Your club's report card 21/22

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
With the curtains drawn on another season, I guess it's time to reflect on your club's season. Its highlights, lowlights, unforgettable moments, standouts and so on.

Arsenal

Highlight:

The progress the club has made. After three games we were bottom of the table and morale around the club and its supporters was very low. Arteta implemented his game plan, and his signings and things - for the most part - worked out as expected. Yes, missing fourth given the position we were in can be questioned, but Spurs aren't t exactly a poor team, and with Conte at the helm,

Lowlight:
Arteta's squad management has definitely been questionable. Granted he has got rid of a lot of rotten personalties/players who disrupted the dressing room, but he left us going thin after loaning out AMN, and the constant injuries we always face really hurt us in the final run. Definitely could have been handled better. We saw in the home stretch we were exposed with lack of first teamers and injuries taking their toll.

Player of the season:
Saka. He bounced back so well after the disappointment of the Euros to have a very good season. Kid is already a star and only going to get better.

Signing of the season:
All have been pretty good, but it's gotta be Odegaard. Think he will prove to be a massive bargain, and he just absolutely oozes talent. Ramsdale a close second.

Unsung Hero:
Tomiyasu. Prior to his spell with injuries, he slotted in so well and came in, always gave 100% and proved he was a reliable and solid player.

Moment to remember:
The last minute winner against Wolves. It was a tough game from memory and to win it right at the death was brilliant.

Moment to forget:
The loss to Everton in December is definitely up there. It still burns me so hard. We were rubbish, but they had won one in eight or something and then didn't win again for months. It was a terrible performance from tactics, to coaching to the on field performances. If we had won that, we'd have finished fourth.

Sum up the season in five words:
Moving in the right direction

Overall:
Given how we started the season, the talk around our supposed transfer failings, the criticisms on Arteta, I think we did relatively well given everything. Sure, we had games we definitely should have won (like a lot of clubs), but the shortcomings the club has been so familiar with over the years have definitely become less prevalent this season. We have shown we can defend properly as a unit - something the club has lacked for a long time - and our brilliant run at the back not conceding from corners was a surprising, but pleasing stat. Fifth is probably where we deserve to be. We're not good enough for the CL yet, and we need to build on our performances this season. Become more consistent, kill games off and really put sides to the sword, especially when we are favourites.

Rating - B

Over to you fellas!

jd2010

Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC
Highlight: Conte. The man is a genius. Both on and off the pitch. The on field miracle with the squad of 17 that he had we can easily see the results from. But off field he has played it brilliantly. The Burnley meltdown which saw us go on a mental run home. The media drive by to Klopp. The slap down he gave Arteta. And then to top it off he is the first manager since 2004 to get a penny out of ENICs pockets.

Lowlight: the Nuno saga. 70 days without a manager. At the beginning of the search we were told it would be a manager who gets us playing a brand of football the fans would be proud of. We hired a manager whose wolves side could often be dire. And after 3 months had us playing worse football than Burnley under Dyche.

Player of the season: has to be Son

Signing of the season: Romero. If he had a full season he would probably be making team of the year next to VVD. Will overtake Toby and Ledley as the best CB I've seen play for Spurs in the next couple of the years.

Unsung Hero: Eric Dier and Ben Davies. Davies in a back 3 has always looked competent for Wales. And for most of his time under Conte that's what he was. But his final month was another level beyond that. As for Dier, I couldn't be happier for one of our players to turn things around. Love the way he goes about it. Cops flack from opposition and his own supporters far more than he should. Finished the season without a single error leading to a goal.

Moment to remember: NLD dismantling that saw an arsenal implosion up there with the best bottling you'll ever see.

Moment to forget: the crystal palace battering we got

Sum up the season in six words: Arsenal get battered, everywhere they go....

Sum up our season in five words: In Antonio we trust. Amen.

Rating - B+

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thank **** that is over

Highlight: staying up. Although games wise win over Hammers and comeback win against Wolves

Lowlight: Boy where do you start. The injuries, the hammerings, the Bielsa ending etc

Signing of the season: We’ll it’s either Firpo or Dan James so take Dan. Did play some good games on the wing when he got the chance but too inconsistent. Playing up front was just never going to work. Special mention to young Joe Gelhardt.. should’ve have played more but made his mark in little time he got. Big future

Player of season: Has to be Raph. Call out to Meslier, yeah he made some mistakes but still very young for a gk. Pulled off some great saves and considering depth at that position we were lucky he managed to play whole season

largebus

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Nationals, Pelicans
A-, would've been A+ if either the last two weeks had gone differently.

Highlight: The two trophies. Didn't expect to be anywhere near the league, let alone a quadruple. Best win was over Man City in the semi-final.
I'll claim Senegal winning AFCON as one as well.

Lowlight: Falling short yet again. We looked exhausted in the last month, to the point where I'm impressed we took the league to the final day.
We failed to score the first goal like 6 times in a row, I would've rather it cost us last week than last night.

Signing of the season: Only two choices, I've been more impressed by Konaté than Díaz though because of how assured he is on the ball. Feels a lot better knowing we don't have to bank on van Dijk staying fit.

Player of season: Close but Alisson was consistent week in week out, which does it for me more than Salah however unplayable he was in the first half of the season.

Highlight:

Can't look much past the final day, was looking like a pretty unsatisfying season with 20 minutes to go.

Lowlight:
Was really disappointing to end our run in the league Cup. Champions League exit wasn't great either.

Player of the season:
Has to be KDB. Took a while to get going this season, but when he did he dragged the club kicking and screaming to the title

Signing of the season:
Grealish. No-one else really qualifies.

Unsung Hero:
Rodri. Fits our style of play perfectly and came up with some really important goals.

Moment to remember:
Rodri goal against Arsenal was fun. But got to be Gundo's 2nd on the weekend.

Moment to forget:
Madrid - pick any moment from the last half hour or so.

Another trophy in the bag.

Overall:
Season started off slow with a lot of the squad injured or still on holiday. Was looking like one of those, then we just exploded up the standings at the same time our rivals for the league dropped off.

All the cup exits were disappointing. Two semis though, which once upon a time would have fulfilled all of my ambitions for the club twice over.

Held on a bit at the end, but can't complain at all. Looking forward to seeing us play with a proper striker next seaso , will be interesting to see how that change things.

Rating - B

Moment to remember:
FT7eXDvXwAQ8kMD

ADL9798

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Highlight:
FA Cup Final.
9-0 vs United was also nice.

Lowlight:
Champions League final.

Player of the season:
I think any season where you come so close to winning a quadruple it's never going to be down to a single player. A number of exceptional and consistent performers but if I had to pick one you can't go past Salah. 31 goals 15 assists is difficult to beat. Led the league in both.

Signing of the season:
Konate and Diaz our 2 major signings. Both met expectations and then some, and established themselves in the starting XI by the end of the season. I'd probably lean towards Diaz.

Unsung Hero:
Tsimikas. Must have been difficult for Klopp to leave him out at times. A brilliant left back and exceptional crosser of the ball who should be starting every week for a top club. We may struggle to keep him over the summer.

Moment to remember:

Moment to forget:
Any one of the missed chances in the Champions League final.

Whisker from a GOAT season.

Overall:
An FA Cup, a League Cup, a 3rd CL final in 5 years, 92 points in the league (1 point behind the champions) - when you lay it all out it's a pretty phenomenal effort by this group, which in my opinion is the best side we've ever assembled.

Unfortunately we missed an opportunity to go from being (along with City) the best side of this era, to being one of the best sides of all time.

Rating: A-

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Leeds D -

Hghlight - staying up. Staying up on the final day (great escape)

Lowlight - Bielsa leaving. Injuries

Might seem a generous ranking D -, but frankly, we had a nightmare season from almost the season kick off with crucial
and critical injuries to key players all season.

Was like getting blood from a stone at the end. Not a season I will care to remember too fondly going fowards

Manchester United

Highlight:

Put in a game here where Ronaldo scored at home - everyone loves the siuuuuuu. The opening day thrashing of Leeds and going undefeated for the opening five match days led to optimism that maybe this season we could challenge for the title and win things - optimism that was shattered only a couple of months later. There were occasional highlights in the latter half such as Spurs 3-2 but overall a season that won't end up as part of many fans' DVD collections. It is a minor miracle in itself that we somehow scraped Europa League qualification - that is the only reason my overall F grade (spoiler alert) gets a + at the end.

Lowlight:
Off-field there's been plenty (Liverpool matches, Brighton away, Watford away, Atletico at home) and of course Ole getting sacked (never nice even if the results warranted it) but Mason Greenwood is easily the darkest moment of the season.

Player of the season:
Does this even need to be asked?

Signing of the season:
Ditto

Unsung Hero:
Maybe I'll cop some flak for this but I think Scott McTominay tries hard and gets unfairly slated. Let's face it, there's not many to pick from as they are either correctly rated and praised (eg Ronaldo, De Gea, Bruno), or incredibly inconsistent or just pure s**t (take your pick).

Moment to remember:
Pick any moment in which Ronaldo scored the winner, especially his insane CL knockout stage run where he scored 6 in 5 games and with none of them being junk time or stat padding goals, but I particularly enjoyed his Spurs hat-trick.

Moment to forget:
Too many to list but most disappointing was obviously Mason Greenwood. On-field, really deflated by the CL knockout by Atletico and failing to even trouble Liverpool in both matches.

Technology to clone Ronaldo please?

Overall:
Not much to add, really. Change of manager may bring about a change in how we play and less egos in the dressing room (I am hopeful that one in particular just ducks off even for a token sum, don't care how much money we'd lose compared to how much we paid) but I am nowhere near as optimistic compared to the start of the season just passed. Ronaldo will surely be getting too old for this s**t (and I don't blame him if he leaves for CL football), hopefully some players step up, there's enough talent there for sure. I remain pessimistic until 2023.

Rating - F+

Remove this Banner Ad

Back