Your First Swans Game

Remove this Banner Ad

It was either 1997, or 1998.

But it was Collingwood vs Sydney

Lockett kicked a bag

And the Swans got up with a win.

However, the one that clearly stands out, was when I was 7, I saw Matthew Lloyd kick 13 at the G in 1999. Not a great day.

I reckon that was the day the great Gerard Healy kicked a 65m torp from the boundary for a goal, one of the greatest kicks i've ever seen from one of ours and robbie lets not get that scum mixed up with St Scum

Don't remember much of the match other than my father being excited at the result when the siren went, and singing the song which has stuck in my head ever since.

As for mixing up scum from St Scum, as long as we put the "St" in front we know who we are talking about.

1978 South vs Richmond at the Lake. Was 3 at the time but still made a fully grown Tiger supporter fall over me during a half time kick to kick. My mum saw it on telly and gave the old man a rev up when we got back home. Went to Ken Trennery's pub after the game and it was full of South stalwarts, earliest footy memory!!! Carn The Bloods

1978 South vs Richmond at the Lake. Was 3 at the time but still made a fully grown Tiger supporter fall over me during a half time kick to kick. My mum saw it on telly and gave the old man a rev up when we got back home. Went to Ken Trennery's pub after the game and it was full of South stalwarts, earliest footy memory!!! Carn The Bloods

at half time you may have witnessed (i think closer to 80 coz I was under 10's)a game with the little league if you remember (the real one) South against exact opposite red gurnsey with a white v (wagga related) no one knew at the time me included but the move to Sydney had been planned,I know coz I got asked to represent Wagga but didnt know why at the time but they were short, Bobby Petris asked me and others to help out by playing against my own club as a publicity stunt, I wish I knew what was going on at the time as a kid...

at half time you may have witnessed (i think closer to 80 coz I was under 10's)a game with the little league if you remember (the real one) South against exact opposite red gurnsey with a white v (wagga related) no one knew at the time me included but the move to Sydney had been planned,I know coz I got asked to represent Wagga but didnt know why at the time but they were short, Bobby Petris asked me and others to help out by playing against my own club as a publicity stunt, I wish I knew what was going on at the time as a kid...
Bob Petrie infact Bez, i played in the first ever Swans little league team which was u/11 but i think we were all about 12. We made the prelim. which was half time to Collingwood V Melbourne with a crowd of 72,000. Bob is a Life Member of the Swans for his work over the years in the LL and now lives in Tassie, a great fella.

The first game I saw was in the Telstra Dome against the Bombers in 2005. Bloody brilliant game... I think the swans won by a kick in the end!! Tadhg got us tickets for the game and there was a big bunch of us lads from Ireland there cheering him on!! I think that was my first game of live footy that I saw and it was a cracker!!

Was back in the Telstra Dome for the Hawks / Carlton game where Buddy kicked his 100th goal - that was some occasion as well!!! amazing to see that many people on the pitch (and not get fined!) and Fev getting so close to his own moment in the spotlight!

The first game I saw was in the Telstra Dome against the Bombers in 2005. Bloody brilliant game... I think the swans won by a kick in the end!! Tadhg got us tickets for the game and there was a big bunch of us lads from Ireland there cheering him on!! I think that was my first game of live footy that I saw and it was a cracker!!

Great game! First game i went down to Melbourne and watch (before watching the 05,06 GF) and what a cracker i chose to watch.
Luke Ablett's best ever game for us as he was inspirational in the 2nd half winning alot of contested footy. Boy he was good that game.

Also famous for the Mickey O'Loughlin Off (leg?) break goal where he deliberately kicked it with the outside of the boot from 50, aimed it to the left side of the goal post and the ball landed on an angle so it could break back towards goal.

Pure genius.

First game i went to I think was the last game at Waverly... in 1999... I remember dad taking me... us loosing and crying on the way home... (I was only 8)

The first Swans game I would of watched would of been the last game of the 1995 season against Collingwood (Leo Barrys first game our whole family was watching it)

1984 v Richmond at the SCG, a bloke who was involved in local Aussie rules in Wollongong (ex-home) and the St George club in Sydney took me to see Arthur Chilcott (local boy) playing one of his few senior games.

We had to sit behind these little old ladies in Richmond scarves, knitting (more Richmond scarves) before the game started. When it did start, they turned feral, spewing some of the most outrageous foul-mouthed abuse you could imagine at the Swans, who were getting smashed. That's where I first developed my hatred of Richmond, which has subsided in recent years because it's hard to maintain hatred for a team so crap.

In dressing rooms after the game I discovered how scary an angry Ricky Quade could be; I think he lost the coach's job soon after.

Round 11 1978 South Melbourne v North Melbourne VFL Park (Waverley)

Can't remember much other than Dad taking me that day and we lost. I also remember spending most of my time ('78-'82) dressing up in in full South Melbourne gear - jumper, sock, shorts etc. hoping everyone would think that I was going to be playing in the Little League at half time.

In the end, I did grow up to play in the Little League at Waverley back in the days when it was full length, end-to-end. Unfortunately, I was playing for the 'Aints :( Dad said I was more interested in seeing myself up on the big screen than chasing the ball :eek:

I was at that game. Our banner wasn't ready before the game so they ran through it after half time. We lost.

My favourite though was in 1980 when we beat Collingwood at home. Francis Jackson poleaxed Ray Shaw. I'll never forget it. And Teaser took a screamer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, Sydney v Hawthorn was the last game. It was windy and cold. I remember sitting in the carpark for ages waiting to leave.

Are you sure about the cold? I know Waverley Park was always referred to as Arctic Park, and I had warned the person I went with that day about how cold it would be, but we were sitting in the sun and we were actually hot, in our winter clothes.

Are you sure about the cold? I know Waverley Park was always referred to as Arctic Park, and I had warned the person I went with that day about how cold it would be, but we were sitting in the sun and we were actually hot, in our winter clothes.

IIRC i thought it was quite warm that day too. I got there with a mate and couldn't find a seat. Had to stand all game half way up the stairwell as it ends and turns the other way uptowards the seats. Just near the shitty scoreboard.

Seen some magic games none the less there including the beauty against richmond in round 4 1996.

I reckon it was warm as well, crap day though as we were smashed

I'm pretty sure. Might have been a different Hawthorn v Sydney game at Waverly. I just remember forgetting my beanie and freezing to death. All I remember is wind, could have been sunny though.

I'm pretty sure. Might have been a different Hawthorn v Sydney game at Waverly. I just remember forgetting my beanie and freezing to death. All I remember is wind, could have been sunny though.

hmmmm there was the game we won aginst the hawks at waverly in the wet in 96.... ? not a spare seat in the house under the stands, but you had enough room to swing a cat anywhere you chose down below.

hmmmm there was the game we won aginst the hawks at waverly in the wet in 96.... ? not a spare seat in the house under the stands, but you had enough room to swing a cat anywhere you chose down below.
I lived in Sydney then. Moved to Melbourne in 97 so I might be thinking of a different match. I only went there once so it was either Dogs in 98 or Hawks or Saints in 99. Probably not Hawthorn if others were saying it was warm.

I think you are confusing the game with another game there, because apart from being hot, I certainly dont remember it being windy either. I remember it well purely because I had taken the trouble of warning my friend how cold it would be, we both rugged up and she never let me live it down. If there had been some wind it would have been refreshing from the heat.

Bob Petrie infact Bez, i played in the first ever Swans little league team which was u/11 but i think we were all about 12. We made the prelim. which was half time to Collingwood V Melbourne with a crowd of 72,000. Bob is a Life Member of the Swans for his work over the years in the LL and now lives in Tassie, a great fella.

your right mate it was Petrie and I think Daryl Flanagan aswell? You should tell us a bit about the first team, how it came about etc, I played in the last couple of yrs of the little league before the schools took over, and even filled in for a few of them when Mr Petrie rang my mum, I can honestly brag about running onto the all the grounds (playing full length i remember taking about 10 bounces along the wing and didnt get from chb to chf) including the MCG in front of 90000 screaming fans all cheering me on, well really they were going to the dunny at halftime etc but I didnt think that at the time, they were all watching me...:thumbsu:

My 1st game..South Melbourne VS Richmond at Lakeside Oval, maybe 81? Remember flicking Drink Can Tops (for those that don't know, Soft Drink cans used to have Ring Pull Tabs.Google it kids) at Francis Bourke & ducking behind the fence when he turned around...he he

My 1st game..South Melbourne VS Richmond at Lakeside Oval, maybe 81? Remember flicking Drink Can Tops (for those that don't know, Soft Drink cans used to have Ring Pull Tabs.Google it kids) at Francis Bourke & ducking behind the fence when he turned around...he he

I remember doing that, but you couldnt use just any pull tab, they had to have the two little slots and youd use the flap as the spring lol, made me remember playing 'flicks' with our footy cards, I use to spray laquer on my 'special' flick card, and pull it out when I was in trouble and needed to win, it flew like a bullet...:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back