Strategy Your club's best 22 in 2022 – Where are the gaps? Draft needs?

Remove this Banner Ad

Tigs

Grimes Tarrant Short
Vlastuin Balta Rioli
Mcintosh Martin Lambert
Edwards Lynch Castagna
Bolton Riewoldt Stack
Nank Cotch Prestia

Bench Graham Broad Soldo Baker

depth

Mids RCD Ross Martyn Dow
Kpd Miller Biggy
Mid size backs Mansell
Wing/hfs Pickett Ralphsmith Caddy Parker Cumberland
Rucks Ryan Colina
Kpf zilch
Small forwards Aarts Rioli jnr

Kpf depth is gone with Chol and Ccj leaving so can see us going tall with 1 of the 5 top 30 picks we have. But first picks in the draft will more likely then not be midfielders. Cotch Edwards Dusty over 30 now and in need of ball winners. Hobbs looks the natural fit but doubt he’ll be available. Wouldn’t mind getting Edwards from WA with 1 of the picks in the 20’s as a big KPF. Will be interesting what we do in the draft. Got a few going potential A graders in Balta and Bolton getting a few more will help us stay in the finals mix the next few years. Important we nail the draft

On paper the team looks strong still so think we’ll be better then this year.

Best 22:
B: Ridley - Stewart - Kelly
HB: Hind - Laverde - Redman
C: Langford - McGrath - Cox
HF: Stringer - Jones - Snelling
F: Tippa - Wright - Francis
R: Draper - Parish - Merrett
I/C: Heppell - Caldwell - Shiel - Perkins

Needs:
- inside mid
- small forward
- outside mid
spot on team

what i'd draft in order;
-Best mid capable of breaking lines & hitting the scoreboard
-Tall forward
-Small forward
-Key defender

Vague best 22 not thinking too much

B: Vlastuin Tarrant Grimes
HB: Broad Balta Short
C: Baker Cotchin Lambert
HF: Martin Riewoldt Edwards
F: Castagna Lynch Stack
R: Nankervis Prestia Bolton
INT: Soldo Rioli Graham Collier-Dawkins

EMG: Ross Dow Ralphsmith Miller

Gaps for me are midfielders, particularly big, contested, inside mids. That's probably why we'll be looking for one of the good inside mids at pick 7.
We also need to bring in some developing KPFs, so a KPF is also a must, and could be taken at 7, 15, or certainly with one of the picks in the 20s if not the first round.
We could also use a genuinely dangerous goal kicking small forward.

Haynes Davis Cumming
Whitfield Taylor Perryman
Ash Cogs Kelly
Green Himmelberg Taranto
Daniels Hogan Hill
Preuss Hopper Greene
Ward Idun Bruhn XOH

Would love more run and speed. We’ve got Jack Buckley and Lachie Keeffe injured as tall defenders, and just recruited brander… not sure where we’ll try him.
I like our ruck stocks with Preuss, Flynn and Briggs.
We just need a season without an injury crisis.

Haynes Davis Cumming
Ash Cogs Kelly
Green Himmelberg Taranto
Daniels Hogan Hill
Preuss Hopper Greene
Ward Idun Bruhn XOH

Would love more run and speed. We’ve got Jack Buckley and Lachie Keeffe injured as tall defenders, and just recruited brander… not sure where we’ll try him.
Sounds like we might be taking Rachele. I know he’s a good kick… didn’t seem to stand out at any combine testing. Anyone know how he went?

Our pre-draft 22 would probably be something like:

FB: Jake Kelly - James Stewart - Nick Hind
HB: Jordan Ridley - Jayden Laverde - Dyson Heppell
MF: Kyle Langford - Dylan Shiel - Nik Cox
HF: Jye Caldwell - Harrison Jones - Archie Perkins
FF: Jake Stringer - Peter Wright - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti
OB: Sam Draper - Darcy Parish - Zachary Merrett
IC: Andrew McGrath - Aaron Francis - Mason Redman - Will Snelling
MS: Matthew Guelfi

Draft wise we definitely need to add to our midfield depth as far as development is concerned our starting midfield in the twos would be Smith, Durham and Ham. Another small forward at one of our thirds is likely, maybe a Paul Curtis or Jahmal Stretch.

Haynes Davis Cumming
Ash Cogs Kelly
Green Himmelberg Taranto
Daniels Hogan Hill
Preuss Hopper Greene
Ward Idun Bruhn XOH

Reckon we are missing a second ruck and thatFlynn will in .... like Flynn

B - Stocker Jones Plowman
HB - Saad Weitering Kemp
C- Cerra Cripps, Williams
HF- Martin, Curnow, Fisher
FF- JSOS, McKay, Owies
R- TDK, Walsh, Dow
I - Young, Hewett, Kennedy, McGovern

Strength & Improvement will come from a far more balanced midfield with more depth inside and outside, I expect Dow to kick on from his solid 2021 and start showing more signs of improvement, I expect that Voss will play without a tagger which will squeeze Ed Curnow out of the side.

Holes - Our ruck stocks are unproven, Pittonet is not AFL standard and TDK is young and got pushed around too much by the dominant rucks in 2021, a big pre season and hopefully ad some bulk and strength and he can become a weapon, but too many ifs for my liking in such a crucial position.... Young will need to assist TDK and needs to become a bit of a swingman, replacing the role Levi played.

Without De Goey (until he's allowed back into the club, if ever, I'll leave him out of my projected 22)

1636611706206.png

Without Jordy, it's probably the league's worst midfield, supplying to a sub-par forward group. It screams bottom two.

We'll grab Daicos, after which I hope we target a ball winning midfielder, and a pure winger with plenty of speed.

Darcy Gardiner, Harris Andrews, Brandon Starcevich.
Daniel Rich, Marcus Adams, Keidean Coleman.

Oscar McInerney, Lachie Neale, Jarrod Berry.
Hugh McCluggage, Jarryd Lyons, Zac Bailey.

Cam Rayner, Dan McStay, Lincoln McCarthy.
Darcy Fort, Joe Daniher, Charlie Cameron.

Dayne Zorko, Jaxon Prior, Callum Ah Chee, Nakia Cockatoo. > + Eric Hipwood post ACL late in the season.

O'Brien Keath Williams
Dale Gardner Daniel
Smith Libba Hunter
Vandermeer Naughton Hannan
Weightman English Jamarrah
Martin Bont Macrae
Duryea Dunkley Treloar Roarke

Key defence definitely the weakest part of the list but continued development from Gardner and the addition of O'Brien hopefully buys us enough time to develop through the draft before Keath hangs them up.

B: Bews, Blicavs, Henry
HB: Stewart, DeKoning, O’Connor
C: Holmes, C.Guthrie, Smith
HF: Miers, Cameron, Duncan
F: Stengle, Hawkins, Dangerfield

Foll: Stanley, Parfitt, Selwood

Int: Menegola, C.Stephens, Close, Ceglar

Need to replace an ageing list. Getting games into Holmes, DeKoning, and C.Stephens has to be a priority. Stevens another youngster that showed promise in the VFL that should debut next season.

As for the draft - midfielders, another tall defender and even a small defender. Need more speed. I’m sure we’ll look at Taylor, Butler, and C.McDonald. Long another one. Probably Bazzo or Dean as a KPD. Brown will be considered with his father an ex-Cat and for his quality.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Same as the GF team add in possibly Jamarra, Tim O'Brien and hopefully Wallis can get back to his 2020 form.

Our issue is still the ruck unless English can rapidly improve and Martin can stay injury free.

I feel we need a bigger body like a Daniel Howe or George Hewett type to offer that defensive coverage we lack at times as you suggested. Langford’s best fit is a hybrid wing-half forward role imo and we need a player to complement the offensive skillset of the Stringer, Merrett, Parish trio. We also lack a genuine winger with pace and two-way running ability besides Durham, who has shown promise but still quite raw.

I think a key forward may be on the radar down the line but the club appears to rate Baldwin highly and we’d be more likely to go after a mature age kpf if he doesn’t work out rather than developing a draftee. I’m surprised you think that Jones doesn’t cut it as I’d say he had as solid a season as you could possibly have as a ‘first’ year key forward. I’d expect him to go past Wright as our number 1 within the next 2 years.
Good points, imo the midfield including wing need improvement. Interesed to hear from supporters whether you are still confident Shiel and Caldwell are going to make enough of an impact through the midfield next season? BTW I rate Jones, he's showing enough to persist, reminds me of Fritsch with his marking and lean build. Clarke from WA would be worth a shot as a mature player as well.

FB : Brown - Butts - Doedee
HB : Jones - Murray - Smith
C : Dawson - Laird - Seedsman
HF : Sloane - Walker - McHenry
FF : McAdam - Thilthorpe - Fogarty
Foll : O'Brian - Crouch - Schoenberg
Int : Sholl - Milera - Keays - Hamill

I think Adelaide are looking good in terms of defenders, inside accumulators and flanks/wings when you look at the younger guys coming through.

Our midfield is looking "okay" but is really missing that elite A-Grader to build around, lots of role players, no focal point.

Otherwise we're looking very thin for goal sneak small forwards. None of Rowe, McAdam or Murphy have really made that spot their own and McHenry isn't that type of player.

FB : Brown - Butts - Doedee
HB : Jones - Murray - Smith
C : Dawson - Laird - Seedsman
HF : Sloane - Walker - McHenry
FF : McAdam - Thilthorpe - Fogarty
Foll : O'Brian - Crouch - Schoenberg
Int : Sholl - Milera - Keays - Hamill

I think Adelaide are looking good in terms of defenders, inside accumulators and flanks/wings when you look at the younger guys coming through.

Our midfield is looking "okay" but is really missing that elite A-Grader to build around, lots of role players, no focal point.

Otherwise we're looking very thin for goal sneak small forwards. None of Rowe, McAdam or Murphy have really made that spot their own and McHenry isn't that type of player.

Do you think Adelaide will go for Rachele in the draft?

Without De Goey (until he's allowed back into the club, if ever, I'll leave him out of my projected 22)

View attachment 1278332

Without Jordy, it's probably the league's worst midfield, supplying to a sub-par forward group. It screams bottom two.

We'll grab Daicos, after which I hope we target a ball winning midfielder, and a pure winger with plenty of speed.

From an outside perspective i'd prefer Noble over Ruscoe at half back personally. Is Trey tracking along better than those outside Collingwood may realise?

I really like Ginnivan too. Was hoping Hawthorn would swoop on him late in last years draft.

From an outside perspective i'd prefer Noble over Ruscoe at half back personally. Is Trey tracking along better than those outside Collingwood may realise?

I really like Ginnivan too. Was hoping Hawthorn would swoop on him late in last years draft.
Noble is still young-ish at 24 but I and many others believe he's probably at his ceiling and there isn't much he can do to improve from here. Handy depth player and I like what he brings, but after a forward stint that was comically bad at best, Ruscoe looked a completely different player in defence in the back half dozen games of the year. He's still got a lot to work on defensively, however he demonstrated with his great field kicking that he could be a very solid half-back in the future. Hopefully a few pre-seasons with Maynard, Moore, Howe etc will allow him to reach his full potential as a defender

We all love Ginnivan already. Has very good forward craft, to have plucked him in the rookie draft looks a good recruiting win.

I like neither at half back.

Both have shown certain traits that make them decent rebounding defenders, but both also have clear and unforgiveable deficiencies, which makes them incomplete players in that role.

Ruscoe has time to fix the holes in his skillset, Noble has no more upside remaining.

Ginnivan is the most promising out of the 3 you mentioned.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back