Your favourite game against North.

mikey127

Feb 4, 2011
Ok seeing there is no footy thought I'd start a thread on your favourite game against the team we were meant to be playing each week so this week it's North.

I'll let others go first and post mine later on but I'll give you a clue Ian Robertson was calling for Channel 7 and I remember coming home and watching the replay and listening to him call one of our goals. The call was simply this 'Lappin, Lappin, Laaaaaaaappppppppiiiiiiinnnnmmm

mikey127

Feb 4, 2011
Ok so I hinted at my favourite earlier. Was round 17 2001 at Docklands. It was a high quality game and I also reckon Lions fans outnumbered North fans.

It was a week after there famous game against Essendon and I remember the Lions fans chanting '69 points up and lost do da do day at the good

Both teams played really well and it was a high quality game.

Dylan12

Sep 7, 2007
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Ok so I hinted at my favourite earlier. Was round 17 2001 at Docklands. It was a high quality game and I also reckon Lions fans outnumbered North fans.

It was a week after there famous game against Essendon and I remember the Lions fans chanting '69 points up and lost do da do day at the good

Was a very memorable day. :thumbsu:

Mr Ripper

Pink-cheeked and robust
Dec 21, 1999
Far North Fitzroy
Fitzroy FC
This'un.

North were undefeated and loaded with superstars; we were benchless from the first quarter and down 20 points at half time. Second half was a beautiful, beautiful thing. ❤

Mr Ripper

Pink-cheeked and robust
Dec 21, 1999
Far North Fitzroy
Fitzroy FC

Excellent choice. I was sick as a dog but still went. SOMETHING I WOULD NOT EVEN CONSIDER DOING IN THESE TROUBLED TIMES!

Yeah, I would go with Brownie’s farewell game.

My least favourite game against North would be Round 18 2008 at Carrara. We had been sitting just inside the 8 for a good part of the year until this game. If we had of won this game we would have been pushing top 4. But the 8 point loss pushed us out of the 8 and we never got back in. We were leading for much of the game and got over run in the last quarter in an extremely disappointing loss.
For me this game was the absolute death of Leigh Matthews as Lions Coach😔

Dylan12

Sep 7, 2007
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Yeah, I would go with Brownie’s farewell game.

My least favourite game against North would be Round 18 2008 at Carrara. We had been sitting just inside the 8 for a good part of the year until this game. If we had of won this game we would have been pushing top 4. But the 8 point loss pushed us out of the 8 and we never got back in. We were leading for much of the game and got over run in the last quarter in an extremely disappointing loss.
For me this game was the absolute death of Leigh Matthews as Lions Coach😔
My least favourite was the 99 preliminary final when that grub, Mick Martyn, almost blinded Simon Black early in the game. Black played not further part in the game either.

We went on to lose by a good 6 goals, but Black's injury changed the course of the game.

Some how Martyn got off at the tribunal too and went on to play in their winning GF team.

I personally reckon we would've won the GF that year too had we beat North. Would have seen the likes of Max Kennedy and a couple of others that didn't experience the three-peat get a GF medal.

Oct 29, 2008
Blazers/Heat, ORST beavers
Last year was up there.

I have a vivid memory of a game against North where we came back from a few goals down and almost pinched it if not for a horrific back half turnover from Leppitsch (I think) which allowed Boomer Harvey to run into an open goal. Horrible memory but from what I can recall it occurred before our success so happy to put it down as a watershed moment :D

It's almost hard to watch those games from last year and think that we should all be going to the Gabba again this Saturday night for another year of that.

Well aware how small it is in the scheme of things, but am feeling the loss of this part of life a little heavily today.

It's almost hard to watch those games from last year and think that we should all be going to the Gabba again this Saturday night for another year of that.

Well aware how small it is in the scheme of things, but am feeling the loss of this part of life a little heavily today.

Me too. When my upcoming tour dates were cancelled I was negged, but at least the footy was still on. It's a bitter pill to swallow, but as you said so small in the scheme of things.

bungalow_bill

Dec 11, 2010
The recent game was quite enjoyable. :D

My choice as well. A nail biting win and massive melt downs from the Norf fans especially Snake Baker who probably still hasn't recovered and having constant nightmares about THAT free kick to Big O

Jan 13, 2016
My least favourite was the 99 preliminary final when that grub, Mick Martyn, almost blinded Simon Black early in the game. Black played not further part in the game either.

We went on to lose by a good 6 goals, but Black's injury changed the course of the game.

Some how Martyn got off at the tribunal too and went on to play in their winning GF team.

I personally reckon we would've won the GF that year too had we beat North. Would have seen the likes of Max Kennedy and a couple of others that didn't experience the three-peat get a GF medal.
Martyn should never have got off the charge. Deliberate grub act.

This'un.

North were undefeated and loaded with superstars; we were benchless from the first quarter and down 20 points at half time. Second half was a beautiful, beautiful thing. ❤

I was at this game and it was blowing a gale. You can see it in the highlights.
Years later, I was at a Fitzroy function commemorating the 1978 Night Premiership and the 1979 ‘Record Score’ against Melbourne and had a long chat to Noel Mugavin who remembered the game fondly. I only went to one game at Arden Street and this is it.

BUT ... NOTHING WILL TOP ROUND 13, 1983 at the ‘World Famous’ Junction Oval.
https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1983/061219830618.html

North were on top of the ladder going into the round and we absolutely gave if to them. It was as joyous a dismemberment of a football side as I have ever witnessed.

Rohan Connolly rates this game as our greatest ‘Home and Away’ win ever and I agree. Not sure I rate his other selections though.

I would rank Fitzroy’s Top Five (that I saw) as

1. Round 13, 1983 Fitzroy def North Melbourne by 150 Points (Junction Oval)

2. Round 1, 1979 Fitzroy def Collingwood by 80 points (Victoria Park)
A savage game of football. Ron Wearmouth knocked out Gary Wilson early in the first quarter and the rest of the quarter was the most violent I have seen as Fitzroy tried to level up at every opportunity. In a coaching master stroke, Wilson was stretchered on to the ground at quarter time and the players huddled around him. In the second quarter FITZROY IGNITED and murdered Collingwood in front of their home crowd. I watched it all from the Collingwood Social Club, where my family were guests.

3. Round 5, 1979 Fitzroy def Essendon by 96 points (Windy Hill)
Train from Heidelberg to the city and train to Essendon to see the ‘Bob and Bernie Show’ that day. Beecroft kicked 7 and Bernie kicked 6. Gary Wilson and Graeme Allen were both taken to hospital after the game with ‘leather poisoning.’

4. Round 11, 1992 Fitzroy def Collingwood by 3 points (Princess Park)
ROOS!

5. Round 17, 1979 Fitzroy def Melbourne by 190 points (Waverley Park) Tragically, I was on school camp (where I sprained my ankle) and missed this one. But I listened on the trans I had with me while I was propped up in bed.