Your favourite film comedy scenes

Remove this Banner Ad

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
What are your specific favourite comedy moments of all time?

I am a re-watcher of movies I have my group of say 40-50 films that I’ll watch a few times a year.

I get very attached to particular scenes particularly from comedies.

My favourites in rough order are:

1. Sex Panther in Anchorman. The entire sequence is so perfectly made that I can find something different to laugh at each time. Fantana’s effort to keep a straight face, Burgundy’s change from shot to shot: ‘it’s quite a formidable scene:/it’s quite pungent/it stings the nostrils - in a good way/Brian I’m not gonna lie to you, that smells like pure gasoline/that doesn’t make sense.’
It’s topped of by Fantana saying ‘that’s the smell of desire my lady.’
Veronica replies with ‘no it’s not that’ - which would infer that she does know what desire smells like.

2. Horrible Bosses 2: Blanston in sex addiction therapy. Jason Bateman is ridiculously good in this scene where he thinks he’s at an AA meeting while Charlie Day and Jason Sudeikis are trying to steal laughing gas. He starts off by talking about how he’s ‘always with the guys, ending up face down, double fisting’ before realising it’s a sex addicts meeting. It then degenerates into him making up a story about a teen gay experience in order to keep the attendees distracted and culminates in the immortal line ‘I sucked that c*** and licked that kids sweaty a***hole as well’ before he and Jennifer Aniston call the meeting off to have sex

3. Horrible Bosses 1: black policeman pulls the three of them over, tells Jason Bateman to follow him to the station. Sudeikis thinks he can ‘racial harmony’ his way through the situation and from yhe passenger seat offers a fist bump and says ‘officer, my man.’
Scene cuts to the three of them in the back of a police car

4. Ace Ventura Pet Detective: the moment he discovers Einhorn is a man and proceeds to exorcise himself. It’s probably viewed as trans or homophobic these days but * it makes me laugh

5. Old School: the moment Luke Wilson’s love interest says ‘I heard someone died at one of your parties.’ He responds without batting an eyelid ‘Yes but Blue was old. And I’m confident when we get the autopsy results it will show he died of natural causes.’

6. The scene in lock stock where the Stoners start shooting Dog’s gang with an air rifle.
‘I don’t f***ing believe this could everyone stop getting shot?’

7. You can’t mention lock stock without mentioning Snatch. The look Mickey gives Turkish and Tommy - ‘whoops!’ - after he knocks his opponent out when he is supposed to throw the fight. It’s about a minute into this clip

Uncut sex scene in Team America.

My favourite laugh out loud moment in that movie is when Spotswood invites him into the car and Gary says something like ‘you just want me to get in there so you can stick your fingers in me and make me give you a blow job’ or words to that effect.

Eventually Gary gets in and his first comment is ‘now Gary, suck my c**k.’

Bridesmaids

- the dress fitting scene in the bridal shop. "Oh its happening.... its happening".
And the look on Kristen Wiig's face when she eats that sugared almond :tearsofjoy:
- The plane scene: "I had a dream the plane would crash. You were in it".
"Stove.... that's a funny name Stove..."
"No one can get anywhere in 3 seconds.. you're just setting me up to fail"
"Oh my god- everyone there's an old woman on the wing and she's churning butter!!!!!!"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Other honorable mentions that come to mind:

- Tallahassee saying ‘you gotta purdy mouth’ as he plays the deliverance song to a zombie in zombieland

About 15 different happy Gilmore moments but in particular:

His throwaway delivery of ‘oh I just have to beat the livin piss out of him’ regarding shooter mcgavin

Bob Barker’s delivery of the word ‘bitch’

‘Did it go in? I didn’t see it, I saw the ball go past the hole but did it go in?’

Bridesmaids

- the dress fitting scene in the bridal shop. "Oh its happening.... its happening".
And the look on Kristen Wiig's face when she eats that sugared almond :tearsofjoy:
- The plane scene: "I had a dream the plane would crash. You were in it".
"Stove.... that's a funny name Stove..."
"No one can get anywhere in 3 seconds.. you're just setting me up to fail"
"Oh my god- everyone there's an old woman on the wing and she's churning butter!!!!!!"
Kristen Wiig gets a lot of criticism from her SNL days but I think she is wonderful. Never better
than in the scene you describe. She did some great work on SNL.

The scene in Get Him To The Greek where Jonah Hill puts Russell Brand’s stash up his backside is priceless.

Also his delivery of the line ‘I just don’t think it could hurt…. To
NOT do heroin’ is delivered perfectly

Some old school scenes:

• Barry Manilow line/scene in Breakfast Club
  • Ferris gatecrashes a snooty restaurant in Chicago
"I weep for the future"
  • Some Kind of Wonderful; family dinner/breakfast scenes. a very young Candace Cameron steals it everytime.
  • The 'Burbs: when they visit the Klopec's. "It sure was damp today". "Sardine???... I'm trying to cut back"
  • Dirty Rotten Scoundrels: Rupret "May I please go to the bathroom??................. thank you" Oklahoma, Oklahoma, Oklahoma, Oklahoma!!!
  • Uncle Buck: the Culkin v Candy quick questioning scene is impressive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back