Your Favorite Pub

Remove this Banner Ad

in Melbourne it has to be "The Nott" ....( Nottinghill hotel )

No pokies .... No bulls..t

Still has chooks running around in the beer garden .

One of the true last bastions .

Still owned/run/managed by her 85 year old owner Kath Byers who is still very much hands on , runs around chatting to patrons and picking up glasses ... one of Melbournes truelly great icons .

Anyone who has been to Monash Uni will surely attest to this.

... Best country pubs are the Maindample and the Merrijig ... if you want to reaaaaalllly step back in time :thumbsu:

Some loyalty please Brother !!

The Lookout in 2002/2003

Greastest summer ever.

Dammit dont remind me :(

Where those the days when it was one big venue without being cut off?

That place rocked!

Rumours are it will return..Sitting there doing nothing at the moment is a massive waste of space.

I keep hearing that Mount Lawley rocks...Anyone back this up?

London

The Nag's Head, Kinnerton Street
The Anchor, Bankside
The Porterhouse, Maiden Lane

Edinburgh

The Peartree House
The Haymarket (order food and you'll see why. Bangers & Mash includes 9 sausages, for example)
Cloisters

Australia

Little Creatures, Fremantle
Sail & Anchor, Fremantle
The Cott & OBH
The Kava Hut, Cairns (just 'cause it sold kava)

Elsewhere

Joe Kool's, Durban (the 4 hottest girls I've seen in my life were all there on the same night)
Guns N' Roses, Pham Ngu Lao Street, Saigon
The Source, 8th Floor of the Guinness Brewery, Dublin (had to be said)

The Quarry in East Brunswick is pretty good.

I've got an invite ;) to the Retreat on Sydney Rd next week... any opinions on it?

Retreat is a great pub. Big beer garden quality food amake it a great day sesh pub and and they get some interesting music makes it a good one to settle into for the night. In the public bar they had a great bluegrass band while in the back section had a DJ plating alternative retro type music that everyone likes tosing and danced to when they have had a few.

Would be my local if I lived near by.

My fav pubs though are all in my local area, Richmond. Terminus, Spread Eagle, Rising Sun and the Dover (though I haven't been back since it reopened a couple weeks ago after a reno). The Vine is a late night fav with a 5am license on account of the pokies, which are easily ignored in the state most people are in and battle to get your song on the jukebox

...Elsewhere

Joe Kool's, Durban (the 4 hottest girls I've seen in my life were all there on the same night)

:eek:
HCMC:

Enigma (was our local, funny how they had to close it down when we left!)
Cafe Latin
Underground
Vascos (on a Friday night)
Saigon Saigon in Caravelle Hotel
Blue Gecko (Aussie pub decked out in richmond paraphernalia run by Aussie Vietnamese guy)
Ice Blue
Allez Boo
Sahara

London

The Nag's Head, Kinnerton Street
The Anchor, Bankside
The Porterhouse, Maiden Lane

Edinburgh

The Peartree House
The Haymarket (order food and you'll see why. Bangers & Mash includes 9 sausages, for example)
Cloisters

Australia

Little Creatures, Fremantle
Sail & Anchor, Fremantle
The Cott & OBH
The Kava Hut, Cairns (just 'cause it sold kava)

Elsewhere

Joe Kools used to have HOT chicks every nite i was there,infact one of the best pubs i've visited
There are 3-4 REAL good pubs in SF.
As much as i'll get knocked for it there are a couple of good pubs in Rundle Mall.

:eek:
HCMC:

Enigma (was our local, funny how they had to close it down when we left!)
Cafe Latin
Underground
Vascos (on a Friday night)
Saigon Saigon in Caravelle Hotel
Blue Gecko (Aussie pub decked out in richmond paraphernalia run by Aussie Vietnamese guy)
Ice Blue
Allez Boo
Sahara

The Caravelle Hotel? You can get cheaper beer in London.
Yeah, I know GnR was a bit dark and feral, but it was our regular and it had free pool. That or QBar when we felt posh.

True re. Caravelle but nice setting. I guess 70,000 dong (A$6) for a beer is a bit steep when everywhere else it's 20-25,000 ish (A$2). QBar not bad but but only went in there a few times. You kind of got lost in all the little nooks and crannies.

I don't think there was a bar in HCMC where you don't get free pool and a young chickadeeboo to rack em up for you.

How long were you there for?

I was in Can Tho in the Mekong Delta for four months at the end of 2002, but I tended to get cabin fever if I stayed there too long, and tried to get up to Saigon as often as I could, usually every other weekend or so. How about you?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Grovedale in grovy is good along woth the BARWON CLUB in geelong is sweet as too:thumbsu: :D

in Melbourne it has to be "The Nott" ....( Nottinghill hotel )

No pokies .... No bulls..t

Still has chooks running around in the beer garden .

One of the true last bastions .

Still owned/run/managed by her 85 year old owner Kath Byers who is still very much hands on , runs around chatting to patrons and picking up glasses ... one of Melbournes truelly great icons .

Anyone who has been to Monash Uni will surely attest to this.

... Best country pubs are the Maindample and the Merrijig ... if you want to reaaaaalllly step back in time :thumbsu:

The Notting Hill - I think I've been there, some of it or all is blue stone and doesn't the public bar have an open fire place and there's heaps of footy stuff around the walls? You have to walk thru a beer garden area to go to the loo. A friend's father had his "wake" there - best wake i've ever been to. And i recall the little old lady publican looking after all and sundry. Lot of people used to drop in there to and fro games at Waverley. (for u youngins VFL Park)

The Flying Scotsman, Mount Lawley
Fibber McGees, Leederville
The Rosemount, North Perth (in summer out in the beer garden)

Was a big fan of the Hula Bula bar when it opened but haven't been there for ages.

The Notting Hill - I think I've been there, some of it or all is blue stone and doesn't the public bar have an open fire place and there's heaps of footy stuff around the walls? You have to walk thru a beer garden area to go to the loo. A friend's father had his "wake" there - best wake i've ever been to. And i recall the little old lady publican looking after all and sundry. Lot of people used to drop in there to and fro games at Waverley. (for u youngins VFL Park)
Thats the one Gabs :thumbsu:

Retreat is a great pub. Big beer garden quality food amake it a great day sesh pub and and they get some interesting music makes it a good one to settle into for the night. In the public bar they had a great bluegrass band while in the back section had a DJ plating alternative retro type music that everyone likes tosing and danced to when they have had a few.
:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu: best pub in melbourne imo. doesn't get the respect it deserves. good bands if you like RRR/PBS style i suppose and i could count on one hand the number of times there's been a cover charge at the door for the music. the kitchen menu has been much improved lately as well

The Tree 1770 Qld.- Tin shed no toilet(across the road at the park) slab of wood for a bar illegally built over the footpath.(unfortunately recently renovated:mad:)

The Hill Billy Social Club=Captain Creek Qld. Tin shed erected on a 4 acre block(in the middle of nowhere) paid for by the National Party to sure up a marginal electorate.Cheap beer, good food, locals only:thumbsu:

Bundaberg RSL Club.crap place, but cheap beers at the Long Tan bar and $16 Working Mans Special Mudcrab Lunch is hard to beat:thumbsu:

:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu: best pub in melbourne imo. doesn't get the respect it deserves. good bands if you like RRR/PBS style i suppose and i could count on one hand the number of times there's been a cover charge at the door for the music. the kitchen menu has been much improved lately as well

i wholeheartedly endorse this post:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

LOVE the retreat....women there arent always the greatest looking though. but always a great time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back