Your favourite commentary of the finals campaign

Remove this Banner Ad

Freshwater

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Just heard a bit of Rex Hunt on the AFLs broadcast, and it was maybe the best I've heard. I have enjoyed them all though. I'm generally a SEN or ABC listener and maybe 3AW, can't stand MMMs call but listen to Eddie, Mick and Darce every morning so I'm not anti MMM. I've looked up a lot of grand final wrap up podcasts from Fox Footy and Superfooty etc and they've been great listening, there's a lot out there and I still can't get enough. It's not cricket season yet in my mind.

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Huddo 's call on SEN in the immediate aftermath of the prelim,( ie straight after the siren,) sends chills down the spine. He sums up the passion and emotion perfectly.

Bontempelli, can he be a one man show?
No he shares the sugar with Zaine Cordy! And he kicks the goal!

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
1. "Tom Boyd goes long, how will it bounce...the stadium holds its breath...it's a goal! And the Western Suburbs erupt"

2. "Gives Picken a chance...it's over, it's all over, the drought! The dam wall has busted! It's 62 long years!"

3. "Stringer....oh yes he's done it! The package! Might deliver a cup..."

4. "To hit the front, to hit the front...the dogs are back in front!"

5. "I've been wanting to say this for as long as I can remember...the Bulldogs go through to a Grand Final! Can you believe it?!"

All of these calls give me goosebumps.

A few tidbits:

- People these days have their gripes about Bruce and Dennis. Some of them are fair, but on the whole, people need to appreciate them more. They're brilliant. Dennis in particular is going to be missed big time. Best commentator ever.

- I usually cannot stand biased commentary, even if it's towards a team I support. However, Darce's call of the final moments of the GWS game was brilliant, and really got to me. The emotion in his voice, it's exactly what we were all feeling. Sensational.

I also loved that moment after Bonti kicks the goal to put us in front in the last and Darce says, "And look at the Bulldogs fans, they just can't bear it. Neither can I."

- BT has grown on me a little bit as a commentator. He used to s**t me with his obnoxious yelling, but when he just commentates, he's quite good.

- Also think that Channel 7, who cop quite bit of flak (mostly justified) deserve a bit of credit for excellent coverage. The Semi Final, Preliminary Final and Grand Final, when you watch them, you can really feel and hear the energy and noise of the crowd.
Bruce called a fantastic game. When Bruce tries to be a special comments ,an he really struggles when he just calls the action, he's great.

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray, Melbourne City

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
Have just finished watching the YouTube semi final Bulldogs highlights featuring teh AFL Live commentary. When Picken receives a free kick for being tunnelled by Smith in the third quarter, Rex Hunt typically sums things up by stating "A tunnel...up the funnel."

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
During the third quarter versus Hawthorn, just prior to "Of course it's him!", a stat was flashed on the screen showing the total disposals for both teams during that quarter. We were leading Hawthorn 118 to 58.

On Channel 7 Wayne Carey declared, "Look at that third quarter. That's a smashing."

Official proclamation from the King that we were knifing the reigning premiers.

giblj

Cancelled
Nov 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
During the third quarter versus Hawthorn, just prior to "Of course it's him!", a stat was flashed on the screen showing the total disposals for both teams during that quarter. We were leading Hawthorn 118 to 58.

On Channel 7 Wayne Carey declared, "Look at that third quarter. That's a smashing."

Official proclamation from the King that we were knifing the reigning premiers.
There was a similar piece of commentary in the same quarter from Jason Dunstall on Triple M: "Well the one thing Hawthorn wants is uncontested possessions. In this quarter uncontested possessions are 57 to 24 in favour of the Bulldogs."

Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
ASADA
There was a similar piece of commentary in the same quarter from Jason Dunstall on Triple M: "Well the one thing Hawthorn wants is uncontested possessions. In this quarter uncontested possessions are 57 to 24 in favour of the Bulldogs."
I like the chief. Provides good special commentary tbh. Not biased either, tells it how it is

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Second quarter of the prelim boundary throw in or ball up - forward pocket for the dogs...

Not exact wording but something along the lines of...

(Richo) now where's Clay Smith, he's been really dangerous in these situations all night.

3 seconds later, Smith is banging home another goal.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a commentary, but if you watch the preview to the 2016 finals, the Bulldogs only feature in half a second of the two minute ad.

I get it, we weren't expected to do much, but at least give us more than half a second of red, white and blue vision.

I should post my solo commentary from the stands of Subi of Bont's bomb in the last quarter of the EF, lost ocker dog in the deathly silence of an Eagles nest

Cruiserweight Champ

ENT Expert
Jul 21, 2007
Melbourne, AU
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
I though the commentary was brilliant for all four finals.

The game I've watched the most is the Hawks game - as they say " to be the champ you got to beat the champ" and that third quarter we absolutely rattled them.

Some of my favourite comments from this game:
Just before the first bounce to start the game:
Bruce - "I don't know about you Den but I'm excited"
Dennis - "me too Bruce"

After Dickson missed his first sitter and Dennis said "in comes Dickson, no challenge here" - a few minutes later Dickson was lining up another set shot and Dennis says: " well no predictions from me"

With 9 mins to go in the first Dickson takes an uncontested mark on half back:
Dennis: "Dickson often floats down back to help out (slight pause) he'd be a lot more helpful though if he kicked straight"

When Bont takes that contested mark on Hodge:
Bruce: " Dare I say it Duck but that mark was Carey like - and you don't have to blush because it was".

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
I though the commentary was brilliant for all four finals.

The game I've watched the most is the Hawks game - as they say " to be the champ you got to beat the champ" and that third quarter we absolutely rattled them.

Some of my favourite comments from this game:
Just before the first bounce to start the game:
Bruce - "I don't know about you Den but I'm excited"
Dennis - "me too Bruce"

After Dickson missed his first sitter and Dennis said "in comes Dickson, no challenge here" - a few minutes later Dickson was lining up another set shot and Dennis says: " well no predictions from me"

With 9 mins to go in the first Dickson takes an uncontested mark on half back:
Dennis: "Dickson often floats down back to help out (slight pause) he'd be a lot more helpful though if he kicked straight"

When Bont takes that contested mark on Hodge:
Bruce: " Dare I say it Duck but that mark was Carey like - and you don't have to blush because it was".

Not sure if I'm being trolled or if you are genuinely the most easily pleased person in the world.

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
There is an interesting contrast between Dennis and Bruce in Channel Seven's call of the second semi. As Shiels' goal is sailing through to put Hawthorn in front 46 to 23 in the second quarter, Dennis states, "and that's a dagger."
Then, one minute into the last quarter, with the mighty Dogs already 26 ahead, at the moment when Bont's pass lands in Dickson's arms, Bruce tells us, "Oh this is a real dagger."
I'm sure Shakespeare would have been proud.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back