Remove this Banner Ad

giggler99

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
Has been a bit quite around here lately so I have decide to start a thread so we can share our favorite football Australia moments. Could be anything from our Australian national teams Socceroos, Matildas, Olyroos etc.. to the A-League and the old NSL. Goals, matches, controversial decisions whatever share your favorite moments.

for me on a national scale I can't go past Harry Kewell's goal against Croatia at the 2006 World Cup! just the sheer importance of the moment and ecstasy felt straight after the goal and the match knowing it put us through to the second round. I can remember just jumping for joy being so proud wearing my Socceroos Jersey and scarf to work that day!

On a Domestic League scale the 2015 Grand Final was one of the most unique sporting experiences I have had the pleasure to attend and not just due to the result. Close to 30K fans packed in a boutique stadium all hardcore fans and members. The roar of the crowd when Berisha scored that first goal let me tell ya it felt more like I was at the G' with close to 100K screaming and cheering fans! The whole day was just special. The walk to the ground, the atmosphere created by both sets of fans Victory and the visiting SydneyFC and of course the result :). Which just made it one of the most sweaters satisfying days I have experience at a sporting event.

It was probably the A-league at its most highest status in its 15 year history showing what it can be when it all clicks.

So if you have a moment please post and share..

Thankyou!

Last edited:

Zidane98

Hall of Famer
Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Socceroos, LFC, MVFC, RC Strasbourg
Great thread. I'm a bit of a aficionado on all things Australian football.

Teams supported:

Gippsland Falcons
Melbourne Victory
Sccceroos

Best moments:

Being at Aus vs Uruguay in 2005
Aus 3 Japan 1
MVFC 6 Adelaide 0 (lol)
Gippsland Falcons making the NSL finals
Experienced Aus vs Iran, Aus vs Uruguay heartbreak in 97/01, was also at Aus vs Argentina in 93 as a little kid.

Minidisc MD

Cancelled
Nov 29, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
honestly, going to games in the sunny afternoons with whoever my best friends were at that time. having a few beers, hoping to get a few kisses later that night. that's what football in Australia means to me – when I don't let its headaches get to me.

Lebbo73

Q Sent Me
Oct 20, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Has been a bit quite around here lately so I have decide to start a thread so we can share our favorite football Australia moments. Could be anything from our Australian national teams Socceroos, Matildas, Olyroos etc.. to the A-League and the old NSL. Goals, matches, controversial decisions whatever share your favorite moments.

for me on a national scale I can't go past Harry Kewell's goal against Croatia at the 2006 World Cup! just the sheer importance of the moment and ecstasy felt straight after the goal and the match knowing it put us through to the second round. I can remember just jumping for joy being so proud wearing my Socceroos Jersey and scarf to work that day!

On a Domestic League scale the 2015 Grand Final was one of the most unique sporting experiences I have had the pleasure to attend and not just due to the result. Close to 30K fans packed in a boutique stadium all hardcore fans and members. The roar of the crowd when Berisha scored that first goal let me tell ya it felt more like I was at the G' with close to 100K screaming and cheering fans! The whole day was just special. The walk to the ground, the atmosphere created by both sets of fans Victory and the visiting SydneyFC and of course the result :). Which just made it one of the most sweaters satisfying days I have experience at a sporting event.

It was probably the A-league at its most highest status in its 15 year history showing what it can be when it all clicks.

So if you have a moment please post and share..

Thankyou!

Do you remember the end of that final group game against Croatia when Harry scored again in stoppage time (I think it was raining as well at the end) only for the ref to blow the whistle for full time? I was going off my handle even though a draw was enough to go through to the knockout stage. 😂

giggler99

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
Do you remember the end of that final group game against Croatia when Harry scored again in stoppage time (I think it was raining as well at the end) only for the ref to blow the whistle for full time? I was going off my handle even though a draw was enough to go through to the knockout stage. 😂
Yeah It was Aloisi that scored but Graham Poll strangely blew the whistle right as Alosi took the shot so he did not allow it denying us a second World Cup win! That was one bizzare match. the Kalic blunder, the three yellow cards to Simunic, the Croatian Coach going off on the sideline, that ending. Just Brilliant!!

I read somewhere had we lost the match Australia would have had the right to appeal for a match replay due to the incorrect three yellow cards before Simunic was sent off! Luckily it didn't come to that.

Last edited:

Minz

Team Captain
Sep 30, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Montreal Canadiens
Yeah It was Alosi that scored but Graham Poll strangely blew the whistle right as Alosi took the shot so he did not allow it denying us a second World Cup win! That was one bizzare match. the Kalic blunder, the three yellow cards to Simunic, the Croatian Coach going off on the sideline, that ending. Just Brilliant!!

I read somewhere had we lost the match Australia would have had the right to appeal for a match replay due to the incorrect three yellow cards before Simunic was sent off! Luckily it didn't come to that.
Watching the replay on SBS, that list of bizarre moments from this match misses a blatant deliberate fist on ball in the penalty zone by a Croatian defender who’d already incorrectly not been carded for a previous handball (that was awarded a penalty), and Emerton being getting a second yellow card for an accidental handball well away from the penalty area. Graeme Poll lost his mind that game (and his international refereeing career).

nobbyiscool

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 11, 2006
Democratic People's Republic of Victoria
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Raiders/TasTigers/MV/Iggles
One of the games that always comes to mind, despite the fact we didn't win it, was at the 2016 Olympics.

It's only 4 years later, but with stars like Sam Kerr and with good performances at international level, I think people take for granted that the Matildas are now mainstream. I think our women's cricket team have probably gone past them in terms of profile, and I think the AFLW is going past them as well - but this was a watershed moment. If you were going to pinpoint one moment at which women's sport started to break through that mainstream glass ceiling, I think it'd be the game vs Brazil.

It didn't matter that it finished nil-all. It didn't matter that we lost. It was one of those moments in the middle of winter in the middle of a quiet Saturday, where I seem to remember that (in Melbourne at least) the weather was miserable and everyone was at home. We should've won - we, little old Australia, dominated ******* Brazil on their home turf, and I think a lot of casuals started to take the Matildas more seriously after that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Top Bottom