Misc Footy Your football career

Remove this Banner Ad

2005-2007: Junior Footy Field Umpire (9s to 15s).

2008: Goal Umpire WA amateurs, C grade predominantly.

2015/2016: Goal Umpire NTFL. 18s, Womens, Men's Div 2.

2016/2017: Goal and Boundary Umpire NTFL. Premier League debut for Goals. Boundary Umpire debut and also Boundary Umpire debut in Premier League.

2017: Goal Umpire, WA Amateurs. A Grade debut.

U14s: started as an 11 year old missed the 12s as they needed players in the 14s. Played in 2 losing grannys in 3 years including a 1 point loss in my last year. Also an interleague rep as a 14yo.
U16: played 2 years in 2 more losing grand finals, bnf in my last year as a to age and played for Gippsland power in the carnival.
U18: first year was a lean year as I played only half a year through injury team missed finals 8th in bnf. 2nd year was my breakthrough flag as I played every game, we won the granny by 4 points in a last quarter comeback. Won the bnf that year and got the opportunity to try out for Gippsland powers squad but the quality of midfielders in the squad meant I missed out.
Seniors: played 4 games of seniors and went well playing inside mid, did my ankle missed out on 8 weeks came back played 1 more game did my back. Year over.
Seniors year 2: played the first game of the year in reserves and had a blinder, preceded to play 5 senior games after that then did my back again. RETIRED.

Haven't played since as I still have back troubles at times, have recently moved to Melbourne and looking at getting my body right for one more crack.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Played from 1990 to 1998. 13 to 22.
1990 forward flanker under 17s. Lost GF
1991 Coach though i could be a centreman like my old man. Wrong. Forward pocket. Kicked 30 goals in under 17s.
1992 FF under 17s at 15yo. Busted ankle round 1. Ended up with 36 goals in 12 games. Won GF.
1993 FF under 17s. Kicked 107.49 in 18 games. Lost GF.
1994 Not good enough for North Ballarat Rebels. They had 50 kids in their squad and i was prob ranked 51st to 120th. Under 18s in Sepastopol coached by Geoff Rosenow (ex Geelong). We won 1 game and he played me in every position and i relished it. I Iove that man for giving me a football education that season. Still found time to kick 30.4
1995 Went back to the bush playing reserves. Kicked 30 goals but wasnt playing much and was in and out of the team.
1996. Transferred to another team in the same league. Played reserves. Kicked 40.10 in a variety of forward roles. Got close to getting picked to the seniors. Lost SF.
1997. Still playing reserves. Kicked close to 40 goals again. Middle brother joined team. I looked after him and he always tried to find me. Lost PF.
1998. Still playing reserves. Kicked almost 40 again but heart wasnt in it as we were as a family were moving to SA at the end of the year. Lost SF.
Once we moved to SA i got into hospitality and worked weekends (still do) bit did miss it. Now 41 and 24 weeks into a broken leg from a bike aaccident. Metal rod and screws in my tibia means playing is over but once i recover i plan on boundary umpiring next year. Someone told me i kicked 330.115 ish at 74% and i thought it was normal but told thats actually pretty good. But we practised 20 shots at each end after every training session in those days while the defenders worked on their kick out patterns snd the mids on their centre bounces and throw in set ups.

CLUB GAMES: 4 Senior games. 37 games in u15s and u17s (stopped playing in 15-16 resumed in 17)
SPAN: 2013-2014 2017-
HONOURS: once got 6th best
PREMIERSHIPS: none, Am yet to play a final
REGULAR PLAYING NUMBERS: wore 29 through all of my U11s u13s and u15s and when i moved clubs i got number 2 and have thankfully retained it in the B grade. Which is hard for a first year player.
NUMBER OF COACHES PLAYED UNDER: 4
NUMBER OF TEAM MATES: Probably 60-70 odd

This thread brings back memories,

Played Auskick for 2 years, U9, U11's, U13s, U15, U17 (preseason)

Played at the one club for just over 10 years (Loyal :p), a few games of my 100 game medallion :mad: due to a broken leg in HS just before the season started.
Picked up a few of the coaches awards at the end of my later seasons and a room full of participation trophies :cool:

Got selected to train with South Freo when playing U15 but was too busy doing what young teenagers do.

I played full back my whole career, Was never really good off the lead but 1+1, controlling the backline and seeing the play unfold was how I got the footy...Similar to Rance - McGovern style of defender, Seeing the play and being in that spot

Few years later, Broke my leg, Missed the entire season and had to hang the boots up...Still annoys me till this day, Breaking my leg!
I believe I could of got to the WAFL...I really do but the chips didnt fall my way...Now I work in an office typing about my glory days hahaha...Life

After not playing for 8 years decided to make a come back this weekend for my local country team.

Always wondered why my dad stopped playing footy so young and didnt want to leave myself wondering what couldve been. Fair to say im shitting myself haha
And how'd that go?

Never really wanted to get into this stuff on this board, but I guess it couldn't really hurt. Thankfully as I have aged I have come to accept my averageness so there shouldn't be any delusions of grandeur.

Little league: Kicked a bag of 6 in my first year of under 8's. Cracked it when the umpire took the ball off me lining up for my 7th because 'i'd kicked enough'.
Played as an undersized full back in a game in under 10's on the best player and beat him. From that day on I was a natural defender.

Through junior footy had a couple of top 3 finishes in the B&F. Usually always top 5 or 6.

Havent grown a centremetre since I was 15. I currently stand at 5'9 and a half so back in juniors that helped me play all key positions.
Played on Jack Ziebell for a full game once. He kicked 6 and I got best on ground because it was the least amount of goals he had kicked in a game for that whole year.

Made the NSW/ACT Rams squad in 2006 but was getting sick of footy by this point. Training in summer was something I hated, and these trials were kicking off in December. Went to one session, got the free shirt, then never went back. Still regret it. Nothing would have come of it but it halted by development.

Didn't play when I was 17 and 18 because playing in a band and drinking with mates was more important.

Went back when I was 19 and was shocked to discover how undersized I suddenly was. Had to reinvent myself as a small defender.
Toiled for 2 years playing reserves footy poorly. In my third year won most improved player, then after that finally cracked through for a couple of senior games.
Unfortunately by the time I was 24/25 our club was going through a rebuild and even as a 24 year old I was the third oldest player in the seniors one game. Got dropped after one of my better games and never played another senior game for that club.

Changed clubs (and leagues) for 2016 after never having played a final and since then have played in 2 senior grand finals for 2 losses.
Last year was an interesting one. Missed 6 games during the season due to study commitments. Played reserves until round 14 because of my unavailability. Only played the 8 games in the 2's but was enough to come 3rd in the B&F. 2's went on to win the flag and we lost in the seniors, so going back up meant I missed out on a B&F and a premiership in the reserve grade.
This year was going along really nicely until on Thursday I was blindsided by being dropped for a bloke who rocked up on Thursday night right before the clearance cut off. Been played out of position all year (half forward/wing/bench rotation) and was finally starting to adjust and play some decent footy. Now after this I am really frustrated and not all that keen for the rest of the season. Always prided myself on being the hardest trainer and most professional in regards to recovery and standards (won't drink between Sunday and gameday for example). But now it seems like, at the age of 28, there is no point trying so hard when you have a coach who would happily turf you for an untried player. Reserves are undefeated currently and seniors sit at 8-2. Most likely going to be this coaches last season, and I love the club i'm at now so hoping to just get through the end of this season with a smile and play more senior footy before he moves on.

The real frustrating part is being 28 and having only played 35 games of senior football. The 'youth' policy of 2014/15 killed off two potential years to get the games tally up, then studying last year did the same. Still want to retire having played 100 games of senior footy AT LEAST. The ONE thing I will confidently say is that I have been too good of a player to have only played as many games as I have. Would never be a top 5 player in any team, but certainly have deserved more opportunity and luck than i've experienced in my 10 years of footy post-juniors.

And how'd that go?
Not too bad actually played a couple more games since and been moved from the wing in the middle so must be playing alright. Will never be more than a ressies footballer but its good fun to be back playing even if we lost by 158pts this week

game, we won the granny by 4 points in a last quarter comeback. Won the bnf that year and got the opportunity to try out for Gippsland powers squad but the quality of midfielders in the squad meant I missed out.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

who were he other mids also competing for your spot? any of them get drafted?

Junior Years:

2013 - C Grade. The interstellar season. The season went on the be the best in my lifetime. We won every game of the season and I made impact's throughout the whole season. Just when I thought i would never have a Grand Final opportunity, and after searching for victory and suffering defeat after defeat every season.... the day came. The GF was finally here. We won the Premiership Undefeated. But unfortunately, I didn't win it. I was dropped for the Grand Final by the coach who chose a new player who came from a higher division and never played a game or trained with us. He told me not to take it personally but he was putting the team first. Teammates were outraged that I didn't get chosen and I was devastated. Winning the flag after playing the whole season being loyal at training and every game and missing out the Final was bittersweet beyond belief.

THIS goddamn bullshit. Had a mini-version myself last week. Played two senior grand finals the last 2 seasons. Played all this season then get dropped after a 7 game winning streak for a bloke who rocked up right before the clearance cut off. Feel your pain on a lower end of the scale. Couldn't imagine missing the granny for the same reason.

U13C's won coaches award
U14B's won the premiership
Reached A grade in U15 and 100 game milestone with that as well.
In my last game I managed to kick 2 goals which ended up kicking the opposition team out of the finals. This was especially sweet consider I'd only kicked 1 goal that year, 3 over all in my career and the team we knocked out was the team we beat in the Grand Final the year prior). A perfect finish.
I played HBF for most of my playing days but coach switched me and my brother up on the wings in U15. Probably should have done it years ago as we played a lot better footy that year.

Sometime in the summer period of the late 80's

Ring, ring.......ring, ring.........ring, ring........click.............

Me: "Snake Baker here."

Footy coach: "G'day mate, I know it's February and 37 degrees tomorrow, but we're starting pre season training tomorrow, so bring your running shoes and head down to the clubrooms at 11:00 am"

Me: "I have retired from football"..............click (cracks tinnie)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Footy was definitely interesting for me. Started with an over abusive father yelling at me from over the fence whilst trying to get a kick in the under 9s (played for Frankston) so you can imagine the Leauge was a bit rough, pines YCW, langie blue/white Seaford tigers, pines ect.

Was ok, but for some reason like a lot of kids the CBf factor really kicked in about under 17s was just playing for a few cheepy posies and hopefully a snag or 2. Then the desire to hang out with girls took over training priorities dropped. Played midfield in my final year, won the flag and got a wristy after the match from one of the girls at school. I then retired and turned my attention to alcohol and sleeping in on the weekends.

No regrets

Remove this Banner Ad

Back