Your favourite Movie of all time

Remove this Banner Ad

Havent heard of downloading, boxsets or netflix?

Who actually watches free to air tv anymore?
Dont watch enough TV to justify Netflix, and downloading is for cheapskate criminal mugs who blame everyone else for the rising prices in movie tickets.

Dont watch enough TV to justify Netflix, and downloading is for cheapskate criminal mugs who blame everyone else for the rising prices in movie tickets.
Downloading is only criminal if you were going to buy the shows/movies and then decide to download for free instead. If your alternative to downloading is watching free to air tv (or staring at a wall) then you havent stolen anything. The studios lose no money from you as you were never going to buy to begin with. Thus I think its fine for you to download. Modern tv shows are far superior story telling devices than movies.

Modern tv shows are far superior story telling devices than movies.
There's a yes and a no component/side to this debate. It's not a definitive thing.

TV -- can expand and detail more, but can also bog down with fluff and filler, and spend far too much time on not very important detail

Movies -- are a neat length of time to explore something, providing enough time for detail/arcs/etc whilst also being able to fit into one's busy life

There are pros and cons for both. A use for both.

Downloading is only criminal if you were going to buy the shows/movies and then decide to download for free instead.
Well then Im sure that explanation will excuse you in court.

4AE7FAF8-C2F7-4762-B526-AF48CA517ED5.gif

There's a yes and a no component/side to this debate. It's not a definitive thing.

TV -- can expand and detail more, but can also bog down with fluff and filler, and spend far too much time on not very important detail

Movies -- are a neat length of time to explore something, providing enough time for detail/arcs/etc whilst also being able to fit into one's busy life

There are pros and cons for both. A use for both.
Your argument was true in the time of free tv but its not now. Filler episodes are no longer needed and shows dont have to create a story to fit a strict 22 episode block. Some tv shows are dragged on to make more money but that is slowly disappearing.

Movies are good lengths for rom coms, horror flicks and maybe some buddy cop action flics. They are ridiculously short for science fiction, fantasy or anything with a complex detailed story. Most good books are too complex for a 2-3 hour run time and have to be ridiculously simplified for a movie. The movie is always worse then the book because of the need to be shortened and simplified. Ive never seen a good science fiction or fantasy movie that hasnt left me incredibly frustrated about how much better it could of been if they fleshed out the characters and plots.

The movies have never created stories and worlds as enthralling as those created by animes such as full metal alchemist, evangelion, death note or escaflowne or tv shows such as game of thrones, breaking bad or buffy. They are simply too short. Sequels help but they often feel tacked on and have to tell new stories rather than one grand story.

Last edited:
Your argument was true in the time of free tv but its not now. Filler episodes are no longer needed and shows dont have to create a story to fit a strict 22 episode block. Some tv shows are dragged on to make more money but that is slowly disappearing.

Movies are good lengths for rom coms, horror flicks and maybe some buddy cop action flics. They are ridiculously short for science fiction, fantasy or anything with a complex detailed story. Most good books are too complex for a 2-3 hour run time and have to be ridiculously simplified for a movie. The movie is always worse then the book because of the need to be shortened and simplified. Ive never seen a good science fiction or fantasy movie that hasnt left me incredibly frustrated about how much better it could of been if they fleshed out the characters and plots.
Alien and Aliens not excellent sci-fi movies?
2001 had no time to flesh stuff out?

The poor state of movies could be more attributed to poor directors/producers/writers, and more, big studios like Disney who pump s**t out.

Alien and Aliens not excellent sci-fi movies?
2001 had no time to flesh stuff out?

The poor state of movies could be more attributed to poor directors/producers/writers, and more, big studios like Disney who pump s**t out.
Aliens are just simplified horror movies. Nothing complex about them. A villian chases people. It works for movies cos its simple. Its why the original terminator movies worked. And jaws. Something chases people is simple and can fit into a two hour movie. Fun popcorn movie but not something to become obsessed about.

Lord of the rings is probably the best but all 3 movies were written and filmed together and effectively have a combined runtime of 8 hours. Basically it was a tv show cut into three parts and put on at the movies.

Look at stories with a great world developed around them such as World War z and how they are brutalised when someone tries to condense them into a 2.5 hour run time. It just doesnt work as movie lengths are too constraining.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aliens are just simplified horror movies. Nothing complex about them. A villian chases people. It works for movies cos its simple. Its why the original terminator movies worked. And jaws. Something chases people is simple and can fit into a two hour movie. Fun popcorn movie but not something to become obsessed about.

Lord of the rings is probably the best but all 3 movies were written and filmed together and effectively have a combined runtime of 8 hours. Basically it was a tv show cut into three parts and put on at the movies.

Look at stories with a great world developed around them such as World War z and how they are brutalised when someone tries to condense them into a 2.5 hour run time. It just doesnt work as movie lengths are too constraining.
Most, if not all, true sci-fi movies originated from books. So, that's always a problem when converting to a screenplay -- because you have to try to condense. Mind you, a lot of movies per se originate from original books too, and they always have the same problem trying to condense the material. It's not specific to sci-fi, just movies in general. But if you get an original screenplay/story written for a movie, no book prior, it works well. I don't have Google search handy at the moment to jog my ailing memory of all the great movies that started off as original screenplays, but they work smashingly, regardless of genre.

Again, I say it's more a waning standard of directing/producing/writing + big studios pumping s**t out, than it is an inherent flaw in the medium of "movies".

Tell me what has been stolen if the studios dont lose a cent if you download because you were never intending to purchase in the first place? Who has lost? One party has gained (you) and no party has lost.
So you watch it even though you never wanted to watch it? :huh:o_O

lol, get out of the basement bro.

So you watch it even though you never wanted to watch it? :huh:o_O

lol, get out of the basement bro.
I watch it even though i never intended to buy it. If I didnt download shows i would watch free to air tv so the only losers of downloading are the free tv air channels. And no offense I hope they die horrible deaths for making the population utterly stupid and driving the housing property bubble.

Most, if not all, true sci-fi movies originated from books. So, that's always a problem when converting to a screenplay -- because you have to try to condense. Mind you, a lot of movies per se originate from original books too, and they always have the same problem trying to condense the material. It's not specific to sci-fi, just movies in general. But if you get an original screenplay/story written for a movie, no book prior, it works well. I don't have Google search handy at the moment to jog my ailing memory of all the great movies that started off as original screenplays, but they work smashingly, regardless of genre.

Again, I say it's more a waning standard of directing/producing/writing + big studios pumping s**t out, than it is an inherent flaw in the medium of "movies".
So your first paragraph agrees with me. Movies are too short to tell great stories and thus there is an inherent flaw in the medium.

To use a sporting analogy....

You saying TV is superior to Movies because TV can run a great length of time....that's similar to saying.....Test Cricket is a superior sport and entertainment to AFL simply because it goes for 5 days, whilst AFL goes for only a couple of hours.

:moustache:
Test cricket is superior to t20 though because it enables more complexity and more possibilities. For those who know a fair bit about cricket T20 is boring as watching grass grow as it is so simplified and takes away most of the skills and strategies. Afl is a completely different sport. A 2 hour horror film is much better than a 10 hour horror tv show. For some stories 2 hours is perfect. All the afl players would collapse if the game went for 5 hours. As for stories that are detailed and should have complexity or many moving parts then 2 hours is inadequate. You cant tell a story about a war, rebellion, grand quest or aliens invading with 2 hours.

So your first paragraph agrees with me. Movies are too short to tell great stories and thus there is an inherent flaw in the medium.

You like TV shows more because they CAN flesh out stories/characters more. That is obviously something TV can do that Movies can't.

But TV shows CAN (and often) mire in fluff and filler, in an attempt to drag out a quota of episodes/seasons, or because the writers have lost the spark, or actors depart/whatnot and causes arcs to branch off or backtrack to validate such...etc with reasons.

Movies are a 2hr window for a story. Often movie scripts come from original books. So yes there is going to be an issue there with trying to condense a book into a 2hr story. But top selling books are often turned into Movies not TV shows because Movies are still the bigger drawcard. That may change in the future with Netflix/etc type streaming services and a collapse of Cinemas like there was a collapse of Video rental stores.

However, a movie with an original screenplay, not derived from a book, are often perfect for the medium of Movies.

Both mediums have their pros and cons. Neither is "better" than the other. They just provide two different forms of entertainment.

Remember, your initial position was -- TV Shows are superior to Movies (simply because of the reason you like fleshing out a story more and more). That's a personal taste. There are many people who would consider Movies superior because of the exact opposite reason. Both are just personal taste povs. Not absolute truths.

Test cricket is superior to t20 though because it enables more complexity and more possibilities. For those who know a fair bit about cricket T20 is boring as watching grass grow as it is so simplified and takes away most of the skills and strategies. Afl is a completely different sport. A 2 hour horror film is much better than a 10 hour horror tv show. For some stories 2 hours is perfect. All the afl players would collapse if the game went for 5 hours. As for stories that are detailed and should have complexity or many moving parts then 2 hours is inadequate. You cant tell a story about a war, rebellion, grand quest or aliens invading with 2 hours.
Ok, now that's a more reasonable take from you :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back