Opinion Your Clubs best 20 Ever

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't Quinlan do his best work at Fitzroy? Actually that would be an interesting exercise..... Guys that make the best ever 20 for 2 clubs (eg: Judd, Dempsey)
True that. I’ve only watched him play via old clips on YouTube and old recordings of games, but my dad rates him as one of the best CHF he’s seen (only Carey and Buddy better).

The below highlights are mostly Fitzroy but I assume he used to do this awesome stuff with the Doggies, too - just a next level talent.

True that. I’ve only watched him play via old clips on YouTube and old recordings of games, but my dad rates him as one of the best CHF he’s seen (only Carey and Buddy better).

The below highlights are mostly Fitzroy but I assume he used to do this awesome stuff with the Doggies, too - just a next level talent.

That 60 meter torp he kicked at the Junction Oval against us @55 seconds in, he did on the regular.....I was there that day to see it live....Mind you, the wind blowing off Albert Park Lake - that usually blew in after half-time - did help some....He wasn't called Super-Boot for nothing.

Jarman only has one B&F at Hawthorn, in 1995....The year we finished 15th.....So it doesn't mean terribly much from that perspective.

His best footy & peak years were played over in Adelaide....He simply never did enough at our club to warrant inclusion....Both of Bomber Hendrie & Bob Keddie had better careers with us than him.....Both of them were tremendous big-game finals performers; & Keddie won 2 B&F's....Jarman's finals heroics all came in Adelaide colors.

Gibson won 2 B&F's in premiership sides & even he doesn't get a gig.....Liberty Law won 3. Two of em in Grand Final years; & then there's Crimmo, who doesn't get a look in either.....Kennedy Senior won 4, but he's no Chance....It's a tough side to crack.
Yeah, and as good as Jarman was as a finals hero for the Crows, the 1991 Grand Final was one of his worst games for the Hawks. Absolutely a lemon of a game for him. 1991 and 1992 were his best years with the Hawks, IMO. I know he won the 1995 B&F and AA honours in 1995 with the Hawks, but he was named as a forward pocket despite kicking 11 goals for the year... selection panel were hopeless at this time... BARE IN MIND this was during the Peter Knights era... basically, Peter Knights loved playing Jars off the half-back for some inexplicable reason (thus the low goal tally for 1995 - he was Knights go-to Mr Fix It at the time, probably why he won the B&F but aside from being a good team player it was a forgettable year).

Yeah, and as good as Jarman was as a finals hero for the Crows, the 1991 Grand Final was one of his worst games for the Hawks. Absolutely a lemon of a game for him. 1991 and 1992 were his best years with the Hawks, IMO. I know he won the 1995 B&F and AA honours in 1995 with the Hawks, but he was named as a forward pocket despite kicking 11 goals for the year... selection panel were hopeless at this time... BARE IN MIND this was during the Peter Knights era... basically, Peter Knights loved playing Jars off the half-back for some inexplicable reason (thus the low goal tally for 1995 - he was Knights go-to Mr Fix It at the time, probably why he won the B&F but aside from being a good team player it was a forgettable year).

Jarman stood out like Dog Balls that year in a very poor side indeed....Something Crawford would go on to do for the next decade thereafter.

Paul Salmon won 2 B&F's in his mid 30's with us, towards the end of that decade & the end of his career....That's just how bloody ordinary we were at the time.

Anyways....5 seasons, 100 games & 1 B&F in a crap yer, is no where near good enough to warrant a place in the best 20 ever......Especially when that side is choc-full of 4 time premiership players.

He'd easily be in my Top 6 most skilled players to have ever played with us - alongside of Buddy, Cyril, Platten, Buckenara & Robertson.....But that's another conversation entirely.

That 60 meter torp he kicked at the Junction Oval against us @55 seconds in, he did on the regular.....I was there that day to see it live....Mind you, the wind blowing off Albert Park Lake - that usually blew in after half-time - did help some....He wasn't called Super-Boot for nothing.
Consistently kicked the ball further than anyone I've ever seen before or since!

Consistently kicked the ball further than anyone I've ever seen before or since!

There was a few blokes who could roost it on the regular in the 70's....Blight, Tuck & Jess are 3 that come to mind right off the bat....Bomber Hendrie wasn't too shabby at it either - hence the nickname.

McKenna Glass Sheppard
Hurn Jakovich McGovern
Matera Judd Gaff
Heady Darling Lewis
Matera Kennedy Lecras
Cox Cousins Kerr
Int - Wirra Shuey NN Yeo

McKenna Glass Sheppard
Hurn Jakovich McGovern
Matera Judd Gaff
Heady Darling Lewis
Matera Kennedy Lecras
Cox Cousins Kerr
Int - Wirra Shuey NN Yeo

Worsfold>>>Sheppard.

Sumich at Full Forward, Kennedy to CHF.

Kemp & Mainwaring also thereabouts....Both in front of Phil Matera.

So serious question from a not-so-old fart, but is Gary Buckenara truly a starting forward flank before a Cyril or Luke Breust? Interested to hear your take on this. Won't argue because I wasn't around to watch Buckenera play.
Buckenara without question ahead of both of them.

Back-----------D.Wirrpanda---D.Glass---M.Brennan
1/2 Back----J.Worsfold-----G.Jackovich-----G.McKenna
----------------------D.Cox--------C.Judd
Centre----Pe.Matera-----------------------A.Gaff
----------------------B.Cousins----D.Kerr
1/2 Forward-C.Lewis------J.Kennedy-----C.Mainwaring
Forward-----M.LeCras-----P.Sumich------Ph.Matera

Bench: J.McGovern, B.Sheppard

O.K, so I may be an old fart n all, but I can hardly claim to have seen every player who has represented my club at VFL/AFL level.....I'd need to be near on 106 to have done that & I'm only half way there.

However, most of my clubs' success has occurred during the last 50 years, so it's fair to say that most of our better players have played during that era....That being the case, I feel that I'm both justified & warranted in selecting a best of Ever-er side, for our entire history.

If there's one club that has a definitive Elite 20, then it's most definitely Hawthorn.

Coach: John Kennedy Senior; The God-Father of Hawthorn.

Backline: Gary Ayres, Chris Langford, Kelvin Moore
Half Back: Peter Knights, Chris Mew, Luke Hodge
Centreline: Shane Crawford, Sam Mitchell, Robert Dipierdomenico
Half Forward: Gary Buckenara, Dermott Brereton, Lance Franklin
Forwardline: Leigh Matthews, Peter Hudson, Jason Dunstall
Rucks/Rover: Don Scott, Michael Tuck, John Platten

Interchange: Graham Arthur, John Peck.

Note: Arthur & Peck are the only 2 selected that I never saw first-hand, live in action....However, they were both club stalwarts (over 200 games), captains & instrumental in bringing about the first Premiership cup to Hawthorn....In fact, our success turned on their arrivals to the club, in conjunction with Kennedy as coach....Both were regular Victorian reps, with Arthur our youngest ever captain & 4 time B&F winner.....While Peck won the Coleman on 3 separate occasions. Both represented our club for over 13 seasons.

There's 8 blokes in my side who have played over 300 games & for a minimum of 15 seasons; Langford, Moore, Hodge, Crawford, Mitchell, Scott, Matthews & Tuck.....All automatic selections.

Ayres, Mew, Brereton & Dipierdomenico have played in 5 Premierships each....a feat which only 21 players in the games history have achieved.....All automatic selections.

Dunstall & Hudson's records as full-forwards speak for themselves....While Buckenara & Platten remain 2 of the most sublimely gifted & talented players to have donned our jumper, both winning 4 premierships along the journey.....Buddy pretty well picks himself for the unique talent & ultimate X-factor that he is, While 2 Time B&F winner in Peter Knights remains the most gifted aerialist I've ever seen grace a football field; Having played 17 seasons & come 2nd twice in the Brownlow medal - in spite of injuries in those years.

I couldn't find a spot for Cyril, but he'd most definitely be the 21st man.

What's your clubs best 20 ever-er?
I'd entertain the notion of replacing Buckenara and Dipper with Jarman and Pritchard respectively...by 1995, Jarman was our most important player alongside Dunstall, something Buckenara never quite gathered as a title, and Pritchard consistently delivered at high level right through his career, unlike Dipper who had bad years as well as good...take away the Brownlow and suddenly the cover of his profile doesn't look that good...

I also see no reason why this shouldn't be a best 22...!

I was born in 84 and can only remember footy from 90 onwards so this is my best 20 from who I’ve actually seen play.

B. Archer, Martyn, R.Smith
HB. King, Tarrant, Blakey
C. Higgins, Cunnington, Schwass
HF. Pickett, Carey, Grant
F. Bell, Longmire, Waite
R. McKernan, Stevens, Harvey
I. Goldstein, Simpson

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: Andrew McKay, Stephen Silvagni, Geoff Southby
HB: John James, Bruce Doull, Ken Hunter
C: Craig Bradley, Greg Williams, Anthony Koutoufides
HF: Wayne Johnston, Stephen Kernahan, Alex Jeasulenko
F: Rod Ashman, Harry Vallence, Eddie Betts

Foll: John Nicholls, Chris Judd, Sergio Silvagni

Int: Adrian Gallagher, David McKay

Something like this...a few deviations from the TOTC with a bit more of a modern bent. Obviously a number there I didn't see play, but I think the likes of Nicholls and Vallence are pretty safe inclusions.

Last edited:
he literally posted Jack Graham 20 times, I would say this is far more original no?

To be honest, I didn't even read the first page of this thread. Just thought I'd chime in with an all-time great squad. Keep up boomer. I'm guessing 35 is your year of birth?
I like how you listed Bootsma twice. Good chuckle.

FMDrunk:rolleyes::drunk:

Seen as you've missed the gist entirely. I'll take a crack at the Richmond best ever team myself.

Coach: Tom Hafey

Backline: Kevin Sheedy, Roy Wright, Wayne Campbell
Half Back: Francis Bourke, Alex Rance, Merv Keane
Centreline: Dick Clay, Ian Stewart, Trent Cotchin
Half Forward: Maurice Rioli, Matthew Richardson, Royce Hart
Forward line: Jack Titus, Michael Roach, Dale Weighman
Rucks/Rover: Percy Bentley, Dustin Martin, Kevin Bartlett

Interchange: Jack Dyer, Tom O'Halloran
That is Disgusting absolutely made me ill

Dempsey & Wynd would be the rucks.

Doug Hawkins on one wing, clearly....Tony Liberatore would be well ahead of his son for inclusion, I'd of thought.

Hard to leave out Bob Murphy too.

Of the 1954 Premiership lot, obviously Ted Whitten Senior & Charlie Sutton are the stand-outs.

Tough choice between Templeton, Quinlan & Beasley for the key forward posts, but I'd go with Quinlan & Templeton.....Barry Hall simply not in the same category or class....Jack Collins probably also deserves a spot. Norm Ware also considered something of a legend of the club.

Bob Murphy Brian Lake Scott Wynd
Rohan Smith Ted Whitten Dale Morris
Doug Hawkins Scott West Matthew Boyd
Chris Grant Bernie Quinlan Charlie Sutton
Brad Johnson Kelvin Templeton Norm Ware

Gary Dempsey Marcus Bontempelli Tony Libertore

John Schulz Jack Collins Arthur Oliver

Much like Richmond, Footscray has a plethora of champion ruckmen from which to choose.
Herb Henderson and wally Donald
Seriously how can you leave these 2 players out

Yes.....Buckenara was a star & up another level to Breust altogether.....He was equally at home out of the centre also.
Buckenara was a genuine star. I remember seeing him in a WAFL game between Swan Districts and Subiaco when SD kicked 40-11 to 20-7. Bucky was 21, in his first season of WAFL and playing in the centre, had 27 kicks, 7 handballs, 17 marks and kicked 9 goals 1 behind in a losing team. I knew then that he was an extraordinary talent. Also a big time player who performed when it mattered as his finals and SOO performances

I guess the pertinent question remains: Is 84 games ample enough to be included in a club's Best 20 ever?

Peter Hudson played the fewest @129 in my best of 20 at Hawthorn....But he kicked 727 goals at the highest average in VFL/aFL history, including 5 tonnes from 6 full seasons....The next fewest was Buckenara on 154 games in 9 seasons, kicking almost 300 goals, & playing in 4 Premierships.

Buddy & Brereton are the only other 2 players in my Best 20, not to have reached the 200 game milestone with us.
Your criteria is best, not longest serving. The record he established in those 84 games (4 seasons) is ample to determine whether he is good enough and is probably better than some of the others managed in many more. If he's one of the best, then he should be picked.

McKenna Glass Sheppard
Hurn Jakovich McGovern
Matera Judd Gaff
Heady Darling Lewis
Matera Kennedy Lecras
Cox Cousins Kerr
Int - Wirra Shuey NN Yeo
Bloody good team but Dean Kemp has to be in. Should have won a Norm Smith and seriously underrated.

Judd
Matera
Cousins
Kemp
Cox
Kennedy
McGovern
Jakovich
McKenna
Kerr
Glass
McIntosh
Yeo
Shuey
Sumich
Worsfold
Hurn
Mainwaring
Naitanui
Lewis

Gaff, LeCras, Darling, Turley, Wirrpanda, Embley, Hart, Ph Matera, Sheppard, Pyke, White,
Then the likes of Cummings, Gardiner, Braun, Sheed, Ryan

Roger Hayden Stephen O Reilly Luke Ryan
Dale Kickett Luke McPharlin Michael Johnson
Stephen Hill Nat Fyfe Paul Haselby
Michael Walters Tony Modra Paul Medhurst
Hayden Ballentine Matthew Pavlich Jeff Farmer.

Ruck Aaron Sandilands, David Mundy, Peter Bell.

Interchange. Justin Longmuir, Michael Barlow, Shane Parker, Josh Carr.

Herb Henderson and wally Donald
Seriously how can you leave these 2 players out
I'd probably have only Morris in our backline as a certain starter among Donald, Henderson and EJ, could raffle the 2 back flanks up for grabs between Bob, Smithy and Gilbs, but Smithy and Bob were extremely versatile further upfield, Gilbs primarily only played HB though.

Lake was an absolute gun at his peak too, likewise Rick Kennedy. Chris Grant gets a gig forward but was a great CHB too.

I'd probably have only Morris in our backline as a certain starter among Donald, Henderson and EJ, could raffle the 2 back flanks up for grabs between Bob, Smithy and Gilbs, but Smithy and Bob were extremely versatile further upfield, Gilbs primarily only played HB though.

Lake was an absolute gun at his peak too, likewise Rick Kennedy. Chris Grant gets a gig forward but was a great CHB too.
Rick Kennedy absolute gentleman off the field ,,dad in law to triple premiership captain Trent Cotchin,,think plugger was Qouted as saying that Rick Kennedy was the only full back that actually scared him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back