Your first car

Remove this Banner Ad

My first car was a 1980 Toyota Corona liftback, it was a 5 speed manual and drove like a tank that was slow to accelerate and hard to manoeuvre so not the easiest car to learn how to drive but it held me in good stead when it came to driving other cars that were a lot easier to drive like automatics.

1981, I'm 18 years old, and my old man bought me a 1973 Datsun 180B (burnt orange). Ah, the freedom. It was gutless, but still served me well for a few years.
I had an auto 180B
Yeah gutless is a reasonable term, but then my mate has a 120Y and I could beat that up a hill

One of my mate's first cars was a Datsun 120Y and it was a piece of s**t that got yellow stickers for being unroadworthy.

The clutch was stuffed too so it was prone to bunny hopping or maybe it was just that my mate was a s**t driver.

79 Commodore! Mum and Dad bought it for me for $350 when I was 15 and then Dad and I fixed it up got it looking good then a few years later I think I was about 18 or 19 I rear ended someone on the way home from TAFE and sold the car for parts shortly after :(

I wish I had kept it looking at the market for them these days!!

1987 VL Calais Turbo in 2000. bought for $8500, a good one is worth about $40k now

loved that car
They were always collectable from they moment they came out. I can't remember them ever being cheap cars that nobody wanted like other old Aussie cars went through before getting sought after again.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

97 Commodore Esteem...was in great nick when I bought it and took back up north but life in the Pilbara did not agree with it. Gave it to my old man after a few years when I bought a Commodore wagon when kids came on the scene. Pretty certain it ended up as scrap somewhere, as did that peice of s**t wagon haha

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had an auto 180B
Yeah gutless is a reasonable term, but then my mate has a 120Y and I could beat that up a hill
they were fun cars. good for a bit of dirt roadin..

They were always collectable from they moment they came out. I can't remember them ever being cheap cars that nobody wanted like other old Aussie cars went through before getting sought after again.

i wanted a VL when i upgraded from the Gemini, just out of my price range at the time so i ended up with a VK

Anyone know if my dad give me a car for free and a few months later I sell it for $3k do I need to declare that on my tax ? Is it a capital gain?

You could get decent power out of the old Holden 6's by putting some work into them but those RB30's would be content with an airbox and exhaust and off they go.
I grew up in a VK 202, love the VK but no doubt, that engine was at least half a decade past its used by.

A shame the exchange rate with the Japanese changed for the worse for Holden after they made the deal with Nissan, so they ditched them ASAP. Used a Buick engine for the VN then eventually back to their own engine for the VR.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back