Your favourite Preliminary Final.

Remove this Banner Ad

I always remember the 1991 Preliminary Final.

I didnt go but watched on tv as a 10 year old as nervous as anything.

Wet, Freezing day at Waverley. Not the Eagles cup of tea.

But Eagles beat Geelong in the mud with Sumich snagging 6 of the Eagles 11 goals.

Cats given 1 or 2 goals that were clear points.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Was at the 2010 Prelim vs Geelong which was one of the most emphatic finals performances I've ever seen but even still, I can't go past last years Prelim vs the Tigers. Was sitting on the bottom deck at the Punt Rd end next right next to the Richmond cheersquad and prior to the first bounce all the talk from them was how difficult it was going to be for them to get a ticket for the following week. Listening to them piss and moan all game when it wasn't going their way and watching them head for the exits in their tens of thousands before the game had finished was absolute bliss. Up there with the most fun I've ever had at the footy.

I always remember the 1991 Preliminary Final.

I didnt go but watched on tv as a 10 year old as nervous as anything.

Wet, Freezing day at Waverley. Not the Eagles cup of tea.

But Eagles beat Geelong in the mud with Sumich snagging 6 of the Eagles 11 goals.

Cats given 1 or 2 goals that were clear points.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

So many more great prelim finals than Grand Finals.
As a cat fan it’s been fun being involved in many although disappointingly that ‘91 prelim was my 1st ever game.
I’ll vote for ‘99 and ‘16 as a neutral.

Best weekend of footy for the year usually.

Favourite non Crows would be either:

Port vs St Kilda, 2004. That game had everything.

Hawks vs Cats in 2013. One of the most nail biting games in history. That Varcoe miss...

Has there ever been a tied PF?

Clearly 1999 Carlton v ess. No betting in those days but ess would have been $1.05 And blues $6.00 pre game.

Some of the shots that the Dees missed in 1987 before Bucky kicked an after siren goal (with the help of a Jim stynes 15 meter penalty) were bizarre.

I was at a lot of those games and while I appreciate how great the games were, the experience of watching them live was excruciating. I was white as a sheet after the 2014 prelim. Great to watch when your team's not in them.

That being said, this footage sums up what it's like to win a close prelim.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love Preliminary Final weekend, it’s the best weekend of the year. Christmas come early. As a Crows supporter obviously 97 is up there but as a neutral I’d have to say Hawthorn v Melb 87.
My favourite is 1999. Funny enough I seen my team win 5 premierships in my life but 4 of those premierships we advanced straight to grand final from week 2.
1982 was only preliminary final we needed to win, to go on and win premiership.
My favourite Preliminary Final is 1999. Was there and had a good feeling it was going to be a really special day. It sure was.
There is not many seasons there has not been a decent preliminary final.
Since 1994 we had two preliminary finals each finals series.

Essendon v Hawthorn in 2001 was a great game.

Trent Croad had a shot from outside 50 in the last minute to win. It looked like it was going in all the way and then hit the post 2/3 high. If that goal goes in then Croad doesn't get traded for pick 1 (Hodge).

The game was also infamous for Goldspink gifting Essendon 3 goals in the first quarter. Hawks fans never forgave him.
Jess Scolero dislikes this post.

My favourite is 1999. Funny enough I seen my team win 5 premierships in my life but 4 of those premierships we advanced straight to grand final from week 2.
1982 was only preliminary final we needed to win, to go on and win premiership.
My favourite Preliminary Final is 1999. Was there and had a good feeling it was going to be a really special day. It sure was.
There is not many seasons there has not been a decent preliminary final.
Since 1994 we had two preliminary finals each finals series.

Beat North in 1995. Far more enjoyable game than '99, where I went in with no expectations and felt physically ill at half time when we were four goals up.

Beat North in 1995. Far more enjoyable game than '99, where I went in with no expectations and felt physically ill at half time when we were four goals up.
ha ha. s**t, I forgot we had one in 95. Was not a close game. Think we fixed up North by over 10 goals. 99 being so close had so much more memories about it. Wow, physically ill as a supporter. Had not experienced that one yet.

2016 Bulldogs vs Giants.

2009 Bulldogs vs Saints was the most intense game I'd seen up to that point, a Brian Lake brain-fade probably the difference in the end.

ha ha. s**t, I forgot we had one in 95. Was not a close game. Think we fixed up North by over 10 goals. 99 being so close had so much more memories about it. Wow, physically ill as a supporter. Had not experienced that one yet.

Yep, 10 goal win in the wet. Dean and Williams both crunched, Brown rolled his ankle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back