Sports Your favourite pieces of sports commentary

Remove this Banner Ad

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
List them here, some more obscure ones would be good as well.

"If Ronnie Burns was building a house, he would start with the roof." Dennis Cometti on his unconventional style of play.

"And look at the draft he's providing for Duncan Armstrong! Armstrong sailing on the wake!" Yank caller noticing him moving up and sitting up on Matt Biondi.

"Look.. I don't know the bloke.. but I bet he just loves batting against the bowling machine. Sitting there all day smashing the ball back down the V.." This one is paraphrased but David 'Bumble' Lloyd on Shane Watson cheekily taking the piss out of him and his suspect Test batting technique.

List them here, some more obscure ones would be good as well.

"If Ronnie Burns was building a house, he would start with the roof." Dennis Cometti on his unconventional style of play.

"And look at the draft he's providing for Duncan Armstrong! Armstrong sailing on the wake!" Yank caller noticing him moving up and sitting up on Matt Biondi.

"Look.. I don't know the bloke.. but I bet he just loves batting against the bowling machine. Sitting there all day smashing the ball back down the V.." This one is paraphrased but David 'Bumble' Lloyd on Shane Watson cheekily taking the piss out of him and his suspect Test batting technique.
Cometti is going to feature prominently in this thread.

Last edited:
Zaharakis!! Zaharakis has kicked a goal. The Bombers are in front at the G!

Melksham! Monfries! Bombers!!

I can remember a certain piece of Richie Benaud's commentary, circa 1983....can't remember exactly how it went. But went something like " Greg Chappell's got it....there is the record".

Im thinking it was a bowling record for Lillee, but upon reflection, it may have been a record amount of catches for Chappell?

I remember Bruce's commentary of Ben Johnson at 1988 Olympics as being inspiring at the time, but it subsequently lost its gloss after Johnson was done for doping.
Tbf it's quite likely everyone in that race was on drugs.

I remember Bruce's commentary of Ben Johnson at 1988 Olympics as being inspiring at the time, but it subsequently lost its gloss after Johnson was done for doping.
Known as the dirtiest race in history.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are many reasons that make commentary memorable, whether it's clever, funny, iconic etc.

'Got him, yes! Gone! Piss off you're out! That's ****ed his average Tony.'
- Bill Lawry, definitely in real life and not on a 12th Man tape

'Goalkeeper's come, hasn't got there. Harry Kewell... and then poked home by Tim Cay-hill. Australia have done it!
'Aloisi. Cay-hill, Cay-hilllll, Tim Cay-hill has done it again! What a goal by Tim Cay-hill. 2-1 Australia, it's a wonderful moment in Kaiserslautern'
- Simon Hill, 2006 WC

'Across to Heady. Delicate little chip to the run of Matera, suddenly the Eagles are alive. Matera sets sail for home, and the Eagles - have hit the front!'
- Sandy Roberts, 1992 AFL GF

I did enjoy this:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back