Panthera Leo!

Debutant
Jul 3, 2009
Launceston
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Arizona Diamomdbacks
What is/are your favourite type/s of racing?

Greyhound
Harness - Trotting
Harness - Pacing
Gallops
Steeple Chase

Or is there another that is MOSTLY or ONLY animal involved?

1. Greyhounds
2. Harness both kinds.

Don't like gallops at all. Stupid looking arse-in-the-air jockeys s**t me. (Unless they fall off!)

I'll only go near the thoroughbreds. I didn't even know there was a difference between pacing and trotting... is that to do with the stand or mobile start? :confused:

Gallops. The cleanest and most majestic.

Im not so sure about this,thoroughbred stewards seem unwilling to look too deep in case they actually find what everyone knows is out there.
And when they do,its usually a slap on the wrist depending on how big your stable is.

I like all codes but only wager seriously on harness racing

seth

Love Gallops, and I am really growing into greyhounds (part own 5 now). I don't really bet on the hounds but love watching them.

Harness Racing is not for me.

I'm happy to listen to the arguments against, but from what I've seen, been involved in and heard, you've got little chance of convincing me otherwise. No code is exempt from it though and too much of it does go on.
And also by cleanest (as well as the obvious meaning), I prefer watching the gallops as well - just find it to be a lot cleaner viewing than the dishlicking scramble.

The simple fact that horses are ridden by jockeys and can therefore vary their pace, positioning...etc depending on different motives (i.e. one horse may bolt to the front and set a pace that a stablemate likes whilst another horse might be blocking the favorite...etc). Dogs cant do this, they're not that smart! The only corruption that happens in dogs racing is when they put some juice in them, but that happens in horses too and I dont think that happens so much these days anyway.

Fair enough :) I'm not going to get into a debate over it lol, the poll is all about personal preference. I won't pretend that I'm without bias either.
The (my) love for, personal involvement in, environmental exposure to and punting interest in thoroughbreds has always (by far) exceeded that of me with the dogs.
I find it easier to sort out the factors in the gallops than in any other code (obviously you don't, that's cool). I trust the information (available and 'inside'), form and integrity of it more - without burying my head in the sand, farrr from it.
And the most important point being a horse lover first, punter second - I also enjoy it far, far more as a spectacle than the other codes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find it easier to sort out the factors in the gallops than in any other code (obviously you don't, that's cool). I trust the information (available and 'inside'), form and integrity of it more - without burying my head in the sand, farrr from it.
And the most important point being a horse lover first, punter second - I also enjoy it far, far more as a spectacle than the other codes.

100% with you here on all points mate.

Atmosphere at meets & a variety of online fixed odds are other pros IMO.

Plus the wimmins during the carnival - now there's where our sport's cleaner! ;)

it's thoroughbreds then daylight for me... its a great punting sport. the great thing about it is that you can rock up at any country track, not having heard of any of the horses - but u can still make something of an informed punt because u know the trainers and the jockeys and you can get a read of the form. and on any given day your 100-1 shot can get up. you can make it as much or as little of a science as you want to.

harness for me is too slow... it's probably more tactical - but movements are made so slowly, its boring.

i don't mind the dogs... but its only for a pissy night out with the boys when you've got money burning a hole in your pocket... it's such a raffle.

i know this is a different debate entirely - but i'm one who would be perfectly happy for jumps racing to be banned. i'm not naive enough to think that thoroughbreds enjoy being whipped - but even so i consider myself a lover of animals, and i just hate the amount of horses dying for jumps racing, which is a sport that we could well do without.

harness for me is too slow... it's probably more tactical - but movements are made so slowly, its boring.

That's what makes harness racing great. It's entirely a technical sport with the correct moves winning the day. It's almost like chess! Horse style!

I get where you're coming from though, it's not for everyone.

i know this is a different debate entirely - but i'm one who would be perfectly happy for jumps racing to be banned. i'm not naive enough to think that thoroughbreds enjoy being whipped - but even so i consider myself a lover of animals, and i just hate the amount of horses dying for jumps racing, which is a sport that we could well do without.

I'm not a fan of jumps either - I cringe every time there's a jumps race on the TV in fear for one going down. Not to mention they're such a risk to punt on!

But if the other option is being sent to the Gai Waterhouse glue factory, I think a horse that's bred to race will be happy to jump so it's still treated like royalty for a few more years.

But you're right, it's a discussion for another day.

My Favourite is the Gallops closely folllowed by Harness.
For me its about the spectacle and Gallops delivers for me.
Also I have long queried drivers tactics in Harness Racing especially in more minor races - same can be said in gallops for the jockeys though as well.
As for greyhounds I dont mind a small punt on them at times but not often

For me though there was nothing in Harness or Greyhounds that can compare to seeing Northerly hold off all comers with the grandstand on his back in the Caulfield Cup or Makybe Diva emerging from the pack to win it's 3rd Melbourne Cup absolute spine tingling stuff
Special mention to Lombo Pocket Watch who I saw win I think the breeders crown when he was 4 back on the pegs got out was checked, held up but then stormed home to win easily that was a great win

Greyhounds > Thoroughbred Racing - Long Distance > Rest

Give me the dogs any day.
I go to the Cairns and Townsville a bit now and then.

Saw the Marathon at Albion Park on the 24th Sep. It was pretty good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back