Prediction Your Draft Selections

Remove this Banner Ad

My final prediction on what I think Wells will do:

22: Ballard
24: McCartin
35: Petty
58: Patmore
72: Smith

What I want in a dream scenario ( I know it's unlikely, but you never know on draft day):

22: Higgins / O'Brien
24: Kelly
35: Sam Taylor
58: McCartin
72: Sambono
Probably 2 of those I would be happy with but as always, there are sliders & 'outsiders'.

I have to say this year is unusually difficult ... and this is more half grass half weed guesstimate than knowledge ...

P22 Charlie Constable ... I notice CalT has said we will take Stephenson if he slips thru ..thats very Wells with no heart issue he is a top 5 pick. Constable is all footballer..and need to polish up his running but he is the type we built our flags years on.. In the recent TAC GF , he played when less than 100% and nearly won the GF for the Dragons. We looked at Hopper , CC would be a solid building foundation for the next group. It would signal the end for GHS and CC would struggle for game time short term ..but going back to 2006 we picked Selwood when we had a chockers mid group. He just made himself an auto pick. We have been linked to Ryan .. cant say id be enamourd with that..its not about talent... just a bit too early for mine for his type. Sort of totally different to adding speed which is what Id prefer but he is a kid who will get the hard ball and knows what to do in heavy traffic like Bartel did. I think Murphy will be gone but if he isn't Id say we would have to pick him.

P24 Tom McCartin ... Without a doubt this would have some on this board doing a "Raider of the Lost Ark" Facemelt.. .. but he is so young .. TomMc basically is bottom aged. He spends a year in our VFL while doing school ..perhaps only playing half the games and comes out in year 2 and is ready to go ..we would be very happy. Sam Taylor would have to be looked at ..North have apparently been linked to McCartin at 23 so maybe he is gone ..but really ..another tall for North. Personally go for Spargo North ..its a North name etc. Id certainly be tempted to look at Hayes.. not so long ago.he was considered top 5 pick. A bit early for Wooller. Do we look at Balta , if CC is not quick but is a footballer..Balta is the opposite. Has played more as ruck than a KPP so he screams hidden talent but very under developed. If we drafted him as a forward he would be a 3rd roll of the dice.. and not really one for 3rd time lucky. More like bad things happen in 3's. McCartin needs work on his kicking but he works so hard up and down the ground...and we like guys like that...even if his disposal needs to be polished. Bonus of course is it never hurts to have a brother in house if we want to recruit the other.

P35 Kane Farrell ... Wells drafts a few different ways and he does like his numbers.. 2nd best 20M sprint with 2.90 , best with agility with 8.10 and 2nd best a running jump of 95cm.. he has the number to gather attention.. yet he seems to be less mentioned than some other which appeal to me less. Small defender but at 183cm is not as short as some players in this draft. Houlihan would be considered and if we miss McCartin , Wooller has to come into play. I think we could find a defender later but if Petty or Taylor slip then we would have to consider them.

P58 Gordon Narrier... this pick will be egg on face more than likely , but he replaces Motlop with a similar style and probably similar speed. At 187cm he is a nice height for that speed and has nice soft touch relaxed left foot kicking action. Just like Motlop , he is not what you would call a pressure forward but he can create. There are a heap of players that we may look at..just depends how it falls..and I have little confidence Im right at 22 let alone 58. If Miers has not been taken we would have to look at him Floyd another Falcon. We have shown we like form in the wafl so would we look at Haiden Schloithe. Unlike last year I do not see too many choices in our VFL .. I do like Andrew McPherson if he is gone by then ..or maybe a late pick defender like Harry Nolan.

P71 Lachlan Smith ... been linked to this X Collingwood Rookie so may as well put his name down..but really its pin the tail on a never ending supply of donkeys. Could be anyone here. and if we feel we lack a KPD maybe he goes ape droppings and calls out some name no body has talked about.

Last edited:
Matt Balmer in his final draft has us taking Liam Ryan. I find that difficult to believe.

With so much rumour now floating it’s impossible to predict what Wells may do.

I’m realistically hoping for something like this:

22 - S.Taylor
24 - C.Constable
35 - B.Daniels or J.Houlahan
58 - T.Wooler

I’m expecting:

22 - T.McCartin
24 - J.Houlahan
35 - T.Wooler
58 - L.Smith

I feel like there are enough drums beating that we are looking at Taylor for our first or second pick.

Outside of that I really don't know. I still believe in

22. Z Bailey
24. S Taylor
35. T Wooller

As the first three. Needs Bailey to slide through, could also see us going with Murphy, O'Brien or Ling at 22/24.

Oh and here's my ultra spicy Wells is just trolling us now prediction -

4 ND Picks, Parsons elevated, two rookies

M Hayball
J Guthrie

Matt Balmer in his final draft has us taking Liam Ryan. I find that difficult to believe.

With so much rumour now floating it’s impossible to predict what Wells may do.

I’m realistically hoping for something like this:

22 - S.Taylor
24 - C.Constable
35 - B.Daniels or J.Houlahan
58 - T.Wooler

I’m expecting:

22 - T.McCartin
24 - J.Houlahan
35 - T.Wooler
58 - L.Smith

I'd much prefer the first haul, I really hope we don't go to tall we need more runners and goal kickers there's a big batch of players that will be available at our picks that I like but I still expect we'll end up with none of them.

I feel like there are enough drums beating that we are looking at Taylor for our first or second pick.

Outside of that I really don't know. I still believe in

22. Z Bailey
24. S Taylor
35. T Wooller

As the first three. Needs Bailey to slide through, could also see us going with Murphy, O'Brien or Ling at 22/24.
I like Bailey hope we end up with at least one of Bailey or Kelly, I read somewhere this morning that Wooller could play round 1 as a 2nd/3rd tall forward if that's true makes me like him even more and hopefully means we don't list Crameri. Every phantom draft seems to have us taking Taylor so either there's something there or everyone is listening to their echo chamber.

I've been told That it's either the Swans or Geelong for Murphy.

I can see us being interested but i reckon the dogs will take him at 16 (unless maybe stephenson is there).

I can see us being interested but i reckon the dogs will take him at 16 (unless maybe stephenson is there).

Swans or Dogs before we get a look in I think. Hopefully from my point of view it’s the Swans as I doubt they’ll go for Houlahan with pick 30 after taking him. He’d be a nice pick up at 35 for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are we going to have a separate thread for the draft tonight?
Yes... there will pick/player threads and a game day style live thread as well..

Opening shortly

Go Catters

I have a feeling we will pick up Worpel with pick 22.
No substance to it other than a feeling.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back