Universal Love Your finals stories

Remove this Banner Ad

Fast forward to 8:15 to see Big Nick yelling at Sheedy after Keogh kicked a goal 😀

Thanks for that. It’s weird that after all these years I still get emotional watching these highlights. You couldn’t assemble a team like that anymore but how fortunate were we to watch them go to work.

Southby, a second year player, on his way to consecutive Best & Fairests. Keogh, those dancing feet, preceded Scotty from Adelaide. Doully, pre headband, wearing Royce like a glove. Wallsy, just 22 years of age, courageous and skilful. I could go on and on.

We kicked 28.9.177 that day. We put the cue in the rack at about the 10 minute mark of the last quarter. The last 20 minutes was for celebrating a wonderful achievement.

I remember the Sporting Globe’s headline for the post game summary.

ROYAL BLUES emblazoned in a huge font.

Of course, this laid the foundations of Richmond’s dirty response in 1973 but I’m not ready to relive that memory.

Probably not a great story, but my Carlton supporter mate was heading down from the bush for us to watch the 1993 Grand Final.

He was mad Carlton like myself, but his parents were both Essendon supporters. Back then I only had an AFL Silver Membership (with the Carlton support package) - which didn't qualify you for a grand final ticket - and my mate didn't have a membership at all.

His parents though had Gold Membership, and back in those days, you didn't have to go on line to secure tickets - you just had to get to the ground early and scan in with your pass. And when you walked in, you got some kind of plastic disk that you would place on a seat to mark that it was reserved. You just had to remember your row and seat number if you had to go to the bar or loo etc.

So anyway, because Essendon were playing, his folks were using their tickets - HOWEVER, his old man knew the bloke at the gate in the AFL members. So we all rock up to the ground at about 7am, and when the gates opened, his parents scanned their way in and got their disks to place on seats in what was primarily an Essendon fan based area of the ground. About 15 minutes later, his old man comes back out of the ground holding a couple of pass-outs...next thing you know we're inside the ground.

So we get our disks and find a couple of seats, great spot, ground level HFF surrounded by navy blue. The problem was it was only something like 9am, so had hours to kill before the game. So we waited until the bars opened at 10am, put the disks on the seats, and headed down for a 'few' beers. We eventually got back to our seats over 5 hours later as they were playing the anthem, absolutely pissed as a couple of newts!!!

Thank god the whole game was a total blur - in fact, I think we headed back to the bar sometime during the final quarter never to emerge back out. And I have never watched a replay of that game since.

Probably not a great story, but my Carlton supporter mate was heading down from the bush for us to watch the 1993 Grand Final.

He was mad Carlton like myself, but his parents were both Essendon supporters. Back then I only had an AFL Silver Membership (with the Carlton support package) - which didn't qualify you for a grand final ticket - and my mate didn't have a membership at all.

His parents though had Gold Membership, and back in those days, you didn't have to go on line to secure tickets - you just had to get to the ground early and scan in with your pass. And when you walked in, you got some kind of plastic disk that you would place on a seat to mark that it was reserved. You just had to remember your row and seat number if you had to go to the bar or loo etc.

So anyway, because Essendon were playing, his folks were using their tickets - HOWEVER, his old man knew the bloke at the gate in the AFL members. So we all rock up to the ground at about 7am, and when the gates opened, his parents scanned their way in and got their disks to place on seats in what was primarily an Essendon fan based area of the ground. About 15 minutes later, his old man comes back out of the ground holding a couple of pass-outs...next thing you know we're inside the ground.

So we get our disks and find a couple of seats, great spot, ground level HFF surrounded by navy blue. The problem was it was only something like 9am, so had hours to kill before the game. So we waited until the bars opened at 10am, put the disks on the seats, and headed down for a 'few' beers. We eventually got back to our seats over 5 hours later as they were playing the anthem, absolutely pissed as a couple of newts!!!

Thank god the whole game was a total blur - in fact, I think we headed back to the bar sometime during the final quarter never to emerge back out. And I have never watched a replay of that game since.

Actually sounds like a great story and the best way you could have experienced the 1993 Grand Final.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back