Strategy Your club's best 22 in 2022 – Where are the gaps? Draft needs?

Remove this Banner Ad

Where are the gaps in your club's best 22 that you'd like to improve on?

What are you hoping for in the draft?
Aside from JHF, small crumbing pressure fwd and a tall KPD. And would like to see a rookie pick perhaps on a speculative tall fwd, just to park on the list for a couple years to see how they develop.

I think Kozzy has shown that a quality small can come in and have an immediate impact if they have a bit of speed and can lay some tackles.

Bit lean down back if Corr or McKay go down, but another year under the belt of the midfield and hopefully a bit less footy coming in so they can organise better. As funny as it sounds, pretty bullish about this group despite the ladder position. Think we can catch a few off guard this year.

Ryan - Cox - Logue
Walker - Pearce - Young
Aish - Fyfe - Clark
Walters - Taberner - Sturt
Switkowski - Lobb - Schultz

Darcy - Brayshaw - Serong

Int. Mundy - Chapman - Brodie - Henry

Emerg. Blakely - Colyer - Fredericks - Hamling

A bit of decent young talent but thin on experience. As usual, the glaring hole is the forward line which I hope the club addresses in this draft.

Midfield and defence quite OK

Desperately need a number one ruck. Would like a ready to roll CHB, Ryan Gardner's a battler and Tim O'Brien more an intercepting third tall. Pretty solid otherwise, a small crumbing pressure forward would be good.

Duryea - Keath - Williams
Dale - Gardner - O'Brien
Treloar - Bont - Hunter
BSmith - Naughton - Vandermeer
Weightman - English - JUH/Schache
Martin/Sweet - Macrae - Dunkley

Daniel - Libba - RSmith - Richards

B: Bews, Blicavs, Henry
HB: Stewart, De Koning, O’Connor
C: Smith, Duncan, Holmes
HF: Menegola, Cameron, Close
F: Stengle, Hawkins, Dangerfield

Foll: Stanley, Parfitt, C.Guthrie

Int: Selwood, Evans, C.Stephens, Tuohy

An injection of young midfielders desperately needed to replace Selwood, Danger etc. Expect C.Stephens and De Koning to be playing round one. Also need another KPD. A young ruck and a quality small defender other needs as well.

Ryan - Cox - Logue
Walker - Pearce - Young
Aish - Fyfe - Clark
Walters - Taberner - Sturt
Switkowski - Lobb - Schultz

Darcy - Brayshaw - Serong

Int. Mundy - Chapman - Brodie - Henry

Emerg. Blakely - Colyer - Fredericks - Hamling

A bit of decent young talent but thin on experience. As usual, the glaring hole is the forward line which I hope the club addresses in this draft.

Midfield and defence quite OK
We need an elite hard running mid with good pace and skills.
At least one tallish half forward goal kicker, one quick leading tall forward and a small who can rove packs playing forward.
So Ward, Erasmus, JVR and Motlop lasting to after the top 40 picks. Erasmus could definitely start as the tallish half forward. Not to much to ask for.

FB: Jones Butts Doedee
HB: Smith Murray Laird
R: O’Brien Keays Schoenberg
C: Seedsman Crouch Dawson
HF: Sloane Fogarty McHenry
FF: Murphy Thilthorpe Walker

Int: Pedlar Berry Milera Cook

I think we’ve gone on the record saying we’ll go best available but ideally need to add speed & power at midfield/half forward through the draft.

Last edited:
Desperately need a number one ruck. Would like a ready to roll CHB, Ryan Gardner's a battler and Tim O'Brien more an intercepting third tall. Pretty solid otherwise, a small crumbing pressure forward would be good.

Duryea - Keath - Williams
Dale - Gardner - O'Brien
Treloar - Bont - Hunter
BSmith - Naughton - Vandermeer
Weightman - English - JUH/Schache
Martin/Sweet - Macrae - Dunkley

Daniel - Libba - RSmith - Richards
Would you have done Dunkley for Grundy?

Realistically both clubs would say no, but let’s be real this would’ve helped both teams (we would’ve also kept Lynch)

Yeah. I like Dunkley, but he's replaceable.
Same, I really rate Dunkley too.

The biggest problem with Grundy is that his hitouts are predictable. And our mids are too small to stand their ground and actually take advantage of the taps. Which definitely isn’t the case with your midfield

But just imagine how transformational Grundy can be to your entire team.

FB. Starcevich, Andrews, Gardiner
HB. Rich, Adams, Coleman
C. McCluggage, Neale, Ah Chee
HF. Zorko, Hipwood, Rayner
FF. Cameron, Daniher, McStay
R. McInerney, Lyons, Bailey
Int. Prior, McCarthy, Berry, Robinson
Sub. Cockatoo

Depending on draftees there could be a couple of changes, Cockatoo could be swapped with Robinson.
Having a fully fit Neale, Andrews, Hipwood, Rayner, Adams, Gardiner and Berry will make a huge difference to the side we had for most of this year, a lot of these guys played but were pretty limited compared to what we know they can do specifically Neale, Andrews and Berry.
With this team there are a couple spots up for grabs throughout the season, and I would be expecting Robertson, Sharp, Payne, T. Berry, Answerth Madden to all be pushing for a spot during the season. Matho, CEY, Fort and Lester are solid senior depth that could come in for injuries.
Pending fitness this has potential to be a really big year for us as it's probably the most well-rounded and deepest squad we've had for a while. With any luck adding one of Sinn or Goater in this years draft could be a real boost to our talent and could find a spot in our team.
Overall pretty happy with where we sit and pretty excited to see how the season pans out for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Short term we need a really capable ruck against top 4 sides and hopefully ceglar can do that
With henderson and kreuger gone and de koning unproven we are light on for kpds, i rate dek but i expect us to rookie a mature kpd for insurance.
Our small forwards are good at defensive pressure but we lack a genuine goalkicking crumber so hopefully stengle can be that.

Long term we need mids to replace danger selwood duncan etc as they age so hopefully our 4 second rounders this year can draft some and generally guys with speed and footskills we could use more dynamism and run and carry.

Needs:

- Key athletic defender (strong chance we take Schlensog as a DFA)

- Mids, mids and more mids - preferably with speed and skill (likely to look at Taylor, Knevitt, Roberts and a mature agers in G. Clark - whoever falls to our picks)

- Running half back (Brown would be great at our pick, but no guarantees)

- Goalkicking small forward (Stengle is perfect for this, and addresses an immediate need with no draft capital expended)

- Long term ruck (possibly look at a local boy in Conway, but already have Neale and Tsapatolis as developing options - so might be enough)

Best 22 next year:

B: Henry, S. De Koning, Bews
HB: Stewart, Blicavs, Tuohy
C: Holmes, Menegola, I. Smith
FO: Stanley, Guthrie, Parfitt
HF: Duncan, J. Cameron, Dangerfield
F: Stengle, Hawkins, Close
INT: Selwood, C. Stephens, Ceglar, O'Connor

Sub: Atkins

EMG: Ratugolea, Miers, Kolodjashnij, Simpson

Or something similar. Higgins, Dahlhaus, Rohan, Kolo, Ratugolea and Miers all out of the Best 22, with some new faces (and hopefully some of the draftees from this year) pushing them and others for spots.

FB Maynard Roughead Crisp
CHB Howe Moore Quaynor
C Lipinski Adams J Daicos
CHF Sidey Mihocek Henry
FF Ginnivan Cameron McCreery
Ruck Grundy Pendlebury DeGoey
Bench Daicos Ruscoe Noble Bianco

Aside from JHF, small crumbing pressure fwd and a tall KPD. And would like to see a rookie pick perhaps on a speculative tall fwd, just to park on the list for a couple years to see how they develop.

I think Kozzy has shown that a quality small can come in and have an immediate impact if they have a bit of speed and can lay some tackles.

Bit lean down back if Corr or McKay go down, but another year under the belt of the midfield and hopefully a bit less footy coming in so they can organise better. As funny as it sounds, pretty bullish about this group despite the ladder position. Think we can catch a few off guard this year.
Totally agree. I’m sure JHF will spend most of his time forward, but KPD is a real worry, what chances Gibcus making it down to 20 🤪. The way Goldstein xerrie and CCJ work as a ruck team will be interesting, wouldn’t be surprised to see CCJ play as 2nd tall up forward for long periods this year. Our second pick will possibly be good ball user who can play back to cover the the looming loss of both Hall and Ziebul

Hardwick, Hartigan/DGB, Jiath
Impey, Sicily, Scrimshaw
Day, Omeara, Bramble
Gunston, Kosi, Moore
Bruest, Lewis, Brockman
Reeves, Mitchell, Wingard

Howe, Lynch, Phillips, Nash

Hartigan/DGB changes depending on the size of the opposition forwards and how well DGB goes in the gym.

Really need midfield class (x 2-3), I don't think we have a single midfielder that an opposition would worry about tagging. Then a key back and then small forward.

On SM-G570F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Needs:

- Key athletic defender (strong chance we take Schlensog as a DFA)

- Mids, mids and more mids - preferably with speed and skill (likely to look at Taylor, Knevitt, Roberts and a mature agers in G. Clark - whoever falls to our picks)

- Running half back (Brown would be great at our pick, but no guarantees)

- Goalkicking small forward (Stengle is perfect for this, and addresses an immediate need with no draft capital expended)

- Long term ruck (possibly look at a local boy in Conway, but already have Neale and Tsapatolis as developing options - so might be enough)

Best 22 next year:

B: Henry, S. De Koning, Bews
HB: Stewart, Blicavs, Tuohy
C: Holmes, Menegola, I. Smith
FO: Stanley, Guthrie, Parfitt
HF: Duncan, J. Cameron, Dangerfield
F: Stengle, Hawkins, Close
INT: Selwood, C. Stephens, Ceglar, O'Connor

Sub: Atkins

EMG: Ratugolea, Miers, Kolodjashnij, Simpson

Or something similar. Higgins, Dahlhaus, Rohan, Kolo, Ratugolea and Miers all out of the Best 22, with some new faces (and hopefully some of the draftees from this year) pushing them and others for spots.

So you're gonna take Blake Schlensog back again.....and play him in the two's....again....hmmmm....think he might like to play in the firsts somewhere else.

B: McPherson, Butts, Doedee
HB: Smith, McAsey, Jones
C: Seedsman, Crouch, Dawson
HF: Sloane, Walker, McHenry
F: McAdam, Thilthorpe, Fogarty
R: O'Brien, Schoenberg, Laird
I: Milera, Keays, Sholl, Cook

Next in
KD - Murray
MD - Worrell, Hinge
SD - Brown, Hamill
KF - Himmelberg
MF - Gollant
SF - Murphy, Rowe
R - Strachan
MiD - Pedlar, Berry

Expect we will pick the best available midfielder with our 1st early pick. We really need a quality small forward, but think there is a fair chance we target Rankine next year.

Our backline is a shambles. We should be a little better in 2022 if Corr is over his gangrene. Better again in 2023 when Darcy Moore signs on.

At the draft we need a key defender or two and a running defender.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back