Prediction Your Draft Selections

Remove this Banner Ad

I suppose it depends on whether you see Hayes or CCJ as rucks who can go forward a bit (e.g. like Lycett Ryder Kreuzer etc) or KPFs who can pinch hit 2nd ruck like Wright and Daniher. If the former then we probably have enough rucks but if the latter then we should seriously consider picking Hayes/CCJ.
Agreed, but they mainly look like Rucks that can play forward a bit. You will get better Forward mobility and goals out of Allen, Wooller, Dixon types.

Cal Twomey has us taking Sam Taylor and Brent Daniels with our first 2 selections.
http://m.afl.com.au/news/2017-11-22/callum-twomeys-2017-phantom-draft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24 is too early for Daniels especially when there will be decent small forwards later. If the draft unfolded that way i would either take kelly at 24 (unless we go tall for hayes) or ling at 22 and taylor at 24 (NM won't go tall at 23).

TBH it's an average phantom fogarty doesnt suit north's needs the last thing WB need is a key defender and WCE have more fwd/rucks than most clubs CCJ to them is crazy. I like Cal's writings but not his PD's.

Agreed, but they mainly look like Rucks that can play forward a bit. You will get better Forward mobility and goals out of Allen, Wooller, Dixon types.

Hmm. Wright to me is a good example of what Hayes might turn out like which is exactly what we need. But we will see. Looking more likely we will at least have the option to pick Hayes which we wouldn't have had 6 months ago.

24 is too early for Daniels especially when there will be decent small forwards later. If the draft unfolded that way i would either take kelly at 24 (unless we go tall for hayes) or ling at 22 and taylor at 24 (NM won't go tall at 23).

TBH it's an average phantom fogarty doesnt suit north's needs the last thing WB need is a key defender and WCE have more fwd/rucks than most clubs CCJ to them is crazy. I like Cal's writings but not his PD's.

Can’t see Murphy getting past Swans pick. I agree re Fogarty, North taking a risk here with Fogarty when Cerra is on the board.

I wouldn’t cry if we took Daniels at 24 but golly Constable would be tempting...

Daniels before Hayes... a bit smelly me thinks

I don’t really know enough about any of the potential draftees to comment too much.

Generally speaking I hope we select the best available KPF with pick 22 and the best available outside midfielder with pick 24. I don’t think KPD is a huge need given what we already have and the fact that I’d like to see us play with a smaller, more dynamic back 6 in 2018.

Who would you suggest based on the above?

Can’t see Murphy getting past Swans pick. I agree re Fogarty, North taking a risk here with Fogarty when Cerra is on the board.

I wouldn’t cry if we took Daniels at 24 but golly Constable would be tempting...

Constable's probably the best player on talent left there (unless the club really rates Hayes)but he is a poor postional fit for us (inside mid) so its a matter of if you go best available and move other players around to fit him in or you go best positional fit.

A few sources seem to be suggesting Geelong are keen on Kelly i expect it will come down to how well he and his partner interviewed with us and to what degree we consider them a flight risk, he is a very good fit for our needs.

At least in that phantom Constable Hayes Miers Spargo McCartin Naish Ballenden Shipley Garner Balta Clavarino Worpel Houlahan Wooller Floyd Ross Starcevich are all still available so there's some decent talent there.

I don’t really know enough about any of the potential draftees to comment too much.

Generally speaking I hope we select the best available KPF with pick 22 and the best available outside midfielder with pick 24. I don’t think KPD is a huge need given what we already have and the fact that I’d like to see us play with a smaller, more dynamic back 6 in 2018.

Who would you suggest based on the above?

O'Briens the best outside mid that i realistically want but in that phantom he is gone so either kelly or ling.

Best kpf at 22/24 there would be a bid on Ballenden (Brisbane will probably match though) Hayes or McCartin more of an outside chance.

Daniels before Hayes... a bit smelly me thinks

I like Daniels and i think he will make it but it looks like 3/4 decent small forwards will probably get through to 35/58 whereas the good KPFs and outside mids are less likely to so that's where i'd like us to go in the 20s.

O'Briens the best outside mid that i realistically want but in that phantom he is gone so either kelly or ling.

Best kpf at 22/24 there would be a bid on Ballenden (Brisbane will probably match though) Hayes or McCartin more of an outside chance.

I’ll keep an eye on those names Friday night. Really looking forward to it.

Thinking about it a little more, I’d be happy to take the 2 best available forwards with our first 2 picks (regardless of size).

Anyone know much about Lachlan Smith from the Goulburn Valley League? I think his club Kyabram have won the past two flags, plus I think they were undefeated in both seasons? Smith kicked over two goals per game, and based on YouTube footage back in 2012 he looks like a leadup forward that can mark around 190cm, similar to a McCartin or Allen. Although I think Smith was playing down back according to one article this year, so was he playing likes Mackie role that sneaks forward on occasion from the HBF?!?

Hmm. Wright to me is a good example of what Hayes might turn out like which is exactly what we need. But we will see. Looking more likely we will at least have the option to pick Hayes which we wouldn't have had 6 months ago.
Wright had the body Hayes doesn't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Listen to On the Clock ... BA is confident that Murphy will be taken if he is there. Collingwood are a little squeezed. Id say they didn't anticipate having P6 and have put a fair bit of work into him... and now they are strongly linked to Richards. There seems to be a lot of peripheral judgment criteria this year.. perhaps its a sign of such an even draft. Richard at Collingwood ..even as an early pick probably will sit well with the members .. Richards at Carlton etc and then who ever they take at 6 flops... thats the definition of downside.
If Melb had a pick in the top 10..im sure they would be all over Brayshaw .. whether that flows onto us with wooller ..who knows.

Different types thats true... although id have thought slightly different players as well. Either way... Hayes is a Laybuy and if drafted will give little for a fair while. Maybe the odd game here or there but as you say body , but also fitness will take time.

Its like Melb picking Gawn and they got nothing for years. Hayes next year could easily be as late as what Gawn went.

The way Id assess it .. when I( the club recruiter) assesses him..if I rate his potential talent , attitude and most importantly his resilience I'd be willing to invest in the future for him. In such an even draft .. to be able to look back and say you had a win from a pick in the 20's this year will be quite a tick. It would be easy this year to draft GHS types imo. Good solid players but they potentially may struggle to push in against more talented players unless they have a talent that separates them. Brayshaw as possible #1 pick..? Again..I wonder where he would go next year.

Its one reason Im looking at speed and robustness ..and height is another asset like that. And the same logic could be used for grabbing Taylor etc. I guess. If we take Murphy I hope he really he is potentially a high level player.. another good solid ute is not what we need imo. They probably see him coming to hand quicker whereas Id be prepared to wait. Parfitt is unusual ..how long did Mackie and Enright etc take.

I doubt we draft Hayes... I have not seen anyone link us to him. I think the club see more value in the Ruck kids that get missed.. just slightly below Hayes level perhaps at u18's... butt then develop at the lower level and then bring them in when closer to ready. So eg. someone like DeKoning gets missed , plays another 2-4 years and gets drafted at 22/23 etc. Sydney seem to be willing to do this ..they took Cameron last year after him being over looked for multiple years.

True but if you exclude the bigger frame Wright had they are very similar re marking the ball at highest point massive reach great skills by foot and hand for big guys and decent ruckwork.

If we think we can put 10kg on Hayes without losing his athleticism and we can get his endurance to AFL standard we should pick him, getting decent kpfs in the 20s is very hard.

Listen to On the Clock ... BA is confident that Murphy will be taken if he is there. Collingwood are a little squeezed. Id say they didn't anticipate having P6 and have put a fair bit of work into him... and now they are strongly linked to Richards. There seems to be a lot of peripheral judgment criteria this year.. perhaps its a sign of such an even draft. Richard at Collingwood ..even as an early pick probably will sit well with the members .. Richards at Carlton etc and then who ever they take at 6 flops... thats the definition of downside.
If Melb had a pick in the top 10..im sure they would be all over Brayshaw .. whether that flows onto us with wooller ..who knows.

Did he mean Murphy taken by us? Murphy strikes me as a Swans/WB type player i doubt we get a look at him.

I was staggered Coll didnt trade 6 and maybe a later pick for Schache and 12/15 that way they could have had a tall and picked Richards in the teens, now they either have to reach for him or a famous name goes elsewhere.

I wonder if North take Brayshaw at 4 given the family connection. If i was Bris i would take Brayshaw at 1 and then his brother in the 40s/50s.

Different types thats true... although id have thought slightly different players as well. Either way... Hayes is a Laybuy and if drafted will give little for a fair while. Maybe the odd game here or there but as you say body , but also fitness will take time.

Its like Melb picking Gawn and they got nothing for years. Hayes next year could easily be as late as what Gawn went.

The way Id assess it .. when I( the club recruiter) assesses him..if I rate his potential talent , attitude and most importantly his resilience I'd be willing to invest in the future for him. In such an even draft .. to be able to look back and say you had a win from a pick in the 20's this year will be quite a tick. It would be easy this year to draft GHS types imo. Good solid players but they potentially may struggle to push in against more talented players unless they have a talent that separates them. Brayshaw as possible #1 pick..? Again..I wonder where he would go next year.

Its one reason Im looking at speed and robustness ..and height is another asset like that. And the same logic could be used for grabbing Taylor etc. I guess. If we take Murphy I hope he really he is potentially a high level player.. another good solid ute is not what we need imo. They probably see him coming to hand quicker whereas Id be prepared to wait. Parfitt is unusual ..how long did Mackie and Enright etc take.

I doubt we draft Hayes... I have not seen anyone link us to him. I think the club see more value in the Ruck kids that get missed.. just slightly below Hayes level perhaps at u18's... butt then develop at the lower level and then bring them in when closer to ready. So eg. someone like DeKoning gets missed , plays another 2-4 years and gets drafted at 22/23 etc. Sydney seem to be willing to do this ..they took Cameron last year after him being over looked for multiple years.

Great post. I think we would be keener on Brander and Hayes as he has trained with our vfl team and we would know him better. But i would expect we would consider Hayes if available.

I like Daniels and i think he will make it but it looks like 3/4 decent small forwards will probably get through to 35/58 whereas the good KPFs and outside mids are less likely to so that's where i'd like us to go in the 20s.

Daniels looks special and I wouldn't mind if we took him with one of our first picks. I don't put much stock into 'reaching' - if Wells thinks he's the best available at pick 22 then no point waiting until 35 and risk missing out.

I agree it seems too early for him, but I put 100% faith in Wells as I did last year when he took Parfitt, which at the time I thought was early, but now rate that call.

Regardless, I still think we'll go tall early.

Did he mean Murphy taken by us? Murphy strikes me as a Swans/WB type player i doubt we get a look at him.

I was staggered Coll didnt trade 6 and maybe a later pick for Schache and 12/15 that way they could have had a tall and picked Richards in the teens, now they either have to reach for him or a famous name goes elsewhere.

I wonder if North take Brayshaw at 4 given the family connection. If i was Bris i would take Brayshaw at 1 and then his brother in the 40s/50s.

He said we have put a fair bit of time into him.... but unless its a late whisper ..id not get over locked in. I think Emma Q had a way of getting info out of someone at Geelong... , her info always seemed better than average .. but apart from that i take it under advisement.
But Id say he is a Wells type... is he a forward or a back or a mid..traditionally Wells loves this type as it gives multiple avenues for best 22 entry. Funny really when you think of the success of guys like Corey and Bartel ..but id say that due to the difference extreme assess to early talent (ie single figures).

Brayshaw at 1 is a chance , and yes he has a brother up there.Take the other one late and he really stays for a long time.
Brayshaw the package would be perfect for us.. Brayshaw they player.. sort of Guthrie ..not sure id want him having the #1 tag hanging on his head. Give it to the kid with the most talent for mine or at least a bit more than Braysaw. Dow or Rainer. Was Selwood the #1 pick in 06.. its funny even when you know he ends up being the player he is , I doubt he gets picked #1. His type is just not rare enough...its just that he is about the best of his type there has ever been.

imo Collingwood should have done a deal with Richmond or Adelaide to get another pick. Its just so complicated due to Buckley and success etc. They have a been a little unlucky with their single figure picks , amazing how it can define an era. I guess thats another tick for Brayshaw. He is for Brisbane such a high percentage pick. I doubt he fails.

Daniels looks special and I wouldn't mind if we took him with one of our first picks. I don't put much stock into 'reaching' - if Wells thinks he's the best available at pick 22 then no point waiting until 35 and risk missing out.

I agree it seems too early for him, but I put 100% faith in Wells as I did last year when he took Parfitt, which at the time I thought was early, but now rate that call.

Regardless, I still think we'll go tall early.

I really like Daniels too but no one else has been linked to him early and players that height tend to slide. My comments were purely tactical in that it's sounding like at least one of Daniels/Miers/Sambono/Moore etc will be there at 35 and maybe 58 so we are probably better off to pick a tall and a quality quick mid (like kelly fogarty obrien etc) in the 20s and grab smalls later.

But you are right Wells often is left field with his choices and often gets it right so i could be completely wrong.

I've been told That it's either the Swans or Geelong for Murphy.

My final prediction on what I think Wells will do:

22: Ballard
24: McCartin
35: Petty
58: Patmore
72: Smith

What I want in a dream scenario ( I know it's unlikely, but you never know on draft day):

22: Higgins / O'Brien
24: Kelly
35: Sam Taylor
58: McCartin
72: Sambono

Remove this Banner Ad

Back