Universal Love Your finals stories

Remove this Banner Ad

Been to 4 premiership games;

1968 - pretty young but remember it as an average windy game. Good guys just got home.

1970 - Astonishing. Loudest and biggest crowd ever.

1972 - Big Nick outsmarts the world. In the rooms after the game and big Nick is fuming that someone had rifled through his gear.

1995 - how grand finals should be. Over by half time. Enjoy coasting home in the second half.

Our footy league played its grand finals on the Sunday after the AFL so 1979, 1981, 1982 and 1987 meant that I had some sort of involvement the next day. 1982 I coached s premiership on the Sunday and 1987 I played in one. Still cherished the catlton flags though.

Hoping to add a few memories of premierships in the next few years.

79,81,82,87 live at the G
95 missed through injury (bitten at work the day before by a redback spider) and watched the game from Box Hill Hospital.
Memories of camping outside PP for tickets with my brother and other Navy Blue faithful.
Opposing coaches Percy Jones and Tony Jewell punching on at Waverley during the break in a final.
The heat of the day in 87.
Jezza being carried off in 79.
The impassable Bruce Doull.
The irrepressible Dominator.
The prodigy Buckley.
To our younger folk here who’ve only known hard times … buckle up … you’re time is coming !!

Bloody spider….

Funny story re 2013 EF - I booked expensive tickets for the match, but it was my wife's grandfather's 90th birthday lunch. My wife and I were in charge of booking the venue. You know what? SUCH a coincidence.... I chose a restaurant in Richmond. Early sitting thanks...

I spent the whole first half refreshing on my phone. Didn't seem I was missing much. I left the party the second it wasn't too rude and bolted to the G. I finally made it to my seat late in the 2nd, right after a Richmond 50m penalty and goal. It was all one way traffic from that point. We won by about 50 points while I was there.

Grandpa's 100th bday next month. It's a good omen.

Grandpa's 100th bday party on 8-Sep. Of course.

I will miss at least the first half.

We will win.

This is the way.

Only Carlton final I have been to was against Richmond in 2001. And that’s all I will say about it.

Weirdly enough, I have been to a few Crows finals, 1997 PF, 1998 PF and 2002 EF vs Melbourne.

A family relative from Adelaide was an AFL member for 20+ years and would take me to finals when he’d come down to Melbourne in September

I went to the GF in 1971. Cowboy Neale hit Peter Hudson and Huddo missed out on on breaking Bob Pratt’s goal kicking record. Saints were home and hosed at orange time before Bob Keddie did a Ted Hopkins. I jumped over the fence after the game and followed the Hawks players as they did the victory lap. Why? I haven’t got a clue.

1972 was manna from heaven. Richmond had so many players with punchable heads. I think we finished top. The semi final against Richmond was at VFL Park and the match was drawn. Richmond won the replay easily. Cue a massive dickhead like Sheedy taunting Big Nick and there laid the seeds of what happened in the GF.

We had to get over the Saints in the prelim and Cowboy did his best to put Jezza into orbit. The only time I saw Jezza lose his cool on the footy field.

The week before the GF. It was Richmond this and Richmond that. Insufferable really. However the Blues had a plan which the Tigers weren’t prepared for. It was a magical day. Jezza 7, Wallsy 6 and Big Nick 6. If you ever watch the replay of the game just watch all of the players getting into Sheeds. Marvellous stuff. And Doully took down Royce from Tasmania.

The celebrations at PP were euphoric. The impatient wait for the boys to turn up at the Social Club. Percy hanging the Premiership Cup within reach of the supporters and getting to touch that prized possession. It still gives me goosebumps.

Only Blues final I've attended was the Semi-Final loss at Subiaco against the Eagles. Was sat 12 rows back in the Western Goal Square. Darling kicked a goal from the square in the last quarter right in front of me and then it went down the other end and Andy Walker was rag dolled at the other end and nothing paid - all she wrote.

Been to
82 87 95
82 - Saw Helen D'Amico run naked across the hallowed turf live, was pretty cool to see as a kid.
95 - Watched a couple of old blokes do shoeys before Danny Ric made them famous

99 Prelim - Watched an 80 year old lady celebrate the win by standing on top of the backs of two seats (yes the bits that your shoulder blades rest on). Then went to the Hilton where me and my mate drank ourselves broke and had to walk home to Thornbury in the wee hours of the morning.

In 1995 , we were scrambling for GF tickets they were selling fast.
Had no option but to go to Victoria Park to see if the ticket booth was open there.
Was greeted by Gubby Allan who told a swarm of around 50 just to wait outside whilst he tried to organised standing room tickets for whoever wanted to buy them.
He came back 10 mins later and and just handed them out free of charge courtesy of Collingwood fc. Bloody legend Gubby

I've only attended one VFL/AFL final, the 1979 Grand Final against the Pies with over 110,000 others.
Me and 2 mates(aged about 19) were gifted 2 adults and 1 child's standing room tickets, managed to get the shortest mate in as a child.
Will never forget the deafening crowd volume, Harmesy's Norm Smith winning performance, Harmesy's tap back into play deep in the forward pocket to allow Keogh's??? goal.
And the victory celebrations, trams choc-a-block, resembling Indian public transport heading to Princes Park and Lygon Street for the after party's.

Highly unlikely that I'll ever witness another one, so those of you who will(hopefully this year), get to the precinct early and cherish the entire atmosphere that surrounds these rare occasions.

Last edited:
Born in 95 so can’t say I remember our last premiership haha.

I’ve experienced plenty of finals and Grand Finals since 2010 but my greatest memories were the 2011 & 2013 elimination finals… Obviously!

The 2013 is an easy favourite however, that was special. I remember how nervous I was in the week prior and during the match. I’ve rewatched it close to 200 times, at a guess.

I’ve never been more excited for a match. It’s been a long, painful journey and us supporters are craving success. Can’t wait until the roar of our first goal. Go Blues!

I've only attended one VFL/AFL final, the 1979 Grand Final against the Pies with over 110,000 others.
Me and 2 mates(aged about 19) were gifted 2 adults and 1 child's standing room tickets, managed to get the shortest mate in as a child.
Will never forget the deafening crowd volume, Harmesy's Norm Smith winning performance, Harmesy's tap back into play deep in the forward pocket to allow Keogh's??? goal.
And the victory celebrations, trams choc-a-block, resembling Indian public transport heading to Princes Park and Lygon Street for the after party's.

Highly unlikely that I'll ever witness another one, so those of you who will(hopefully this year), get to the precinct early and cherish the entire atmosphere that surrounds these rare occasions.
Not wanting to be pedantic but just to help you with a great memory - it was Kenny Sheldon I think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. Well remembered.

Biggest disappointment is the new angle footage that proves once and for all the ball was in the field of play. I wanted Collingwood supporters going through life not knowing for sure. That was the part of the debate that was fun.

I've been to 3 finals, all Carlton vs * with my old man who's an * supporter.

99 prelim - far and away the best game I have been to. I was 8 at the time so I didn't really understand the magnitude of the victory but I still have vivid memories of that glorious day.

00 prelim - unfortunately no one was going to get close to * that year.

11 elimination final - Good day, highlight was juddys speccy in the third. My old man insisted we left pretty soon afterwards 😂

Going to see my 4th final at the age of 32. I'd like to think I'll see more than 4 in the next 32.

I've been to 3 finals, all Carlton vs * with my old man who's an * supporter.

99 prelim - far and away the best game I have been to. I was 8 at the time so I didn't really understand the magnitude of the victory but I still have vivid memories of that glorious day.

00 prelim - unfortunately no one was going to get close to * that year.

11 elimination final - Good day, highlight was juddys speccy in the third. My old man insisted we left pretty soon afterwards 😂

Going to see my 4th final at the age of 32. I'd like to think I'll see more than 4 in the next 32.
Similar age to yourself, but Perth based so have only seen one final live (Semi Final v West Coast), but have seen those games televised.

It's been a tough bare patch for those of us who have experienced the last decade in our 20s with very little success. Reading this thread gets me emotional, makes me hope for the future ahead when we're in our 50's and recalling premierships and prelims.

Onwards and upwards.

Been to a few finals from the late 90s onwards, but the standout for me was Chris Judd's goal in the 2013 elimination in the last quarter vs Richmond. The noise was was spine tingling. Ive never heard anything like it, and will never forget it.
A Crippa goal from 40m on the run next Friday night would lift the roof off.

I watched the replays of a bunch of finals throughout my lifetime last night, including of course, 1995 GF.

The interesting thing about that game was two fold and I'd love some insight from those who remember the era.

The umpiring of holding the ball - there was so much dropping the ball, knocked out in the tackle, half handball stuff - sort of like how the game is umpired now. My recollection from when I was a child and teenager (early 2000's onwards) was that the AFL was really tough on illegal disposal and only recently, say 5 or so years ago, adopted this 'knocked out in the tackle rule'. Question is - Am i completely wrong there and this has always been a rule and was just more strictly umpired in the mid 2000's, or was this a case of rules being umpired less strictly in the grannie and they were just more lenient on the players.

Playing on - wow every single player is practically playing on immediately unless its a mark in or around the forward fifty. Players take intercept marks and just immediately play on without even thinking of stopping. This is contributed to, in part, by the fact that the Cats were down by 50 odd points and needed to make moves to try and come back, but I am always stunned by how quick the ball movement is. This contrasts with say the 1970 grand final which is a lot more stop start once a mark is taken. Was this just a case of it being an explosive game and the Cats being desperate to come back or was footy in 1995 generally like this? Seems like this is what the AFL would want footy to be like now, dream scenario.

Also, jesus christ, how good is Diesel Williams. And Braddles, oh lord.

I watched the replays of a bunch of finals throughout my lifetime last night, including of course, 1995 GF.

The interesting thing about that game was two fold and I'd love some insight from those who remember the era.

The umpiring of holding the ball - there was so much dropping the ball, knocked out in the tackle, half handball stuff - sort of like how the game is umpired now. My recollection from when I was a child and teenager (early 2000's onwards) was that the AFL was really tough on illegal disposal and only recently, say 5 or so years ago, adopted this 'knocked out in the tackle rule'. Question is - Am i completely wrong there and this has always been a rule and was just more strictly umpired in the mid 2000's, or was this a case of rules being umpired less strictly in the grannie and they were just more lenient on the players.

Playing on - wow every single player is practically playing on immediately unless its a mark in or around the forward fifty. Players take intercept marks and just immediately play on without even thinking of stopping. This is contributed to, in part, by the fact that the Cats were down by 50 odd points and needed to make moves to try and come back, but I am always stunned by how quick the ball movement is. This contrasts with say the 1970 grand final which is a lot more stop start once a mark is taken. Was this just a case of it being an explosive game and the Cats being desperate to come back or was footy in 1995 generally like this? Seems like this is what the AFL would want footy to be like now, dream scenario.

Also, jesus christ, how good is Diesel Williams. And Braddles, oh lord.
95 was a special year, every game you turned up just knowing with 99% surety that we would win, including the GF. When you watch the replay, take note of Sticks' face as he heads up the race out onto the ground, that "look", the attitude, we weren't losing that game in a million years.

My first Carlton GF was 79. I was in the MCC members and the ball was just in front of me when the siren went.
I have also seen 81, 82, 87 and 95.
I remember lining up at the Arts Centre for the 95 GF for about 7 hours to get tickets.
87 was a stinking hot day, the hottest GF on record I think.
95 was the most enjoyable because we were so far in front we had time to relax and just soak it all in.
Tickets used to be easier to get years ago.
Not sure if anyone else remembers you could get finals series tickets. I remember lining up at the MCG and got tickets for all MCG games, I think they were standing room only.

I have the vaguest (and perhaps false) memory of watching Bruce Doull walk off the field for the last time in 1986 on the telly. I was 5 then, and didn't really understand.
My folks went to the 87 GF, I was home with a babysitter and siblings. But I remember watching the win. I knew what was going on.

The first final I attended was the 1993 Qualifying Final against the Scum, the first ever night final. We rolled them by 2 points. Sticks kicked 6. Such an incredible night. I was so confident after that.
The following week we went to Waverley to face the Crows. Harry Madden's bouncing run and goal from 50. I wasn't very magnanimous to the Crows supporters.
Then the Grand Final. Just devastating. I thought we were going to win. And I still can't believe that ******* goal umpire paid Long a goal when SOS clearly touched it. I already hated the Scum, but it was absolutely cemented that day.

Was away for 94. Couldn't believe we got rolled.
95 had our toughest game against Brisbane who were on a huge run to finish 8th, and really the 2nd best form team in it after us.
Night prelim against North. SOS absolutely blanketed Carey.

The GF. Was in the AFL members, and back then it was first in, best dressed. I reckon we (my Dad, brother and eldest sister) got there are 5am. We got 2nd row on the wing. I knew we were going to win. No doubt in my mind at all.
SOS did the job again on Ablett. Diesel was absolutely lethal. We had such a good team. Two things that really stick in my memory was Manton kicking a goal late, and his celebration. And then Peter Dean falling off the podium.

I was in Year 12 in 99. I honestly can't remember if I went to the West Coast final, when we, the away team, smashed them at the G, after getting slaughtered by Brisbane at the Gabba week 1. But I definitely remember the radio cross to the rooms after, and Glen Manton yelling "Let's stick it up the ******* Bombers next week!"

The next week. Some of my best friends are * supporters. They gave me so much s**t that week at school, and I just held quiet. I went with one of them to the game. The greatest game of football in history. We sat on the fence on the wing. I remember screaming at Kouta as he ran past us on the wing in the last quarter, knowing he was about to do something (another thing) special. That something special was a pack mark in the goal square. And kicking it straight through. The Fraser Brown tackle. The ball is out. Murphy has it forward of centre. Me screaming "Kick the goal. Kick the ******* goal!" But he doesn't need to, because the siren goes. Me jumping on the seat, my mate in utter disbelief.
I went on holidays the next week, so didn't see us miss the shots we needed to nail to beat North.

2000 and 2001 are a bit of a blur of injuries killing us.

I flew up to Sydney for the day in 2010. Visited my mate who'd just moved to Manly, had a surf with him, then got the ferry then the train to Homebush. Horrible ground to watch footy at. I happened to be seated amongst the Swans players' families. They appreciated that I clearly knew my footy, which wasn't necessarily so for much of the crowd. Judd was absolutely incredible, and we really should have won the game. It was heartbreaking. People remember the Armfield holding the ball, but for me the killer was Waite missing from 35 which would have sealed it earlier. 2nd year in a row that we lost an interstate final that we should have won.

2011. So much tension. We were clearly better than the Scum, but after the last 2 years all the pressure was on us to finally win. We burned so many shots early. And then we blew them away. So much relief, and celebration.
I've still never watched the robbery at Subi. I was at a wedding, checking the scores on my phone. I got blind.

I arrived back from the US the day before the Richmond final in 2013. It made being home from an incredible holiday easier to take.
The roar when Judd goaled in the last was just incredible. Never heard anything like. And then Jeffy Garlett getting one out the back. Me screaming "Run it in!" And Jeffy running it into the goal square.

It's been way too ******* long.
Hoping for more good memories over the next month.

Biggest disappointment is the new angle footage that proves once and for all the ball was in the field of play. I wanted Collingwood supporters going through life not knowing for sure. That was the part of the debate that was fun.
Ok, here's a post GF story that will blow you to the shizenhouzen.

As I've posted before, I was best mates with Harmesy growing up - went to school and played all of our junior footy together before he headed to Princes Park in '75.

Our families headed to the grand final together with the tix that he'd organised beforehand. So after the game, we had a bbq at the Harmes household to celebrate the win, with many many beers and snags during the course of the night. So at around midnight, here was this larger than life figure staggering down the driveway with the premiership medal and Norm Smith Medal around his neck to join us briefly for the celebrations.

Of course he'd had a squillion beers at that stage - he'd only come back to the house for a change of clothes and inform his Mum he wouldn't be home for a 'few' days. So here I am with him having a quiet beer, and of course had to ask him the obvious question if it was in or was it out. And with so many beers under his belt, he wasn't likely to bullshit to his mate.

So the ol' Bamboo got it from the horse's mouth on the night of grand final, but have never passed it on to anyone.

The legend has to continue as far as I'm concerned....and Eddie can choke on it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back