Opinion Your Clubs best 20 Ever

Remove this Banner Ad

jackenny

Club Legend
Jun 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Didn't Quinlan do his best work at Fitzroy? Actually that would be an interesting exercise..... Guys that make the best ever 20 for 2 clubs (eg: Judd, Dempsey)
True that. I’ve only watched him play via old clips on YouTube and old recordings of games, but my dad rates him as one of the best CHF he’s seen (only Carey and Buddy better).

The below highlights are mostly Fitzroy but I assume he used to do this awesome stuff with the Doggies, too - just a next level talent.

Procrastinator35

Hall of Famer
Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm
True that. I’ve only watched him play via old clips on YouTube and old recordings of games, but my dad rates him as one of the best CHF he’s seen (only Carey and Buddy better).

The below highlights are mostly Fitzroy but I assume he used to do this awesome stuff with the Doggies, too - just a next level talent.

That 60 meter torp he kicked at the Junction Oval against us @55 seconds in, he did on the regular.....I was there that day to see it live....Mind you, the wind blowing off Albert Park Lake - that usually blew in after half-time - did help some....He wasn't called Super-Boot for nothing.

jackenny

Club Legend
Jun 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Jarman only has one B&F at Hawthorn, in 1995....The year we finished 15th.....So it doesn't mean terribly much from that perspective.

His best footy & peak years were played over in Adelaide....He simply never did enough at our club to warrant inclusion....Both of Bomber Hendrie & Bob Keddie had better careers with us than him.....Both of them were tremendous big-game finals performers; & Keddie won 2 B&F's....Jarman's finals heroics all came in Adelaide colors.

Gibson won 2 B&F's in premiership sides & even he doesn't get a gig.....Liberty Law won 3. Two of em in Grand Final years; & then there's Crimmo, who doesn't get a look in either.....Kennedy Senior won 4, but he's no Chance....It's a tough side to crack.
Yeah, and as good as Jarman was as a finals hero for the Crows, the 1991 Grand Final was one of his worst games for the Hawks. Absolutely a lemon of a game for him. 1991 and 1992 were his best years with the Hawks, IMO. I know he won the 1995 B&F and AA honours in 1995 with the Hawks, but he was named as a forward pocket despite kicking 11 goals for the year... selection panel were hopeless at this time... BARE IN MIND this was during the Peter Knights era... basically, Peter Knights loved playing Jars off the half-back for some inexplicable reason (thus the low goal tally for 1995 - he was Knights go-to Mr Fix It at the time, probably why he won the B&F but aside from being a good team player it was a forgettable year).

Procrastinator35

Hall of Famer
Feb 24, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Yeah, and as good as Jarman was as a finals hero for the Crows, the 1991 Grand Final was one of his worst games for the Hawks. Absolutely a lemon of a game for him. 1991 and 1992 were his best years with the Hawks, IMO. I know he won the 1995 B&F and AA honours in 1995 with the Hawks, but he was named as a forward pocket despite kicking 11 goals for the year... selection panel were hopeless at this time... BARE IN MIND this was during the Peter Knights era... basically, Peter Knights loved playing Jars off the half-back for some inexplicable reason (thus the low goal tally for 1995 - he was Knights go-to Mr Fix It at the time, probably why he won the B&F but aside from being a good team player it was a forgettable year).
Jarman stood out like Dog Balls that year in a very poor side indeed....Something Crawford would go on to do for the next decade thereafter.

Paul Salmon won 2 B&F's in his mid 30's with us, towards the end of that decade & the end of his career....That's just how bloody ordinary we were at the time.

Anyways....5 seasons, 100 games & 1 B&F in a crap yer, is no where near good enough to warrant a place in the best 20 ever......Especially when that side is choc-full of 4 time premiership players.

He'd easily be in my Top 6 most skilled players to have ever played with us - alongside of Buddy, Cyril, Platten, Buckenara & Robertson.....But that's another conversation entirely.

Choogler

Debutant
Nov 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
That 60 meter torp he kicked at the Junction Oval against us @55 seconds in, he did on the regular.....I was there that day to see it live....Mind you, the wind blowing off Albert Park Lake - that usually blew in after half-time - did help some....He wasn't called Super-Boot for nothing.
Consistently kicked the ball further than anyone I've ever seen before or since!

Procrastinator35

Hall of Famer
Feb 24, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Consistently kicked the ball further than anyone I've ever seen before or since!
There was a few blokes who could roost it on the regular in the 70's....Blight, Tuck & Jess are 3 that come to mind right off the bat....Bomber Hendrie wasn't too shabby at it either - hence the nickname.

Eaglespur

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
McKenna Glass Sheppard
Hurn Jakovich McGovern
Matera Judd Gaff
Heady Darling Lewis
Matera Kennedy Lecras
Cox Cousins Kerr
Int - Wirra Shuey NN Yeo

Procrastinator35

Hall of Famer
Feb 24, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
McKenna Glass Sheppard
Hurn Jakovich McGovern
Matera Judd Gaff
Heady Darling Lewis
Matera Kennedy Lecras
Cox Cousins Kerr
Int - Wirra Shuey NN Yeo
Worsfold>>>Sheppard.

Sumich at Full Forward, Kennedy to CHF.

Kemp & Mainwaring also thereabouts....Both in front of Phil Matera.

Remove this Banner Ad

Top Bottom