Your first number

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey everyone, so if all goes according to plan, our pitiful little band (bet 75% read that with a darth sidius accent) is about to get one more member greater the day after Anzac Day.
In 1994 I got my first dees jumper and demanded the old girl get the number 2 on the back as a tribute to the great man stinger. I thought it might be a great sentiment to get Boris jnr a mini jumper with the #2 on it. I am a little worried about chunk not re-signing with us but I'm sure that's just the tightarse in me not wanting waste coin on another jumper.
Anyways given the lull in action lately just thought I'd see what your first number was and who wore it?

Hey everyone, so if all goes according to plan, our pitiful little band (bet 75% read that with a darth sidius accent) is about to get one more member greater the day after Anzac Day.
In 1994 I got my first dees jumper and demanded the old girl get the number 2 on the back as a tribute to the great man stinger. I thought it might be a great sentiment to get Boris jnr a mini jumper with the #2 on it. I am a little worried about chunk not re-signing with us but I'm sure that's just the tightarse in me not wanting waste coin on another jumper.
Anyways given the lull in action lately just thought I'd see what your first number was and who wore it?

11 Greg Wells.

First jumper with a number on it was 11 for Christmas in 2012 from Mum. She said it was 'because of Jim Stynes' (also got me his biography, so the story checks out) not that other bloke who wore it recently.
If I get another jumper I'd probably get 34 on it. Being a ruckman myself, I was always fond of Jeff White, Stef Martin (briefly), etc. Maybe 37 if Gawn turns out alright.

Cool, that's my pre 80's ignorance coming out.

We've been making diabolical decisions for over 30 years.

I appreciate we were cash strapped, but think of the ramifications posed by discarding your captain. That said, they were different days and our first merger talks in 1986 weren't far off due to our plight, so it's difficult to be too harsh from afar.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

7 - Kowal

You followed up this baffling decision with the greatest oxymoron of a username ever! :D

Will say Kowal was a very nice bloke though on the occasions I did meet him.

I thought it might be a great sentiment to get Boris jnr a mini jumper with the #2 on it. I am a little worried about chunk not re-signing with us but I'm sure that's just the tightarse in me not wanting waste coin on another jumper.
am I missing something here, has he made any noises about not playing on at the dees? I would find it so out of character if he put in a trade request, just can't see it happening myself, I feel like he's stitched into the MFC fabric.

am I missing something here, has he made any noises about not playing on at the dees? I would find it so out of character if he put in a trade request, just can't see it happening myself, I feel like he's stitched into the MFC fabric.
Yeah I'm 99% sure he'll sign and it could well be done by game 1. You just never know.

First jumper I bought from an op shop and it came with the number 32 on the back. I didn't want to walk around with Damien Gaspar's number on my back, so I ripped the 2 off and got a 4 sewn on for Jeff White's number.
My second jumper I got 11 as a tribute to Jim, the number on it has since been tainted with the signature of another former #11.
Now I have a new AHG jumper, but waiting to see what Gawny is wearing next year before I get a number put on - he might stay in the 37, but he did once mention to me that Jim was also his hero growing up and has favourited a couple of my tweets demanding we give him the #11.

I've owned three jumpers, two throughout my childhood and one now. Sad to say that not one of them has a number on the back.

Should i have a number? probably, like most. Meh i'll just cop out and go with what youngbear said

Remove this Banner Ad

Back