Strategy Your club's draft/trade needs 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

1) Clearance beast - upgrade on Dunstan
2) Tall back who's excels in one on one contests (May/Barrass type)
3) Gun tap ruckman to replace Ryder in the future

Based on the last little bit:

- goal kicking small forwards
- small backs
- midfielders who can use it well

For the Swans it is still

1. Inside mid
2. Tall KPD capable of taking on the 200cm forwards
3. Ruckman
I’d swap inside mid and ruck (and make sure said IM is 6’2”+), but yeah this. Maybe also depends on who is forced out at the end of the year.

We will have 3 picks in the 30s and one in the 50s (pending trade week).

Needs
1. Ready to go ruck-stanley might retire/delist, sav doesnt have the endurance base to be a no1 ruck yet, fort is a 28yo journeyman and we need blitz in other roles. Need a mid 20s ready to go ruck while neale develops for the future in the vfl.
2. KPD-hendo is a year to year proposition (age and body not form) and kreguer and de koning look good but are relatively untried. We need to build our depth in this area.
3.midfield-the starting midfield is very good but most of them besides parfitt are pushing the wrong side of 30. I expect narkle and constable and maybe clark to go in trade week. While we dont need mids now we will need them in 3 years so we probably need to draft this. Holmes this year has exceeded expectations and a fit sam simpson will help here but we need more.

Dont need small forwards or key forwards atm and wingers we are fairly well covered.

Needs
1. Ready to go ruck-stanley might retire/delist, sav doesnt have the endurance base to be a no1 ruck yet, fort is a 28yo journeyman and we need blitz in other roles. Need a mid 20s ready to go ruck while neale develops for the future in the vfl.
2. KPD-hendo is a year to year proposition (age and body not form) and kreguer and de koning look good but are relatively untried. We need to build our depth in this area.
This year's draft seems to lack both rucks and KPDs, although with later picks there will always be options available, just depends whether you rate them. What do you think the Cats recruiters will do - try to trade those guys in, or stick with the draft? Geelong tend to do pretty well with later draft selections.

This year's draft seems to lack both rucks and KPDs, although with later picks there will always be options available, just depends whether you rate them. What do you think the Cats recruiters will do - try to trade those guys in, or stick with the draft? Geelong tend to do pretty well with later draft selections.
Will they go back to their old mate Schlensog....

Entirely possible, he can be picked up DFA can't he?

Of course, he might like, or be offered more by another club.

Actually, I'd like it if my club induced him to join us as we could do with a developing KPD.
If he puts his name down for the draft, he’s available to every club, in the National Draft or Rookie Draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Entirely possible, he can be picked up DFA can't he?

Of course, he might like, or be offered more by another club.

Actually, I'd like it if my club induced him to join us as we could do with a developing KPD.
After, or in fact, even before Astbury's retirement announcement i was hoping he could be a welcomed addition to Richmonds backline in waiting.

After, or in fact, even before Astbury's retirement announcement i was hoping he could be a welcomed addition to Richmonds backline in waiting.
From the number of clubs in this thread (admittedly, as perceived by us fans) having a KPD as a priority, and the limited number of KPDs in this year's draft pool, Schlensog could be close to the most sought after DFA of all time. Young enough to have a good career ahead, but with some experience that he's not an absolute new draftee.

Talia the other who you would think will have clubs very interested as a short term but highly experienced option, provided his medical report is OK.

We will have 3 picks in the 30s and one in the 50s (pending trade week).

Needs
3.midfield-the starting midfield is very good but most of them besides parfitt are pushing the wrong side of 30. I expect narkle and constable and maybe clark to go in trade week. While we dont need mids now we will need them in 3 years so we probably need to draft this. Holmes this year has exceeded expectations and a fit sam simpson will help here but we need more.

Dont need small forwards or key forwards atm and wingers we are fairly well covered.

We will fist fight you for the first two. Nominate a player to take to the ring. We're sending Aaron Naughton.

Last edited:
I prefer reading supporters of clubs opinions on draft needs more than any media 'experts'. Generally clubs supporters who watch every game know their deficiencies a lot better.

I'm reminded of whoever that 'list manager' is that gets on trade radio last year saying Hawthorn needed 'more inside midfielders'. That was and is still the last position we need to address.

We need a classy mid and a mid/fwd with X-factor.
Then perhaps a long term KPD if one is available.
A back up ruck/fwd will be required soon too.

I prefer reading supporters of clubs opinions on draft needs more than any media 'experts'. Generally clubs supporters who watch every game know their deficiencies a lot better.
Yep. The other element is that the die-hard supporters also generally know an awful lot more than the media about what kids are in the seconds and how they're going. With Essendon, so many pundits have linked us to B-grade or fringe talls without realising we've got about 5-6 in the VFL (many drafted in 2019 & 2020). Yes, we could do with an elite key forward. But if we're getting someone who may develop, well we've got plenty who fit that criteria already.

Of course, you then have eth-dog and I both putting down 3 needs for EFC, and only matching on one! :laughing:

Yep. The other element is that the die-hard supporters also generally know an awful lot more than the media about what kids are in the seconds and how they're going. With Essendon, so many pundits have linked us to B-grade or fringe talls without realising we've got about 5-6 in the VFL (many drafted in 2019 & 2020). Yes, we could do with an elite key forward. But if we're getting someone who may develop, well we've got plenty who fit that criteria already.

Of course, you then have eth-dog and I both putting down 3 needs for EFC, and only matching on one! :laughing:
We agree on the bare bones of two (small defenders/half backs and midfield) just a slight change in interpretation on the latter. I'm also factoring our father sons that look to be drafted this year and next as part of the small forwards thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back