Your favourite commentary of the finals campaign

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I miss AL's Highlights octocalls and highlights from last September (and October). The AFL is a s**t organisation.
Snarls, that last sentence sums up my feelings perfectly BUT just go to p27 of the thread, Als highlights and you will find nirvana.

All the calls are there, it is compulsory viewing every day. Revel in them as I do.

Snarls, that last sentence sums up my feelings perfectly BUT just go to p27 of the thread, Als highlights and you will find nirvana.

All the calls are there, it is compulsory viewing every day. Revel in them as I do.
Sorry, they're not. All Al's vids have been taken down :'(

Edit: no, you're right, there's one they missed :)

Last edited:

Mingo

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 8, 2006
Western
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
Sorry, they're not. All Al's vids have been taken down :'(

Edit: no, you're right, there's one they missed :)
Nah sackofballs uploaded 6 videos to a different website and they are all still up. As 1961grandfinal said they're on page 27 of the Als Highlights thread.

"Where's Clay Smith? He's been dangerous in these situations. They need to put some touch on him this time." (M. Richardson) [2 seconds later Smith kicks a goal] "There's the man you called, Richo! He's got four goals in the first half, and that is a big moment for the Bulldogs!" (L. Darcy Prelim Final)

Then Heath Shaw did his nut, hahahaha :D

Nah sackofballs uploaded 6 videos to a different website and they are all still up. As 1961grandfinal said they're on page 27 of the Als Highlights thread.
All of the ones on p27 come up Unavailable, except for one that's clearly visible. Where are they posted now? (PM me please if necessary, thanks)

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
Not necessarily the most stirring commentary of the finals campaign, but during the semi against Hawthorn, Toby McLean was awarded a free kick near goal when we were eight points up during the third quarter. The commentators on MMM were not united in how genuine the free kick was. Jason Dunstall stated something like, "The bottom line is, when you get an opportunity like this, you need to make the most of it." A perfect example of showing impartiality as a commentator when your former team is not going so well in a game.

"I've been wanting to say this for as long as I can remember - the Bulldogs go through to the Grand Final! Can you believe it?! The siren'll sound. A fifty-five year drought ended! The Dogs are in the Grand Final!" (L. Darcy Prelim Final)

"Well what we've seen tonight, play them at your peril."
"The Western Bulldogs have won a famous victory."
"Picked up by Stringer. Gets through, has a snap. And what a beauty it is. They needed that one."
"Roughead, and Bontempelli takes a wonderful mark. Against Hodge, of all comers. And Bontempelli from 30 metres out, gets the goal. Stringer and Bontempelli, hey? X Factor!"
"Hunter lurking, left footer, goes to Macrae. Oh, Stringer. Yesssssss. He's done it! He's kicked three."
"Massive problems here for the Hawks. Mitchell can't get it out. Libba can. You know who. Of course it's him. It's him!"
"Trying to bounce his way out here Hill. Running hard, to Hodge. Oh beautiful cut off - by Bontempelli. Oh, this is a real dagger!"
"It's been 55 years to the day they've won consecutive finals."
"Hey, they're out here the Bulldogs. Dahlhaus, running back Boyd. Boyd offers a lead. They come in board to Cordy. Not a great kick. Cordy did well to bring it to ground, won his own footY. And now coming through, Clay Smith for the first goal of the Prelim Final. Clay Smith delivers for the Bulldogs."
"They're having trouble getting out of defence because of kicks like that. Easton Wood! Sensational grab."
"There's the man you called, Richo. He's got goals in the first half. And that is a big moment for the Bulldogs."
"Dunkley through the middle, gave it to an under-pressure Bontempelli. Shrugged off a tackle. Can he regain his composure? No he can't. Dickson was there, gee he ran into a head high tackle. Smith I thought was a little unlucky not to get a free. Knock on by Stringer. Comes to Dahlhaus. Took a bounce. Run down from behind. Still got the handball away. An all-mighty burst by Smith. Picked up by Daniel. Goal! Play of the year from the Western Bulldogs."
"Went for the fresh airey out of the middle. Johannisen, he's a lively player. He can run. Here he goes. Caressing ball to Bontempelli. Bontempelli. No one between he and the goal. Paddles it up. Gets back onto his left foot. To hit the front. To hit the front! The Dogs are in front by a point. Bontempelli has brought them to their feet."
"Here he goes again Smith. He's a goer. Left foot, high in the air. Anyone's ball. A mark will count. Up goes Davis. The spoil was good. Daniel boot to ball. In front of goal. Cordy's got another. They've kicked it. They've hit the front, the Dogs."
"Picke's smother was enormous. He goes back in, flicks it out to Liberatore. Up and under job. Big pack! Who can get it? Front and centre. Bontempelli's there. Liberatore. Macrae's out the back. He'll hit Macrae. Haynes gets there. No, it's Macrae."
"Draws breath. Directly in front. To give the Bulldogs a six-point lead. He's done it. The Dogs are in front by a goal."
"Tap, tap, tap, tap... McLean, hooking... Oh yes, that is the cream of what has been a beautiful first half."
"I've been wanting to say this my entire life. The Bulldogs go through to a Grand Final. Can you believe it?"
"I'm loving every minute, and it's sort of like reality TV for me at the moment. The greatest Grand Final memory is happening right now, and hopefully it continues."
"Stringer, oh yes he's done it. The package. He might deliver a Cup."
"You don't get to the end of the footy season and then re-evaluate belief. You either believe or you don't, and this side under Luke believes."
"Picken, oh Picken. Picken, yes! Liam Picken nails it. How big was that?"
"How will it bounce? The stadium holds it breath. It's a goal. And the Western suburbs erupt."
"It's over, it's all over. The drought. The Dam Wall is busted. It's 62 long years."
"McLean will kick virtually on the siren. He misses. But they don't miss out. Their day, their year, their joy."
"And the Bulldogs are premiers. It's a quest that will be recounted from here to football eternity."
"There it is. History made at the MCG. This unbelievable Western Bulldogs outfit."
"A win for the Western Bulldogs. A lifetime of heartache, and the drought is over."
"The Dogs are the premiers. The Dogs are the premiers!"
"55 years out of the big dance. 62 years since they've won a premiership."
"Australian Football's had so many romantic, wonderful stories, and this is as good as it's ever been."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Picked up by Stringer. Gets through, has a snap. And what a beauty it is. They needed that one."
"Roughead, and Bontempelli takes a wonderful mark. Against Hodge, of all comers. And Bontempelli from 30 metres out, gets the goal. Stringer and Bontempelli, hey? X Factor!"
"Hunter lurking, left footer, goes to Macrae. Oh, Stringer. Yesssssss. He's done it! He's kicked three."
"Massive problems here for the Hawks. Mitchell can't get it out. Libba can. You know who. Of course it's him. It's him!"
"Trying to bounce his way out here Hill. Running hard, to Hodge. Oh beautiful cut off - by Bontempelli. Oh, this is a real dagger!"
"Hey, they're out here the Bulldogs. Dahlhaus, running back Boyd. Boyd offers a lead. They come in board to Cordy. Not a great kick. Cordy did well to bring it to ground, won his own footY. And now coming through, Clay Smith for the first goal of the Prelim Final. Clay Smith delivers for the Bulldogs."
"They're having trouble getting out of defence because of kicks like that. Easton Wood! Sensational grab."
"There's the man you called, Richo. He's got goals in the first half. And that is a big moment for the Bulldogs."
"Dunkley through the middle, gave it to an under-pressure Bontempelli. Shrugged off a tackle. Can he regain his composure? No he can't. Dickson was there, gee he ran into a head high tackle. Smith I thought was a little unlucky not to get a free. Knock on by Stringer. Comes to Dahlhaus. Took a bounce. Run down from behind. Still got the handball away. An all-mighty burst by Smith. Picked up by Daniel. Goal! Play of the year from the Western Bulldogs."
"Went for the fresh airey out of the middle. Johannisen, he's a lively player. He can run. Here he goes. Caressing ball to Bontempelli. Bontempelli. No one between he and the goal. Paddles it up. Gets back onto his left foot. To hit the front. To hit the front! The Dogs are in front by a point. Bontempelli has brought them to their feet."
"Here he goes again Smith. He's a goer. Left foot, high in the air. Anyone's ball. A mark will count. Up goes Davis. The spoil was good. Daniel boot to ball. In front of goal. Cordy's got another. They've kicked it. They've hit the front, the Dogs."
"Picke's smother was enormous. He goes back in, flicks it out to Liberatore. Up and under job. Big pack! Who can get it? Front and centre. Bontempelli's there. Liberatore. Macrae's out the back. He'll hit Macrae. Haynes gets there. No, it's Macrae."
"Draws breath. Directly in front. To give the Bulldogs a six-point lead. He's done it. The Dogs are in front by a goal."
"Tap, tap, tap, tap... McLean, hooking... Oh yes, that is the cream of what has been a beautiful first half."
"I've been wanting to say this my entire life. The Bulldogs go through to a Grand Final. Can you believe it?"
"I'm loving every minute, and it's sort of like reality TV for me at the moment. The greatest Grand Final memory is happening right now, and hopefully it continues."
"You don't get to the end of the footy season and then re-evaluate belief. You either believe or you don't, and this side under Luke believes."
"How will it bounce? The stadium holds it breath. It's a goal. And the Western suburbs erupt."
"It's over, it's all over. The drought. The Dam Wall is busted. It's 62 long years."
"McLean will kick virtually on the siren. He misses. But they don't miss out. Their day, their year, their joy."
"And the Bulldogs are premiers. It's a quest that will be recounted from here to football eternity."
"There it is. History made at the MCG. This unbelievable Western Bulldogs outfit."
"A win for the Western Bulldogs. A lifetime of heartache, and the drought is over."
"Australian Football's had so many romantic, wonderful stories, and this is as good as it's ever been."
:$ sniff :'(

Jun 26, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Ozil

Club Legend
Dec 10, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
Cometti ******* nailed the Grand Final call apart from the final siren. So flat.

I recognised each one and read them all in the respective commentator’s voice in my head. Thanks for putting that together.

I usually hate Lingy.
But in the final quarter of the Grand Final,
just after JJ's goal review,
Ling says:- "The bulldogs players now
have just got to regroup & just stay calm,
because they do have this game.
They have the momentum.
Gotta turn it into another goal".

I think it sums up what we were all thinking
or perhaps hoping at that stage with about
6 minutes to go.

Ozil

Club Legend
Dec 10, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
Thought he struggled badly.
Yeah? I felt that way about Bruce to be honest.

It isn't an easy gig but he just can't put together a coherent sentence anymore. Lots of positive but meaningless sentiments with "ay?" tagged on the end too.

BT has his doubters and rightfully so but I think he's been okay when he isn't dicking around, and even he on the Grand Final call defaulted to "Look at [player], look at [this]" every other minute.

They still have their moments - Bruce's call of Prestia's goal in the last quarter was golden - but it's time for new voices. Papalia and Bennett are very good.

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
I've been re-watching my finals pack DVDs in between the grand final and waiting for the cricket to begin. I noticed a key word which bobbed up frequently over the four massive victories.

Elimination final vs West Coast, 3rd quarter:

Clay Smith snaps a goal from close range to put us 31 points ahead.
Basil Zempilas: "Smith...snaps...and goals! Massive for the Bulldogs."

Semi final vs Hawthorn, 3rd quarter:

We are 8 points ahead and Hawthorn are in their back-line. Ben McEvoy kicks across goal to Isaac Smith, who kicks to Sicily, who then handballs to Duryea. Duryea is on the boundary and is wrestled over the line by Stringer.
Dennis Cometti: "Duryea in trouble now. They're rattled!"
Cameron Ling: "It's only a boundary thrown in but that is massive for the Western Bulldogs."
Sure enough, 10 seconds later from the boundary throw in, McLean receives a free kick to post another goal.

Preliminary final vs GWS, 4th quarter, we are 5 points ahead with a minute and a half to go. The ball is inside the GWS forward 50, Easton Wood tackles Phil Davis, affecting his handball to Whitfield, who cannot take the ball cleanly. Fletcher Roberts is now able to take possession and propels a high kick toward the boundary. The ball hits the turf and tumbles over the line.
Luke Darcy: "A minute 29 on the clock. Easton Wood: big play."
Matthew Richardson: "Massive play Easton Wood. We know he attacks the ball in the air."

Grand final vs Sydney, 4th quarter, we are one point ahead, 61 to 60, half way through the term. Stringer, from a ball up near our goal, receives a handball and snaps a goal. After the replay, Wayne Carey comments: "He's had a quiet day, but it doesn't matter. If you can do that in the last quarter, you can still have a massive influence. That's a huge goal."

I did notice other instances of the word "massive" being used, but these were my favourites at vital stages of each game.

I've been re-watching my finals pack DVDs in between the grand final and waiting for the cricket to begin. I noticed a key word which bobbed up frequently over the four massive victories.

Elimination final vs West Coast, 3rd quarter:

Clay Smith snaps a goal from close range to put us 31 points ahead.
Basil Zempilas: "Smith...snaps...and goals! Massive for the Bulldogs."

Semi final vs Hawthorn, 3rd quarter:

We are 8 points ahead and Hawthorn are in their back-line. Ben McEvoy kicks across goal to Isaac Smith, who kicks to Sicily, who then handballs to Duryea. Duryea is on the boundary and is wrestled over the line by Stringer.
Dennis Cometti: "Duryea in trouble now. They're rattled!"
Cameron Ling: "It's only a boundary thrown in but that is massive for the Western Bulldogs."
Sure enough, 10 seconds later from the boundary throw in, McLean receives a free kick to post another goal.

Preliminary final vs GWS, 4th quarter, we are 5 points ahead with a minute and a half to go. The ball is inside the GWS forward 50, Easton Wood tackles Phil Davis, affecting his handball to Whitfield, who cannot take the ball cleanly. Fletcher Roberts is now able to take possession and propels a high kick toward the boundary. The ball hits the turf and tumbles over the line.
Luke Darcy: "A minute 29 on the clock. Easton Wood: big play."
Matthew Richardson: "Massive play Easton Wood. We know he attacks the ball in the air."

Grand final vs Sydney, 4th quarter, we are one point ahead, 61 to 60, half way through the term. Stringer, from a ball up near our goal, receives a handball and snaps a goal. After the replay, Wayne Carey comments: "He's had a quiet day, but it doesn't matter. If you can do that in the last quarter, you can still have a massive influence. That's a huge goal."

I did notice other instances of the word "massive" being used, but these were my favourites at vital stages of each game.
Massive post. :thumbsu:

I love that video. It's my favourite of all the Bulldogs videos on YouTube.

My favourite vid is the bulldogs crowd reaction vid the club put up. Overlaid with commentary of key moments.

The emotion of fans at the game still chokes me up. I was in my lounge room 1000km from Sydney doing the same.

* I just watched it then and the tears still come

Draft Pick

Cancelled
Jun 17, 2004
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Western Bulldogs
My favourite vid is the bulldogs crowd reaction vid the club put up. Overlaid with commentary of key moments.

The emotion of fans at the game still chokes me up. I was in my lounge room 1000km from Sydney doing the same.

**** I just watched it then and the tears still come

Is that Mitch Hahn in the crowd at about 1:45 ?

In the green top.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back