Your favourite Movie of all time

Remove this Banner Ad

The Butterfly Effect -- realizing everyone would be better off if you were dead, has some personal relevance
Brazil -- the journey of a deluded guy, has some personal relevance
Barton Fink -- the decay of dreams into reality and reality to madness, has some personal relevance

Don't worry, I'm great fun at parties and functions :moustache:

But also movies like

Star Wars -- a rollicking good fantasy sci-fi adventure.
All those American Pie/teen/80s type movies -- a huge list of them -- so charming that era compared to the last 30 years
2001 A Space Odyssey -- anything Kubrik really, heavy on themes, meaning, philosophy, but also pr0n in terms of film-making techniques/study

Ummm

There are so many more

Way back in 1979, when I was young, I joined up as a member of The Electric Cinema Club in Portobello Road in Notting Hill, London. It was like the old Valhalla in Richmond for those ancient enough to remember. I regularly picked up the monthly calendar and one time there was an ad for the first European showing of 'Eraserhead'.

I'd heard nothing of this film but the write up was glowing. I went along by myself on a Sunday evening and saw what was to become the most perception altering work of art that I've ever seen. I was stunned by what I saw.

I went back to the flat in Notting Hill I was sharing with a couple of Aussie girls and they asked me what the film was like. I couldn't answer. My mind was spinning. I just went to bed to lie down for a while and try to work out what I had experienced.

Since then my opinion of 'Eraserhead' hasn't changed. When I arrived back in Australia I raved about it to everyone I knew. A few weeks later it was announced as playing at The Valhalla. I dragged most of my friends along to see it. A few felt similar to me about the film which pleased me greatly. It is the greatest film I have ever seen or ever will see. Nothing will change the way I see film like 'Eraserhead' did.

I've been obsessed with the work of David Lynch since that moment I first saw 'Eraserhead' all those years ago. True genius!

Way back in 1979, when I was young, I joined up as a member of The Electric Cinema Club in Portobello Road in Notting Hill, London. It was like the old Valhalla in Richmond for those ancient enough to remember. I regularly picked up the monthly calendar and one time there was an ad for the first European showing of 'Eraserhead'.

I'd heard nothing of this film but the write up was glowing. I went along by myself on a Sunday evening and saw what was to become the most perception altering work of art that I've ever seen. I was stunned by what I saw.

I went back to the flat in Notting Hill I was sharing with a couple of Aussie girls and they asked me what the film was like. I couldn't answer. My mind was spinning. I just went to bed to lie down for a while and try to work out what I had experienced.

Since then my opinion of 'Eraserhead' hasn't changed. When I arrived back in Australia I raved about it to everyone I knew. A few weeks later it was announced as playing at The Valhalla. I dragged most of my friends along to see it. A few felt similar to me about the film which pleased me greatly. It is the greatest film I have ever seen or ever will see. Nothing will change the way I see film like 'Eraserhead' did.

I've been obsessed with the work of David Lynch since that moment I first saw 'Eraserhead' all those years ago. True genius!
Oh s**t, I forgot about Lynch movies.

I also rate Mullholland Drive as one of the best ever movies in the ilk of Kubrik's 2001.

As for Eraserhead...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OP, you posted in a thread just like this 3 weeks ago, I've bumped it.
Thanks Roobs, I already edited the thread title before I read your post. The guys didn't understand that it's supposed to be a single choice only.

Favourite movie of all time.

Three Colours Red (1994)
A Glorious, inspirational film that had a major effect on my life and the life of my late wife.

Love that movie.

Hard to narrow it down to just one but would have to go with The Green Mile.

Thanks Roobs, I already edited the thread title before I read your post. The guys didn't understand that it's supposed to be a single choice only.

Favourite movie of all time.
Favourite, and top 10 favourites, are essentially the same thing. People would still post a little list here anyway. This is just a superfluous duplication.

The Butterfly Effect -- realizing everyone would be better off if you were dead, has some personal relevance
Brazil -- the journey of a deluded guy, has some personal relevance
Barton Fink -- the decay of dreams into reality and reality to madness, has some personal relevance

Don't worry, I'm great fun at parties and functions :moustache:

But also movies like

Star Wars -- a rollicking good fantasy sci-fi adventure.
All those American Pie/teen/80s type movies -- a huge list of them -- so charming that era compared to the last 30 years
2001 A Space Odyssey -- anything Kubrik really, heavy on themes, meaning, philosophy, but also pr0n in terms of film-making techniques/study

Ummm

There are so many more
Star Wars doesnt rate in GGs top 3.

Mind blown.

Movies suck. Tv shows is where its at. I dont love any movie. I love plenty of shows.
The trouble with tv shows is you have to keep up with them every week to not miss an episode and essentially become a couch potato.

DF788ED1-AABC-45BA-B196-F4B8E62E1E32.gif

The trouble with tv shows is you have to keep up with them every week to not miss an episode and essentially become a couch potato.

View attachment 599457
An another example why I agree with you...

Either trying to catch up on many missed seasons to where the current episode of a TV show is at.
Or, a TV show that ended years/decades ago (like say Cheers), and you want to watch it all.

I acquired, for instance, the entire 7 or 8 seasons of Game of Thrones. But no way am I gonna sit and watch them. Not a single one.

I remember once acquiring about 4 full seasons of a TV show, and I decided to start watching.
So began a marathon session of watching.
So rapt in the end of episode 1, I had to go straight to ep2, then ep3, etc.
Once season 1 was completed, so rapt, I had to start season 2 ep1, and couldn't put it down, kept going.
Eventually....days later....i was literally effed, physically and mentally.
My mind completely saturated with every facet of the show, the characters, themes, visuals, arcs, I couldn't even sleep when I tried to, swimming and drowning in information/dialog/images.

I can't explain just how effed I was, I needed days to recover.

An another example why I agree with you...

Either trying to catch up on many missed seasons to where the current episode of a TV show is at.
Or, a TV show that ended years/decades ago (like say Cheers), and you want to watch it all.

I acquired, for instance, the entire 7 or 8 seasons of Game of Thrones. But no way am I gonna sit and watch them. Not a single one.

I remember once acquiring about 4 full seasons of a TV show, and I decided to start watching.
So began a marathon session of watching.
So rapt in the end of episode 1, I had to go straight to ep2, then ep3, etc.
Once season 1 was completed, so rapt, I had to start season 2 ep1, and couldn't put it down, kept going.
Eventually....days later....i was literally effed, physically and mentally.
My mind completely saturated with every facet of the show, the characters, themes, visuals, arcs, I couldn't even sleep when I tried to, swimming and drowning in information/dialog/images.

I can't explain just how effed I was, I needed days to recover.
Yeah I did that with the prison show OZ. Watched it all in under a week and looked like a vampire with AIDS by the end. Will never allow myself to be sucked in like that again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back