Votes: 65 92.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

May 9, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
So, which one is your favorite?

92 - We officially made it the AFL by taking the cup West
94 - We officially became an all time great team that people will remember with 2 premiership in 3 years
06 - Redemption for 05. GOAT midfield. And against Sydney in a run of close games that will probably never be repeated between two top teams
18 - Out of the blue premiership no one saw coming in one of the best GFs of all time.

I have to go with this year. Maybe there's recency bias, but this year was amazing. Each of the other premierships we were expected to win it or be there abouts. This year was just a joy ride.

So many speed bumps with injury and suspension. It didn't stop us.

No one though we could do it and the Vic hate was at an all time high. It didn't stop us.

Being 5 goals down away from home when (in a normal world sport) we should have been playing it at home. It didn't stop us.

Nothing stopped us!

Beating an MCG tenant in a year that was ahem, long predestined to see another Victorian club win coupled with our most challenging circumstances in terms of injury, from a huge deficit and producing, arguably, the greatest passage of play in a grand final to get the chocolates takes the cake for mine. If it were a movie script, most would consider it fanciful. Still numb.

Last edited:
Has to be this one man.

So much heart displayed all season, in the face of injuries to key players and a brain fart suspension.

Loved the others, 92 & 2006 was special but 2018 ...this one takes it for me.

For me i think this is our best GF win , the first was very good , but the previous three premiership teams for mine were more talented than this group. These guys had a ton of heart and desire to win this year with a lot of adversity thrown in for good measure.

This year for sure. '92 would be a close second. Remember that in '91 we were embarrassed like 2015 so going into the GF the following year it wasn't handed to us.

One of my first memories of the Eagles is watching the '92 GF on one of those huge faux wood sided TV's at a huge party in our suburban Perth street.

I was there on Saturday. I still cannot believe that we came back from 5 goals down in the first quarter to a huge Melbourne club. What a day. What a ride this season has been.

This one for sure. But honestly cant make too much an opionion as I was too young when we won in 92 and 94. I'm 32 and didn't get into footy until I was about 8. So can't really say much about them but I feel 2006 was great but the controversy around it with the trouble that came after dampens it a bit.

This one was just pure team spirit and felt like it caught everyone by surprise which is why it is so good.

For mine this premiership is the best.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Farout, their all different. Was too young at the time to appreciate 92 and 94, but spent many a Sunday morning watching the VHS of them growing up. Al from Home Improvement was on the 92 Coverage and I mean that's pretty big.

I loved '06, we witnessed the greatest ever centre square, if not midfield.
Cox - revolutionised the game for rucks.
Judd - touted as the GOAT before his groins
Kerr - an absolute bull
Cousins - greatest gut running mid ever
And being too young to appreciate the 90's flags, you can gather that this was my childhood team right here. BC being my fave player ever. Even the arm wrestle with the Swans for two years is epic. One well oiled machine V the bad boy Lamborghini

But 18 is out and out special

1992 was momentous and groundbreaking, but I think this one is easily more stunning. It was a build to that first flag going 3-2-1. This was snagging one in a tough, even comp. 2006 was more relief to not miss out 2 years in a row with a team that should have been pissing it in. 1994 was just a yeah, done it again, we're damn good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2018 of course because we did it against the odds on so many levels . I’m so grateful that I was able to be at the GF and was able to soak up every moment in the lead up /afterwards .

2006 has a very special place in my heart too because it was the first premiership I experienced a supporter and it made up for the devastation of 2005

I didn't think 06 could have been topped, but I'm happy to be wrong. This years flag killed it.

5 goals down against a Vic team. No Gaff. No Nat. No Shep. Dragged our way back into the game and sealed it with one of the most unforgettable goals in GF history. A flag nobody predicted, not even a WCE supporter would have expected it at the start of the year. Personally, I thought we would make finals but probably bomb out in week 1 or 2, just like last year.

This one. 2006 felt all so bad afterwards due to the hate and issues we had.

92 and 94 was too young but understand the meaning behind 92.

This one was the best. Family culture. So many issues over the last year in particular the injuries yet continued to win. Likeable coach. Awesome team

Last edited:
92 simply because of the historical significance but in terms of the one that was really special it has to be 2018. Written off all year, huge injury problems and to fly under the radar and beat an MCG tenant in a GF is nothing short of spectacular. That last goal and the sequence leading up to it will be remembered as one of the most memorable plays in GF history. Dom Sheed you are one cold as ice mother*er.

2018 no question. Reckon we hit rock bottom in the years after 2007 and have slowly clawed and fought our way back from the wilderness with a team written off all year long and given no chance at any stage by the media. They just would not give up this year and it has been so satisfying to watch and brought a tear to the eyes

This one for me too. Last year we were old, slow, had no kids coming through or any decent draft picks to change that any time soon.

A couple of retirements, a bit more pace, a shrewd bit of trading, another year of experience. Suddenly the list wasn't so bad at least.

Then this year just had everything. A massive winning streak in the first half of the season. Wins in Melbourne. A win against the Pies on the MCG for the first time in a thousand years that somehow afterwards felt like a funeral. Important players getting injured, important players coming back - it seemed like a revolving door at times with many thinking we were already at breaking strain for a lot of that time. That ******* ridiculous after the siren win against Port - again. Jetta drifting forward late in a do or die game and kicking a goal to light us up just like he did last year.

The GF kind of summed up the year in a way. It was far from a perfect game, in fact it was a mixture of the mind-bendingly awful and jaw-droppingly amazing, but the one constant is that the players we had available showed ******* balls of steel and never dropped their heads. Not when we were 3, 4 then 5 goals down to nothing at the start. Not when we caught up and Collingwood kicked away again. Not when we were missing easy shot after easy shot in the last. Not when there were barely 3 minutes left and Treloar sent Collingwood forward for a play that could have finished us off once and for all.

I was a bit too young to really enjoy the early 90s so I can't fondly remember that era, and I don't like rewatching the 2006 GF. Partly because all the good stuff happens quickly and then it just becomes a two hour deathride. Partly because it hurts seeing the stars we had then and being reminded what was to come barely a year later. This one though... maybe the team doesn't have the raw star power we had in other eras but there is consistency across every line from full back to full forward. I love watching our style and I'm so happy that this bunch of guys got to experience the ultimate. I love them all. Balls of steel.

So let's declare which ones we've each experienced?

1992 - I was 13. I wasn't interested in sport until I hit high school (probably because my dad tried to force me into cricket by buying cricket gear every Christmas when all I wanted was toys). The Eagles were massive but didn't grab me until I watched the 1991 Grand Final. Going in, didn't really care, but when they lost for some reason I was gutted. My heart was in it for this team representing me. 1992 I was completely absorbed with AFL and just wanted them to finish as high as possible. That they won was absolutely amazing and cherished.

1994 - Mid teens and just enjoying my club back up it's first flag by securing a second. More nervous pre-game than in 1992, just didn't want them to lose. They kept blowing chances and I was worried but they opened it up in the 3rd and never looked back. Party time.

2006 - Now a married man, I was shattered by the 2005 loss. Was hard to take but going into the 2006 GF I was convinced they'd make up for it. They got out to a lead, were close to putting the game away, but Sydney came at them. I remember anxiously wanting half time to be over and to just step on their throat and not let them back into it. But of course, Sydney kept coming and it was the longest ******* last quarter I've ever experienced. Relief when the siren went more than anything. My heart was put back together and I could live normally again.

2018 - Now with kids, I have a lot more perspective. I don't get hung up when we lose. 2015 was just a bad day. Enjoyed everything this year, expecting we'd probably at best make a GF against Richmond and probably lose it. But then they lost to the Pies and all of a sudden some reality of how close it was sank in. The nerves hit pre-game for the prelim and had to spend the first 5-10 minutes in the dunny (bless you, free workphone AFL Live Pass) and obviously quickly changed to realisation we're in the GF again. Pretty much post-siren, the nerves hit for what was gonna be a long week. Saturday morning felt like it took up half of the week, waiting for the game to start. When the game is on, I'm good to go and just watch it and ride every moment. Kennedy's early shot had me pumped for a moment but we really didn't start well with too many errors. 5 goals down and I'm thinking we're in for it again. But the hope was there when we got on the board and it stayed and seemed like we were a chance until the first 40 seconds of the last when Collingwood went bang bang. But it's weird, that forlornness never really lasted as we got quick replies each time (even in the 2nd when DeGoey put them back out by 4 goals, the reply came). The misses felt like we were wasting it and they'd go down and get the sealer, but we repelled and then the final repel was McGovern>Vardy>Ryan>Sheed... a play that will forever be etched into this club's and the league's history. Almost ready to believe it was real but then Darling dropped it, with 20 seconds to go it started to sink it that it was happening. The most overwhelming feeling I've ever had watching this club. Unreal.

I've been blessed in supporting this club through all that success. I'm proud that my heart led me to them before that, when they had such heartbreak. I just love this team and will always love the club, even if it's a 50 year drought until the next one and I'm dead before they get it. But something tells me it'll happen again. Still, cherish every single one when they come, like it's the first and the last.

Back