Veteran 10k Posts
Apr 20, 2008
The Terrortory!
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Uni Rats! Believeburgh
Well, what is it and why?

I always seem to drift into New Edition when I have time to kill, or when I need new books - which is pretty much always.

With the Essex St. Restaurant being my favourite eatery.

Don't mind the basement when a band I like is playing there. :thumbsu:

juszko

Draftee
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan Districts, Liverpool
Metro's!! woo!

Was there 3 weeks ago, on the saturday after Freo played the Saints on Friday Night footy. Almost half the team was there haha was awesome! Me and Haze sat down and had HJ's at 4am!

MadMac

Premiership Player
May 5, 2008
Purple Pub
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Swan Districts, Željo
Little Creatures

btw. why did "Fast Eddy's" closed down its Freo restaurant? Surely not because of lack of business.

Chops_a_must

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts
Apr 20, 2008
The Terrortory!
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Uni Rats! Believeburgh
Metro's!! woo!

Was there 3 weeks ago, on the saturday after Freo played the Saints on Friday Night footy. Almost half the team was there haha was awesome! Me and Haze sat down and had HJ's at 4am!
That brings out the "oh dear" on many levels...

Fast Eddy's went broke I'm pretty sure...

prattsta

Premiership Player
Sep 29, 2006
Westeros
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, 76ers, Steelers, Canucks
Metro's!! woo!

Hang around that place and you will have hundreds of stories like that to tell the grand kids one day. Not necessarily good stories either...

My favourite Fremantle place would be Clancy's Fish Pub. Not much can top a grilled seafood platter with some fried mice and a variety of beers on a Saturday/Sunday afternoon. Playing drunken boule at Little Creatures comes pretty close though...

Markets + Crepes = Awesomeness!

Fremantle Bakehouse + Cakes = Delightfulness!

My favourite restaurant in the area would probably be Song Tam (Vietnamese) that's technically in South Fremantle so it probably doesn't count. Generally I don't eat in the heart of Fremantle though its all very same-same. It's slowly getting a bit more variety however which cant be anything but a good thing.

Mad Monk is probably the biggest disappointment in Fremantle IMO. It has so much potential yet it never fails to leave me annoyed. The foods usually good, it looks pretty cool but the service there is just atrocious. I don't know if they've organised a license to serve beer over the bar yet - a prerequisite in a micro-brewery I would've thought - but with the table service as bad as it is it's something else they should consider. Doesn't matter anyway I guess, I've vowed never to return.

Fairly sure Fast Eddy's went broke, not all that surprising really. The steak house that's replaced it is pretty cool, can get a touch on the pricey side though.

Chops_a_must

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts
Apr 20, 2008
The Terrortory!
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Uni Rats! Believeburgh
My favourite restaurant in the area would probably be Song Tam (Vietnamese) that's technically in South Fremantle so it probably doesn't count. Generally I don't eat in the heart of Fremantle though its all very same-same. It's slowly getting a bit more variety however which cant be anything but a good thing.
Thanks for that Pratty.

Might pay it a visit on Friday if I head to the WAFL at Freo Oval later on.

Sep 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU
Hang around that place and you will have hundreds of stories like that to tell the grand kids one day. Not necessarily good stories either...

My favourite Fremantle place would be Clancy's Fish Pub. Not much can top a grilled seafood platter with some fried mice and a variety of beers on a Saturday/Sunday afternoon. Playing drunken boule at Little Creatures comes pretty close though...

Markets + Crepes = Awesomeness!

Fremantle Bakehouse + Cakes = Delightfulness!

Mad Monk is probably the biggest disappointment in Fremantle IMO. It has so much potential yet it never fails to leave me annoyed. The foods usually good, it looks pretty cool but the service there is just atrocious. I don't know if they've organised a license to serve beer over the bar yet - a prerequisite in a micro-brewery I would've thought - but with the table service as bad as it is it's something else they should consider. Doesn't matter anyway I guess, I've vowed never to return.

Fairly sure Fast Eddy's went broke, not all that surprising really. The steak house that's replaced it is pretty cool, can get a touch on the pricey side though.

'Song Tam' is the business...right next door to that other place too :D

Try 'Aubergines' down that way too.

juszko

Draftee
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan Districts, Liverpool
Haha i know what u mean! I just got the double whopper and fries but Haze was pretty keen on the triple haha, wasnt looking his fittest i might add.

hoss

Norm Smith Medallist
May 28, 2004
South
AFL Club
Fremantle
Pub - Norfolk or Clancy's
Coffee - Aubergines, Gino's or X-Wray
Restaurant - Essex, George St Bistro, Maya
Pizza - Ruocco's
Bakery - Abhi's (and La Vespa's lemon tarts.. yum)
Icecream - Amano's
Burgers - Flipside
Fish - South Beach F&C's

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
I'm gunna be all hippy-like and say the Esplanade Reserve.

I used to live round the corner on Howard St and when we had an afternoon spare we used to smoke a couple of J's then grab a footy and a few beers and head down there.

We'd kick the footy round for a while - with all sorts of funky looking randoms joining in - until we were nice and knackered. Then we'd sit back and enjoy the cool breeze, the interesting looking people, and the laid back atmosphere that only Freo can provide. With someone making the occasional trip back to the house for more supplies of course.

Good times. :thumbsu:

Chops_a_must

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts
Apr 20, 2008
The Terrortory!
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Uni Rats! Believeburgh
I was wondering how long it would be before someone mentioned something free.

How about South Tce. as a whole? Or something like that.

Personally, I've watched many a sunset from the walls at the Roundhouse, like reading on Bather's Beach or the benches nearby, and often like walking around the E-Shed area, especially when there are big ships in.

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
I used to go jogging down to South Beach most mornings. Quick dip and then jog back.

It wasn't very far* but it was a nice way to kickstart the day.

*except the first day I did it - I wasn't very fit to start with (see aforementioned smoking of J's) and I ended up spewing under some business's front window. Luckily they weren't open yet - or at least I hope they weren't. I didn't stop to check.

BananaOnTheRun

Cancelled
Sep 12, 2009
AFL Club
Fremantle
Can anyone tell me what the National Hotel was like in the mid-80s? What kind of people went there? Were they mainly dock workers?

13then7

Club Legend
Sep 18, 2011
Boston USA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SF Dogs, GS Warriors, A's, Raiders
My favourite place is Fremantle Oval. My earliest memories are going down to watch Stephen Michael and the Rioli's, among others, run the gauntlet. Every time I return to Fremantle I make sure I enter or exit via Parry Street. Used to love the hype of the Derbies.

Metro's is also the foundation of some pleasant memories back in the day.

DMan 11

Premiership Player
Apr 3, 2012
Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Love it all, so many memories.

Spent a bucket load of time at Norfolk in my formative years with mates who worked /ran it so had a heap of loose nights there - Now I reflect on it I can't remember most of it :eek:

Freo oval - just so different to any other wafl or suburban ground I've played at, loved it.

The best thing about Freo is it is all within walking or pushie distance. I think that's what makes it such a special place and tight knit community. So much packed into one little historic and beautiful town you really don't need to travel too far out of it to experience everything you need.

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
My favorite fremantle places....

Bread in Common
Moore and Moore
New Edition bookstore
Fremantle town hall
Clancys fish pub
Little Creatures

scon

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2009
western australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Long haired Champs.
Can anyone tell me what the National Hotel was like in the mid-80s? What kind of people went there? Were they mainly dock workers?
Its regulars were quite hard core drinkers.Had quite a number of residents living there semi-permanent.
It's location meant it always did good trade with blow ins.Was frequented by a lot of salty-dogs but most of Freos pubs were in those days.Been to a couple of wakes there for old Freo maritime identities.Was run by a funny little Irishman whose name escapes me.
I used to like the Esplanade hotel when it was run by BB and most of its patrons were wharfies,fishermen or orange.

Back