Your favourite gym exercise

Remove this Banner Ad

120 for 12 reps! god dam man you must be a beast. I'm to ashamed to say how much i bench.....70:(
nothing wrong with that! i don't worry too much about how much i can lift; i find if i'm focusing too much on that my form can suffer a little. 120x12 is insane, but (and not saying this guy does it) i know people that can lift a lot of weight on the bench, but their form isn't great; they either don't lower it right to their chest, they swing through reps, or they use their shoulders/tris a lot so their chest isn't getting everything it could be out of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Docker Clint

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 7, 2007
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sturt
nothing wrong with that! i don't worry too much about how much i can lift; i find if i'm focusing too much on that my form can suffer a little. 120x12 is insane, but (and not saying this guy does it) i know people that can lift a lot of weight on the bench, but their form isn't great; they either don't lower it right to their chest, they swing through reps, or they use their shoulders/tris a lot so their chest isn't getting everything it could be out of it.

What this man says is correct. There's a lot of blokes who love figuratively waving their dicks around in gyms to compare size but you get a better result with lighter weights with perfect form, as long as the weight is enough to fatigue you at the end of the workout.

I'd look more at % of body weight. So what if one bloke can push 120kg on the bench? If he's 6'6" of course he's going to push more than a smaller bloke. I'm impressed by anyone who can do < their body weight on the bench. Even better is degree of difficulty, how about someone who can press decent weights while laying on a fitball?

mg07

Team Captain
Nov 9, 2007
Parkdale
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Paul Medhurst
Bicep curls

Cable cross-overs

Decline Bench

Shrugs

PS, 120kgx12, remind me to s**t myself if i see you in a dark alley!

Deadlifts for me - although gripping it can be a bitch.
yeah, i find my wrists aren't strong enough to keep up with the rest of my body for deads and shrugs. i would use straps, but i figure that would only result in my wrists lagging even further behind.

Robert Plant

Cancelled
Aug 22, 2008
Alphington
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
nar bro i go quick but its jus better for giving me X-plosive power. i was doing 120x12 wen i was bulking tho. now i do 107.5x12 coz ive shredded heaps of weight n lost strength. im 6 fooot 4 and weigh 99kg.

Dime

Club Legend
Veteran Armchair Endzone Participant
Jul 10, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
LAL, KC Chiefs
Lateral raises.
Cable cross-overs.
Calf raises.
Tricep pushdown.

I ****ing hate anything biceps with a passion.

May 21, 2008
Rent Free
AFL Club
Essendon

There's a skinny asian guy at my gym who has awful form on the bench - he loads it up with 70 kgs, and lowers it up and down about 6 inches, tops. It's really quite ridiculous - when lowered, the bar wouldn't even be within a foot of his chest. He's been stuck on 70 kgs for over 18 months - hasn't made any progress. I want to say something to him, but I also don't want to be one of those idiots who always tries to interfere with advice when you don't want it :eek:.

May 21, 2008
Rent Free
AFL Club
Essendon
What this man says is correct. There's a lot of blokes who love figuratively waving their dicks around in gyms to compare size but you get a better result with lighter weights with perfect form, as long as the weight is enough to fatigue you at the end of the workout.

I'd look more at % of body weight. So what if one bloke can push 120kg on the bench? If he's 6'6" of course he's going to push more than a smaller bloke. I'm impressed by anyone who can do < their body weight on the bench. Even better is degree of difficulty, how about someone who can press decent weights while laying on a fitball?

I agree 100% with the first paragraph. The second I disagree with.

The amount one can lift/press as a percentage of body weight, IMO, has some relevance to achievement, but I think it's overstated a fair bit. I've never really understood the 'pound-for-pound' argument. It's always seemed like a bit of a way to make littler guys feel better about themselves. To me, super heavyweights are the only ones that matter....

Let's say I'm 6'3" and weigh 100 kgs. Let's say I also bench 110 kgs fairly comfortably. That means I bench just over 100% of my body weight for reps. Now take a guys who's 80 kgs - he benches sets of 95 kgs. This means his bodyweight-to-strength ratio is better than mine. But is that really relevant? I mean, I am stronger than him. A pound-for-pound explanation is just an excuse. It's raw strength that matters to me. You put a middleweight boxer against a heavyweight and you'll quickly see how irrelevant pound-for-pound is.

It's much harder for larger men to get a strength-to-weight ratio that compares to little men.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back