Senior List
Mar 5, 2014
The mysterious East (of Melbourne)
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
The Arsenal
Want to share your first time with us?

What did you try, did you like it, what were the repercussions?

My first try was with some generic brandy my mum bought to put in a cake (Innkeepers brand I think)

I was about 14 and it was way too much for my childish palate so I didn't drink much

When I was about 15 I started drinking red wine with meals after my sister married into a more "middle-class " family (it was the 1970s)

Started having beer aged 17 and liked it way too much

Now in my 60s I have an occasional red or single malt but I've gone right off beer unless I'm dying of thirst

West Coast Cooler was the first drink I got wasted on. I loved that s**t when I was 18. Haven't had one for years. Do they still make them?

Stole a bottle of Kahlua out of my grandmas cupboard when I was 12. Vommited a lot. Blamed it on Corn. Grandad made me clean the entire bathroom and buy another bottle. Out of my pocket money I was saving for that sick rage against the machine alum I wanted

Weird thinking about pulling a shamed primary school kid and being made to buy a bottle from the bottleshop under supervision to teach me a lesson probably wouldn't float today

My parents being the great examples that they were went to an open for inspection when I was maybe 8 or 9. It was an empty house, already moved out of, but had an unopened bottle of kahlua in the kitchen.

They grabbed it and made me smuggle it out to the car in the jumper I was holding.

My mother was pouring some later that day and I asked if I could taste. She poured a shot in the glass and went to the fridge. I drank it thinking it was what she'd poured for me. No, she was going to the fridge to grab milk. So as an 8-9 year old my first experience with alcohol was a straight shot of kahlua.

My first experience with "real" drinking wasn't much better. 14yo, day off school, secret party. I ended up paralytic and nearly drowning in my friends pool.

My first experience at university was the day before orientation and I had a painful headache after a big night pub crawling without ID as a 17 year old.

First experience - stealing a beer from dad's beer fridge in the garage and going down the creek to drink it, may have been 13 or 14 i reckon. Had about 3 or 4 mouthfuls and hated it, tipped it out. Beer was VB

First experience getting drunk - year 9 i reckon, about 15 yrs old, at a mates place camping out in their paddock on the premise we were just camping and having good fun as 15 boys do (a group of about 6 of us) - we walked to the local town and asked someone to get us a slab and a bottle of bourbon. Again i hated the beer, maybe had 2 and had some bourbon. Got drunk but not too bad. They were fun times.

From that point on we did campouts every couple of months, also had older brothers who would have parties when folks were away so my brother would let me have some of his beers or his mates home brew.

My dad gave me a brandy and coke when i was 15. Wasnt a fan.

First time getting drunk was ar a party when i was 16. 3 of us combined our money and bought a case of Lemon Ruskis. Think i had 8 or 9. Didnt vomit but really wished i did all that day.

First experience - stealing a beer from dad's beer fridge in the garage and going down the creek to drink it, may have been 13 or 14 i reckon. Had about 3 or 4 mouthfuls and hated it, tipped it out. Beer was VB

First experience getting drunk - year 9 i reckon, about 15 yrs old, at a mates place camping out in their paddock on the premise we were just camping and having good fun as 15 boys do (a group of about 6 of us) - we walked to the local town and asked someone to get us a slab and a bottle of bourbon. Again i hated the beer, maybe had 2 and had some bourbon. Got drunk but not too bad. They were fun times.

From that point on we did campouts every couple of months, also had older brothers who would have parties when folks were away so my brother would let me have some of his beers or his mates home brew.
similar over here.

I used to get paid 40 bucks a week to do the bins at an office after school late in the week. used to steal the Lifesavers from the Rotary donation tray at the front because I heard the boss made up the difference at the end of the month and the boss was a dickhead. got bored of that so spied some Carlton Mids and chucked a few in my school bag. I used to go surfing at about 4am with my mates and one day convinced one to bring some beers. we had about four mid-strengths and two stubbies of James Boags Premium had about two warm mouthfuls then threw them into an inlet. would've been 14, maybe 15.

got really curious about it around that time but the only kids doing that sort of thing were straight up shitheads. I just went to one of those schools where everything was 12 months behind.

I remember a fella I knew all my school life lived across the road and for a while I'd go to his every few afternoons. his old man worked in the government and wasn't home until 7 most nights. I remember this guy grabbing a stubbie out the fridge once and just pouring it into a glass each, he was trying to act aloof and cool and like he did it all the time, but it was good fun. never got much more than a very mild buzz.

first got drunk on a farm as well – my mate's mum was mental and the old man was constantly absent, but they had a 'bedsit' which was actually a nice old house with a mezzanine. there was a bit of a subtext that night that it was going to go down. I reckon there was one beer between about 10 of us. mixing absolute dross like Midori and spiced rum and I remember it just hitting me and it feeling like something was really happening. I think I was 15.

barely touched it again until I started going to parties around year 11. my old man would buy me a carton because it was cheaper and probably less of a pain in the arse. I was allowed to take a six pack every time I went out.

it was good fun organising where to meet, where we could drink, how we were getting a lift. think we had one spot of bother the whole time.

probably by the end of that year i was drinking every third or so weekend, in retrospect the best ones where just 20-30 of us all from the same year level, same school, all just playing some music and having a laugh at little house parties. there were a couple of houses where kids had somehow moved out, they must've turned 18 early or something. wild. I first smoked pot at one of those. this kid in the exact same position as me goes "mannnnnnn that's goooood s**t" two seconds after bum-sucking a joint. classic.

think I got over it by the end of school. i'm a pretty heavy drinker now but that's just my personality. my parents never drank around me but it was very normalised, looked at the same way as sex, it can be very fun but just take care of yourself sort of thing. got into a bit of a habit when I first went to uni of drinking seven or eight beers by myself. I wasn't 18 for the first few weeks so couldnt do all the o-week stuff and discover what clubs I liked whereas everyone I lived with had a gap year.

similar over here.

I used to get paid 40 bucks a week to do the bins at an office after school late in the week. used to steal the Lifesavers from the Rotary donation tray at the front because I heard the boss made up the difference at the end of the month and the boss was a dickhead. got bored of that so spied some Carlton Mids and chucked a few in my school bag. I used to go surfing at about 4am with my mates and one day convinced one to bring some beers. we had about four mid-strengths and two stubbies of James Boags Premium had about two warm mouthfuls then threw them into an inlet. would've been 14, maybe 15.

got really curious about it around that time but the only kids doing that sort of thing were straight up shitheads. I just went to one of those schools where everything was 12 months behind.

I remember a fella I knew all my school life lived across the road and for a while I'd go to his every few afternoons. his old man worked in the government and wasn't home until 7 most nights. I remember this guy grabbing a stubbie out the fridge once and just pouring it into a glass each, he was trying to act aloof and cool and like he did it all the time, but it was good fun. never got much more than a very mild buzz.

first got drunk on a farm as well – my mate's mum was mental and the old man was constantly absent, but they had a 'bedsit' which was actually a nice old house with a mezzanine. there was a bit of a subtext that night that it was going to go down. I reckon there was one beer between about 10 of us. mixing absolute dross like Midori and spiced rum and I remember it just hitting me and it feeling like something was really happening. I think I was 15.

barely touched it again until I started going to parties around year 11. my old man would buy me a carton because it was cheaper and probably less of a pain in the arse. I was allowed to take a six pack every time I went out.

it was good fun organising where to meet, where we could drink, how we were getting a lift. think we had one spot of bother the whole time.

probably by the end of that year i was drinking every third or so weekend, in retrospect the best ones where just 20-30 of us all from the same year level, same school, all just playing some music and having a laugh at little house parties. there were a couple of houses where kids had somehow moved out, they must've turned 18 early or something. wild. I first smoked pot at one of those. this kid in the exact same position as me goes "mannnnnnn that's goooood s**t" two seconds after bum-sucking a joint. classic.

think I got over it by the end of school. i'm a pretty heavy drinker now but that's just my personality. my parents never drank around me but it was very normalised, looked at the same way as sex, it can be very fun but just take care of yourself sort of thing. got into a bit of a habit when I first went to uni of drinking seven or eight beers by myself. I wasn't 18 for the first few weeks so couldnt do all the o-week stuff and discover what clubs I liked whereas everyone I lived with had a gap year.
"mannnnnnn that's goooood s**t" two seconds after bum-sucking a joint. classic

Wait, it's bum-puffing, right?

A glass of Jacks and Coke when I was 14 at a party. 1 sip felt like a sledgehammer

My Dads Swan Gold was probably before but that was lame

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had a sip of my dad's VB when I was about 3 and started crying from the bitterness, ended up trying to wash my mouth out with coke. Gave beer another go at 16, nicked one of my uncle's stubbies and drank about half of it while playing Xbox and tipped the rest out in the backyard. Didn't get drunk until I was 18 but haven't stopped drinking socially since.

Jim Beam. Me and a mate managed to get a bottle when we were 14 ( year 9) . We thought it would be an awsome idea to see who could skoll the most in one go and then proceed to stand on our heads against a tree to make it go to our brain quicker. Holy Fckn s**t were we drunk... I ended up staggering to a near by park and was woken up from my comotose state by the park gardener...he was kicking me softly in the ribs and repeating over and over " You fckn Toe-rag ...get up ! you fckn Toe rag..... I managed to get up and stagger home. When i walked in the front door i no doubt looked a pale shade of green.. my mum asked what was wrong and i said i had eaten something bad, she bought it and i went to bed. The next day i went for a s**t and it was pretty much straight bourbon coming out. I havnt been able to drink or even smell bourbon since.

I first smoked pot at one of those. this kid in the exact same position as me goes "mannnnnnn that's goooood sh*t" two seconds after bum-sucking a joint. classic.

Hahahaha ! I miss those kinda moments when i was young. Funny as Fck.

My father convinced me to have wine instead of coke at a restaurant. Around 0,3l or so in a pitcher. Didn't like it, so I drank it quickly so I could order something else. Hadn't eaten for 8-10 hours (that's why went to restaurant firstly). World turned kind of blurry. Probably was 12-13 at that time.

Actually only developed my taste for booze once I was 18-19. It's a way of life nowadays...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back