Universal Love Your finals stories

Remove this Banner Ad

1993 kid, haven't ever been to a finals game :(

Actually.... I was there when we won the 2007 nab cup! Lol.

Let's see what i can remember....

95 Grand final, nope don't remember it, im sure i was watching it on tv, having no idea what is going on!

99 Grand final, was at a family bbq. At this point i think i had just recently been bribed by dad, to become a Carlton supporter. I wanted to play footy, was originally going to be a Hawthorn supporter because i was there for Dunstalls last game, mums side is all Hawthorn. Dad said to me, no way in hell you are becoming a Hawthorn supporter, you're Carlton, or you don't play footy! (Thanks dad....)

Kouta was my favourite player because he is greek (obviously). All i remember was crying and running out on the road, with my dad chasing after me lol. This one still really hurts for some reason, i barely knew anything about afl at this point, yet it still hurt lol.

Have no recollection of any of the 2009/10/11 finals. Just drawing blanks, cant remember what i was doing or where i was. (Was a bad period in my life)

For some odd reason, I can't remember our win over Richmond in 2013 either. I've watched the game multiple times, but i just have no recollection of that day. What's odd is i do have recollection of the game against Sydney the week after. I was eating a souvlaki at lambs on chapel street. I must of been watching the game there or checking the scores on my phone.

I've missed alot/not had much opportunity to see finals, so if our window is open for the years to come, i am going to make the most out of it this time around.

Ok, here's a post GF story that will blow you to the shizenhouzen.

As I've posted before, I was best mates with Harmesy growing up - went to school and played all of our junior footy together before he headed to Princes Park in '75.

Our families headed to the grand final together with the tix that he'd organised beforehand. So after the game, we had a bbq at the Harmes household to celebrate the win, with many many beers and snags during the course of the night. So at around midnight, here was this larger than life figure staggering down the driveway with the premiership medal and Norm Smith Medal around his neck to join us briefly for the celebrations.

Of course he'd had a squillion beers at that stage - he'd only come back to the house for a change of clothes and inform his Mum he wouldn't be home for a 'few' days. So here I am with him having a quiet beer, and of course had to ask him the obvious question if it was in or was it out. And with so many beers under his belt, he wasn't likely to bullshit to his mate.

So the ol' Bamboo got it from the horse's mouth on the night of grand final, but have never passed it on to anyone.

The legend has to continue as far as I'm concerned....and Eddie can choke on it.

That’s a great story mate. Got one of my own, my best friend at high school was coached by Wayne Harmes, this was around 1999/2000. I don’t actually remember the club but my mate lived in Resevoir so maybe around those areas. I know he coached at quite a few clubs.

I’m not sure about this one. I still get a laugh when I think about it. In the aftermath of the 1972 GF. Me and a couple of mates are in the car park standing next to the family sedan waiting for my mum to take us home. We’re just watching the world go by and the Richmond players appear taking the short walk from the G to the Punt Rd Oval. You could hear the clip, clop of defeat. Well definitely the most naive of us spies a famous Richmond player and yells out “Flasher”. Me and my other mate look at each other. It was a WTF are you doing moment. Anyway said player drops his kit bag and starts heading in our direction at pace. My mate realising his mistake gathers pace at the same time as the Richmond player takes off with a menacing look on his face. There were still plenty of cars and the weaving in and around the cars reminded me of a Benny Hill sketch. My mate escaped unscathed but it was an important life lesson. Sometimes it’s best to keep thoughts to yourself.

I’m not sure about this one. I still get a laugh when I think about it. In the aftermath of the 1972 GF. Me and a couple of mates are in the car park standing next to the family sedan waiting for my mum to take us home. We’re just watching the world go by and the Richmond players appear taking the short walk from the G to the Punt Rd Oval. You could hear the clip, clop of defeat. Well definitely the most naive of us spies a famous Richmond player and yells out “Flasher”. Me and my other mate look at each other. It was a WTF are you doing moment. Anyway said player drops his kit bag and starts heading in our direction at pace. My mate realising his mistake gathers pace at the same time as the Richmond player takes off with a menacing look on his face. There were still plenty of cars and the weaving in and around the cars reminded me of a Benny Hill sketch. My mate escaped unscathed but it was an important life lesson. Sometimes it’s best to keep thoughts to yourself.

I heard that Helen d'Amico was actually in that same car park, over heard the entire thing and was sitting on her plan for 10 years. Just waiting for the right opportunity.

15m back in ‘88 I reckon (though would have seemed like 50m), certainly was in ‘87 against Jimbo.
Edit: 50-metre penalty introduced in 1988!

Aaron freakin’ Lord in ‘94.
Went to the WACA the day we lost to MFC (McGuane/Worsfold incident), numbed out in the members back when the pass got footy access.

50 metre penalty came in 88

I've been to 3 finals, all Carlton vs * with my old man who's an * supporter.

99 prelim - far and away the best game I have been to. I was 8 at the time so I didn't really understand the magnitude of the victory but I still have vivid memories of that glorious day.

00 prelim - unfortunately no one was going to get close to * that year.

11 elimination final - Good day, highlight was juddys speccy in the third. My old man insisted we left pretty soon afterwards

Going to see my 4th final at the age of 32. I'd like to think I'll see more than 4 in the next 32.

We ran out of players in 00. We didn’t have the depth of Essendon, but we did have peak kouta.

Give us kouta, Braddles and sos for not only that final but the whole finals series we’d have beaten the Dees, and met Essendon in the GF, and I think we’d have run them bloody close.

I heard that Helen d'Amico was actually in that same car park, over heard the entire thing and was sitting on her plan for 10 years. Just waiting for the right opportunity.
Helen casually strolled around the boundary line accompanied by security and walked passed our seats. She was draped in a long cardigan which Starsky pioneered. She looked bemused to me. Maybe she’d had a few. Same look. The fans were booing. Not me. I was focused on the game and a naked lady was no distraction in that environment.😉

Was too young for anything before 1995. Was 12 when it went down so still have great memories of it.

1999 Prelim still my favourite football memory. My best mate, Dad and I drove down to Melbourne for the game. They are both Essendon supporters.

Final siren goes, I'm up and about singing the song. Turn around my Dad and mate are gone. About 30 minutes later I wander back in the direction of the Car to find two very annoyed blokes.

Best 2hr Car ride home of my life

93, even though being a Blues supporter since primary school wasn't until 93 (year 10) that I really began to enjoy and understand the game a lot more and entrench myself in all the rivalries and traditions. Nothing like the smell of spring in the air during pre-lim and grand final days. My hatred for * over the Pies was born of that fateful last Saturday in September (as well as had some * supporting school mates who were the most feral of anybody).

95, year 12, closing out my high school year, exam prep and took the day to savour and enjoy watching the game at my mates house (Pies supporter) and felt so good and just a great memory tying in with finishing high school, year 12 post exam formals and such. My folks who aren't sporty people ended up taking us out for lunch the next day and bought me the Carlton GF premiership hat from Myer CBD (and I ended up buying myself Mechwarrior 2).

99 pre-lim and GF again end of a schooling era.. final year of a double degree at Uni and getting ready closing off assignments and prepping for exams and listened to the pre-lim (3AW Rex) alone at home and rode the waves... then the GF same mates brothers house and just absorbing the moment...

01 - Went to both finals.. first final (EF) went with my boss who was an Adelaide supporter... that was a great game.. and a team that had so much potential with a blend of youth (Whitnall, Fev, Houlihan) with premiership players still sprinkled in with Kouta, Manton, SOS, Bradley, McKay. Then the semi which was the week of 9-11 and the atmosphere prior and during the game was understandably flat and whether as a club we broke a mirror or whatever but when Kouta went down (we shoulda won that game just kept kicking behinds) that was the full stop to the long running version of Carlton being a powerhouse.

Hopefully 2023 is the kick-start to the new edition.

This is all you need to watch :tearsofjoy:

My Carlton/AFL watching in the 1990’s was very stop/start. I have vivid memories of the 1992 GF as my very first experience with the sport. Skip a year and I watched the 1993 GF as a 10 year old and had memories of Mil Hanna and Long’s goal. Basically my only game of the year and my first Carlton game I had ever watched. I knew I supported Carlton, my older brother supported Carlton, so I knew Carlton was my club. I don’t even have recollection of agreeing to it lol, it was just the way it was. Thank * for that. Skip a year and vivid memories of the 1994 GF.

The 1995 season I was a fully fledged follower of Carlton. I don’t remember watching any home and away game on TV but I listened to every single one on radio and even recorded all of them on audio cassette (no, I don’t have them). I would have listened to the QF as well as I don’t remember watching it. I watched the PF on TV and great memory of David Parkin screaming down the phone up around 70 points. Then the GF I watched. Then for the next few years I didnt watch much AFL, except the times I went to those Crows PF’s.

I did get a call from my brother just after the 1999 PF (he was holidaying in Adelaide at the time) and he was so happy Carlton won as he had just finished watching it. I didn’t even know the significance of beating * in that game, but I soon realised as he was explaining it to me. So yeah, I pretty much skipped over a lot of great Carlton memories. But hey, I sure picked a great year to follow Carlton closely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have a confession to make. I have never watched the 1999 PF.
RPCB (dear friend),….this is an Intervention…

We support & love you.

We can’t sit idle and watch you do this to yourself.

Make a commitment, to yourself and to us (your friends), that you will sit & watch Fraser Brown’s tackle, Lance Whitnall’s long bomb (“it’s coming back ….what a goal!”), Murphy’s celebration.

You must sit with it & let it in.

We believe in you!

We support & love you.

Make a commitment, to yourself and to us (your friends), that you will sit & watch Fraser Brown’s tackle, Lance Whitnall’s long bomb (“it’s coming back ….what a goal!”), Murphy’s celebration.

We believe in you!

I didn’t say I haven’t watched them all 100 times before. :D

81, Standing room under the southern could barely see the ground, no sky but lots of atmosphere and die hards
We were down, Harmesey marks and goals start, great last 40 mins
82, standing room behind the goals, city end
d'Amico got us going although Johno and Doullie would disagree
87 was such a hot day and an awesome win and made up for 86
95 a goal fest and the fix for 93
All other finals from 80 onwards sans those post 2001 when I left Melb
Looking forward to being there in a few weeks

The very first game of AFL I ever watched live or on TV was the '99 prelim against Essendon - in an Essendon Corporate Box. I thought it was a funny game played by funny looking runts on both sides- but was quite amused as I watched the hard drinking Essendone supporting suits go from chest puffing confidence to depressed guzzling. Apparently Carlton was suppossed to lose the game or something. I had the window open and sat there enjoying the crowd noise. Never occurred to me to support Carlton let alone become a member - Elliott was a corporate crook.

I did like the Koutafides bloke - thought he had the build and speed of a decent inside centre - he looked like a real footballer. I can remeber laughing at the look of Fletcher and copping a bit of a telling off about from one bloke - don't mind me I said I'm from Sydney -oh he said- sorry mate. I laughed.

A few years later and living in Melbourne I was morally forced to choose a Club to support. Elliott had been axed - I tossed a coin to choose between the two worst teams in the competition at the time- Heads Carlton Tails Melbourne. It came up heads. I've always like the jumper and the colours - but have a soft spot for Melbourne I like their jumper too - very retro red and blue . Have hated Richmond purely because of their colours- in Sydney it was Balmain - famous for winning a grand final against my rabbitohs - by laying down and soaking up time on the clock when they used to keep the clock going even in injury time -fake or otherwise. My rugby Club was Randwick - the galloping greens played there as well - interestingly there is no Club in Melbourne that has red and green or just plain green jumpers. I would have supported any Club with those colours - colour is very important to me. I cant think of any worse combination than B&W prison stripes for example - but any team called 'bombers' well that is beyond sad.

I'm a total AFL nut these days - havent watched a game of either rugby code in years- booooooring.

1972 was manna from heaven. Richmond had so many players with punchable heads. I think we finished top. The semi final against Richmond was at VFL Park and the match was drawn. Richmond won the replay easily. Cue a massive dickhead like Sheedy taunting Big Nick and there laid the seeds of what happened in the GF.

Fast forward to 8:15 to see Big Nick yelling at Sheedy after Keogh kicked a goal 😀

The very first game of AFL I ever watched live or on TV was the '99 prelim against Essendon - in an Essendon Corporate Box. I thought it was a funny game played by funny looking runts on both sides- but was quite amused as I watched the hard drinking Essendone supporting suits go from chest puffing confidence to depressed guzzling. Apparently Carlton was suppossed to lose the game or something. I had the window open and sat there enjoying the crowd noise. Never occurred to me to support Carlton let alone become a member - Elliott was a corporate crook.

I did like the Koutafides bloke - thought he had the build and speed of a decent inside centre - he looked like a real footballer. I can remeber laughing at the look of Fletcher and copping a bit of a telling off about from one bloke - don't mind me I said I'm from Sydney -oh he said- sorry mate. I laughed.

A few years later and living in Melbourne I was morally forced to choose a Club to support. Elliott had been axed - I tossed a coin to choose between the two worst teams in the competition at the time- Heads Carlton Tails Melbourne. It came up heads. I've always like the jumper and the colours - but have a soft spot for Melbourne I like their jumper too - very retro red and blue . Have hated Richmond purely because of their colours- in Sydney it was Balmain - famous for winning a grand final against my rabbitohs - by laying down and soaking up time on the clock when they used to keep the clock going even in injury time -fake or otherwise. My rugby Club was Randwick - the galloping greens played there as well - interestingly there is no Club in Melbourne that has red and green or just plain green jumpers. I would have supported any Club with those colours - colour is very important to me. I cant think of any worse combination than B&W prison stripes for example - but any team called 'bombers' well that is beyond sad.

I'm a total AFL nut these days - havent watched a game of either rugby code in years- booooooring.

The mighty Basin Bears have that unusual combo of colours.

We support & love you.

We believe in you!
If not, we can resort to slightly more forceful methods.
Screenshot_20230831_124706_Google.jpg

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back