worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
Inspired by the “Your favourite quarter of the finals campaign” thread. This has been developed from having watched various footage of our finals matches many times on YouTube over the past seven weeks. The commentators I have quoted are not my opinions of the best in the business, as obviously we all feel differently towards each commentator and broadcasting station. This thread is simply meant to highlight inspirational pieces of commentary anyone admires.

Elimination final vs. West Coast
Second quarter, 17 minute mark
Matthew Richardson, MMM

Jack Darling takes a mark close to goal, but then takes 2-3 steps forward and is called to play on. He goes back to his mark but is tackled by Suckling, and gives away a free kick. We are presently 30 points in front.

“They’re jittery the Eagles. They are. They didn’t expect this much heat.”

This commentary exemplified that we were a force to be reckoned with in the finals and were not about to relinquish the five goal lead we held at that moment.

Semi-final vs. Hawthorn
Third quarter, 31 minute mark
Bruce McAvaney, Channel 7

With two opponents bearing down on him Tom Liberatore handballs over to Bontempelli. The Bont kicks a goal and puts us 26 points in front. We are in the process of cracking the game open.

“Massive problems here for the Hawks. Mitchell can’t get it out. (Libba handballs) Libba can. (Bont takes the ball and goals). You know who. Of course it’s him. It’s him. You know who it is.”

Mention of his name was not necessary.

Preliminary final vs. GWS
Fourth quarter, 32 minute mark
James Brayshaw, MMM

Tom Boyd handballs to Stringer with 35 seconds to go with Stringer sprinting towards goal.

“Right out the back’s Tommy Boyd. (Handballs to Stringer) And now The Package. Stringer runs in. (kicks to Dickson) Squaring ball. (Dickson marks) They’re through to a granny.”

At last, even though the siren hasn’t officially sounded, the knowledge is within us all at that moment that Dickson will take his time lining up and we are finally going to be in the big one.

Grand final vs. Sydney
Fourth quarter, 26 minute mark
Bruce McAvaney, Channel 7

Stringer kicks to Picken near the goal square.

“Good kick. Gives Picken a chance. (Picken grabs the loose ball and sprints in and goals) It’s over. It’s all over. The drought. The dam wall is busted.”

Liam Picken’s goal put us 21 points up with just over two minutes to play. Who among us didn’t now believe we would be holding the cup? Yes, we were definitely home. I think this moment might have been … special.

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray, Melbourne City
Grand final vs. Sydney
Fourth quarter, 21 minute mark
Brian Taylor, MMM

Morris tackles Franklin who doesn't dispose of the ball correctly.

"Boyd took the advantage and played on,
From inside the centre square,
Boyd's kicked a goal!
Boyd's kicked a goal!
From inside the centre squa...
****!"

Claudonious

Team Captain
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Prelim final - JJs run and the Bont goal. BT - johannisen, he's a lively player, he can run.....

I will never ever forget the roar when Bont kicked that goal. 12000 of the hardcore faithful, thinking we were going to lose our 8th prelim , that we were going to fall over again. This goal got us back on track, and we were riding them home.

Watch als highlights - the octocall of this goal - I reckon I have 100 times. All callers were good, but BT, Huddo and Whately stood out.

Huddo - Johannisen , a blur!!!

Whately - it means the world to the Bulldogs!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gangsta deluxe

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Rajasthan Royals!!!
STRINGER STRINGER STRINGER STRINGER STRINGER!!!!

Boyd's kicked a goal, Boyd's kicked a goal, from inside the centre square, *!!!

The sound of Darcy choked up, calling us making the grand final is most likely to be the most iconic call of the finals series. This is the one that buries itself most strongly in the public consciousness. And it'll be the one we hear replayed the most on television by far.

2nd qtr Hawks v Dogs - Stringer and Bontempelli eh? X-Factor - Bruce M
4th qtr Hawks v Dogs - As that ball went from Hodge to Bontempelli, it was like the baton being changed from one hand to another - Bruce M
3rd qtr GWS v Dogs - Knock on by Stringer, comes to Dahlhaus, took a bounce, run down from behind, still got the handball away, an almighty crash by Smith, picked up by Daniel, Goal Goal play of the year from the Western Bulldogs - BT

chop0205

Team Captain
Mar 28, 2007
West Wyalong
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Some of the calls from Richo in the prelim were brilliant and they stick in my mind, the others, including Darce seemed to be thinking we were going to fall over to the "incredible talent" of the plastics, Richo consistently said we weren't going away, he sensed it early. Some of the comments, particularly when Caleb kicked he goal were priceless "ohhhhh yeah"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BrisDog

Premiership Player
Dec 13, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Prelim final - JJs run and the Bont goal. BT - johannisen, he's a lively player, he can run.....

I will never ever forget the roar when Bont kicked that goal. 12000 of the hardcore faithful, thinking we were going to lose our 8th prelim , that we were going to fall over again. This goal got us back on track, and we were riding them home.

Watch als highlights - the octocall of this goal - I reckon I have 100 times. All callers were good, but BT, Huddo and Whately stood out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Same play - listen to Rex Hunt. 'Bontempelli...goal', before the ball had even hit his foot, 40 metres out on the run.....then you get to hear the crowd without the commentators ruining the roar. Great call Rex.

fred cook

Premiership Player
Jan 14, 2005
brunswick
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
nnn

Just watched the above to many times but it makes me dislike North( hard to believe) even more when only one commentator called James Brayshaw calls (Dunkley thats holding the ball ) when he clearly hand passed the ball
WHY WHY

MJ_Dogs

Club Legend
Oct 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Spurs, Man U, Habs, Patriots, Cubs
All these things actually happened right? The whole magnitude of everything still hasn't quite sunk in for me yet...
It's just crazy isn't it? I keep having all these thoughts of hope, promise and despair like when seeing Bont and thinking "ghee if he can't take us to a flag I don't know who will" and then I think "holy s**t we bloody won the flag didn't we!" Its so surreal. My whole footy world has done a 180 degree flip. It's like I just found out the world isn't flat. I've been accustomed to something, something so familiar, for so long and it's suddenly changed and will take a while to adjust my thinking!

It's just crazy isn't it? I keep having all these thoughts of hope, promise and despair like when seeing Bont and thinking "ghee if he can't take us to a flag I don't know who will" and then I think "holy s**t we bloody won the flag didn't we!" Its so surreal. My whole footy world has done a 180 degree flip. It's like I just found out the world isn't flat. I've been accustomed to something, something so familiar, for so long and it's suddenly changed and will take a while to adjust my thinking!

BTW, Ghee = Butter

you need to drop the "h"

Leon

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 13, 2004
Bound for Germany 2006!
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Harry's Heroes
1. "Tom Boyd goes long, how will it bounce...the stadium holds its breath...it's a goal! And the Western Suburbs erupt"

2. "Gives Picken a chance...it's over, it's all over, the drought! The dam wall has busted! It's 62 long years!"

3. "Stringer....oh yes he's done it! The package! Might deliver a cup..."

4. "To hit the front, to hit the front...the dogs are back in front!"

5. "I've been wanting to say this for as long as I can remember...the Bulldogs go through to a Grand Final! Can you believe it?!"

All of these calls give me goosebumps.

A few tidbits:

- People these days have their gripes about Bruce and Dennis. Some of them are fair, but on the whole, people need to appreciate them more. They're brilliant. Dennis in particular is going to be missed big time. Best commentator ever.

- I usually cannot stand biased commentary, even if it's towards a team I support. However, Darce's call of the final moments of the GWS game was brilliant, and really got to me. The emotion in his voice, it's exactly what we were all feeling. Sensational.

I also loved that moment after Bonti kicks the goal to put us in front in the last and Darce says, "And look at the Bulldogs fans, they just can't bear it. Neither can I."

- BT has grown on me a little bit as a commentator. He used to s**t me with his obnoxious yelling, but when he just commentates, he's quite good.

- Also think that Channel 7, who cop quite bit of flak (mostly justified) deserve a bit of credit for excellent coverage. The Semi Final, Preliminary Final and Grand Final, when you watch them, you can really feel and hear the energy and noise of the crowd.

Scary_Foot_9

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2013
Canberra
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham, Cubs, Leafs, Ravens
The only answer is Cometz calling us winning the flag. Been waiting for that moment most of my life.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back