Opinion Your Clubs best 20 Ever

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm
O.K, so I may be an old fart n all, but I can hardly claim to have seen every player who has represented my club at VFL/AFL level.....I'd need to be near on 106 to have done that & I'm only half way there.

However, most of my clubs' success has occurred during the last 50 years, so it's fair to say that most of our better players have played during that era....That being the case, I feel that I'm both justified & warranted in selecting a best of Ever-er side, for our entire history.

If there's one club that has a definitive Elite 20, then it's most definitely Hawthorn.

Coach: John Kennedy Senior; The God-Father of Hawthorn.

Backline: Gary Ayres, Chris Langford, Kelvin Moore
Half Back: Peter Knights, Chris Mew, Luke Hodge
Centreline: Shane Crawford, Sam Mitchell, Robert Dipierdomenico
Half Forward: Gary Buckenara, Dermott Brereton, Lance Franklin
Forwardline: Leigh Matthews, Peter Hudson, Jason Dunstall
Rucks/Rover: Don Scott, Michael Tuck, John Platten

Interchange: Graham Arthur, John Peck.

Note: Arthur & Peck are the only 2 selected that I never saw first-hand, live in action....However, they were both club stalwarts (over 200 games), captains & instrumental in bringing about the first Premiership cup to Hawthorn....In fact, our success turned on their arrivals to the club, in conjunction with Kennedy as coach....Both were regular Victorian reps, with Arthur our youngest ever captain & 4 time B&F winner.....While Peck won the Coleman on 3 separate occasions. Both represented our club for over 13 seasons.

There's 8 blokes in my side who have played over 300 games & for a minimum of 15 seasons; Langford, Moore, Hodge, Crawford, Mitchell, Scott, Matthews & Tuck.....All automatic selections.

Ayres, Mew, Brereton & Dipierdomenico have played in 5 Premierships each....a feat which only 21 players in the games history have achieved.....All automatic selections.

Dunstall & Hudson's records as full-forwards speak for themselves....While Buckenara & Platten remain 2 of the most sublimely gifted & talented players to have donned our jumper, both winning 4 premierships along the journey.....Buddy pretty well picks himself for the unique talent & ultimate X-factor that he is, While 2 Time B&F winner in Peter Knights remains the most gifted aerialist I've ever seen grace a football field; Having played 17 seasons & come 2nd twice in the Brownlow medal - in spite of injuries in those years.

I couldn't find a spot for Cyril, but he'd most definitely be the 21st man.

What's your clubs best 20 ever-er?

B: Jack Graham, Jack Graham, Jack Graham
HB: Jack Graham, Jack Graham, Jack Graham
C: Jack Graham, Jack Graham, Jack Graham
HF: Jack Graham, Jack Graham, Jack Graham
F: Jack Graham, Jack Graham, Jack Graham
RUCK: Jack Graham, Jack Graham, Jack Graham
INT: Jack Graham, Jack Graham, Jack Graham, Jack Graham

• Banned
B: Jack Graham, Jack Graham, Jack Graham
HB: Jack Graham, Jack Graham, Jack Graham
C: Jack Graham, Jack Graham, Jack Graham
HF: Jack Graham, Jack Graham, Jack Graham
F: Jack Graham, Jack Graham, Jack Graham
RUCK: Jack Graham, Jack Graham, Jack Graham
INT: Jack Graham, Jack Graham, Jack Graham, Jack Graham

FMDrunk:rolleyes::drunk:

Seen as you've missed the gist entirely. I'll take a crack at the Richmond best ever team myself.

Coach: Tom Hafey

Backline: Kevin Sheedy, Roy Wright, Wayne Campbell
Half Back: Francis Bourke, Alex Rance, Merv Keane
Centreline: Dick Clay, Ian Stewart, Trent Cotchin
Half Forward: Maurice Rioli, Matthew Richardson, Royce Hart
Forward line: Jack Titus, Michael Roach, Dale Weighman
Rucks/Rover: Percy Bentley, Dustin Martin, Kevin Bartlett

Interchange: Jack Dyer, Tom O'Halloran

FMDrunk:rolleyes::drunk:

Seen as you've missed the gist entirely. I'll take a crack at the Richmond best ever team myself.

Needs Jack Graham

Backline : Bernie Smith Gary Malarkey Matthew Scarlett
Halfback : Corey Enright Jack Hawkins Tom Stewart
Centreline : Michael Turner Greg Williams Patrick Dangerfield
Half forward : Gary Ablett Snr Cameron Mooney Steven Johnson
Full Forward : Paul Chapman Doug Wade David Clarke Snr
Ruck : Polly Farmer Garry Hocking Gary Ablett Jnr

Interchange : Ian Nankervis Paul Couch

Polly and Bernie Smith I never saw play, Wade I only saw when he was at North.

Mooney might raise some eyebrows, but he was a very skilled footballer on both sides of his body. Stoneham may have had a higher peak, but it was only for a very brief period prior to breaking his leg.

Malarkey was a personal favourite but was a very fine full back. Scarlett could play however the game required, short, tall, dour or attacking.

O.K, so I may be an old fart n all, but I can hardly claim to have seen every player who has represented my club at VFL/AFL level.....I'd need to be near on 106 to have done that & I'm only half way there.

However, most of my clubs' success has occurred during the last 50 years, so it's fair to say that most of our better players have played during that era....That being the case, I feel that I'm both justified & warranted in selecting a best of Ever-er side, for our entire history.

If there's one club that has a definitive Elite 20, then it's most definitely Hawthorn.

Note: Arthur & Peck are the only 2 selected that I never saw first-hand, live in action....However, they were both club stalwarts (over 200 games), captains & instrumental in bringing about the first Premiership cup to Hawthorn....In fact, our success turned on their arrivals to the club, in conjunction with Kennedy as coach....Both were regular Victorian reps, with Arthur our youngest ever captain & 4 time B&F winner.....While Peck won the Coleman on 3 separate occasions. Both represented our club for over 13 seasons.

There's 8 blokes in my side who have played over 300 games & for a minimum of 15 seasons; Langford, Moore, Hodge, Crawford, Mitchell, Scott, Matthews & Tuck.....All automatic selections.

Ayres, Mew, Brereton & Dipierdomenico have played in 5 Premierships each....a feat which only 21 players in the games history have achieved.....All automatic selections.

Dunstall & Hudson's records as full-forwards speak for themselves....While Buckenara & Platten remain 2 of the most sublimely gifted & talented players to have donned our jumper, both winning 4 premierships along the journey.....Buddy pretty well picks himself for the unique talent & ultimate X-factor that he is, While 2 Time B&F winner in Peter Knights remains the most gifted aerialist I've ever seen grace a football field; Having played 17 seasons & come 2nd twice in the Brownlow medal - in spite of injuries in those years.

Same as you, I've seen them all except for Arthur and Peck but jeez, I reckon I'd have Jarman in there somewhere. I'd have any 2 from Jarman, Crawford and Buckenara as long as one of them was Jarman.

• Banned

Mooney might raise some eyebrows, but he was a very skilled footballer on both sides of his body. Stoneham may have had a higher peak, but it was only for a very brief period prior to breaking his leg.

Malarkey was a personal favourite but was a very fine full back. Scarlett could play however the game required, short, tall, dour or attacking.

Mooney doesn't belong in any 'best offs' thread.....Even John 'Sammy' Newman would have been a better choice.....Even Billy Brownness for that matter.

Harry Taylor ahead of Hawkins, surely.....I'd turf Malarkey altogether & put Bruce Nankervis in the back pocket.

Same as you, I've seen them all except for Arthur and Peck but jeez, I reckon I'd have Jarman in there somewhere. I'd have any 2 from Jarman, Crawford and Buckenara as long as one of them was Jarman.

I hear you....But Jarman didn't play for long enough & only played in 1 Premiership with us in 1991, where he was a complete passenger that day....He hit his peak in his final season with us in 1995, winning our B&F that year, when we hit near rock-bottom in coming second last….His best footy was played over in Adelaide thereafter, where he led them to Back to back flags.....Bucky had the way superior career by comparison....His 1986-1989 form was superb, in leading us to 3 Premierships from out of the middle.

Jarman would be in the second-string team, alongside of John 'Bomber' Hendrie on the other flank.

Mooney doesn't belong in any 'best offs' thread.....Even John 'Sammy' Newman would have been a better choice.....Even Billy Brownness for that matter.

Harry Taylor ahead of Hawkins, surely.....I'd turf Malarkey altogether & put Bruce Nankervis in the back pocket.

I hear you....But Jarman didn't play for long enough & only played in 1 Premiership with us in 1991, where he was a complete passenger that day....He hit his peak in his final season with us in 1995, winning our B&F that year, when we hit near rock-bottom in coming second last….His best footy was played over in Adelaide thereafter, where he led them to Back to back flags.....Bucky had the way superior career by comparison....His 1986-1989 form was superb, in leading us to 3 Premierships from out of the middle.

Jarman would be in the second-string team, alongside of John 'Bomber' Hendrie on the other flank.

It was Ian Nankervis that ended up as the backpocket, not Bruce.

• Banned
It was Ian Nankervis that ended up as the backpocket, not Bruce.

So Ian in the pocket & Bruce on the bench then.....Bruce was a 1970's regular at the top of the possessions charts, alongside of Wilson & Bartlett.

I reckon you could do with a couple more from the Back to back 51/52 side also.....Bob Davis & Fred Flanagan come to mind.

Last edited:

So serious question from a not-so-old fart, but is Gary Buckenara truly a starting forward flank before a Cyril or Luke Breust? Interested to hear your take on this. Won't argue because I wasn't around to watch Buckenera play.

So serious question from a not-so-old fart, but is Gary Buckenara truly a starting forward flank before a Cyril or Luke Breust? Interested to hear your take on this. Won't argue because I wasn't around to watch Buckenera play.

Yes.....Buckenara was a star & up another level to Breust altogether.....He was equally at home out of the centre also.

So Ian in the pocket & Bruce on the bench then.....Bruce was a 1970's regular at the top of the possessions charts, alongside of Wilson & Bartlett.

I reckon you could do with a couple more from the Back to back 51/52 side also.....Bob Davis & Fred Flanagan come to mind.
What about John Watts at Full Back

Did you see a couple of West Aussies in John Watts and Denis Marshall play. Marshall in particular played 84 games for Geelong between 64 and 68. Won Geelong F&B in 66 and 2nd in Brownlow medal in 68. Represented Victoria 8 times including at 66 Hobart Carnival where he also was an All Australian. Inducted into AFL Hall of Fame in 2004. Must have been a fair player..

Did you see a couple of West Aussies in John Watts and Denis Marshall play. Marshall in particular played 84 games for Geelong between 64 and 68. Won Geelong F&B in 66 and 2nd in Brownlow medal in 68. Represented Victoria 8 times including at 66 Hobart Carnival where he also was an All Australian. Inducted into AFL Hall of Fame in 2004. Must have been a fair player..

I was born in '68 went to my first game in about 72 or 73. My old man was an Essendon supporter so he took me to Windy Hill for Geelong v Essendon.

There's some supporters older than me that all have Marshall in their best ofs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess the pertinent question remains: Is 84 games ample enough to be included in a club's Best 20 ever?

Peter Hudson played the fewest @129 in my best of 20 at Hawthorn....But he kicked 727 goals at the highest average in VFL/aFL history, including 5 tonnes from 6 full seasons....The next fewest was Buckenara on 154 games in 9 seasons, kicking almost 300 goals, & playing in 4 Premierships.

Buddy & Brereton are the only other 2 players in my Best 20, not to have reached the 200 game milestone with us.

So I'll take a crack at the Best ever 20 for North Melbourne:

B: Anthony Stevens David Dench John Blakey
HB: Glenn Archer Ross Glendinning Adam Simpson
C: Keith Greig Les Foote Wayne Schimmelbusch
HF: Allen Aylett Wayne Carey John Dugdale
F: Brent Harvey Drew Petrie Jim Krakouer
R: Gary Dempsey Malcolm Blight Barry Cable

Int: Phil Krakouer Noel Teasdale

Essendon:

B: Mark Thompson Dustin Fletcher Gavin Wanganeen
HB: Barry Davis Ken Fletcher Glenn Hawker
C: Michel Long Bill Hutchison Jack Clarke
HF: Terry Daniher Jimmy Hird Mark Harvey
F: Matthew Lloyd John Coleman Graham Moss
R: Simon Madden Tim Watson Dick Reynolds

Int: Paul Van Der Haar Scott Lucas

In 1998, Richmond announced their Team of the 20th Century (selected by people far more qualified than me).

B : Sheedy, Thorp, Green.
HB : McCormack, Strang, Keane.
C : Bourke, Barrot, Clay.
HF : Richardson, Hart, Dean.
F : Weightman, Titus, Morris.
Foll : Wright, Dyer, Bartlett.
Int : Rowe, Raines, Stewart, Knights.

Now many of those names are just words on a page, or grainy old video footage to me, so I can't really judge, apart from noting the lack of height amongst the possible Ruckmen. But I'd have thought you'd take that team as a starting point, and then find ways to work in Dusty, Cotch, Jack and Alex.

B: B.Smith, M.Scarlett, I.Nankervis
HB: C.Enright, H.Taylor, T.Stewart
C: M.Turner, J.Selwood, G.Hocking
HF: G.Ablett snr, F.Flanagan, P.Couch
F: S.Johnson, D.Wade, T.Hawkins

Foll: G.Farmer, P.Dangerfield, G.Ablett Jnr

Int: J.Bartel, P.Chapman, C.Greaves, B.Ottens

Emery: D.Milburn, B.Stoneham, D.Marshall, A.Lord

B: B.Smith, M.Scarlett, I.Nankervis
HB: C.Enright, H.Taylor, T.Stewart
C: M.Turner, J.Selwood, G.Hocking
HF: G.Ablett snr, F.Flanagan, P.Couch
F: S.Johnson, D.Wade, T.Hawkins

Foll: G.Farmer, P.Dangerfield, G.Ablett Jnr

Int: J.Bartel, P.Chapman, C.Greaves, B.Ottens

Emery: D.Milburn, B.Stoneham, D.Marshall, A.Lord

Edit: R.Hickey could be substituted for H.Taylor. Both champions.

2nd edit: forgot Billy Goggin. Probably deserving of being in the 22.

Last edited:
In 1998, Richmond announced their Team of the 20th Century (selected by people far more qualified than me).

B : Sheedy, Thorp, Green.
HB : McCormack, Strang, Keane.
C : Bourke, Barrot, Clay.
HF : Richardson, Hart, Dean.
F : Weightman, Titus, Morris.
Foll : Wright, Dyer, Bartlett.
Int : Rowe, Raines, Stewart, Knights.

Now many of those names are just words on a page, or grainy old video footage to me, so I can't really judge, apart from noting the lack of height amongst the possible Ruckmen. But I'd have thought you'd take that team as a starting point, and then find ways to work in Dusty, Cotch, Jack and Alex.

OUT: Strang, McCormack, Rowe, Stewart
IN: Rance, Martin, M.Rioli, Cotchin

No room for Jack. Stewart out due to playing only 78 games.

OUT: Strang, McCormack, Rowe, Stewart
IN: Rance, Martin, M.Rioli, Cotchin

No room for Jack. Stewart out due to playing only 78 games.

Still reckon my 20 is superior.

Still reckon my 20 is superior.

Sorry mate, but a few facts. Roy Wright was a dual Brownlow Medallist in the ruck and you have him at full back. Vic Thorp was the champion full back of his era. Wayne Campbell won 4 B&F's as a midfielder. Granted he went to defence late in his career, but more of a running half back. Nobody pushes Royce Hart from CHF, nobody. Richo a roaming forward can be named on the flank. Leaving out Bill Barrot is a massive exclusion. A big game player, he must be included. Bill Morris was regarded as a champion ruckman & has to be named alongside Wright. They won 3 of the 7 Brownlows between them from 1948-54. Morris easily over Percy Bentley. It was tough for me to leave out Stewart but his total of only 78 games swayed me to put Maurice Rioli in his place.

Sorry mate, but a few facts. Roy Wright was a dual Brownlow Medallist in the ruck and you have him at full back. Vic Thorp was the champion full back of his era. Wayne Campbell won 4 B&F's as a midfielder. Granted he went to defence late in his career, but more of a running half back. Nobody pushes Royce Hart from CHF, nobody. Richo a roaming forward can be named on the flank. Leaving out Bill Barrot is a massive exclusion. A big game player, he must be included. Bill Morris was regarded as a champion ruckman & has to be named alongside Wright. They won 3 of the 7 Brownlows between them from 1948-54. Morris easily over Percy Bentley. It was tough for me to leave out Stewart but his total of only 78 games swayed me to put Maurice Rioli in his place.

It seems your mob has the opposite dilemma to mine....Too many champion ruck-men from which to chose.

We've had bugger-all really, So I'm forced to name Don Scott for his fighting tenacity, longevity & never-say-die warrior spirit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back