Food/Supplements Your Core

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 12, 2008
Rehab
AFL Club
Essendon
I was thinking about this today when researching a different way of eating (not for my own use), and I was comparing that to my own life. If you asked me what my main requirements, or the core of my diet and exercise, it would be different to how it is now.

I consider the change as personal growth as a person, an some of that is a direct result of people here. When you get older, you learn more, which is natural. I'm not technically old, although I feel it at times (dont ask me my age, or anything personal ;) ), but you do learn as you get older. This is the point.

What is the core of your diet or fitness life? What foods are a staple for you? What have you had to cut out that you find the most difficult? What is your fallback exercise/weight training that seems to never leave you?

I've given up some things that I love like pasta, bread and pizza. This has been tough. My macronutrients was at one time unbalanced due to these foods. I've now cut them out completely.

My core foods would be;

Rice
Tomato
Beetroot
Sweet potato
Chicken

Although this isn't a food per se, I couldn't live without chilli, ginger, parsley, basil and garlic.

Staple foods I can't live without:

Chicken breast
Lean steak
Lean pork
Eggs
Tuna (with chilli)
Onions
Mushrooms
Garlic
Soy sauce

Also eat a shiteload of veg and a few pieces of fruit every day, but that's more out of a sense of duty than any particular enjoyment.

Never been a fan of pasta, so following a diet that doesn't recommend it is perfect for me. Don't have a sweet tooth either so I don't get any cravings for that sort of stuff, my main temptation is the usual fast food places - especially the chicken joints.

This year has been a big adjustment for me.. where I used to think even eating subway was alright I have cut it out.

I miss bread.. used to love having toast for breakfast, now it's an egg white omelette with veggies.

Sandwich at lunch.. is now chicken + coleslaw mix

Dinner.. could have been anything. Now typically 40g of protein (steak, chicken, turkey) or maybe fish and a lot of frozen veggie bags (cause I hate cooking.)

Staples of the diet?
Egg whites
Capscicums
Mushrooms
Tomatos
Coleslaw mixes
Lots of chicken
Tuna cans
Frozen veg
Meat

And all the various protein supplements

I also miss alot of booze, and still drink a bit but no where near as much. Also don't touch coke or any other soft drinks anymore.

I am very similar chaos, biggest change for me was cutting out bread it was my staple a couple of slices at breeky or wheat-bix and then another 4 slices at lunch every day.

Now I have salad and tuna/turkey, break fast will be eggs occasionally bacon. When I am not in an overly fussy or motivated mood with my diet, I will indulge a little with some toast and peanut butter for breakfast or subway/sushi for lunch. Dinner is meat vegg and some sweet potato.

Staples;
Chicken, beef, turkey, mince
Salmon, tuna
Rocket salad
Tomatoes
Cucumber
Carrot
Capsicum
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Sweet potato
Bananas
Strawberries/Blueberries

As for staple exercises, every routine I do is built around the usual big compounds:

Deads
Squat
Bench
Shoulder Press
Chins
Dips
Rows

Couldn't imagine a routine that didn't involve all of the above, I'd feel like I was cheating myself.

As for staple exercises, every routine I do is built around the usual big compounds:

Deads
Squat
Bench
Shoulder Press
Chins
Dips
Rows

Couldn't imagine a routine that didn't involve all of the above, I'd feel like I was cheating myself.

Agreed!

Dried Cranberries.

I'm addicted. Don't judge me.

First time poster on this board, all the footy discussion's getting a bit repetitive ATM.

Food:

Oats
Raspberries
Lean beef & chicken
Tuna
Pak choy
Kidney & butter beans
Brown rice
Bananas
Apples
Chia

Exercise:

Anything that works the core
Squats
Deads
Chins
Dips
Bench
Power cleans

Sh*tloads of stretches

I have found planking and swiss ball exercises effective. I'm on to pilates at the moment.

Oh wait...

That is what i thought too...

Yoga (kundalini and hatha)
bike riding
swimming
interval training

food - hmmm
eggs
coffee
butter
veggies
fish
meat
fruit
nuts
coconut oil
frozen berries
coconut yogurt

That is what i thought too...

I read the OP. Just being a prick. :D

But seriously:

6km run
pilates
bench press
dumbbell press
pull ups
pull downs
various rows
shoulder press
looking forward to adding the pool again in the summer

Weet Bix
eggs
chicken
red meat
carrot
celery
beans
broccoli
cauliflower
apples
berries
coffee

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Okay. If you're a regular pool user and dont want to know, I wouldnt read this.

Have you ever noticed how you seem to get a runny nose when you go for a swim? Mucus leaks from your nose and you try and discreetly wipe it away. The body does this for a reason. A foreign matter is trying to intrude into your body, so it blocks it with mucous. When you're in water your body is under pressure, and the water is trying to force its way into you, but the mucus fights it. This is why you get a runny nose.

Sounds innocent enough. Well, every single orifice in your body reacts the same way. That's right, if there is a hole in your body and you're in water, it leaks. Nice.

Now to public pools. Every pool has a skimmer box, which is the cut out section generally at the end of the pool. The water flows to there and that water is sent to a filtration system, and the filtered water returned. The skimmer box is aptly named. It skims the muck that it sitting on the top few inches of the water. Now, remember earlier when I talked about how your body reacts when it's in water? Well that floats to the surface. Essentially the top few inches of a public pool, or any pool, is made up of body fluids and waste.

The chemicals are never balance right in a public pool, but that's another story. Don't be surprised when a pool lifeguard sues their employer for not providing a safe working environment. Also, if you're disgusted by what happens in a public pool, times that by 10 and you have your local spa.

I hope that you've all eaten :D

Have you ever noticed how you seem to get a runny nose when you go for a swim? Mucus leaks from your nose and you try and discreetly wipe it away. The body does this for a reason. A foreign matter is trying to intrude into your body, so it blocks it with mucous. When you're in water your body is under pressure, and the water is trying to force its way into you, but the mucus fights it. This is why you get a runny nose.

Sounds innocent enough. Well, every single orifice in your body reacts the same way. That's right, if there is a hole in your body and you're in water, it leaks. Nice.

Now to public pools. Every pool has a skimmer box, which is the cut out section generally at the end of the pool. The water flows to there and that water is sent to a filtration system, and the filtered water returned. The skimmer box is aptly named. It skims the muck that it sitting on the top few inches of the water. Now, remember earlier when I talked about how your body reacts when it's in water? Well that floats to the surface. Essentially the top few inches of a public pool, or any pool, is made up of body fluids and waste.

The chemicals are never balance right in a public pool, but that's another story. Don't be surprised when a pool lifeguard sues their employer for not providing a safe working environment. Also, if you're disgusted by what happens in a public pool, times that by 10 and you have your local spa.

Doesn't turn me off that much to be honest. I mean, at the gym I'm already handing weights, bars etc that have been used by people less hygienic than myself. As for "top few inches...is made up of body fluid and waste", that doesn't quite sound right. That is an enormous volume of waste so surely you could see it or feel it? I appreciate the explanation but dispute this one point.

Thanks for that. Looks like I'll be going for a run rather than a swim tomorrow morning.

I'm a bit of a clean freak, so it disgusts me. Add to that the chemicals and I'm out. Their are better alternatives than salt or chlorine filtration, but change is slow. A few law suits will speed it up.

UseYourIllusion, I'm not saying that the entire top few inches are made up solely of this, but that is where it goes and that's how a pool filtration system works. Also, you can wash your hands after the gym and not drink the liquid from another persons junk. It's not 100% clean, but it's better than a public pool.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back