Your club's identity

Deep

Genius on Drugs
Jun 16, 2017
Waterfall Gully
AFL Club
Geelong
After 2013-2017 it's really time for my club to change the logo.
Are you referring to this genius?

7151D78B-C14A-4C1B-A13E-5D8DB5993464.jpeg

Deep

Genius on Drugs
Jun 16, 2017
Waterfall Gully
AFL Club
Geelong
Isnt the Gold Coast a completely seperate city to Brisbane?
Doesnt that help?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Of course it helps just like how it does with Freo and Geelong however Freo get slapped in the face a bit because West Coast and not Perth Eagles. But out of all interstate clubs the ones who really cop it is Port Adelaide which isn’t even a city it’s just one massive area with suburbs around it but does their many generations of history help them? Yeah of course.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Of course it helps just like how it does with Freo and Geelong however Freo get slapped in the face a bit because West Coast and not Perth Eagles. But out of all interstate clubs the ones who really cop it is Port Adelaide which isn’t even a city it’s just one massive area with suburbs around it but does their many generations of history help them? Yeah of course.
Thats ok

But wasnt anything to do with who I was replying to.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

MCXIV

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
I hate generalisations, and I don't think clubs can truly have an identity unless it was truly contrived or of past political, religious and class systems.

However. I've never met a Port Adelaide supporter that I haven't enjoyed the company of...there hasn't been many, but if it's by percentage I'd say they are the best.

MasterSamurai

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
BayernMunchen
I hate generalisations, and I don't think clubs can truly have an identity unless it was truly contrived or of past political, religious and class systems.

However. I've never met a Port Adelaide supporter that I haven't enjoyed the company of...there hasn't been many, but if it's by percentage I'd say they are the best.
I guess you haven't met ones who pronounce Power as ' come on Peeaarr ' , so until you do, hold the judgement.

I totally agree that this is the image portrayed in the media however:

- Freo majority suburbs are only in and around Freo and the richest suburbs of Cottelsoe, Mosman Park, Nedlands, etc. The suburbs with the lowest % of Freo fans are the poorest suburbs in the SE corridor and around Midland.

The market research you can buy shows that Freo fans are most likely (in the league, not just VS West Coast) to
- have bought a book in the survey period, and
- work in IT
...And Freo fans are second most likely in the league to hold private health insurance (behind Hawthorn Fans). Holding private health insurance is generally considered a wealth indicator.

The above would seem to suggest that things are, at the very least, a little murkier than first thought.

(The most amazing stat for in all that market research data was that, at one point, over 90% of Hawks fans were Liberal voters. Such a one sided result is remarkable.)
Having lived in Perth for a while, Freo supporters in general seem grimier than West Coast supporters. I think also tha Fremantle’s locality isn’t really a huge factor - I’m thinking most of the rich families in Dalkeith/City Beach/Cottesloe adopter the ‘State’ team when it came in, whereas it wasn’t so readily adopted by those in lower socioeconomic areas who in my experience clung to their WAFL allegiances for longer.

Speaking generally, I think south of the river has a 60%/40% Freo/West Coast split and generally the West Coast supporters are the higher class of people.

North of the river id suggest the support split is closer to 15%/85% and I don’t really have a formed opinion on the relative “class” of the supporters.

Edit: There are a huge amount of autocorrects in that post, so apologies for things that don’t make sense.

basashi

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
FFC Quay Club
I’m thinking most of the rich families in Dalkeith/City Beach/Cottesloe adopter the ‘State’ team when it came in, whereas it wasn’t so readily adopted by those in lower socioeconomic areas who in my experience clung to their WAFL allegiances for longer.

Those are the only suburbs outside Freo where there are more Freo than West Coast fans.

Smokeyr67

Premiership Player
Mar 8, 2002
Brisbane QLD
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pies

gangsta deluxe

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Rajasthan Royals!!!
Class structure of club supporters is a load of crap in the 21st century.
Possibly had some basis in the 1920's but not today.
All teams have followers from all demographics and none have an abundance of one over the other.

Please, enlighten us about the empirical evidence that you are basing this on concerning supporter demographics at different clubs. You are basing it on that right? If not you are full of s**t, and this and all future claims of yours should be disregarded.

I mean seriously... "none have an abundance of one over the other" - do you really think that? Let alone the fact that there are more likely to be an abundance of people from certain classes in a supporter base in any given instance simply because there are more people from those classes than others, I doubt very much that historical trends in club support have simply disappeared (especially when families from low SES backgrounds are more likely than not to remain low SES as generations pass).

And why the 1920s? How much do you know about class division and consciounsness in Australia? It appears to be painfully little.

Wouldn't expect any less from a Melbourne supporter, lol.

Smokeyr67

Premiership Player
Mar 8, 2002
Brisbane QLD
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pies
"Southport.......... The club has a long history of winning premierships and genuinely believe they are better than everyone else"

Must be something about the black and white jumper....

It's all about clarity glasshopper, black/white, dark/light, yin/yang, bringing life back to the basics.

Back