Universal Love Your finals stories

Remove this Banner Ad

I was a very young filly when taken to 1970's GF. COLLINGWOOD V CARLTON 1970.

I remember my auntie took out her lipstick and a mirror and trying to apply with shaking hands, she was that nervous, and couldn't watch the game. I remember Teddy Hopkins came on and changed everything.
Later, down the track , he became my landlord for awhile in Prahran. Couldn't believe it.
But sadly, that is my only finals experience. Was busy with music and not footy in 90's and early 2000's, but still, 35 year member. And proud to be. Proud of changes to the way our club does things now, and of Carlton Respects. Proud of how Vossy had the guts to turn things around. He simplified his plan. He listened, and so did the players. Everyone grew and listened to each other. Simplified roles and game plan. Increase in want and desire. Directed by Vossy. Filtered through line coaches, senior players and on.
And now, finals once more.
Good.
And you?

Being in Perth, from 1972 to ‘78 my only final’s experience was a copy of the 1970 GF someone at the junior footy club had and they used to show it (using a film projector) every pie and presentation night.

Then from ‘79 just TV, usually on a end of season footy trip in some pub somewhere.

I usually only watch alone or with the kids these days and I reckon this year I’ll be watching at home.

If we get past the first week, I’d like to think I’d jump on a plane and go and watch, but I won’t 😃.

Grew up in NRL heartland, became a Carlton supporter as a young kid in the pre-game of the 1979 Grand Final (I was in a room with 4 Collingwood supporters - it was that easy!). Massive props to Channel 7 for showing the Saturday arvo match of the day nationwide through the 80s and 90s - I don't think it ever rated particularly well in Sydney, but it was a life-saver in the region.

High school in the mid-80s, and my mates were Hawthorn, so they were tough times, and 1987 remains the pinnacle for me. Silvagni, Rhys-Jones, but I also learnt that courage can be hard running in harsh conditions, Bradley's fitness in Q4 and 30 degrees was fabulous, he cracked it open for us, and I was delirious. He was decades ahead of his time.

1995 I was a student at an academic conference in Grand Final week, wound up sleeping rough outside Adelaide Airport the night before the game (and even in late September, Adelaide is too cold for that!), because although I had a plane ticket, I had no money for food or accommodation. Got back to my digs in Perth just in time for a hot shower and to watch the game... which made everything better :) .

I was a very young filly when taken to 1970's GF. COLLINGWOOD V CARLTON 1970.

I remember my auntie took out her lipstick and a mirror and trying to apply with shaking hands, she was that nervous, and couldn't watch the game. I remember Teddy Hopkins came on and changed everything.
Later, down the track , he became my landlord for awhile in Prahran. Couldn't believe it.
But sadly, that is my only finals experience. Was busy with music and not footy in 90's and early 2000's, but still, 35 year member. And proud to be. Proud of changes to the way our club does things now, and of Carlton Respects. Proud of how Vossy had the guts to turn things around. He simplified his plan. He listened, and so did the players. Everyone grew and listened to each other. Simplified roles and game plan. Increase in want and desire. Directed by Vossy. Filtered through line coaches, senior players and on.
And now, finals once more.
Good.
And you?
Don't remember either '68 or '70, was just a toddler for those. '72 I remember vividly - especially as my father was a Tiger. I think I was a very badly behaved son that day!! Dad had his revenge the year after though - strangely, I don't recall that one at all. '79 to '82 was a great time to be a teenage Blue. And so bad for my Pie supporting mate, that he gave up on them and started following Geelong.

Geez where do I start ? 79 GF I was 11 sitting with the old man in the southern stand the finish was the most excitement I’ve ever felt at a game of footy … the 81 GF even when we were 4 goals down in the third always felt we’d get them … the ‘82 GF went with my cousin who’s mate came along and had just been ordained a priest didn’t support anyone until Helen D’Amico came into his line of vision and has been a bluebagger ever since 😂 the ‘87 GF I remember the heat and the knowing that we would never lose given the events of the year before and the will to do it for Des and Mots …the’95 GF what a performance and what a season that was unstoppable … the ‘99 prelim flew in from overseas for the game couldn’t stay for the GF … worked out perfectly lol … and then so many finals within all that lot … the qualifying final at Waverley against the cats Buzz’s smother and goal that day … qualifying final against the hawks where Harmesy ripped them to shreds the dominators performances in every final he played because I saw them all what a wonderful finals player he was. I could go on and on and I have been truly blessed and lucky to witness all of those finals. I’m so happy for all the supporters who will be seeing their first … you so truly deserve it … 👍

I hope you’ve got time.

I hope Aphrodite doesn't red card me but my first GF was 1966. I was an official footy nut at nine years old and the Blues were getting closer to September action. These were the days when you’d camp out at Yarra Park with all the other club supporters and buy your finals tickets for the series.

1967 was my first experience of a Carlton final. We weren’t ready and lost both finals. Richmond in the second- semi and Geelong in the Prelim. I didn’t go to the GF. I saw an opportunity, sold my ticket and went to the Melbourne Show.

I didn’t miss 1968. It was a blustery day. The G was rock hard and it was a struggle. My vivid memory was hearing the siren first and doing a dance of the seats before the others reacted. I can still feel the bounce of the pine.

1969 was a huge disappointment losing to Richmond in the GF. However without that experience there could never have been 1970. When all things seemed lost at half time Barass didn’t berate the players he got creative and the rest is history. I was atop the Olympic Stand with my newly arrived Brother-in-law and I was beside myself with joy at the end of the game. My B-I-L? His first GF and he was crying. God I miss him.

We had a break in 71 but I did attend the famous fog match at the Junction Oval. The pea souper cost us a spot in the finals but we did beat Collingwood at PP in the final match in similar circumstances to the 70 GF.

I’ll get back to this.

Not as lucky (or as old) as many of you.

Only been to 3 finals

99 Prelim. Absolutely incredible. Combination of being such an underdog and Kouta turning into a Greek God. Enjoyed that more than winning the 95 flag.

2011 elimination final. Absolute demolition of *. Glorious

2013 elimination final. I got there just before HT and we won by about 50 points in the time I was there.

Running at 100% right now.

Going to book tix to at least our first final. You're welcome ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My first final was 88 Elimination final V Collingwood. Sat in the cheer squad as a 15 year old with my cousin. I still remember how amazing I felt. It’s a very close second to the 99 prelim. Don’t need to say how that felt. Was hugging strangers at the end 🤣
Wonderful memories and can’t wait to make more even greater ones with my kids now.

Have seen 7 Grand Finals live at the G.

:trophy:1970

:trophy:1972

:trophy:1979

:trophy:1981

:trophy:1982

:trophy:1987

:trophy:1995

Nothing, I repeat nothing gives me more satisfaction than beating the Carringbush on the last Saturday in September on the hallowed turf.

Oh and the Punt Rd Ferals as well.
A worthy queen of Carlton BF

Born in ‘91 and wasn’t old enough to understand ‘95. ‘99 I can remember watching the prelim at home and the GF. Loved my footy by now and a couple years before was when Dad took me along sporadically went to games. ‘99 prelim hooked me for good. Didn’t attend any of the 2000 finals series, but remember Green and Yze tearing us a new one in the Qualifying Final.

Then 2001 got my first taste of a first live final at 9, was going most weeks now. Watched us get over the Crows at the G and then lose to the Tigers and the fateful moment Kouta did his knee. Was devestated.

Didn’t get to experience the 09 & 2010 Elims live, but 2011 I definitely did against * and that day was bliss. Then 2013 happened and our win that day against the Tigers topped that. Judd kicked that goal right in front of us. Then went up to Syd and watched us get beat at ANZ in the semi.

Can’t wait to add to this in a few weeks. Only thing I’m worried about is if we somehow make it to a prelim is I’ll miss my first prelim live being overseas, but would be back for the big dance if we made it.

79 10yo- opposite end opposite pocket to Harmes. I can picture the dive, the crowd told me it was a goal
81- Buckley's goal, then Ashman. I was at that end- back from the dead
I can't complain.like many 5 premierships, 8 grandfinalsby the time I was 30 but I am greedy and want more
My football life saw 23 years of plenty 1978 to 2001
and 20 years of famine 2002 to 2022
You get to a point where the premierships, get mixed up in the distant past of a different world

First one I saw live was 1981 in the southern stand lower level. I thought we'd blown just before 3qtr time, but we got there. My all-time favourite was 1979.
A special one for a few reasons was 1995. It was such a clear win, a validation of a great team and season, we could relax and enjoy it, at least most of us.

My father, who's no longer with us, was a notoriously suspicious man. At half time I was high fiving everone around me, not quite singing the song but bloody close.
The old man was really annoyed with me, "you didnt see 1970, I did, we are NOT there yet, they can come back."
Anyway about 10 minutes into the 3rd I think Greg Wiliams put us something like 70 points up. Beer was flowing and everyone knew we were home.
Around this time, the old boy, nudged me, through tears he said, "I think we've got them son." He was serious. I laughed and hugged him. A great moment, he'd love this right now.

In 1993 and 1995 I remember sleeping outside of Myer at Highpoint shopping center in order to get tickets. That's how it was back in those days.

I remember being heartbroken in 93 as Mil Hanna was targeted and taken out of the game. Eight deliberate tactic by a rotten coach who knew that was how his team would likely win the game. A tactic that he borrowed from his time as a Richmond player. Ask the old timers where the hate of Richmond comes on and they'll tell you.

Mum and I lucked out before the 95 grand final securing the last two seats that highpoint managed to get to sell. I remember going to training that week, the grand final parade, having Jim Wilson come over before the parade and get some comments from Mum and I.
On the way into the MCG Mum was stopped as Brad Pearce was walking into the ground with Matthew Richardson by his side. Mum yelled out. Good luck with Brad saying. Thanks and Richo telling her it was going to be a cakewalk. He was right.

I remember going back to the club that night and celebrating with many Carlton fans. Just soaking in the atmosphere of a dark but open Princes Park. We certain spoke with other Carlton fans and though I wasn't an adult yet Mum let me have a drink with them. Royal parade was going off with celebration.

The family day the next day was fantastic. We saw almost everybody, including some that despite their drunkenness immediately gravitated towards us to say hello remembering us as extended family to a former interstate player.

That week with mum was the best week of my life.

I'm so excited that two or three new generations of Carlton fans will soon be enjoying times like that.

1999 preliminary final vs the scum. Sitting level 2 in the old members stand.

Greatest game I’ve ever been to - by far.

Old man and I giving it to every single Essendon supporter on the way out. Fair to say we had a bit of swagger about us.

One father son combo from the scum sized us up and gave my old man a clip, and I wrestled the son for 30 seconds or so.

Still walked out smiling.

Been to quite a few finals but the two that stand out are a losing GF in ‘93 when I think it was Dean Wallis who took out Mil Hanna was very close to the action and could hear the thump when he took him out.

Scumbag.

The other was the ‘95 GF for obvious reasons was in the pocket/half forward where Braddles kicked the first goal.Was a gloomy day weather wise but Williams kicking 5 and Norm (Kouta was robbed) and the goal to Harry was priceless great day.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Reckon I did this a couple of days ago on the 'Do You Believe', so I won't bore the old baggers, or annoy the children. BUT, (not quite Aph) 5 Live Flags, 3 Looses and the '99 Prelim sits well. My first Bagger Final was '79 GF, wet, cold, scrappy, and Harmesy!! The last one was '99 GF, nuf said.
I've said for almost twenty years '..my club owes me nothing..."; but now I'm starting to think that "...my loyalty is owed a Flag.."
I'm starting to get that Lygon St Limbo feeling all over again, I can sense a swagger starting, maybe even the beginnings of a head wobble, I think I've grown two inches (not saying where), I am starting to look like Leo w***er!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back