Strategy Your club's draft/trade needs 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Trade capital?
We're not getting anything serious in return unfortunately. I'd guess that if Essendon were to offer their (current) Pick 45 + Pick 51, we'd take it, even if we needed to send a late future pick back. I'm inclined to think we'll prioritise points in any player trades made this year in the hope we can get full value out of our 1st without just selling it for points.

Instincts

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
1- midfield depth
2-key forward, ready to play, 22-25yo range
3-small forward

1-dunstan & hewett via FA. Goater via draft, trade 2022 1st in for 2x top 20 picks and two more bites
2-????
3-Billings

CCJ is probably your best option that is on the market. (I haven't really been paying attention to trade news this year so I may be wrong)

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
1- midfield depth
2-key forward, ready to play, 22-25yo range
3-small forward

1-dunstan & hewett via FA. Goater via draft, trade 2022 1st in for 2x top 20 picks and two more bites
2-????
3-Billings
Billings isn't really a small forward. He's spent more time forward this year due to a foot injury but would still primarily see himself as a wing.

Dexter6

Debutant
Mar 14, 2021
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
1. Experienced KPD: Astbury would be ideal as it would only cost salary cap and allow Gardner to develop more.

2. Draft Points for Darcy: Whether that's trading 2022 picks forward or losing depth

3. Mature Ruck: English looks better as a 70/30 forward-ruck, and Martin hasn't been able to get on the park as much as we'd like. Don't know who would be on the market that we'd go for. Maybe a Ladhams who can swap more with English resting forward.

4. Burning the photos that Roarke Smith has of Bevo that he uses as blackmail to be picked over higher quality players.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
West Coast
1. Big bodied Inside Midfielder. Ideally someone that can be damaging on the outside too, but a genuine big bodied midfielder.
2. Creative Mid/FWD. Preferably with some pace, but capable of playing on a HFF as well. (rather than a forward capable of some inside minutes)
3. Project KPD or Ruckman

2. Sam Butler - likened to Butters at Port (no pun intended)

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Thats a lot of points required - 3000+.

Swap a future first for one of yours this year?
No.

As long as we have enough points to cover an early first round bid on Ashcroft, we shouldn’t care about a draft deficit on a second round bid or later on any other father son or academy prospects next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

dylan93

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Looking at our ageing players:

SMALL/MED DEF: Hibberd (31), Jetta (31),
KEY DEF: May (29), Tomlinson (28)
MID: Jones (33)
RUC: Gawn (29), Daw (30)
SMALL/MED DEF: Melksham (29), vandenBerg (29),
KEY FWD: M. Brown (30), T. McDonald (28), B. Brown (28)

I think we've got ample small/medium defenders coming through (Bowey, Lockhart, D. Smith, Laurie, etc). Ditto with most of our small/medium forwards are rather young (Pickett, Spargo, Bedford, etc).

Jackson appears to be that Grundy-esque RUC who can push MID/FWD when needed so RUC is covered for the most part.

Petty/Turner/Hore/Declase should be fine to get a few more seasons under the belt before May or Tommo consider retirement.

It pretty much leaves our glaring need to be a Key Forward especially if we trade Weideman. Additional midfielders probably the next areas of need.

Draft/Trade Needs:

1. Key Forward (Mac Andrew if he falls outside the top 20, otherwise I could see the club trading up the order if we think we've put a lot of effort into his development).
2. Midfielders (particularly outside mids with pace and good kicking skills).
3. Taj Woewodin (Father/Son - doing rather well in the WAFL Colts by the look of it but should go late/rookie at the moment).
4. Small/Medium Forwards.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Looking at our ageing players:

SMALL/MED DEF: Hibberd (31), Jetta (31),
KEY DEF: May (29), Tomlinson (28)
MID: Jones (33)
RUC: Gawn (29), Daw (30)
SMALL/MED DEF: Melksham (29), vandenBerg (29),
KEY FWD: M. Brown (30), T. McDonald (28), B. Brown (28)

I think we've got ample small/medium defenders coming through (Bowey, Lockhart, D. Smith, Laurie, etc). Ditto with most of our small/medium forwards are rather young (Pickett, Spargo, Bedford, etc).

Jackson appears to be that Grundy-esque RUC who can push MID/FWD when needed so RUC is covered for the most part.

Petty/Turner/Hore/Declase should be fine to get a few more seasons under the belt before May or Tommo consider retirement.

It pretty much leaves our glaring need to be a Key Forward especially if we trade Weideman. Additional midfielders probably the next areas of need.

Draft/Trade Needs:

1. Key Forward (Mac Andrew if he falls outside the top 20, otherwise I could see the club trading up the order if we think we've put a lot of effort into his development).
2. Midfielders (particularly outside mids with pace and good kicking skills).
3. Taj Woewodin (Father/Son - doing rather well in the WAFL Colts by the look of it but should go late/rookie at the moment).
4. Small/Medium Forwards.

I honestly don't see Andrew making it to Melbourne. Think he's a chance to bolt high into the top 10.

At that point you'd have to question what you'd be willing to give up just to get him?

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I honestly don't see Andrew making it to Melbourne. Think he's a chance to bolt high into the top 10.

At that point you'd have to question what you'd be willing to give up just to get him?

Id imagine that to get a top 10 pick Melbourne would need to trade this year and next year’s first rounder.

dylan93

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Do you guys have a first rounder this year?

Nah Melbourne don't have a first rounder this year currently.

I could see us trading next years first to get back into this years, then through Weideman/swap of picks/other players like a Harmes type to guarantee a high enough pick.

Then again some boards have many midfielders leapfrogging Mac and that a 15-25 pick should be sufficient to nab him considering how raw Mac is.

We're not getting anything serious in return unfortunately. I'd guess that if Essendon were to offer their (current) Pick 45 + Pick 51, we'd take it, even if we needed to send a late future pick back. I'm inclined to think we'll prioritise points in any player trades made this year in the hope we can get full value out of our 1st without just selling it for points.
Essendon could just package up a bunch of late picks they may not use anyway, as we're only concerned with total points.
Could wind up as a classic win/win trade.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Both Greg Swan and Stephen Conole have said the Lions won’t be active in the transfer market this year, due to a tight salary cap, and have said the we plan on taking our two first round picks to the draft.

That leaves us with two 3rd round picks and two 4th round picks that we’re likely to trade for future picks.

So if you’re a club that needs some points this year, we might have a deal for you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back