Your favourite things in the US

Remove this Banner Ad

went to san francisco probably 3 months ago (as well as vegas + LA). such an awesome place, you could really spend 3-4 weeks just checking s**t out.

there's so many good gigs there as well, always something on every night. food is awesome and i ****ing loved haight ashbury, i'd just never seen anything like it before. the houses there are amazing.

unfortunately i was only there for 5 nights, stayed in a run down hostel on ellis street.

the homeless situation really hits you, they're pretty crafty as well. i enjoyed listening to their made up stories. probably gave about 70-80 bucks overall to them over my 2 week visit.

went to san francisco probably 3 months ago (as well as vegas + LA). such an awesome place, you could really spend 3-4 weeks just checking s**t out.

there's so many good gigs there as well, always something on every night. food is awesome and i ****ing loved haight ashbury, i'd just never seen anything like it before. the houses there are amazing.

unfortunately i was only there for 5 nights, stayed in a run down hostel on ellis street.

the homeless situation really hits you, they're pretty crafty as well. i enjoyed listening to their made up stories. probably gave about 70-80 bucks overall to them over my 2 week visit.

Thanks anti

I just loved Haight-Ashbury when I was there.
There was a whole breed of New-Punk that was going on and was just full on, to the point that some were carrying around sticks that could have doubled as spears.

Castro is also something else even if you're not gay (which I am not)

With those two out of the way and the obvious Alcatraz, what else would you good people strongly recommend.
I don't mind getting my hands dirty if you know what I mean.

Thanks in advance

Not sure if you want to go through death valley on the way to Vegas, I thought it was overrated, if you're going to Flagstaff, definitely pop into the Grand Canyon, and just before you turn off to the canyon, drive through a little town called Williams, the main street is all decked out in Route 66 memorabilia, I stumbled across it by mistake, but was in a rush to get to the canyon.

Have to put up the hand there jozeph.

I can understand some feeling that way, but go into head first and it is like something from another planet.
Still have my images mounted at home from there. Brilliant stuff

Have to put up the hand there jozeph.

I can understand some feeling that way, but go into head first and it is like something from another planet.
Still have my images mounted at home from there. Brilliant stuff

Maybe it was the fact that I took a wrong turn and once I got back on the right road I was happy to get out of there, also i've driven the trip from adelaide to darwin, and i'm used to seeing flat nothings, DV is good, but I was on the way to Vegas before nightfall.

Whats Alcatraz like? Day or Night tours?

Did night, wasn't dark until we left though so... not sure.

I was a little let down we couldn't explore the entire island... just a little section of it outside and the jail. As the person above says get the audio tour its great.

I enjoyed it but probably wasn't as blown away as I expected I would be. Happy I did it though.

That's really nice of you. :thumbsu:

I personally never had a problem with beggars at all, in any city. Cant even recall being approached tbh... except one time in LA- first time in the States too and had just arrived. The guy turned out to be really friendly (and seemed happy with the dollar i gave him) and had a chat about where I was from.

The people in Paris are scarier, the ones that keep trying to sell you stuff imo...

yep - the people round the eiffel tower near ruined the whole experience.

the people selling water for a buck on a hot day in vegas and also NYC - thatsfair enough cause theyre just sitting there and not hassling

yep - the people round the eiffel tower near ruined the whole experience.

the people selling water for a buck on a hot day in vegas and also NYC - thatsfair enough cause theyre just sitting there and not hassling

I bought water in Vegas. Offers a service that I appreciate.

In NYC the bus tour spruikers are annoying, and so are the comedy club spruikers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I bought water in Vegas. Offers a service that I appreciate.

In NYC the bus tour spruikers are annoying, and so are the comedy club spruikers.

lol, very annoying. If you don't look like a tourist and rush around they wont annoy you. We met a real nice one though, from Nigeria I think, so was more than happy to buy a ticket off him and talk sports etc. Would hate doing that job everyday... and given they get paid on commission you can understand some of the pushy attitudes and rivalry between red and blue bus people. :p

Comedy club people my G-d...going on and on about free beer and something about where Seinfield started out etc.. was tempted to just check it out but honestly didn't have enough time. There is SO much to do in NYC.

I also still have a copy of street rap cd's from a few sellers. Felt sorry for them.. guess everyone starts out somewhere. And LOL at those dudes walking around with large rugs full of handbags etc.. very shady. haha I love that city! Need to go there for a month or so. Would be great to be in IT or something and be able to work there for 6 months and really get to know what its like to live there.

I got my NBA tickets through http://www.stubhub.com/

Cracking site thanks for the reference mate. Me and the wife are heading to the US in March/April and we are (I am) intent on cramming in as much sport the US has to offer whilst there.

Did you have any issues at all with pre purchasing tickets? Any advice would be appreciated greatly... :thumbsu:

lol, very annoying. If you don't look like a tourist and rush around they wont annoy you. We met a real nice one though, from Nigeria I think, so was more than happy to buy a ticket off him and talk sports etc. Would hate doing that job everyday... and given they get paid on commission you can understand some of the pushy attitudes and rivalry between red and blue bus people. :p

Yeah Grayline and Citysights. We had Citysights tickets with our New York Passes. A couple of the guides on the buses were bantering with Grayline tour guides when they were parked at the same lights, and telling us to throw our rubbish on to their bus. haha

And LOL at those dudes walking around with large rugs full of handbags etc.. very shady. haha
Especially at Battery Park I noticed.

I love that city! Need to go there for a month or so. Would be great to be in IT or something and be able to work there for 6 months and really get to know what its like to live there.

We only spent 5 nights in NYC. Next time it has to be 2 weeks minimum. Have even discussed a month at xmas time. I too want to feel like a real New Yorker and soak it all up.

I find myself watching movies now and picking out all the NY spots I have been too. Not so surreal anymore.

Hotdogs at ballgames and shoot-outs on freeways
Skank Vegas hookers, free speech without leeway
Tasered for speeding by pigs on Goldwings
These are a few of my favourite things (in the US)

VicO, been there before many years back and have recently cancelled London and Ireland for San Fran and New York.

Suggestions for San Fran would be very much appreciated for this little duck. ;)

you get some great views at the top of coit tower.

Twinkies for breakfast and supersized yearnings
Worshipping Nascar and creationist learnings
Butt probes at customs for those with east leanings
These are a few of my favourite things (in the US)

Cracking site thanks for the reference mate. Me and the wife are heading to the US in March/April and we are (I am) intent on cramming in as much sport the US has to offer whilst there.

Did you have any issues at all with pre purchasing tickets? Any advice would be appreciated greatly... :thumbsu:

I had no problems at all, when my tickets where ready they were emailed out to me and then I just printed them off at home before we left. We are heading to The Clippers vs Detroit @ the Staples Center tomorrow night.

I'm off to LA for one day, then to New york for a week, Orlando and Miami for a week, back to LA for 4 days, then driving to Vegas and San Fran for another week. How about you?

I haven't actually booked my flights yet, it's just the airfares come down alot after the 16th, so my flight will either be the 16th, 17th or even 18th!

Get to LA 18th for 2 nights
San Fran 20th for 3 nights
Vancouver 23rd for 2 nights
Seattle 25th for 2 nights

Leave for home, back on the morning of the 29th (Sat), playing cricket at 1pm, preferably batting.

Whats Alcatraz like? Day or Night tours?

Ive done the day and night and I would do the night tour, you get a choice of 2 departure times, do the first one so you get a sunset on the boat, plus gives you more time on the island to browse.

The hospital is also only open on the night tour, but only for about 45 mins so be sure to see it. Also talk to the guides and look fascinated, I did so he offered us a look in the dungeons, just myself and 2 others, not everyone gets to do this so even bring it up in conversation and he may take you down.

Well worth a looksy though!

If anyone can offer some advice it would be appreciated.

I am off to Cancun in January for one week, returning via Dallas and LAX to Melbourne.

I would like to extend my stay for a couple of days.

Not keen on LA to be honest.

Should I a) stay in Cancun or b) stay in Dallas for the extra time?

I have never travelled to either of these places before so have no idea really.

Word or warning as if anybody needs it. I used 3 credit cards for various parts of my trip. Someone has been paying for Paris flights on one of them. Fortunately the fraud prevention squad are on to it. I never used my card on anything but reputable sites (or at least I thought so).

Will probably be easy for them to marry up the transaction with a passport number. Apparently I may have to testify or give a statement or something.

I had no problems at all, when my tickets where ready they were emailed out to me and then I just printed them off at home before we left. We are heading to The Clippers vs Detroit @ the Staples Center tomorrow night.

Nice. That all sounds easy enough. Enjoy the game tomorrow night!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back