Your clubs Mount Rushmore

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
So I've seen this a lot in NBA circles where they discuss the Mount Rushmore of basketball where people basically pick their four best players of all time.

So I was wondering who all you guys would select on the Mount Rushmore of your club. Basically who are in your opinion, the four best and greatest players to ever play for your club.

The Liverpool Mount Rushmore for me is ...

Steven Gerrard
Kenny Dalglish
John Barnes
Luis Suarez

Unlucky for Rush and Fowler.

So I've seen this a lot in NBA circles where they discuss the Mount Rushmore of basketball where people basically pick their four best players of all time.

So I was wondering who all you guys would select on the Mount Rushmore of your club. Basically who are in your opinion, the four best and greatest players to ever play for your club.

The Liverpool Mount Rushmore for me is ...

Steven Gerrard
Kenny Dalglish
John Barnes
Luis Suarez

Unlucky for Rush and Fowler.
Suarez, while brilliant in his three years, embroiled your club in a racism scandal, got banned for biting, refused to train as he wanted to sign for arsenal, and celebrated hard when he scored against you a few years later.

A legend for me is someone who spent considerable time at a club and embraced everything about it. Can you really say that about Suarez?

Yeah just players. How long was Barmby at Hull for?

About 8 years, was also player manager at the end.

Joined us in League 1 moving from the PL which was massive and was a huge part of our charge up to the PL.

Suarez, while brilliant in his three years, embroiled your club in a racism scandal, got banned for biting, refused to train as he wanted to sign for arsenal, and celebrated hard when he scored against you a few years later.

A legend for me is someone who spent considerable time at a club and embraced everything about it. Can you really say that about Suarez?
When he was here you wouldn't find a more dedicated and manic player obsessed with excellence and winning which mirrors the club.

Sure you get the bad with the good with Suarez and I don't care that he celebrated a goal against us. That was a massive game and a CL semi, it was a big goal to score.

But three and a half years is a good chunk of time and going by absolute pound for pound the best footballers to play for the club. Suarez just has to make it for mine.

Who's on your Chelsea Mt Rushmore?

I didn't know that. What about Robbo? You once had the best LB in world football on your books? :p

Edited my post, was actually 8 years after a quick check.

Robertson was with us for 3 years, doesn't come close.

When he was here you wouldn't find a more dedicated and manic player obsessed with excellence and winning which mirrors the club.

Sure you get the bad with the good with Suarez and I don't care that he celebrated a goal against us. That was a massive game and a CL semi, it was a big goal to score.

But three and a half years is a good chunk of time and going by absolute pound for pound the best footballers to play for the club. Suarez just has to make it for mine.

From my time:

JT
Lampard
Drogba
Hazard

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fernando Torres had a better goal scoring record at Liverpool than Suarez from a similar amount of games.

He also finished 3rd in a Ballon d'Or whilst there.

I consider peak Torres at Liverpool better than peak Suarez. He felt a fair bit bigger from a league perspective as well. That's how I felt as a neutral anyway.

John Terry was also embroiled in a racism scandal and slept with a teammates wife. I assume most Chelsea fans have him in their legends of the club. Suarez didn't refuse to train either, he was made to train alone until he sorted out his future and his goal celebration at the Nou Camp was typical for any player who'd just scored the first goal in the semi finals of a Champions League tie at home. Suarez also often refused treatment for injuries, hardly missed a game and trained harder than just about anyone. As Liverpool's best player of the modern era you'll find many that rate him as one of the greatest, it's just a shame he played at a time when the club were in a rebuilding phase and didn't have the quality of team now, otherwise he would have been terrifying.

Fernando Torres had a better goal scoring record at Liverpool than Suarez from a similar amount of games.

He also finished 3rd in a Ballon d'Or whilst there.

I consider peak Torres at Liverpool better than peak Suarez. He felt a fair bit bigger from a league perspective as well. That's how I felt as a neutral anyway.

Look at the team he had around him though, bug difference. Suarez easily better than Torres, he had the ability to win games on his own. Torres didn't.

Look at the team he had around him though, bug difference. Suarez easily better than Torres, he had the ability to win games on his own. Torres didn't.

Nah, as a neutral I always felt peak Torres was better in the prem than Suarez.

Suarez had Gerrard, Henderson, Coutinho, Sturridge, Lucas etc.

Torres was working with Gerrard, Alonso, Kuyt, Benayoun, Babel, Lucas etc.

Hardly a massive difference.

John Terry was also embroiled in a racism scandal and slept with a teammates wife. I assume most Chelsea fans have him in their legends of the club. Suarez didn't refuse to train either, he was made to train alone until he sorted out his future and his goal celebration at the Nou Camp was typical for any player who'd just scored the first goal in the semi finals of a Champions League tie at home. Suarez also often refused treatment for injuries, hardly missed a game and trained harder than just about anyone. As Liverpool's best player of the modern era you'll find many that rate him as one of the greatest, it's just a shame he played at a time when the club were in a rebuilding phase and didn't have the quality of team now, otherwise he would have been terrifying.

Just to play devils advocate, did Salah celebrate scoring against Roma in the semis?

Suarez played on the edge and it doesn't surprise me he celebrated against us. In terms of his pure footballing ability he makes it onto our Mt.Rushmore (at least in terms of the last 15 years as long as I can remember and players I've seen) but if you take into consideration his controversies then it becomes debatable.

Mo Salah is a bigger Liverpool legend than Suarez and it’s not even close.

Suarez was great but he won one league cup and spent most of his time trying to leave the club. Talent wise yeah he’s up there but it takes more than just talent to get your face on a hypothetical mountain.

Im not much of a Terry as a person fan(and he wouldn't be in my rushmore), but he didnt sleep with anyones wife.

Mo Salah is a bigger Liverpool legend than Suarez and it’s not even close.

Suarez was great but he won one league cup and spent most of his time trying to leave the club. Talent wise yeah he’s up there but it takes more than just talent to get your face on a hypothetical mountain.

Has a superior record to both Suarez and Torres and actually won something.

Terry's not perfect but he gave everything to Chelsea, won everything for Chelsea and never wanted to leave Chelsea.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back