Your favourite commentary of the finals campaign

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
In lieu of our playing list going MIA in 2017, I think we should have a 30 to 1 countdown of favourites moments and commentary from the 2016 finals. One for each day.

So many to choose from, but BT's "f***" after Boyd's goal in the GF summed up perfectly what we were all thinking.

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
In lieu of our playing list going MIA in 2017, I think we should have a 30 to 1 countdown of favourites moments and commentary from the 2016 finals. One for each day.

So many to choose from, but BT's "f***" after Boyd's goal in the GF summed up perfectly what we were all thinking.

Are you suggesting the 30 moments be ranked from 30 to 1, or should they just be 30 random selections?

30. BT's "f***" after Boyd's goal in the GF summed up perfectly what we were all thinking.

29. "Johanissen a BLUR! Charging away! Bouncing like the game's on the line. Identifies Bontempelli. Bontempelli, the future star, the present star, steadies, goals - ooooohhhhhhh! Listen to the Bulldogs fans! There's not one Bulldogs fan in their seat right now. From one end to the other, from JJ to the Bont. And the Dogs are in front!" (A. Hudson SEN Prelim Final)

I actually think that's the best one

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
30. BT's "f***" after Boyd's goal in the GF summed up perfectly what we were all thinking.
29. "Johanissen a BLUR! Charging away! Bouncing like the game's on the line. Identifies Bontempelli. Bontempelli, the future star, the present star, steadies, goals - ooooohhhhhhh! Listen to the Bulldogs fans! There's not one Bulldogs fan in their seat right now. From one end to the other, from JJ to the Bont. And the Dogs are in front!" (A. Hudson SEN)

I actually think that's the best one

Excellent and thanks. Let's keep it going.

29. "Johanissen a BLUR! Charging away! Bouncing like the game's on the line. Identifies Bontempelli. Bontempelli, the future star, the present star, steadies, goals - ooooohhhhhhh! Listen to the Bulldogs fans! There's not one Bulldogs fan in their seat right now. From one end to the other, from JJ to the Bont. And the Dogs are in front!" (A. Hudson SEN)

28. Easton Wood's captain's goal to fire us up in the SF against Hawthorn, after a string of misses. "A captain's goal, 1937 days after his last clash with Hawthorn. And how timely!" (from AFL Twitter)

Last edited:
27. FOX FOOTY LIVE
@FOXFootyLive

a3773fb5-0ee9-45e8-9fa9-70b3f9977ddc_1000.jpg

This guy. No words.
HT @HawthornFC 7.5 (47) leads @westernbulldogs 6.10 (46): bit.ly/2d2Tt3y #AFLFinals

"You know who! Of course it's him. It's him!" (B. McAvaney Ch 7 Semi Final)

Last edited:
26. "Macrae - handball back to STRINGER! He's kicked a goal! Ooohhh! Ooohhh! Oooohhh! Aaahhhhh! Stringer's delivered! Look at this! Look at Stringer! Gee, (indistinct - bloody?) Stringer! Stringer Stringer Stringer Stringer!" (J. Brayshaw, B. Taylor MMM Grand Final)

Am I the only one doing this? Apparently yes...

BulldogJake

All Australian
Jul 24, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
26. "Macrae - handball back to STRINGER! He's kicked a goal! Ooohhh! Ooohhh! Oooohhh! Aaahhhhh! Stringer's delivered! Look at this! Look at Stringer! Gee, (indistinct - bloody?) Stringer! Stringer Stringer Stringer Stringer!" (J. Brayshaw, B. Taylor MMM Grand Final)

Am I the only one doing this? Apparently yes...
Can't remember if it was Gerard Wheatley for ABC or Huddo for SEN but there was a great call of Bontempelli's PF goal.

Also Gerard Wheatley after the siren of PF. "A night for the dreamers!"

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
25. "Picken from behind! Picken from behind! What a mark! He was the smallest man in the threesome."
24. “They’re jittery the Eagles. They are. They didn’t expect this much heat.” (Matthew Richardson, MMM) This is something I posted when I started the thread. It signifies we had the Eagles in trouble and were on our way to glory in our premiership quest.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Are we getting a bit ahead? I think Dogs Rule suggested one post a day to finish at the Grand Final. Today (Monday) would be day 25.

However, it's all great to read.

I'm easy. The whole point was just to share the memories of a great September/October, so if we end up with 50 or 100 memories or whatever, so be it. Loving it.

If we have any audio/video clips, please add them.

Jun 26, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Weird one, but one of my favourites was when Tom Boyd took the shot at goal that had it been straight, would have been his fourth.

Bruce McAvaney: "Handball to Boyd... Oh he couldn't kick a fourth... Just misses. It's incredible this day, how people just emerge."

This showed how well Boyd had played on the day, and captured the emotion of the moment for me. Wasn't your typical 'favourite commentary' but I find myself attatched to this one.

Mingo

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 8, 2006
Western
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
It's sad that when people talk about their favourite commentary moments no-one actually mentions when the final siren went in the Grand Final. Commetti fluffed it. I guess that's what happens when you don't pre rehearse what you're going to say like other commentators seem to. I also have a theory that the silence in the box as McLean was lining up was Bruce trying to convince Commetti to take the final call and Commetti refusing. Bruce would have probably done it more justice

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
So anyway... :D

"Picken's been deadly around goal. Bouncing it home - he's kicked three! Oh, what a night! What a night for them!" (B. McAvaney Semi Final)

Have you noticed there is a slight pause as Bruce pronounces "three!" It doesn't quite roll off his tongue smoothly. It's as though Bruce is waiting for the goal umpire's signal in order to feel certain, but when he sees the players celebrating, he just goes with it.

Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
It's sad that when people talk about their favourite commentary moments no-one actually mentions when the final siren went in the Grand Final. Commetti fluffed it. I guess that's what happens when you don't pre rehearse what you're going to say like other commentators seem to. I also have a theory that the silence in the box as McLean was lining up was Bruce trying to convince Commetti to take the final call and Commetti refusing. Bruce would have probably done it more justice

You're probably right. "He misses, but they don't miss out" isn't really fitting for ending a 62 year drought.

Bruce's call (edited) of the Picken goal could have easily been the commentary at the final siren.

"It's over. The drought.....it's 62 long years....The Dogs are Premiers."

Bulldogs Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Cometti did fluff it but have a listen to the roar when the siren goes it was 62 years of joy and relief all rolled into one big ball!
I still have my iphone recording of the final two minutes and in between my incoherent shouting of each players name as they got the ball nothing will ever match that roar when the siren goes!

Bulldogs Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
You're probably right. "He misses, but they don't miss out" isn't really fitting for ending a 62 year drought.

Bruce's call (edited) of the Picken goal could have easily been the commentary at the final siren.

"It's over. The drought.....it's 62 long years....The Dogs are Premiers."

Yes "Its over, its all over 62 long years" said it all
I also liked Matty Grenlin on SEN as the siren goes "A win for the Western Bulldogs, a lifetime of heartache is over". For those of us who are not older than 62 it was a lifetime.

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Commetti did that too. He used to write lines that he wanted to work in somewhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back