Your Favourite Freo Place...

Remove this Banner Ad

That Polish van popped up outside Forrest Chase at the twilight markets in the CBD recently. Very hot donuts but so much better than the ones everyone is queueing up for in Whitfords.

Hit the sunset markets just before Xmas, a good laid back joint to get a feed and kick back with a six pack of Little Creatures with your dog.

Last edited:
That Polish van popped up outside Forrest Chase at the twilight markets in the CBD recently. Very hot donuts but so much better than the ones everyone is queueing up for in Whitfords.

Hit the sunset markets just before Xmas, a good laid back joint to get a feed and kick back with a six pack of Little Creatures with your dog.
Mental picture of your dog.

2015-01-28-13-13-50-1875344925.jpeg

This may be a polarising opinion, but I quite liked the fish and chips I ordered today from Kailis Bros on the boat harbour.
Yea dawg. Kalis are one of the better fish and chips on the harbour. The garlic prawn rolls are da bomba.

I remember going as a kid and getting a garlic prawn roll there for $5. I think they're like $12 now.

New Edition Books, Bill Campbell's Secondhand Books, St Patrick's, Fremantle Oval, Old Shanghai, Cicerello's, ..and this one will surprise people - the atmosphere in Freo on a quiet weekday afternoon after about 4.30pm when it quietens down (including Woolstores Shopping Centre and the Coles).

Probably Elizabeth's, they'd order in anything you wanted and give it to you in brown paper if it was on the proscribed list. Got me a copy of American Psycho back in the day when you couldn't buy it in Australia.
Are they still there?

Probably Elizabeth's, they'd order in anything you wanted and give it to you in brown paper if it was on the proscribed list. Got me a copy of American Psycho back in the day when you couldn't buy it in Australia.
Are they still there?
They certainly are my man! I just recently purchased another ripping Palahniuk novel from them!

At the moment, Top 10:

(1) Manuka Woodfire Restaurant https://www.manukawoodfire.com.au/
(2) Notre Dame University
(3) Fremantle Town Hall
(4) Wise Child Wine Store (North Fremantle) https://wcws.store/
(5) Young George (East Fremantle) https://www.younggeorge.com.au/
(6) Bread in Common https://www.breadincommon.com.au/
(7) Little Creatures https://littlecreatures.com.au/locations/fremantle/
(8) Kakulas Little Sister
(9) Moore and Moore https://mooreandmoorecafe.com.au/
(10) WA Maritime Museum

Are they still there?

Yeah, and that naughty men's magazines section, which when you look back at it in hindsight was pretty tame stuff really.

Sunshine Harvester Co & The Mantle. We live practically upstairs from there in the Woolstores so I've been known to take the lift down and walk the 30 or 40 metres in my PJ's and Ugs and get pizza or icecream on a lazy weekend. A bit annoyed the burger joint moved across town.

Weekly foodshop at Galati - you'd be flat out managing to spend more than $30 for a couple of big bags of veggies all local grown in Spearwood. Meat from Frank's next door in Wray Ave.

2 Dogs Cafe up in the Industrial area in Stack St. An old warehouse with crappy furniture but you can take your dog and the food is to die for. They have an outdoor smoker there and have Texas BBQ on a Friday night with live blues. They put anything in the smoker so you can get poached eggs with smoked potato and some BBQ on the side for breakfast. Highly recommended if you don't depend on salubrious surrounds to get your rocks off. They play good music over the house system too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tragic news that a young girl just died from a shark attack at the Freo traffic bridge, swinging off a rope into the river. My kids do this all the time. WTF is going on with shark attacks in the river? I know it's their territory but river leaps off the bridge or at Blackwall are a rite of passage for every kid that's grown up in Freo.
My kids are banned from now on

always used to love visitng the Fremantle MArkets.

and of course the south fremantle oval.

Not sure how long it’s been since you’ve been here. No one like that can afford to live here anymore. South Fremantle is full of young affluent families now. The hippies have all moved to Coolbellup or Hammy Hill if they’re lucky.
In my street in the heart of town there are still enough, they're just all aged and faintly pathetic. Certainly agree there are essentially no young hippies living here, except temporarily and illegally in vans in beach carparks

In my street in the heart of town there are still enough, they're just all aged and faintly pathetic. Certainly agree there are essentially no young hippies living here, except temporarily and illegally in vans in beach carparks
Ha, nearly mentioned the camper van population. It’s going to get worse as rents continue to disconnect from fundamentals.

What is it you find pathetic about the older hippies?

Certainly my cohort the original Freo musicians are starting to die off. Sadly many too young like Richard Lane, Tim Underwood.

Ha, nearly mentioned the camper van population. It’s going to get worse as rents continue to disconnect from fundamentals.

What is it you find pathetic about the older hippies?

Certainly my cohort the original Freo musicians are starting to die off. Sadly many too young like Richard Lane, Tim Underwood.
I only said faintly pathetic. Maybe amusing would be less offensive. They're harmless. But when you're still dyeing your hair bright maroon and boasting that each mung bean in your morning salad has been individually massaged, yet living in your million dollar house and trying to keep high density development out of Freo to protect your property values, there's a disconnect of sorts. I love em all though, my neighbours

Remove this Banner Ad

Back