Big Bad Buddy

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2008
Somewhere
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Real Madrid, Liverpool
I like most Combat sports, but Kick Boxing and Boxing would be my favorites because i have trained and done them before.

What about you, what is/are your favourite form/s of combat sports.

Of those that are actually sports, probably wrestling. I started doing it quite a few years ago and at first it was very uncomfortable. But when you get used to sweaty guys grabbing you it's good fun and a real physical test.

Of those that are actually sports, probably wrestling. I started doing it quite a few years ago and at first it was very uncomfortable. But when you get used to sweaty guys grabbing you it's good fun and a real physical test.
Uhm, I'll pass on that one.

Uhm, I'll pass on that one.
Yeh it's very uncomfortable at first. I've done all sorts of martial arts my life and wrestling is definitely the most challenging. Kickboxing is another at the top. It's a great feeling landing a solid kick or punch on someone, but the reverse is not the best.

Started Kick Boxing and Boxing today, i have done it previous and i was pretty good for my age then i stopped for a while and I'm back on now.

I started MMA just under a year ago now and these are my impressions.
Brazilian Jujitsu is heaps fun once you know what you're doing, it's like a physical game of chess.
Muay Thai is very different when you first start, haven't used my elbows in any fighting i'd done before, you feel awesome the next day but your shins and groin is really sore.
Judo is exhausting, but it's needed for take downs as we don't have many top grade wrestlers about in Australia.
Boxing, I think is the funnest of the striking sports, not having to worry about leg kicks and knees.

I train Brazillian Jiu Jitsu (purple belt) and have a decent knowledge of freestyle/greco wrestling and some judo, so I like the grappling arts.

But overall I love it all. All combat sports, thats why I love MMA so much.

just out of intrest, how long did it take to get your purple? im thinking of taking it up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

just out of intrest, how long did it take to get your purple? im thinking of taking it up

About 5 and a half years of solid training. No time off, training 2-3 days a week. At dominance they are fairly strict with giving out belts too. Purple belt grading was brutal.

Oh and you should take it up, you wont regret it.

my love for mma over the past 8 or so years has given me a great love for bjj. i think its now the most enthralling to watch when you're watching 2 seasoned guys go at it. when you're watching bjj, the most skilled guy generally wins, which i think is a purer form of combat than boxing or kickboxing where anyone has a punchers chance.

I've been a boxing fan for years but i've just started to enjoy MMA in the last year or two, so much so that it's probably overtaken boxing for mine. It shits me how every boxing match is for a title of some sort, MMA has a lot more going for it in some areas.

And i've never trained in any martial art or boxing, hopefully if i'm in a blue at a pub one of you blokes is nearby to help! :D

my love for mma over the past 8 or so years has given me a great love for bjj. i think its now the most enthralling to watch when you're watching 2 seasoned guys go at it. when you're watching bjj, the most skilled guy generally wins, which i think is a purer form of combat than boxing or kickboxing where anyone has a punchers chance.

Have you ever trained BJJ? Just wondering as before I trained BJJ I used to watch MMA and have limited understanding of the nuances. Mind you I wasn't as hardcore into MMA back then but I just remember knowing the basic positions, but not the technical stuff.

Assuming you haven't trained, from 8 or so years of watching MMA and obviously being a hardened fan now, how much of the subtlety do you pick up?

not seriously - there's been a few times where i've just had a roll around, but got banned from doing that when i got carried away with what i was doing and dumped someone on his head.

i've done boxing, but will be the first to admit that professional boxing is a friggen joke.

it's an interesting question asking about the subtlety of what is going on - it wasn't til watching 2 seasoned bjj practitioners in sotoropoulos and stevenson go at it in sydney that i realised how much i knew. possibly a bit to do with the fact that i generally watch mma on a 19 inch screen and i watched ufc 110 on 42 inch high def - but i surprised myself cheering every tiny little move or every tiny little opening.

Thats awesome. I guess I'm not that experienced in standup but I can see some of the technicalities there also so I guess it's a similar thing.

The cerebral 'chess' part of BJJ is what interests me the most though and if you can see some of that come through with the top level ground guys like jacare, maia, penn, aoki or even sots, it adds a lot to the MMA experience IMO.

:thumbsu:

Thats awesome. I guess I'm not that experienced in standup but I can see some of the technicalities there also so I guess it's a similar thing.

The cerebral 'chess' part of BJJ is what interests me the most though and if you can see some of that come through with the top level ground guys like jacare, maia, penn, aoki or even sots, it adds a lot to the MMA experience IMO.

:thumbsu:

I checked out the SA Jiu Jitsu Championships yesterday. Absolutely loved it. I was there watching the bloke who works at my gym, he is a purple belt and won silver. First time I have been to a live event, enjoyed the fact there were multiple fights and you could pick and choose what you wanted to watch. Really noticed how calm some guys are and the interaction between fighter and coach "on the fly" is really unique in sport. Most fighters showed respect for each other and their discipline which was great to see. If anyone is keen and hasn't given it a crack, do it, I will. Just gotta get past being so touchy feely and the personal space of other men. :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back