Your favourite all time player from....Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Dunstall.

If Dunstall had had a massive-ego, bleached blonde hair and strutted around in green fluro boots like another famous Hawk forward, he'd probably be regarded as the #1 FF of all time right now.

Why? Because it's largely those idiots in the media who shape public opinion on these matters and they never gave Dunstall the attention devoted to Ablett or Lockett simply because he was a nice bloke who went about his business of kicking goals without creating controversy unlike the others.

I was there the day Dunstall kicked 17 goals against Richmond and I've never seen such an incredible performance from a player since. More the point, it was no fluke. I watched him kick bags of 10 or more on many occasions.

He was the ultimate goalkicking machine, a consummate team player and remarkably unselfish, could chase & tackle far better than most forwards of his era who often wouldn't bother, never lost his temper and was almost never reported despite scragging being an accepted practice at the time, was as good in a one-on-one marking contest as any Hawk I've seen, superb kick for goal, lightning fast despite his size and freakishly strong....

I'm a huge Franklin fan too, but anyone who says he's surpassed Jason is just kidding themselves - he's not even in the same ballpark, nor is any AFL player I've seen since maybe James Hird.

Well said!! I have always rated Dunstall ahead of Lockett and Ablett due to him being a team player. Always chased, tackled and harassed which was largely unheard of with the other two. His record may well have been even greater if he was as selfish. But it would have made him a lesser player in my eyes. Great career by one of the greats.

When I was a young kid, used to love watching Knights and Mathews play.

P.S. also love the story of what Dunstall did to Hudson after one of the finals when Hudson squibbed it going for the ball. Summed Dunstall up and Hudson I think was gone soon after from the Hawks.

leigh matthews, he won so many games for us off his own boot!

then after he retired, it was Jason Dunstall, it was enjoyable to be able to watch Dunstalls whole career from 85-98, and watch him develop into one of the great all time players, not just full forwards.

At times he was too unselfish, if thats possible, 1254 goals kicked, and another couple of hundred given off to teammates in better positions.

Injuries in 97/98 ended his chance to reach the 1300 goal mark before Lockett did, deserved to get there before Lockett in my opinion.

Gary Buckenara - I'm a Subiaco supporter in the WAFL and Bucky was about the only Subi player to make it in the VFL back in the 1980s.

Dunstall.

If Dunstall had had a massive-ego, bleached blonde hair and strutted around in green fluro boots like another famous Hawk forward, he'd probably be regarded as the #1 FF of all time right now.

Why? Because it's largely those idiots in the media who shape public opinion on these matters and they never gave Dunstall the attention devoted to Ablett or Lockett simply because he was a nice bloke who went about his business of kicking goals without creating controversy unlike the others.

I was there the day Dunstall kicked 17 goals against Richmond and I've never seen such an incredible performance from a player since. More the point, it was no fluke. I watched him kick bags of 10 or more on many occasions.

He was the ultimate goalkicking machine, a consummate team player and remarkably unselfish, could chase & tackle far better than most forwards of his era who often wouldn't bother, never lost his temper and was almost never reported despite scragging being an accepted practice at the time, was as good in a one-on-one marking contest as any Hawk I've seen, superb kick for goal, lightning fast despite his size and freakishly strong....

I'm a huge Franklin fan too, but anyone who says he's surpassed Jason is just kidding themselves - he's not even in the same ballpark, nor is any AFL player I've seen since maybe James Hird.

Dunstall wouldn't be regarded as the best full forward of all time no matter what colour his hair or boots were because Tony Lockett was simply a better full forward than him.

I rate Dunstall highly but he had the benefit of playing in a very strong Hawthorn team for most of his career while Lockett played in a struggling St Kilda team for the first half of his career. Also Dunstall was more a regulation type of full forward while Lockett was freakish in terms of his strength, skill and agility, much like Gary Ablett Snr. Even neutral supporters would turn up to St Kilda and Geelong games just to watch Lockett and Ablett in action, not sure as many neutral supporters would turn up to a Hawthorn game just to watch Dunstall.

Jason Dunstall
Shane Crawford
Tony Woods
Lance Franklin.

It's amazing where a guy like Dermott Brereton is only considered probably the 4th best forward in your teams history.....

Anyways Plugger35, I understand your feelings (your username is based off the bloke) However i can assure you many neutrals did come out to watch Dunstall kick a bag, or call him a pig if he happened to kick 8 goals against your team

It was well recognised by players that played through that era that Dunstall was the one they all would have wanted in their team due to his unselfish play. Lockett was magnificent but rarely chased and tackled whereas Dunstall was a machine that not only kicked bags of goals but did ALL the team things.

Dunstall easily for mine over Lockett.

You don't go to games to watch full forwards chase and tackle, you go to watch them kick goals and Lockett kicked more than anyone despite missing a heap of games through injury and suspension.

Dunstall missed several games due to injury too, but let's just be happy we got to see both these champions play at the same time. Unbelievable players! Let's get back on topic

My favourite players throughout the years supporting the hawks would be Dunstall, Platten, Crawford, Bateman, Hodge and Buddy.

Dunstall averaged 4.66 goals per game. Lockett averaged 4.84. Not much between them goals wise. There was an enormous gap between team oriented things though.

There's no right or wrong regarding this one mate. Plugger was an absolute gun and I got to see him at the Swans for a number of years and I was all the better for it. Also had the pleasure of having him guest coach the Ulladulla Swans in a GF when he had retired the 1st time. Great bloke!!!!!

cheers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don't go to games to watch full forwards chase and tackle, you go to watch them kick goals and Lockett kicked more than anyone despite missing a heap of games through injury and suspension.
And Dunstall did two knee's and broke his Skull. What of it?

There's a few:

Peter Knights
John Platten
Shane Crawford
Leigh Matthews (would be my favorite Hawk except for the Bruns altercation)
Buckenara
Buddy

P.S. also love the story of what Dunstall did to Hudson after one of the finals when Hudson squibbed it going for the ball. Summed Dunstall up and Hudson I think was gone soon after from the Hawks.
What happened between Dunstall and Hudson?

FTR, Buddy and Cyril are my two favorites.

P.S. also love the story of what Dunstall did to Hudson after one of the finals when Hudson squibbed it going for the ball. Summed Dunstall up and Hudson I think was gone soon after from the Hawks.[/quote]

Wrong Hudson? Peter, Paul (or Mary)

Have been incredibly spoilt as a Hawk supporter being born into our golden era & witnessing so many champions.

Always loved Dipper, Dermie & Buckenara cos they were such amazing big-game players, & the first 2 also because of their '89 GF heroics.

Had I been old enough to see the great Huddo I suspect my fave would've been him, but of the players I've seen it'd be a tie between Luke Hodge & Lethal. Mainly just because of how they played/play the game. Close on their heels would be the pig-man.

Dunstall.

Tony Lockett dominated games, put bums on seats and a terrific footy player. If he had the players Dunstalll had around him in his heyday I dare say Lockett would have kicked many more goals. Also Tony Lockett for what is worth was a very much for the team over the man. One is a legend of the game, the other a great player. Don't go on dreaming about Dunstall being a nice guy either many would beg to differ, smartarse is more the point. However the personalities of both men do not detract from the great efforts.

Tony Lockett dominated games, put bums on seats and a terrific footy player. If he had the players Dunstalll had around him in his heyday I dare say Lockett would have kicked many more goals. Also Tony Lockett for what is worth was a very much for the team over the man. One is a legend of the game, the other a great player. Don't go on dreaming about Dunstall being a nice guy either many would beg to differ, smartarse is more the point. However the personalities of both men do not detract from the great efforts.

dunstall is more than just a great player, you are selling him way too short.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back