Opinion Your Clubs best 20 Ever

Remove this Banner Ad

This team could've beaten anyone. It's been a good 26 years of supporting Carlton.

B: Aaron Joseph, Bret Thornton, Josh Bootsma
HB: Kane Lucas, Paul Bower, Dennis Armfield
C: Josh Bootsma, Dylan Buckley, David Ellard
HF: Tom Bell, Setanta Oh'Ailpin, Brock Mclean
F: Brad Fisher, Cameron Cloke, Nick Graham
Foll: Cameron Wood, Sam Kerridge, Nick Stevens
Int: Brendan Fevola, Chris Judd

This team could've beaten anyone. It's been a good 26 years of supporting Carlton.

B: Aaron Joseph, Bret Thornton, Josh Bootsma
HB: Kane Lucas, Paul Bower, Dennis Armfield
C: Josh Bootsma, Dylan Buckley, David Ellard
HF: Tom Bell, Setanta Oh'Ailpin, Brock Mclean
F: Brad Fisher, Cameron Cloke, Nick Graham
Foll: Cameron Wood, Sam Kerridge, Nick Stevens
Int: Brendan Fevola, Chris Judd

Nice alias..... Tigers poster already did this troll on the second post....Typical slow-moving & copy-Cat Blues posters.....absolutely zero originality.

Nice alias..... Tigers poster already did this troll on the second post....Typical slow-moving & copy-Cat Blues posters.....absolutely zero originality.
he literally posted Jack Graham 20 times, I would say this is far more original no?

To be honest, I didn't even read the first page of this thread. Just thought I'd chime in with an all-time great squad. Keep up boomer. I'm guessing 35 is your year of birth?

he literally posted Jack Graham 20 times, I would say this is far more original no?

To be honest, I didn't even read the first page of this thread. Just thought I'd chime in with an all-time great squad. Keep up boomer. I'm guessing 35 is your year of birth?

I'm literally splitting my sides at your lack of creativity & imagination.

So first off I don’t know a lot of players through the years so this is just the players I know or have heard of so excuse the glaring omissions. Not in position but best 20 I know.

Collingwood:
Coventry, Rose, Carmen, P Moore, Daicos, Buckley, Merret, L Richards, G Brown, Pendlebury, Picken, Thompson, W Richardson,S Burns, Barham, Greening, Clement, Millane, T Shaw and Wright.
coach: McHale.
Scott Burns and James Clement were so underrated in their career, they were so good for the team.

So first off I don’t know a lot of players through the years so this is just the players I know or have heard of so excuse the glaring omissions. Not in position but best 20 I know.

Collingwood:
Coventry, Rose, Carmen, P Moore, Daicos, Buckley, Merret, L Richards, G Brown, Pendlebury, Picken, Thompson, W Richardson,S Burns, Barham, Greening, Clement, Millane, T Shaw and Wright.
coach: McHale.
Scott Burns and James Clement were so underrated in their career, they were so good for the team.

2 Coventry's: Gordon ' Nuts' & Syd.....It'd be difficult to leave out the Collier brothers too, given they both played in 6 Premierships (Only 5 footballers have ever achieved that feat) & were pretty well the main-stays in those Premiership sides in the 20's & 30's....Harold Rumney & Charlie Dibbs would probably also want a mention, given they both played in 5 Premierships.

Then there's the greatest Full Back of your clubs history in Jack Regan....all these guys had far more stellar careers than most of the blokes you've mentioned...Most of Collingwood's success came about in their era. So I'd be putting a far greater emphasis on including them.

Last edited:
2 Coventry's: Gordon ' Nuts' & Syd.....It'd be difficult to leave out the Collier brothers too, given they both played in 6 Premierships (Only 5 footballers have ever achieved that feat) & were pretty well the main-stays in those Premiership sides in the 20's & 30's....Harold Rumney & Charlie Dibbs would probably also want a mention, given they both played in 5 Premierships.

Then there's the greatest Full Back of your clubs history in Jack Regan....all these guys had far more stellar careers than most of the blokes you've mentioned...Most of Collingwood's success came about in their era. So I'd be putting a far greater emphasis on including them.
Did you actually read what I said? I said this is from what I know and who I’ve heard of, it’s not the clubs best 20 more my 20, so please read the whole post.

Did you actually read what I said? I said this is from what I know and who I’ve heard of, it’s not the clubs best 20 more my 20, so please read the whole post.

Yes I did....That's why I filled in those 'glaring omissions' for you.....Note the Thread title: 'Ever'.

Yeah, no idea about the older players either. What I can probably say is, in the past 20 years the following players would make the side:

Bont, Macrae, Darcy, West, Lake, Grant, Rohan Smith, Barry Hall, Johnson, Cooney, Morris.

You could possibly make cases for Wood, Griffin and Libba jnr too.

Dempsey & Wynd would be the rucks.

Doug Hawkins on one wing, clearly....Tony Liberatore would be well ahead of his son for inclusion, I'd of thought.

Hard to leave out Bob Murphy too.

Of the 1954 Premiership lot, obviously Ted Whitten Senior & Charlie Sutton are the stand-outs.

Tough choice between Templeton, Quinlan & Beasley for the key forward posts, but I'd go with Quinlan & Templeton.....Barry Hall simply not in the same category or class....Jack Collins probably also deserves a spot. Norm Ware also considered something of a legend of the club.

Bob Murphy Brian Lake Scott Wynd
Rohan Smith Ted Whitten Dale Morris
Doug Hawkins Scott West Matthew Boyd
Chris Grant Bernie Quinlan Charlie Sutton
Brad Johnson Kelvin Templeton Norm Ware

Gary Dempsey Marcus Bontempelli Tony Libertore

John Schulz Jack Collins Arthur Oliver

Much like Richmond, Footscray has a plethora of champion ruckmen from which to choose.

B: B.Smith, M.Scarlett, I.Nankervis
HB: C.Enright, H.Taylor, T.Stewart
C: M.Turner, J.Selwood, G.Hocking
HF: G.Ablett snr, F.Flanagan, P.Couch
F: S.Johnson, D.Wade, T.Hawkins

Foll: G.Farmer, P.Dangerfield, G.Ablett Jnr

Int: J.Bartel, P.Chapman, C.Greaves, B.Ottens

Emery: D.Milburn, B.Stoneham, D.Marshall, A.Lord
Reckon you'd have to have the AFL Hall of Famer, Denis Marshall in at HBF ahead of Stewart, has to make the interchange bench.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon you'd have to have the AFL Hall of Famer, Denis Marshall in at HBF ahead of Stewart, has to make the interchange bench.

Was only that he played 4 seasons with us that left him off. Similar reason for G.Williams not being considered. For what it’s worth my old man said he was second to Farmer as the best player he’d seen play for the Cats until G.Ablett started.

Dempsey & Wynd would be the rucks.

Doug Hawkins on one wing, clearly....Tony Liberatore would be well ahead of his son for inclusion, I'd of thought.

Hard to leave out Bob Murphy too.

Of the 1954 Premiership lot, obviously Ted Whitten Senior & Charlie Sutton are the stand-outs.

Tough choice between Templeton, Quinlan & Beasley for the key forward posts, but I'd go with Quinlan & Templeton.....Barry Hall simply not in the same category or class....Jack Collins probably also deserves a spot. Norm Ware also considered something of a legend of the club.

Bob Murphy Brian Lake Scott Wynd
Rohan Smith Ted Whitten Dale Morris
Doug Hawkins Scott West Matthew Boyd
Chris Grant Bernie Quinlan Charlie Sutton
Brad Johnson Kelvin Templeton Norm Ware

Gary Dempsey Marcus Bontempelli Tony Libertore

John Schulz Jack Collins Arthur Oliver

Much like Richmond, Footscray has a plethora of champion ruckmen from which to choose.
Barry Hall criminally underrated IMO. Guy kicked more career goals than Peter Hudson.
Agree that Sutton and Whitten should be the first inclusions. Quinlan easily the best forward Doggies produced. Brad Johnson the best “modern” player Doggies produced (along with maybe Lake). Best current player at the Doggies for me is Bont.

Barry Hall criminally underrated IMO. Guy kicked more career goals than Peter Hudson..

Hall kicked 19 more goals across 15 full seasons at 3 different clubs.....Hudson only played 6 full seasons, kicking the tonne 5 times....The most Hall kicked was 80.

Hudson's goal average @5.64 is more than double that of Hall @2.58....He's no where near to being in the same conversation.

Hall kicked 19 more goals across 15 full seasons at 3 different clubs.....Hudson only played 6 full seasons, kicking the tonne 5 times....The most Hall kicked was 80.

Hudson's goal average @5.64 is more than double that of Hall @2.58....He's no where near to being in the same conversation.
I won’t downplay the legend that is Peter Hudson; however, I will say that at this time only seventeen players have kicked more career goals than the man and that includes Barry Hall who sits at #15 on the all-time goal kickers list. Out of the three clubs Barry Hall played for only three players currently outrank him: Tony Lockett (281 games @ 4.84 average), Lance Franklin (300 games @ 3.15 average), and Bernie Quinlan (366 games @ 2.23 average). It’s difficult to believe there’s no room in a side for a player who would be that side’s third or second highest ever goal-kicker. Also, Barry Hall’s a premiership captain, and surely that counts for something.

I won’t downplay the legend that is Peter Hudson; however, I will say that at this time only seventeen players have kicked more career goals than the man and that includes Barry Hall who sits at #15 on the all-time goal kickers list. Out of the three clubs Barry Hall played for only three players currently outrank him: Tony Lockett (281 games @ 4.84 average), Lance Franklin (300 games @ 3.15 average), and Bernie Quinlan (366 games @ 2.23 average). It’s difficult to believe there’s no room in a side for a player who would be that side’s third or second highest ever goal-kicker. Also, Barry Hall’s a premiership captain, and surely that counts for something.

You can't reasonably compare Quinlan's goal average, as he mostly played center half forward until his twilight years......Hall was a permanent full-forward throughout his career....Similarly, Buddy has seldom played the true full-forward role.

Hall isn't in the same league or conversation as any of these players you're comparing him to.....He's not even in Templeton's league....Even Beasley was a better full-forward than him.

Hall has longevity, resilience & sheer brute strength on his side.....But that's where the buck ends...His 80 goals in 2010 was bettered by All of Templeton, Beasley & Collins at the Dogs....He also only played for the Dogs for 2 seasons....You can't expect people to take these claims for his inclusion seriously, prefaced upon that fact alone....His achievements at both the Saints & Swans don't count either, when it comes to consideration of his Footscray career.....You're all over the shoppe here.

Hall well may be a premiership Captain, but he has the corrupted AFL & it's tribunal to thank for the possibility for that honor.

Last edited:
Barry Hall criminally underrated IMO. Guy kicked more career goals than Peter Hudson.
Agree that Sutton and Whitten should be the first inclusions. Quinlan easily the best forward Doggies produced. Brad Johnson the best “modern” player Doggies produced (along with maybe Lake). Best current player at the Doggies for me is Bont.
He may have kicked more goals than Peter Hudson, but he needed an extra 160 games to do it.

Same as you, I've seen them all except for Arthur and Peck but jeez, I reckon I'd have Jarman in there somewhere. I'd have any 2 from Jarman, Crawford and Buckenara as long as one of them was Jarman.
Jars would be the most outrageously talented Hawk, and yep, has a couple of B&Fs, but no.

Yeah, no idea about the older players either. What I can probably say is, in the past 20 years the following players would make the side:

Bont, Macrae, Darcy, West, Lake, Grant, Rohan Smith, Barry Hall, Johnson, Cooney, Morris.

You could possibly make cases for Wood, Griffin and Libba jnr too.
You guys have been spoiled for talent over the years...

Jars would be the most outrageously talented Hawk, and yep, has a couple of B&Fs, but no.

Jarman only has one B&F at Hawthorn, in 1995....The year we finished 15th.....So it doesn't mean terribly much from that perspective.

His best footy & peak years were played over in Adelaide....He simply never did enough at our club to warrant inclusion....Both of Bomber Hendrie & Bob Keddie had better careers with us than him.....Both of them were tremendous big-game finals performers; & Keddie won 2 B&F's....Jarman's finals heroics all came in Adelaide colors.

Gibson won 2 B&F's in premiership sides & even he doesn't get a gig.....Liberty Law won 3. Two of em in Grand Final years; & then there's Crimmo, who doesn't get a look in either.....Kennedy Senior won 4, but he's no Chance....It's a tough side to crack.

Didn't Quinlan do his best work at Fitzroy? Actually that would be an interesting exercise..... Guys that make the best ever 20 for 2 clubs (eg: Judd, Dempsey)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back