Analysis Your clubs current live pick position

Based on this thread from last year. Also a big shoutout to bergholt for his Draftguru site, it is one of the best resources of Aussie Rules information in the entire interwebs.

Adelaide:
2019 senior list: 38
Outgoings: 7 (Otten retired; Douglas delisted; Betts, Greenwood, Jacobs, Keath, Jenkins traded)
Incomings: 2 (Frampton traded, Murphy upgraded)
Live picks: 7 (6, 22, 23, 37, 45, 83, 86)
Expect to use 5 picks

I suspect they only use the first six and go with a 38 man list again. If they want 40 then expect a Lachlan Murphy upgrade and/or DFA pickups.

UPDATE: Lachlan Murphy upgraded.

Brisbane Lions:
2019 senior list: 40
Outgoings: 9 (Hodge retired; Robertson, Keays, Walker, C. Lyons*, Skinner*, Smith* delisted; Taylor, Cutler traded)
Incomings: 5 (Ellis-Yolmen, Birchall FA; Ah Chee traded; McInerney, Hinge upgraded)
Live picks: 4 (21, 29, 34, 68)
Expect to use 4 picks

Need to delist seven players to use all six picks, though may pass on one or two of the latter ones I guess. It sounds like Nick Robertson might leave as a DFA and it seems like Josh Walker, Ben Keays, Corey Lyons and Sam Skinner might struggle to get new deals. Could we see some buyouts and 2 for 1 pick swaps? Or moving picks to 2020?

UPDATE: Nick Robertson announced his delisting over Instagram.

UPDATE2: Confirmation that Ben Keays and Josh Walker have been delisted.

UPDATE3: Confirmation that McInerney is being upgraded, but they're also upgrading Mitch Hinge. Probably means they won't use the 50's picks.

UPDATE4: Corey Lyons, Sam Skinner and Archie Smith delisted, but will be re-contracted as rookies.

Carlton:
Outgoings: 8 (Fasolo, Thomas retired; Garlett, Kerr, Lobbe, Pickett, Schumacher delisted; Phillips traded)
Incomings: 3 (Betts, Pittonet traded; Newnes DFA) (may upgrade Gibbons, Goddard)
Live picks: 5 (9, 43, 57, 67, 77)
Expect to use 3 picks

Would suspect that they leave a pick spot open for Jack Martin, have also been linked to Jack Newnes. Unlikely to take at least the last two picks and may only take 3 depending on upgrades/DFA's.

UPDATE: Jack Newnes has signed as a DFA.

Collingwood:
Outgoings: 5 (Wells, Goldsack retired; Dunn*, Crocker delisted; Aish traded)
Incomings: 2 (Cameron traded; Lynch upgraded) (may also upgrade Mihocek)
Live picks: 4 (35, 48, 62, 70)
Expect to use 3-4 picks

Can just get away with using all 3 of their current picks, but due to cap pressures I suspect they only run with 38 again. In that case it seems like Ben Crocker and Lynden Dunn are the ones most likely under the gun.

UPDATE: Confirmation Dunn and Crocker have been delisted (but Dunn may get a reprieve as a rookie) and Lynch has been upgraded

Essendon:
2019 senior list: 39
Outgoings: 6 (Baguley, Myers retired; Houlahan, Long, Brown delisted; Hartley uncontracted)
Incomings: 3 (Culter, Phillips traded; Draper upgraded)
Live picks: 4 (31, 33, 61, 64)
Expect to use 3-4 picks

Can get away with their current position but may consider a couple more delistings (Jake Long, Michael Hartley, Mitch Brown) in order to get full advantage of their draft hand or to sign a DFA, especially given they have quite a few rookies with futures up in the air.

UPDATE: Thanks to Lore for the McKernan info. Odd that Draftguru had the wrong info in that case.

UPDATE2: Jake Long (along with some rookies) delisted

UPDATE3: Mitch Brown gone.

UPDATE4: Michael Hartley has quit the club to take up another opportunity elsewhere

Fremantle:
Outgoings: 9 (Sandilands retired; Ballantyne, Bennell, Jones, Kersten, North*, Dixon* delisted; Hill, Langdon traded)
Incomings: 3 (Acres, Aish traded; Giro upgraded) (may also upgrade Hughes)
Live picks: 6 (7, 8, 49, 58, 66, 73)
Expect to use 4-5 picks

Current position looks fine, but may still get rid of another player in order to sign a DFA or upgrade a rookie. Likely need two picks to match a Henry bid in any case.

UPDATE: Thanks to Joao for the information regarding Giro and Hughes. That probably means further delistings are to come.

UPDATE2: Tom North and Hugh Dixon delisted and re-rookied.

Geelong:
Outgoings: 8 (Buzza, Cunico, S. Selwood, Henderson, Abbott, Brownless* delisted; Kelly, Smith traded)
Incomings: 4 (Steven, Jenkins traded; Simpson, Z. Guthrie upgraded)
Live picks: 4 (14, 17, 24, 36)
Expect to use 4 picks

Still need to delist one more player to use pick 36 - I suspect it'll be Lachie Henderson.

UPDATE: Thanks to year of the cat for the info about Simpson and Zac Guthrie. So that means two guys have to be released that are currently contracted, or alternatively they don't upgrade Simpson and Guthrie and instead delist and re-rookie them.

UPDATE2: Turns out Brownless and Abbott acquised as well as Henderson.

Gold Coast:
Outgoings: 7 (Nicholls retired; Nutting, Young, Crossley, Schoenfeld* delisted; Martin uncontracted; Ah Chee traded)
Incomings: 3 (Ellis FA; Smith, Greenwood traded)
Live picks: 5 (1, 2, 15, 20, 72)
Expect to use 4 picks

Have to delist three more guys - Martin will probably not accept a new contract, Crossley has his fingers stuck in a potential lengthy cocaine ban and Aaron Young probably struggles for a new deal too which makes three. If they want to keep a list spot open to try and trick Martin then they have to buy out a contract - having 10 rookie spots rather than 4 makes that easier.

UDPATE: Aaron Young and Brayden Crossley delisted, whereas Josh Schoenfeld moves to the rookie list.

Greater Western Sydney:
Outgoings: 6 (Deledio, Simpson retired; Sheridan* delisted; Tomlinson FA; Patton, Bonar traded)
Incomings: 1 (Jacobs traded)
Live picks: 6 (4, 40, 59, 60, 74, 80)
Expect to use 4 picks

Probably only use 38 picks, I suspect. I also suspect they're plotting something regarding any Tom Green bid, so may only see two picks and a rookie upgrade. Would be a decent shot of targetting a DFA.

UPDATE: Tom Sheridan delisted, but will be redrafted.

Hawthorn:
Outgoings: 8 (Roughead, Schoenmakers retired; Brand, Miles, Michington, Mirra delisted; Birchall FA; Pittonet traded)
Incomings: 4 (Patton, Frost traded; Nash, Hanrahan upgraded)
Live picks: 6 (11, 42, 50, 54, 63, 69)
Expect to use 3-4 picks

Hawthorn are likely to burn a couple of those live picks on a Maginness bid too. Might only run with 38/39 again and could see them targetting a DFA.

Melbourne:
Outgoings: 6 (Lewis, Maynard retired; Garlett, Kennedy-Harris, Stretch delisted; Frost traded)
Incomings: 2 (Tomlinson FA; Langdon traded) (may upgrade Lockhart, Dunkley, Wagner)
Live picks: 5 (3, 10, 28, 81, 85)
Expect to use 3 picks

Just two useable picks so far and with apparently more delistings to come Melbourne will presumably have less than 40 on their senior list again. Another club that might be thinking DFA and may consider a play for Jack Martin in the PSD.

UPDATE: Billy Stretch and Jay Kennedy-Harris now delisted. Probably confirms they'll only run with 38 as they have three very late picks and this draft isn't deep.

North Melbourne:
Outgoings: 4 (Wright, Thompson retired; Watson, Hrovat delisted)
Incomings: 2 (Bonar traded; Zurhaar upgraded)
Live picks: 4 (26, 27, 30, 47)
Expect to use 3-4 picks

Four list spots, four usable live picks. Not much to see here.

Port Adelaide:
Outgoings: 9 (Broadbent, Johnson, Trengove, S. Gray, Grundy*, Woodcock* delisted; Frampton, Howard, Ryder traded)
Incomings: 3 (Buzza DFA; Lienert, Ladhams upgraded)
Live picks: 6 (12, 16, 18, 52, 55, 65)
Expect to use 4 picks

Probably don't need to use all those late 60's picks, I suspect. May still delist someone I suppose, but I have no idea who.

UPDATE: Sam Gray set to walk.

UPDATE2: Wylie Buzza set to sign as a DFA.

UPDATE3: Riley Grundy and Boyd Woodcock have been moved to the rookie list.

Richmond:
Outgoings: 5 (Grigg retired; Menadue, Moore delisted; Ellis FA; Butler traded)
Incomings: 0 (may upgrade Chol, Stack, Baker, Pickett)
Live picks: 5 (19, 38, 39, 41, 56)
Expect to use 5 picks

Probably need to delist someone in order to make full use of their draft hand given they currently have 5 Cat A rookies with a contract for 2020 (and cap concerns), Callum Moore and Connor Menadue look the most likely there.

UPDATE: And just like that, Moore and Menadue have been delisted. Doubt they'll both with the last two picks and in all honesty may even pass on #56.

St Kilda:
Outgoings: 10 (Armitage, Longer, Rice, White, Young, Newnes, McCartin* delisted; Acres, Bruce, Steven traded)
Incomings: 7 (Howard, Ryder, Hill, Jones, Butler traded; Abbott DFA; Joyce upgraded) (may also upgrade Wilkie)
Live picks: 3 (51, 76, 82)
Expect to use 2 picks

Need to delist three more players, it sounds like they'll come from Nathan Brown, Jack Newnes, Bailey Rice and Brandon White. Only one really usuable pick so expect the third list spot to come from a rookie upgrade.

UPDATE: Confirmation from the Saints that they have let go 3 players. Will we see any more?

UPDATE2: Implied that McCartin will be delisted/medically retired. Might be kept on as a rookie, though.

UPDATE3: Darragh Joyce upgraded.

UPDATE4: Ryan Abbott recruited as a DFA.

Sydney:
Outgoings: 9 (McVeigh, Jack, Grundy, Smith retired; Rose, Menzel, Maibaum* delisted; Cameron, Jones traded)
Incomings: 4 (Taylor traded; Gray, Brand DFA; Ronke upgraded) (may also upgrade McLean)
Live picks: 6 (5, 25, 32, 44, 71, 75)
Expect to use 4 picks

Will probably only use 4 of those picks and run with 38 players again and pick up Bennell as a DFA. Could still upgrade another rookie and delist Menzel.

UPDATE: Add Daniel Menzel and Jack Maibaum to the delistings, with the possibility that Maibaum gets re-rookied.

UPDATE2: Sam Gray and Kaiden Brand will sign as DFA's.

West Coast:
Outgoings: 5 (Masten, Mutimer, M. Allen, Brayshaw*, Ah Chee* delisted)
Incomings: 2 (Kelly traded, Watson upgraded)
Live picks: 4 (46, 79, 84, 87)
Expect to use 2 picks

Need to delist two more players, sounds like it'll come from two of Hamish Brayshaw, Kurt Mutimer and Matthew Allen.

UPDATE: And there you go, Mutimer and Allen delisted.

UPDATE2: Brayshaw and Ah Chee delisted too (but will be re-rookied)

Western Bulldogs:
Outgoings: 5 (Boyd, Morris, Picken retired; Webb, Roberts delisted)
Incomings: 2 (Keath, Bruce traded) (may upgrade Lachie Young)
Live picks: 3 (13, 53, 78)
Expect to use 3 picks

Need to delist two more players, it sounds like they'll be Fletcher Roberts and Lukas Webb.

UPDATE: I will now accept my accolades.

Anything I'm missing? Some of those rookie upgrades aren't official yet but I'm assuming they happen as they are contracted beyond this year and have just finished their third year of a rookie deal.

Last edited:
Based on this thread from last year. Also a big shoutout to bergholt for his Draftguru site, it is one of the best resources of Aussie Rules information in the entire interwebs.

Adelaide:
Outgoings: 7 (Otten retired; Douglas delisted; Betts, Greenwood, Jacobs, Keath, Jenkins traded)
Incomings: 1 (Frampton traded) (may upgrade Murphy)
Live picks: 8 (4, 23, 28, 37, 45, 49, 103, 121)

I suspect they only use the first six and go with a 38 man list again. If they want 40 then expect a Lachlan Murphy upgrade and/or DFA pickups.

Brisbane Lions:
Outgoings: 3 (Hodge retired; Taylor, Cutler traded)
Incomings: 4 (Ellis-Yolmen, Birchall FA; Ah Chee traded; McInerney upgraded)
Live picks: -1 (16, 21, 34, 48, 52, 55)

Need to delist seven players to use all six picks, though may pass on one or two of the latter ones I guess. It sounds like Nick Robertson might leave as a DFA and it seems like Josh Walker, Ben Keays, Corey Lyons and Sam Skinner might struggle to get new deals. Could we see some buyouts and 2 for 1 pick swaps? Or moving picks to 2020?

Carlton:
Outgoings: 8 (Fasolo, Thomas retired; Garlett, Kerr, Lobbe, Pickett, Schumacher delisted; Phillips traded)
Incomings: 2 (Betts, Pittonet traded) (may upgrade Gibbons, Goddard)
Live picks: 6 (9, 43, 57, 70, 85, 98)

Would suspect that they leave a pick spot open for Jack Martin, have also been linked to Jack Newnes. Unlikely to take at least the last two picks and may only take 3 depending on upgrades/DFA's.

Collingwood:
Outgoings: 3 (Wells, Goldsack retired; Aish traded)
Live picks: 3 (35, 62, 74)

Can just get away with using all 3 of their current picks, but due to cap pressures I suspect they only run with 38 again. In that case it seems like Ben Crocker and Lynden Dunn are the ones most likely under the gun.

Essendon:
Outgoings: 3 (Baguley, Myers retired; Houlahan delisted)
Incomings: 3 (Culter, Phillips traded; Draper upgraded) (may also upgrade McKernan)
Live picks: 2 (31, 33, 61, 64, 65)

Can get away with their current position but may consider a couple more delistings (Jake Long, Michael Hartley, Mitch Brown) in order to get full advantage of their draft hand or to sign a DFA, especially given they have quite a few rookies with futures up in the air.

Fremantle:
Outgoings: 7 (Sandilands retired; Ballantyne, Bennell, Jones, Kersten delisted; Hill, Langdon traded)
Incomings: 2 (Acres, Aish traded) (may upgrade Hughes)
Live picks: 5 (7, 10, 22, 58, 69)

Current position looks fine, but may still get rid of another player in order to sign a DFA or upgrade a rookie. Likely need two picks to match a Henry bid in any case.

Geelong:
Outgoings: 5 (Buzza, Cunico, S. Selwood delisted; Kelly, Smith traded)
Incomings: 2 (Steven, Jenkins traded)
Live picks: 3 (14, 17, 24, 36)

Still need to delist one more player to use pick 36 - I suspect it'll be Lachie Henderson.

Gold Coast:
Outgoings: 3 (Nicholls retired; Nutting delisted; Ah Chee traded)
Live picks: 1 (1, 2, 15, 20)

Have to delist three more guys - Martin will probably not accept a new contract, Crossley has his fingers stuck in a potential lengthy cocaine ban and Aaron Young probably struggles for a new deal too which makes three. If they want to keep a list spot open to try and trick Martin then they have to buy out a contract - having 10 rookie spots rather than 4 makes that easier.

Greater Western Sydney:
Outgoings: 5 (Deledio, Simpson retired; Tomlinson FA; Patton, Bonar traded)
Incomings: 1 (Jacobs traded) (may upgrade Reid)
Live picks: 5 (6, 40, 59, 60, 80)

Probably only use 38 picks, I suspect. I also suspect they're plotting something regarding any Tom Green bid, so may only see two picks and a rookie upgrade. Would be a decent shot of targetting a DFA.

Hawthorn:
Outgoings: 8 (Roughead, Schoenmakers retired; Brand, Miles, Michington, Mirra delisted; Birchall FA; Pittonet traded)
Live picks: 6 (11, 30, 42, 54, 63, 87)

Hawthorn are likely to burn a couple of those live picks on a Maginness bid too. Might only run with 38/39 again and could see them targetting a DFA.

Melbourne:
Outgoings: 4 (Lewis, Maynard retired; Garlett delisted; Frost traded)
Incomings: 2 (Tomlinson FA; Langdon traded) (may upgrade Lockhart, Dunkley, Wagner)
Live picks: 3 (3, 8, 97)

Just two useable picks so far and with apparently more delistings to come Melbourne will presumably have less than 40 on their senior list again. Another club that might be thinking DFA and may consider a play for Jack Martin in the PSD.

North Melbourne:
Live picks: 4 (26, 27, 47, 50)

Port Adelaide:
Outgoings: 6 (Broadbent, Johnson, Trengove delisted; Frampton, Howard, Ryder traded)
Incomings: 2 (Lienert, Ladhams upgraded)
Live picks: 4 (12, 18, 29, 66, 67, 68, 71)

Probably don't need to use all those late 60's picks, I suspect. May still delist someone I suppose, but I have no idea who.

Richmond:
Outgoings: 3 (Grigg retired; Ellis FA; Butler traded)

Probably need to delist someone in order to make full use of their draft hand given they currently have 5 Cat A rookies with a contract for 2020 (and cap concerns), Callum Moore and Connor Menadue look the most likely there.

St Kilda:
Outgoings: 5 (Armitage, Longer delisted; Acres, Bruce, Steven traded)
Incomings: 5 (Howard, Ryder, Hill, Jones, Butler traded) (may upgrade Joyce, Wilkie)
Live picks: 0 (51, 82, 100)

Need to delist three more players, it sounds like they'll come from Nathan Brown, Jack Newnes, Bailey Rice and Brandon White. Only one really usuable pick so expect the third list spot to come from a rookie upgrade.

Sydney:
Outgoings: 7 (McVeigh, Jack, Grundy, Smith retired; Rose delisted; Cameron, Jones traded)
Incomings: 2 (Taylor traded, Ronke upgraded) (may also upgrade Pink, McLean)
Live picks: 7 (5, 25, 32, 44, 76, 81, 99)

Will probably only use 4 of those picks and run with 38 players again and pick up Bennell as a DFA. Could still upgrade another rookie and delist Menzel.

West Coast:
Outgoings: 1 (Masten delisted)
Live picks: 0 (46, 91, 108)

Need to delist two more players, sounds like it'll come from two of Hamish Brayshaw, Kurt Mutimer and Matthew Allen.

Western Bulldogs:
Outgoings: 3 (Boyd, Morris, Picken retired)
Live picks: 1 (13, 53, 89)

Need to delist two more players, it sounds like they'll be Fletcher Roberts and Lukas Webb.

Anything I'm missing? Some of those rookie upgrades aren't official yet but I'm assuming they happen as they are contracted beyond this year and have just finished their third year of a rookie deal.
Oh good. I haven’t bothered to try and keep track of this this year, always a couple of delistings they forget to tell us about.

tenderwarrior

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2003
Launceston
AFL Club
Geelong
Re Geelong, I think Henderson is certainly on shaky ground, however I expect to see Geelong bundle up a few of those picks to advance up the draft order a bit - maybe that will save Henderson? I am not sure.

Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

Adelaide:
Incomings: 1 (Frampton traded) (may upgrade Murphy)
Live picks: 8 (4, 23, 28, 37, 45, 49, 103, 121)

Brisbane Lions:
Outgoings: 3 (Hodge retired; Taylor, Cutler traded)
Incomings: 4 (Ellis-Yolmen, Birchall FA; Ah Chee traded; McInerney upgraded)
Live picks: -1 (16, 21, 34, 48, 52, 55)

Carlton:
Incomings: 2 (Betts, Pittonet traded) (may upgrade Gibbons, Goddard)
Live picks: 6 (9, 43, 57, 70, 85, 98)

Collingwood:
Outgoings: 3 (Wells, Goldsack retired; Aish traded)
Live picks: 3 (35, 62, 74)

Essendon:
Incomings: 3 (Culter, Phillips traded; Draper upgraded) (may also upgrade McKernan)

Fremantle:
Outgoings: 7 (Sandilands retired; Ballantyne, Bennell, Jones, Kersten delisted; Hill, Langdon traded)
Incomings: 2 (Acres, Aish traded) (may upgrade Hughes)
Live picks: 5 (7, 10, 22, 58, 69)

Geelong:
Outgoings: 5 (Buzza, Cunico, S. Selwood delisted; Kelly, Smith traded)
Incomings: 2 (Steven, Jenkins traded)
Live picks: 3 (14, 17, 24, 36)

Gold Coast:
Outgoings: 3 (Nicholls retired; Nutting delisted; Ah Chee traded)
Live picks: 1 (1, 2, 15, 20)

Greater Western Sydney:

Hawthorn:
Live picks: 6 (11, 30, 42, 54, 63, 87)

Melbourne:
Outgoings: 4 (Lewis, Maynard retired; Garlett delisted; Frost traded)
Live picks: 3 (3, 8, 97)

North Melbourne:
Live picks: 4 (26, 27, 47, 50)

Port Adelaide:
Outgoings: 6 (Broadbent, Johnson, Trengove delisted; Frampton, Howard, Ryder traded)
Incomings: 2 (Lienert, Ladhams upgraded)
Live picks: 4 (12, 18, 29, 66, 67, 68, 71)

Richmond:
Outgoings: 3 (Grigg retired; Ellis FA; Butler traded)

St Kilda:
Outgoings: 5 (Armitage, Longer delisted; Acres, Bruce, Steven traded)
Incomings: 5 (Howard, Ryder, Hill, Jones, Butler traded) (may upgrade Joyce, Wilkie)
Live picks: 0 (51, 82, 100)

Sydney:
Outgoings: 7 (McVeigh, Jack, Grundy, Smith retired; Rose delisted; Cameron, Jones traded)
Incomings: 2 (Taylor traded, Ronke upgraded) (may also upgrade Pink, McLean)
Live picks: 7 (5, 25, 32, 44, 76, 81, 99)

West Coast:
Outgoings: 1 (Masten delisted)
Live picks: 0 (46, 91, 108)

Western Bulldogs:
Outgoings: 3 (Boyd, Morris, Picken retired)
Live picks: 1 (13, 53, 89)

Cats have Z.Guthie and S.Simpson as rookies that need upgrading - both been on the rookie list for 2 years and have a further year to run on their contracts. Speculation they may be delisted and paid out to allow two further ND picks to be taken.

Cats have Z.Guthie and S.Simpson as rookies that need upgrading - both been on the rookie list for 2 years and have a further year to run on their contracts. Speculation they may be delisted and paid out to allow two further ND picks to be taken.
Yeah I saw that in the Geelong contracts thread after I posted it. Dunno what happens there as there's no-one else on the main list (bar Henderson) OOC and it is foolish to pass on picks like 24 and 36 - you might be right that two guys get delisted and re-rookied.

Essendon:

McKernan is already on the senior list, so that should be 39. We always have 39 lol.

Outgoings is right, although Jake Long has apparently signed up to play for St Mary's. He hasn't been officially delisted yet.

With the 3 confirmed retirements/delistings and Cutler, Phillips and Draper coming into the senior list, we should be sitting on 39, so 1 live pick.

I don't think we've had 40 on the senior list for years and years, so there will definitely be at least one delisting (Long?) to take the minimum 3 at the draft (including rookie upgrade). And then probably one more off the list to get back to 39, which I'm guessing will be Hartley moved to the rookie list or via DFA. That would mean Brown gets re-signed, which makes sense since our tall forwards are a hard to staff area of the list lately.

So atm:
39 senior players
5 Cat A rookies - Clarke, Snelling, Jok, Mynott, McBride/McQuillan
1 Cat B rookie - McBride/McQuillan (only 1 Irishman allowed on the Cat B list)

If Clarke is delisted that will give us one more Cat A rookie spot to play with in addition to moving Hartley to the rookie list.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Greater Western Sydney:

That's OK for GWS, except for the comment that we may upgrade Reid. Zero chance of that happening IMHO. Conversely, by my understanding, both Zach Sproule & Jake Stein on the rookie list (both Cat B) are due for upgrade or delisting this year after spending 3 years on the list. Given us wanting picks for points to match academy bids, I can't see both being upgraded, and there's a fair chance that both will be delisted and re-rookied - but that depends on what machinations GWS come up with in respect of early picks and Tom Green. Also, I doubt that we'll take a DFA before the national draft for the same reason about needing live picks to accrue points (although it is technically possible if we elect to re-rookie the two Cat B rookies - I'd downgrade the wording to 'possible shot').

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Chaisa - that Brisbane Lions article also has Ryan Bastinac delisted: BRISBANE'S increasing depth has squeezed out fringe players Ben Keays, Josh Walker and Ryan Bastinac.

I would agree that they're likely to try to consolidate their current 3 live picks (16, 21 & 34) into an earlier selection, to end up with 2 live picks inside 40 and an academy selection/match at 48 (that pick having gone live with the consolidation).
Bastinac was on the rookie list.

My pure guess is that Corey Lyons and Sam Skinner will likely be redrafted on to the rookie list.

I think we’ll take 4 picks to the draft.

Updated with all current delistings.

Following players still out of contract:

Adelaide: Riley Knight (expect him to re-sign given he was with Nicks during his appointment announcement; though a couple of clubs were interested)
Brisbane Lions: Corey Lyons, Sam Skinner, Allen Christensen (I think the first two are probably delisted and re-rookied unless someone goes for them first. Christensen the interesting one - expected them to give him a new deal before Lester. Is he done?)
Carlton: Caleb Marchank, Darcy Lang, Matthew Kennedy, Nic Newman (this is according to FootyWire, so some of these are probably wrong. I suspect if they haven't yet Kennedy, Newman and Marchbank will get new deals, but Lang will be interesting)
Collingwood: Ben Crocker, Ben Reid, Brayden Sier, Lynden Dunn, Rupert Wills, Travis Varcoe (I'm pretty sure Sier re-signed but am unable to find confirmation for it, whereas Reid and Varcoe are meant to be close to new deals. Wills I suspect re-signs, but Dunn and Crocker might be up against it)
Essendon: Mitch Brown, Michael Hartley, Jake Long (Long I suspect gets delisted, Hartley I suspect if he does stay it's not on the main list and Brown probably re-signs)
Fremantle: Tom North (up against it, but may be re-rookied?)
Geelong: Lachie Henderson (likely to be delisted or retire, this suggests that two more guys have to have their contracts bought out)
Gold Coast: Pearce Hanley, Jack Martin, Aaron Young, Brayden Crossley, George Horlin-Smith (Hanley likely stays if nothing is announced whereas it wouldn't make sense for them to sign Horlin-Smith and only give him one year. Martin will not sign a new contract, Crossley if he stays will probably be on the rookie list and Young sounds like he might struggle for a new deal too)
Greater Western Sydney: Tom Sheridan (I suspect he's up against it regarding a new deal)
Hawthorn: Conor Glass (interesting this one. Given the Hawks announced a whole bunch of other delistings though I think he gets another year?)
Melbourne: N/A
North Melbourne: N/A
Port Adelaide: Jack Watts, Sam Gray (info probably wrong on Watts, Gray I think stays but it's worth noting a couple of other clubs were keen)
Richmond: Ben Miller (see Glass, if Richmond were delisting him I think they'd have already announced it)
St Kilda: Jack Newnes, Nathan Brown (I think Brown's 50/50 though they've already cut a few guys he might yet stay as they're already going quite deep into the draft whereas Newnes might stay but has interest elsewhere)
Sydney: Jack Maibaum, Daniel Menzel (not sure what happens here, if I had to guess Maibaum gets another year but Menzel does not)
West Coast: Hamish Brayshaw (I think if he was getting delisted they'd have announced it with the other two, so probably safe)
Western Bulldogs: Tory Dickson, Fletcher Roberts, Lukas Webb (Dickson supposedly has a contract in front of him, assuming he signs it that dooms Roberts and Webb)

I think North will only have 3 live picks as we had a list of 39, four delisted/retired plus Zurhaar and Bonar will get us to 40 on the main list.
We might not have a rookie pick with 'Amazing Race' Wilkinson being replaced by mid-season recruit Hosie. Only Tom McKenzie on the rookie list does not have a contract at the moment. Hoping he gets one as he was injured virtually all season so didn't get a decent crack at it.

Apr 1, 2008
NASA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg
Updated with all current delistings.

Following players still out of contract:

Adelaide: Riley Knight (expect him to re-sign given he was with Nicks during his appointment announcement; though a couple of clubs were interested)
Brisbane Lions: Corey Lyons, Sam Skinner, Allen Christensen (I think the first two are probably delisted and re-rookied unless someone goes for them first. Christensen the interesting one - expected them to give him a new deal before Lester. Is he done?)
Carlton: Caleb Marchank, Darcy Lang, Matthew Kennedy, Nic Newman (this is according to FootyWire, so some of these are probably wrong. I suspect if they haven't yet Kennedy, Newman and Marchbank will get new deals, but Lang will be interesting)
Collingwood: Ben Crocker, Ben Reid, Brayden Sier, Lynden Dunn, Rupert Wills, Travis Varcoe (I'm pretty sure Sier re-signed but am unable to find confirmation for it, whereas Reid and Varcoe are meant to be close to new deals. Wills I suspect re-signs, but Dunn and Crocker might be up against it)
Essendon: Mitch Brown, Michael Hartley, Jake Long (Long I suspect gets delisted, Hartley I suspect if he does stay it's not on the main list and Brown probably re-signs)
Fremantle: Tom North (up against it, but may be re-rookied?)
Geelong: Lachie Henderson (likely to be delisted or retire, this suggests that two more guys have to have their contracts bought out)
Gold Coast: Pearce Hanley, Jack Martin, Aaron Young, Brayden Crossley, George Horlin-Smith (Hanley likely stays if nothing is announced whereas it wouldn't make sense for them to sign Horlin-Smith and only give him one year. Martin will not sign a new contract, Crossley if he stays will probably be on the rookie list and Young sounds like he might struggle for a new deal too)
Greater Western Sydney: Tom Sheridan (I suspect he's up against it regarding a new deal)
Hawthorn: Conor Glass (interesting this one. Given the Hawks announced a whole bunch of other delistings though I think he gets another year?)
Melbourne: N/A
North Melbourne: N/A
Port Adelaide: Jack Watts, Sam Gray (info probably wrong on Watts, Gray I think stays but it's worth noting a couple of other clubs were keen)
Richmond: Ben Miller (see Glass, if Richmond were delisting him I think they'd have already announced it)
St Kilda: Jack Newnes, Nathan Brown (I think Brown's 50/50 though they've already cut a few guys he might yet stay as they're already going quite deep into the draft whereas Newnes might stay but has interest elsewhere)
Sydney: Jack Maibaum, Daniel Menzel (not sure what happens here, if I had to guess Maibaum gets another year but Menzel does not)
West Coast: Hamish Brayshaw (I think if he was getting delisted they'd have announced it with the other two, so probably safe)
Western Bulldogs: Tory Dickson, Fletcher Roberts, Lukas Webb (Dickson supposedly has a contract in front of him, assuming he signs it that dooms Roberts and Webb)
Long has been cut, apparently.

AFL out with the picks clubs expect to use - https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-10-24/how-many-picks-will-your-club-use-in-the-2019-draft

Have updated the first post with said information. Mostly supports the current contract status, with a few exceptions:

* Fremantle have to delist someone currently with a contract in 2020 to use all 5 picks. I suppose it might mean that the Giro/Hughes info wasn't 100% accurate, given I can't find any confirmation regarding the matter. Joao help?
* Geelong need to delist two 2020 contracted players.
* Gold Coast need to delist one 2020 contracted player. This is a bit easier with the longer rookie list.

Suggests that the Hawks and the Swans are targetting a DFA or upgrading another rookie too.

ubiquitous226

All Australian
Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
AFL out with the picks clubs expect to use - https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-10-24/how-many-picks-will-your-club-use-in-the-2019-draft

Have updated the first post with said information. Mostly supports the current contract status, with a few exceptions:

* Fremantle have to delist someone currently with a contract in 2020 to use all 5 picks. I suppose it might mean that the Giro/Hughes info wasn't 100% accurate, given I can't find any confirmation regarding the matter. Joao help?
* Geelong need to delist two 2020 contracted players.
* Gold Coast need to delist one 2020 contracted player. This is a bit easier with the longer rookie list.

Suggests that the Hawks and the Swans are targetting a DFA or upgrading another rookie too.

Giro: https://m.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2019-02-08/young-duo-sign-on
Public commitment to upgrade for 2020.

Hughes: https://m.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2019-05-23/freo-duo-ink-new-deals
I'm not aware of any public commitment to an upgrade (back) to the main list, it has just been assumed as far as I know.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle

I'm not aware of any public commitment to an upgrade (back) to the main list, it has just been assumed as far as I know.
Hughes' contract was two years, as far as I know that means main list.

Chaisa if North is delisted and Carter is still a rookie I believe we have 4 list spots. I am guessing Afl.com knows something we don't or Hughes is still a rookie.

Hughes' contract was two years, as far as I know that means main list.

Chaisa if North is delisted and Carter is still a rookie I believe we have 4 list spots. I am guessing Afl.com knows something we don't or Hughes is still a rookie.
Cheers dudes.

IIRC Hughes was put back on the rookie list last year so I think he can stay on the rookie list. I'll take him off until I get full confirmation about whether he's being upgraded or not.

ubiquitous226

All Australian
Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Cheers dudes.

IIRC Hughes was put back on the rookie list last year so I think he can stay on the rookie list. I'll take him off until I get full confirmation about whether he's being upgraded or not.

Correct, he was delisted and re-rookied.
Most of the logic follows the line he played too many games and deserves a main list spot.

Let me know what I've gotten wrong, particularly rookie elevations which are tough to find info on. Draper and Ronke I think have to be elevated but I haven't seen anything confirming.

Adelaide
Deletions: 6 (Douglas, Otten, Betts, Jacobs, Jenkins, Keath)
Additions: 2 (Frampton, Murphy)
Live picks: 6 (currently 4, 23, 28, 37, 45, 49)

Brisbane
Deletions: 9 (Hodge, Cutler, Taylor, Keays, CLyons, Robertson, Skinner, ASmith, Walker)
Additions: 5 (Ah Chee, Birchall, Ellis-Yolmen, McInerney, Hinge)
Live picks: 4 (currently 21, 29, 34, 48)

Carlton
Deletions: 8 (Fasolo, Thomas, Phillips, Garlett, Kerr, Lobb, Pickett, Schumacher)
Additions: 3 (Betts, Pittonet, Newnes)
Live picks: 5 (currently 9, 43, 57, 70, 85)

Collingwood
Deletions: 5 (Goldsack, Wells, Aish, Crocker, Dunn)
Additions: 2 (Cameron, Lynch)
Live picks: 5 (currently 35, 62, 74, 110, 128, likely to only take three)

Essendon
Deletions: 6 (Baguley, Myers, Brown, Houlahan, Long, Hartley)
Additions: 3 (Cutler, Phillips, Draper I think?)
Live picks: 5 (currently 31, 33, 61, 64, 65)

Fremantle
Deletions: 8 (Sandilands, BHill, Langdon, Ballantyne, Dixon, Jones, Kersten, North)
Additions: 2 (Acres, Aish)
Live picks: 6 (currently 7, 10, 22, 58, 69, 79, also have 83)

Geelong
Deletions: 8 (Kelly, Smith, Abbott, Brownless, Buzza, Cunico, Henderson, SSelwood)
Additions: 4 (Jenkins, Steven, ZGuthrie, Simpson)
Live picks: 4 (currently 14, 17, 24, 36)

Gold Coast
Deletions: 7 (Nicholls, Ah Chee, Crossley, Nutting, Schoenfeld, Young, plus Martin to come)
Additions: 3 (BEllis, Greenwood, Smith)
Live picks: 5 (currently 1, 2, 15, 20, 78 - may leave last one for the PSD to redraft Martin)

GWS Giants
Deletions: 6 (Deledio, Simpson, Bonar, Patton, Tomlinson, Sheridan)
Additions: 1 (Jacobs)
Live picks: 6 (currently 6, 40, 59, 60, 80, 94)

Hawthorn
Deletions: 8 (Roughead, Schoenmakers, Birchall, Pittonet, Brand, Miles, Minchington, Mirra)
Additions: 4 (Frost, Patton, Hanrahan, Nash)
Live picks: 6 (currently 11, 30, 42, 54, 63, 87)

Melbourne
Deletions: 6 (Lewis, Maynard, Frost, Garlett, Kennedy-Harris, Stretch)
Additions: 2 (Langdon, Tomlinson)
Live picks: 5 (currently 3, 8, 97, 115, 133)

North
Deletions: 4 (Thompson, Wright, Hrovat, Watson)
Additions: 2 (Bonar, Zurhaar)
Live picks: 4 (currently 26, 27, 47, 50, also have 73 and 84)

Port Power
Deletions: 7 (Frampton, Howard, Ryder, Broadbent, Gray, Johnson, Trengove)
Additions: 3 (Buzza, Ladhams, Lienert)
Live picks: 4 (currently 12, 16, 18, 52, also have 55)

Richmond
Deletions: 5 (Grigg, Butler, Ellis, Menadue, Moore)
Additions: 0
Live picks: 7 (currently 19, 38, 39, 41, 56, 75, 77)

St Kilda
Deletions: 10 (Armitage, Acres, Bruce, Steven, Longer, McCartin, Newnes, Rice, White, Young)
Additions: 6 (Butler, Hill, Howard, Jones, Ryder, Joyce)
Live picks: 4 (currently 51, 82, 100, 118 - only likely to use two)

Sydney
Deletions: 9 (Grundy, Jack, McVeigh, Smith, Cameron, Jones, Maibaum, Menzel, Rose)
Additions: 2 (Taylor, Ronke elevated?)
Live picks: 9 (currently 5, 25, 32, 44, 76, 81, 99)

West Coast
Deletions: 3 (MAllen, Masten, Mutimer)
Additions: 2 (Kelly, Watson)
Live picks: 2 (currently 46, 91)

Western Bulldogs
Deletions: 5 (Boyd, Morris, Picken, Roberts, Webb)
Additions: 2 (Bruce, Keath)
Live picks: 3 (currently 11, 53, 89)

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Let me know what I've gotten wrong, particularly rookie elevations which are tough to find info on. Draper and Ronke I think have to be elevated but I haven't seen anything confirming.

GWS Giants
Deletions: 6 (Deledio, Simpson, Bonar, Patton, Tomlinson, Sheridan)
Additions: 1 (Jacobs)
Live picks: 4 (currently 6, 40, 59, 60, 80)
GWS actually had only 39 on its 2019 list; and also the maths is out: 39-6+1=6 live picks.
I expect we'll trade for some additional picks/points; and then only take 3 proper selections in the draft plus a late Sheridan/Sproule/Stein to make 38 (or something like that depending on where bids come etc).

Back