gresham
F: Membrey King Butler
R: Ryder Crouch Jones
I: Ross Battle Long Higgins/Sinclair/Geary

At the very best he sneaks into that 22nd spot, but that is very debatable. Especially with another preseason into Higgins.

And if so, how many 26 and under teams have 6 players that get a game in every other team in the comp right now?

Even if you ruled Rioli out because most people don’t seem to understand his value the way we do, how many teams have five players who could genuinely displace a player in every other full strength team?

Well for us I'd expect these 11 to individually walk straight into the best 22 of every other team (Their highest B&F finish in the last two seasons in brackets):

Steele (1)
Crouch (1)
Gresham (6)
Billings (4)
Marshall (2)
Butler (2)
Jones (6)
Membrey (5)
Clark (9)
King
Coffield (5)

I'm also not sure there would be a team who wouldn't be able to find a spot up one end or the other for Battle, or else on the bench, to plug holes. Especially with another preseason under his belt.

Then you've got Howard, who is a 200cm KPD with speed, an excellent kick and leadership, who just came 3rd in the B&F of the team who finished 5th. And Wilkie, who's had consecutive 7th place B&F finishes, and ought to be better with a 3rd AFL preseason under his belt. Ask Jack Riewoldt for one how hard he is to get a kick on, and he's also an excellent intercept mark and left foot kick.

So you could make a very strong case for all 14 of them- with 11 of them having finished top 7 in a B&F at least once in the last two seasons.

While 2 of the remaining 3 just made the AFL 2020 22Under22 team of the year.

Last edited:
Even if you ruled Rioli out because most people don’t seem to understand his value the way we do, how many teams have five players who could genuinely displace a player in every other full strength team?
Five other players??
Richmond are not the only team with decent players you know.
Five just from my team
Grundy, Moore, Daicos, De Goey and Maynard.

I am sure there are plenty of other teams that could play this game with you too.

At the very best he sneaks into that 22nd spot, but that is very debatable. Especially with another preseason into Higgins.

I think what gets misconstrued is "walks in to any best 22" doesn't mean he's anything more than a 16 - 22 type guy.

Five other players??
Five just from my team

I am sure there are plenty of other teams that could play this game with you too.

Even Adelaide would have had close to 5 and they won the spoon.

Laird, Crouch, Crouch, plus Riley O'Brien would get a game in most sides as a starting ruckman. Lynch, Sloane, Smith, Doedee all likely find a spot in most as well*.

Seems Richmond posters have lost perspective on most things though.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most teams have a bench with a 4th inside mid, a back, a forward and a 3rd wing rotation or something like that. Long or Geary is your back, Billings is your wing, Ross is your inside guy and Rioli plays ahead of Sinclair and Higgins.

And it is not your 22nd spot, teams just don’t structure that way where they pick their 22nd best player but not their 23rd. The 4 and often 5 best non key position forward options get picked in each side almost always. If a your 5th best running back happens to be a better player than your 3rd best small forward, the backman won’t get selected.

Thats some very good youth Ross Lyon could work with lol.

the only old farts I see on that 22 you posted are Carlisle, Hannebery and Ryder

Five other players??
Five just from my team

There will be other teams who have 5 or even more, but how many? That statement was made I think in response to posters saying Richmond’s 26 and under team is no good. I was merely trying to demonstrate Richmond have a decent array of young players, not trying to claim we have a better list of youngsters than every other club.

I think I left Vlastuin off our list, so it would be Vlastuin, Baker, Graham, Bolton, Balta, Short, Stack who at their best would get picked in every other team’s best 22, maybe with a couple of exceptions where a team or two are especially strong in one area. Rioli and Castagna make up your own mind. A player like Ross has played pretty usefully at times. And like other clubs we have a few we can’t rightly judge yet. It is a decent list.

To your Collingwood list I would add Quaynor who I think looks a really nice player. Your guys are at this stage higher value players than ours, but they also tend to be closer to their prime.

The problem is I never made the statement Rioli would walk into any team’s best 22.

You seem so obsessed with this that you imagine things have been said that haven't.

I wasn't replying to you though? Speaking of obsessed...

If anything, it bolters the case for Rioli.

Tigers fans will see the other side of equalisation soon enough.

I thought the Hawks would be up and about in the finals for a long time, especially with stars Gunston, Bruest, Rioli still having heaps of years left after the 3peat. Then of course players like Duryea starring in a PF🤕🤕

Not apples and apples but I think once Cotch and Martin go the team will drop a fair bit.
Of course. Nothing lasts.

I reckon 1, maybe 2 more years of contending. I called 2021 as the last hurrah a couple of years ago.

Then some sort of list rebuild/refresh/something will be required to chase that next flag whenever that might be.

Well for us I'd expect these 11 to individually walk straight into the best 22 of every other team (Their highest B&F finish in the last two seasons in brackets):

Steele (1)
Crouch (1)
Gresham (6)
Billings (4)
Marshall (2)
Butler (2)
Jones (6)
Membrey (5)
Clark (9)
King
Coffield (5)

I'm also not sure there would be a team who wouldn't be able to find a spot up one end or the other for Battle, or else on the bench, to plug holes. Especially with another preseason under his belt.

Then you've got Howard, who is a 200cm KPD with speed, an excellent kick and leadership, who just came 3rd in the B&F of the team who finished 5th. And Wilkie, who's had consecutive 7th place B&F finishes, and ought to be better with a 3rd AFL preseason under his belt. Ask Jack Riewoldt for one how hard he is to get a kick on, and he's also an excellent intercept mark and left foot kick.

So you could make a very strong case for all 14 of them- with 11 of them having finished top 7 in a B&F at least once in the last two seasons.

While 2 of the remaining 3 just made the AFL 2020 22Under22 team of the year.

The Saints list of youngsters is deep. Not sure all of those walk straight into every other team. With a position like ruck you would probably need one of the top couple in the comp to say they walk into every other team. Marshall is not especially better than most team’s ruckmen. Steele, Clark, Gresham, Billings, Coffield, King, Paton I think you could make strong cases for getting selected in every other team. Crouch is 27 today so officially out of the discussion.

Butler already proved he couldn't get a game for one team. 😁

And what has this got to do with D Rioli being a very lucky and fortunate triple premiership player?

It actually proves the point.....he has been very lucky.
I've often felt the same, never really rated Rioli. Think he gets overrated based on his one amazing PF in 2017 and good game every 6 weeks.

Thinking about it though, the coach needed a player to fill a role of constant pressure, chasing, tackling and contribute goals where he can. Of all the players in Australia that could have done it, Dan was the one that made that spot his in our side. Not Butler, Stengle or Higgins, Dan was the one who did that role week in week out.

Lucky? Or did he just do what every player is asked which is to play their role week in week out? The position was there for all of those guys but none of them did it to the coaches requirement like Dan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back