Misc Footy Your football career

Remove this Banner Ad

I just thought it could be interesting to see how peoples careers shaped out. I'll get it started.

1999 - I played u9s and u10s. In u9s we had a rotation policy in our league (SydneyAFL Northwest). My rotation went FF-Ru-FB-FF. Our u9s team was pretty good actually, but I don't recall the exact details, the league had no finals and it was just for fun. But I was good enough to play up into our u10s teams most weeks, and I even appeared in the Grand Final that year, I played FP and HFF for them. Ps, my nickname was "Sparkles" at this stage. Something about my eyes :oops:

2000 - I played u10s, as our team was a foundation member of SydneyAFL West, and the league was small there was no u9s, so under the old rule they still kept the roation going, this time I was Ru-FF-FB-Ru. My team had grown larger so it was split, I was in the Red team, funnily enough, the White team was supposed to be the better team, they had the 3 best players who were eligable for u10s and played there (best played u12s). Yet somehow we beat them all 4 times we played them (practise match, in season x2, and a final). In the Prelim Final I kicked our teams only goal. Was a close game though, IIRC it was 4.4.28 to 1.4.10. I know we scored 10 and I know if we had kicked straight we would have won.

2001 - I played u11s, but moved from Penrith to North Ryde. A bad rule at the time allowed us to play 3 u12s in our team, so our FB one of our 2 best midfielders and another player were out there for us, they helepd us finish 2nd only losing to the undefeated team that year. I kicked 2 of my 4 goal games this season. Both against Drummoyne.

2002 - I played u12s, our previous coach was ousted, and our new coach was a moron, he was playing politics, oh lets move my son from BP to wing, move the assistant coaches son from wing to FF, lets move the proven FF to FB, lets play the worst player in the team at BP. Heck, I was told that year "Do not go off the goal line, just stand there and mark the ball that lands on the goal line" In short, my man (the FF) always dominated as he could just lead and if I followed him to defend, the coach would just rip my head off for leaving the line, as because if i were there, I could touch the ball on the line :rolleyes:

2003 - u13s, thankfully that moron ****ed off, but the new coach still left me at FB, though, the team was kinda middle of the road now so I was in the game a bit, but I was now allowed to defend. I was ok. Just a little annoyed about the coach for 1 thing. You give me 2 1/2 quarters for the year in the forward line, and I kick 4 goals that game equalling my PB, was against Blacktown. 12 goals between me and the twins. (5 to HFF, 4 to me, 3 to FP). Surely you would have seen a potent forward line, but no, mid 4th I'm moved back to FB and don't reappear in the forward line again that year.

2004 - u14s, finally, another coach, kept changing positions throughout the year, but the team sucked, we won the wooden spoon. But I did enjoy the win as it was against the team 3 of my mates from school played for, and I kicked 3 goals that game, 2 vs the mate from another class, and 1 vs the mate from my homeroom. And the CHF got 5 that day, 4 vs the guy from my class, and 1 vs the other mate. So those 2 gave away 8 of about 10 goals that day as we won :p Also played my 100th in this season. Was looking very promising, we were up against 2nd at 1/4 time, and we were last FFS!, we had devised a new tactic. We confused the s**t out of the opponents midfield, we had the Ruckman, FF and FB all in the midfield, we all lined up to ruck and the opponents midfield didn't know what to do in their setup, we exploited their ruckman and killed them in the guts. Then the FB got exhausted due to his asthma and had to leave the midfield. We had no plan b, they ended up beating us comfortably but we did have a lead at 1/4 time and was still in the balance at 3/4 time. Could have been the greatest upset I would have played in, and it would have been my 100th as well. Oh well.

2005 - u15s, I got sick of losing and moved to another team, it was the team who dominated 2001, and I believe won the 2002 grand final as well, but they fell short in 2003 and 2004 as their main competition gained Geelong's Ranga Ediriwickrama. Forrest (who I played for) recruited heavily that offseason, they got 2 rep players (1 of which became Collingwood's Scott Reed) and 1 of them brought me along. I was a good contributer, started the season as the ruckman and was beating all in my path, then one day I come accross a NSW Scholarship player, ****ing Anthony Stubbs. He deimated me that day, we put Scott in the ruck and he broke even, the next week I was up forward, and I booted 3 vs Westbrook (the team who were back-to-back). Throw those 2 weeks together and I'm now the FF the team has missed since about 2003. Injuries (Scott) international representation in sailing (Our Rover - Scholarhop player to North), State representation (2 of our midfielders and probably our 3rd and 5th best players, and our CHB - Freo scholarship player) decimated us, we went from going head to head with 1st, to being at the same level of 4th. We finally got the whole team back on the park for the final h&a game for the year, then our CHB (Freo scholarhsip) BP (3rd key defender) and myself (FF) got injuries, we all played the next week but myself and the BP shouldn't have been out there, we were that stretched for numbers. And Scott and our Rover (2nd best player, international sailer) were 2 games back and wern't fully fit. In short, we lost to 4th in the 1st ginal.

2006 - u16s. That team was decimated, Scott to Pennant Hills, my mate went to Balmain (but I didn't want to play there as I didn't like some of the morons there), and most of the team went to North Shore. I went to Pennant Hills but in the juniors as Scott was seniors. We were middle of the road as the best teams were decimated (Westbrook lost players to Pennant Hills seniors, Baulkham hills lost players to East Coast Eagles) so it was even, I played FF this year. We just missed out on finals, I tied my pb of 4 in the last game of the year.

2007 - u18s 2nd. Pennant Hills again, but now the seniors. I started in the ruck, was pretty good as well. Got a win over Penrith this year who I last played with in 2000. In the 2nd game for the year I still loved 1 play. We're deep in the pocket, not much of an angle between the goals, the mate from school was going "Rigg hands, hands" I snap the ball out of a pack, split the middle and reply to him with "Why should I?" and my facial expression was basically :p. A few rounds later we played the best team in the league who had another NSW scholarship player in it, I think it was one who made the St Kilda squad. Can't recall the name though. He killed me in the ruck, the next week the backup from the 1sts came down and he had the starting ruck spot for the whole year. I was moving around a little now that my spot was taken, FF, CHB, was servicable. One of my favourites plays was a game at Macquarie University. I was at CHB, beat my man one-on-one had a penetrating 40 metre kick on a switch to a man open by himself, 1 handball, run, bounce, bounce, kick, mark, kick, mark, set shot, goal. Was a great play, and the crowd was shocked at how easily I beat my man as people called me "Diesal" at this stage. Something about that's what it takes to get me going as I'm a truck or something. Great play, loved it. Still moved around a little for the rest of the year, but then in the final h&a match for the year, our starting ruckman injured himself on the opening bounce. I then have to play the last 79:30 of the 80 minutes match. Oh well, played my best game ever. Dominated our most hated rivals in the ruck, contributed around the field. We killed them, and i killed my man the most comprehensively I ever have. Still can't believe that guy made AFL :eek: and is still there (for Sydney) :confused:. Was rewarded the next week in the finals, got to start in the midfield. Too bad it was the day after my year 12 formal o_O Yeah, slept over at a mates after the afterparty and I turned up in a suite :oops: Oh well, actually played pretty well for a quarter, but their team was inspired and was beating us pretty badly around the field, I guess a team would do that when their assistant coach died from cancer that week. 1st game that year that we played they won by about 5 goals, 2nd game was my first and only draw, this time we couldn't play some of our best players as they had played too many games for the 1sts and 1sts had a bye that week. Normally they could play but they thought we would top up our team with those who qualified for us. And 3 of the better u16s players couldn't play for us because their Prelim was that week while it was just our Elim. Anyway, we were still in it at 1/4 time, but then I was moved out of the Ruck then for the regular guy and we got destroyed from then on out. Last game in Sydney.

2008 - Ressies/3rds/u18s - Moved to Adelaide, Spoke to Barrie Robran, he suggested Broadview. I went there. But had missed the pre-season, was unfit, couldn't crack 1sts as too unfit. Had to play ressies. Was ok in the ruck but couldn't run out a game int he guts, moved up forward, but the team was that bad that the ball never got up there (though, I found it amusing, the 1 time vs Salisbury North it got up there was the 1 time I pushed up to the HBF to get the ball). Due to not getting near the ball up forward and not running out the 3rds, I went to the 3rds. I went better there, even dominated down back one game. Worked my way back up to 2nds but I was still only a fringe player due to fitness (though, I knew if given a shot up forward in the 1sts I could prove myself on skill), was going to go back to 3rds again but I didn't want to, so I pointed out I was still eligable for 18s, went back there, was good in that team. But I didn't know anyone, I wasn't being given a chance in the ressies, and I didn't like the 3rds. Left mid year.

2013 - Going to get back into football, eyeing off a couple of ammo teams. Will decide later. I want to play again (And my fitness is now better!)

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Me: Underachiever. Always had really good skills but lacked determination and willingness to get fit. Like most blokes on this forum, if I had a few other things work out for me, I'd be playing AFL... All my family are over six foot, but I'm sitting at about 5'9/5'10 and waiting for the growth spurt. I should be on North Melbourne's list!

policegetthatman

Club Legend
Suspended
Feb 1, 2011
WA
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I stopped playing footy when I was 13 due to knee injuries, however kept up kicking with mates etc and was better than them all haha.

Not to sound like a wanka, but I put my hand up for having the skills, pace, athleticism and smarts for at least state footy but my body was just never suited. I finally put on some weight when I was 17 ( 6 foot and 67ish kg) although still struggle to put much on.

Hayden Crozier from Freo has similar a height and weight and athletic ability as me - although I don't have that good of a jump! Interesting to see how his body goes.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
I stopped playing footy when I was 13 due to knee injuries, however kept up kicking with mates etc and was better than them all haha.

Not to sound like a wanka, but I put my hand up for having the skills, pace, athleticism and smarts for at least state footy but my body was just never suited. I finally put on some weight when I was 17 ( 6 foot and 67ish kg) although still struggle to put much on.

Hayden Crozier from Freo has similar a height and weight and athletic ability as me - although I don't have that good of a jump! Interesting to see how his body goes.
Same here. I have the Crozier/Seedsman type build. I'm 18, 5'10, and 63kg at the moment. The worst thing for me is genetics, it's really dented my confidence. Being average height, you really need a decent build. When rakes like Josh Bootsma get drafted, they're always towering at 6'3/6'4ish. I never had much speed, and I can only run out three quarters. My dad always drilled it into me: Have a nice kick on your right and left, be able to handball, have a nice mark. But aside from that, I'm just too mediocre...

MrNatural

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Indiana Pacers
My career has been hampered by injuries and lack of fitness, but ill tell the story.

Played Vic/Auskick till i was about 11 and decided to start playing for a team.

1999 - Starting playing for Devon Meadows U12s in the Mornington Pennisula Junior Football league (MPJFL). Played the year mostly as FB, and we struggled for most of the year and only won a handful of games. Missed a portion of the season due to a broken arm (motorcross stack). Still finished high in the BnF, may have won it if id played the whole season.

2000 - Up to the U14s. Played a pretty minor role all season, playing FB & HFF for the most part. Slotted a few goals here and there, but played alot off the bench being a first year U14s player. Was a shortened season due to the olympics, but we happened to go 7-7 and made the finals. So far this has been the best winning record ive been a part of and the only time we made finals.
Played the first final against a team that had beaten us twice through the season, somehow managed to win and went onto the prelim. Came up against a tough Pearcedale outfit and lost.

2001 - U14s. Became a senior member of the team. Again played mainly FB and played pretty well. We were competitive but didnt trouble the wins column too often and missed the finals.

2002 - U16s. Bottom aged player. Much like 2000 i spent most of the games on the bench and came on and kicked a few here and there. Again we struggled and finished with only a couple of wins.

2003 - U16s. Top aged. Was named in the leadership group. Had a good pre-season and was earmarked to play FF for the year. Started the season poorly up forward, so was switched to the HBF.
Had arguably my best year to date. Played a designated kicker role and managed to go forward and kick a few here and there. Team was competitive but again missed the finals.

2004 - Moved to the senior club and joined the U18s. The team was great on paper. Picked up a number of quality players from Cranbourne and we looked the goods early in the season.
Personally started well, slotted a couple of goals in the first game, but then got a heavy tackle late in the first game and hurt my shoulder. Wasnt anything major, but cost me couple of games on the sidelines. In that time the team lost a couple of tight games, which was unfortunate.
Came back after a few off and was playing mainly as a swingman, either as a BP or FP. But then late in a game at Langwarrin got tackled heavily again and dislocated the shoulder. Off to hospital, team goes on a slide, losses players to the senior team.
Made it back, played a few more games, then bam again the shoulder goes. Decided to give the rest of season a miss.
Then during the off season the shoulder popped out mucking around with a mate, so was then told it was time for a reco and would miss the next season.

2005 - U18s. Season was basically a write off, but i still trained with the team and did the running duties. Got to late in the season and the club was struggling without a win. Got talked into playing the last couple of games. Just sat at FF for most of it. My first game back, i happened to have a measly 3 kicks for the game, but all were goals. Team ended up winless for the season.

2006 - The shoulder was feeling good, but i felt i wasnt ready for reserves/senior footy, so was keen to arrange a permit to play 18s again. However my current club werent obliging and decided to give permit to another player.
Then i heard that Tooradin (club down the road) were starting up their U18s club again after not having one for several years, and were looking for the players and the league were allowing more permits than normal. So decided id move clubs.
Had spent most of my career as a fwd or back, but being one of the more experienced in the team, was plunked in the centre. Although being quite unfit...
Had a great season personally. Got leather poisoning on a number of occasions, but the club seriously struggled. Lost most games by big margins and only won one game.
However, it was a great season on a personal note, and i felt i was then capable of going up to senior footy.

2007 - Did pre-season with Tooradin, but most of the blokes from the U18s didnt stay on, and i still had mates at DMFC, so i decided to switch back.
Had a slow start to the season, but eventually was moved down back to fill the designated kicker role and flourished. Kicked goals and played well.
Team was competitive but didnt make finals again.

2008 - Had a poor pre-season, put on a few too many kg's, but played well in the praccy games.
Got to Rd 1 and missed selection. Wasnt happy.
Pushed for selection again the next few weeks and got picked, but for some reason the coach just didnt rate me anymore. Had a falling out with a few of the guys, got a hammy injury and thought it was best to leave and start new.
Contemplated retirement and spent the year on the sidelines.

2009 - Wasnt planning on playing, had lost the passion. But then was asked to come down and play at Dandenong in the SFL.
Played a few games and had a bit of fun, so figured id have a good dip in 2010.

2010 - Did most of pre season. Played 1s in the praccy games, but started the season in the reserves.
However, 1st q of first game, twisted the knee badly. turned out id damaged the ACL and cartiledge. Had surgery and put on extra weight.

2011 - Didnt play

2012 - Focused on getting into shape. Lost about 25 kgs and feeling good. Looking at starting new in 2013.

So im hoping i can add to my story next year, hopefully i can get on the park and stay fit.

My player profile would have to be someone who has the talent and skills, but was never in shape and had too many injuries

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Losing 25kg is awesome. I think I'd struggle to even put on five kilos.

Also, what's a decent footy competition in inner Melbourne? I'm currently just trotting around in second colts in the WAAFA (the VAFA equivalent for Perth). I'll be 19, so that means I won't be able to play colts, right?

MrNatural

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Indiana Pacers
Losing 25kg is awesome. I think I'd struggle to even put on five kilos.

Also, what's a decent footy competition in inner Melbourne? I'm currently just trotting around in second colts in the WAAFA (the VAFA equivalent for Perth). I'll be 19, so that means I won't be able to play colts, right?

Lucky you!!

You looking to play in Melbourne or you just curious to know?

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm definitely looking to play. I enjoy having a kick and I always play really well in my first few games for a club, so I'm looking forward to the debut! At the moment, it seems I'll be going to Swinburne uni so I'll probably play for the Swinny Razorbacks. I think they're playing in the VAFA.

How hard is it to play for Fitzroy VAFA? That's a bit of a dream. It'll be as close as I will ever get to playing for an AFL club.

MrNatural

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Indiana Pacers
I'm definitely looking to play. I enjoy having a kick and I always play really well in my first few games for a club, so I'm looking forward to the debut! At the moment, it seems I'll be going to Swinburne uni so I'll probably play for the Swinny Razorbacks. I think they're playing in the VAFA.

How hard is it to play for Fitzroy VAFA? That's a bit of a dream. It'll be as close as I will ever get to playing for an AFL club.

TBH, being from the SE Suburbs, i dont know much about the inner Melbourne leagues.
But from all reports the VAFA is a pretty strong league

Sorry it's so long, Sorry if you get bored reading it :confused: But here it is:

My Footy Career So Far….

I haven’t really been a great player, I’m alright, I don’t usually get much of the ball, I can do good things at times but I mainly just because I just love playing and putting in my best effort.

2003 – Started playing Grasshoppers (Under 7’s or 8’s, something like that) at the age of 6 for West Croydon in the Metro West Junior Football League (MWJFL) in Adelaide. There were also no finals in grasshoppers. This club is important to me as it was my dad and uncle played for (with different types of successes) after the folding of their previous club and it was also where my late Great Uncle ran the bar and was a huge supporter of the club. Anyway as I was only 6 I can’t remember….well.…basically anything.

2004 – Played my second season of Grasshoppers at West Croydon. Once again can’t remember anything from playing there, except for regretting not going to trophy presentation to get my trophy L.

2005 – Quit club footy for some reason (can’t remember why) and just played footy for my new school, Grange. I played in the Year 2/3 team. No finals in school footy so were just playing for fun. Not that exciting. And apparently I took a specky up the goal post, which I can’t remember doing (always brought up by mates).

2006 – School footy yet again but for the year 4/5 team. The only thing I remember is taking a mark running back with the flight of the ball. I was pretty stoked.

2007 – Second year of 4/5 school football. I mainly played ruck/forward from memory. I remember kicking a goal from near centre of the ground. It was obviously an extremely small ground. But I also helped out the Year 6/7 team each game because they needed numbers.

2008 – Ok now I’m starting to get some memories of my football. I continued playing school footy on Saturday mornings. This year I was in 6/7’s but my school didn’t have enough players for a team so we had to merge with another school and go play for them. It was Fulham North Primary School and I mainly played ruck/forward again. But there was this one game where I was played on a wing which is strange because I’m a big boy and wasn’t very fit. I also snagged a few goals J. This was also the year I came back to club footy. I decided to play for SMOSH West Lakes, once again a team in the Metro West Junior Football League. I was supposed to be playing under 12’s but we didn’t have enough players and neither did the under 13’s so we merged together and I had to play in the under 13’s. Thankfully the coach I had was someone who coached me in school footy for 3 years. I didn’t really have a good year. In each game I played I only got a couple of touches. It was hard for me playing in a team above my age group. In each game I would play half in ruck, half up forward. Didn’t kick any goals for the season. It was also the year I suffered my first and only broken bone. I managed to break my nose going to pick up the footy but my face went straight into the back of some guys head. Blood everywhere. Our team also weren’t that good it was a 4 team competition so we were playing good teams each week. We had about 3 surprise wins for the season but we finished last. Because it was only a 4 team competition we still made finals. Unfortunately we got flogged.

2009 – Last year of primary school, last year of school footy. Back playing for Grange, I was voted vice-captain. First time I have been a leader for anything. Had a pretty good year played alright, played just about every position, kicked a few goals, team was alright. I won the Best Team Man award. First footy trophy that wasn’t for participation J. Second year at SMOSH, I played in Under 13’s again (in my right age group this time) and the same coach. So really, I have played under the same coach for 5 years. This year the Under 13’s expanded from 4 teams to 5 teams. Same concept as they year before. In each game I would play half in ruck, half up forward. This time kicked 5 goals in the season. However, I occasionally had to play full-back on the opposition teams main forwards. I thought I done a pretty good job doing this when I had to as well. We won a few games this year but it was against the same team every time. We made finals again, got flogged again in the first round. In this year I made the Western SAPSASA Football Team. SAPSASA is South Australian Primary School Amateur Sports Association. It’s basically just a representative team that plays in school week long carnival against other zones. Western was obviously the zone of my school. My first representative team.

2010 – Under 14’s still at SMOSH West Lakes. Finally have a different coach (which was probably one of the best coaches I’ve had), once again playing ruck/full forward. This year we had 10 teams so that was good. I started the season well kicking 4 goals in the first game which is nearly the same amount I kicked in two seasons. I then kicked 3 the following week. I mainly played the first half of the season in ruck but I kept getting knee soreness, so they just put me up full forward. I didn’t kick that much goals but I still think I had a pretty good year. I kicked 22 including 5 in one of them which is a new personal best. We finished 3rd I think, could have been 4th so I went into the finals thinking I might finally win a match in finals. We lost again. But it is probably the best year of footy I’ve had.
2011 – Under 16’s. The club didn’t have 15’s so straight up to 16’s. The Under 16 competition was separated into 2 divisions. Some clubs had 2 Under 16’s some had 1. Some were in A’s, some in the B’s and some in both. We had one team and we were in the A’s. The stronger clubs/ teams play in the A’s and the other clubs that need help play in the B’s so they have a decent chance of winning games. Different coach again and a whole new coaching staff I have never had before. It was one of the toughest season I probably have been through. It started at pre-season. Probably the toughest thing I have ever had to do. There was plenty of running which I wasn’t my greatest aspect. Each training session we would do something like 3 sets of 12 70m sprints. We also had to run this thing could the ‘snake pit’ which is basically this sand track that has all these hills. It’s right next to a police academy so that’s what the police had to do. And there was plenty more of tough stuff. It was torture. After the first trial game, I was told that it would be hard for me to get a game because I wasn’t at pre-season much like I was slack. It was the worst thing I was ever told. I thought this was real BS because I was there more times than some people and they got more playing time. This was actually against club rules which is for everyone to get a fair run. I must say this caused havoc around the club later in the season. This nearly caused me to leave the club and go play somewhere else but I was too scared to confront my coach, give back my guernsey and quit. Throughout the season I thought I really hated my coach but that wasn’t the case. I really disliked the assistant coach. The assistant coach would always complain if I made a mistake and have a go at me where my coach would pull me a side and help me out. At times I felt the assistant coach was calling the shots and I really felt uncomfortable going to training. I worked out that my coach was really an alright guy. I ended up playing 9 regular season games out of 18 with a lot of the time and I mean A LOT of the time spend on the bench. I played my 50th game for the club (In a game where we beat a team that we haven’t beaten since my first year at the club) and I only played about 1 minute of the game. My confidence was really down. Going back to not getting much playing time, this was told to a couple of my team mates. One of them didn’t miss a training for the whole year, the other caused one of my great mates and basically the person who got me out of the club to quit. We finished 3rd won the semi-final (first final win) but I only got onto the field when we knew we had the game won, had probably the biggest upset of the season winning the prelim final (the only time we had beaten this team was round 1 when they had all there players out to SANFL junior squads) and I hadn’t got on the field at all. So we made it to the Grand Final playing a team that has won plenty of premierships. I thought I wasn’t getting on the field. However I did. When we knew we were going to lose. So altogether not a very good year for me personally.

2012 – Second year of Under 16’s and last year of junior football (Under 18’s is considered senior football). Another new coach and coaching panel. After last year I was actually keen to make an impact knowing my coaches from last year would see some of our games. I have played full-forward all season but I haven't done very well. I have kicked 1 goal and about 10 behinds in 8 games. But it's also frustrating when your FF and you either don't get the ball passed to you or they kick it over your head or miss you completely. We actually didn’t have a really tough pre-season like last year it was more skills (which we are probably regretting at this moment). This year the Under 16 competition was still in 2 divisions but the Metro South Junior Football League were struggling so some of their teams joined our league. We won our trial game easily and we thought the season will be pretty good. We soon found out that we were wrong. Up to Round 11 we have won 4 games 2 of team were against teams that have only won 1 game for the year, another team was about the same level as us and the other win was a forfeit in round 1. The forfeit was weird. We were playing a Metro South team but they decided to rock up without guernseys and footy’s. After a long time of chaos we decided to just play them in there t-shirts. We lost by about 4 goals but later in the week the league decide to rule them a forfeit. We have worked out the problem is our run just drops off and we can’t run out a game. Whoever we have started to do plenty of running and fitness work during the middle of the season. Personally I think this is worse because 1. we are feeling too tired for our game and 2. We are doing more running and less skills. The last couple of weeks we worked out our skills and delivery is horrible and I think this die to the lack of skills work we are doing at training because of the running.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 15, 2007
Lumbridge
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Everton
From 1997 to U16's, I played for the Joondalup Jets over here in WA. I had a considerable amount of natural skill and talent, but my effort was never quite there. For me, playing footy was always about having a laugh with a mate as opposed to a competition, so that mindset prohibited me from advancing any further. Looking back on it, if I had tried I could have gotten somewhere, most likely WAFL. I used to play midfield, and I used to get an average of 14 possessions a game. I had my days where I'd bust out a crazy good game, then days where it was raining and I really couldn't be bothered chasing the footy.

Took a break from footy between the ages of 16 and 20. This was due to a run of injuries (I got hit pretty hard by my developing body), and spent alot of time focusing on studies. Tried to get back into footy when I was 20, played one game but got a stress fracture in my leg which kept me out for the remainder of the year. I'm 22 now, and I tried to get back into footy this season, joining a team half way through in the hope of getting fit. However, 2 years of being a lazy sack of s**t are obvious, and my fitness base is well below (and I mean well below) everything needed to play the game.

I'm just starting up by own fitness programme (albeit I've started incredibly early), in the hope of playing in 2013.

JCore

Team Captain
Jan 6, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
2007 - First time playing in the under 12's. In my first game I played at CHB and took a bounce every time I got the ball. They saw I was quick, moved me into the midfield and from what I can remember I had a really good season and a lot of fun.

2008- First year of under 14's. Played on a wing. Premiership. Massive win in the grand final (about 100 points) in an amazingly unfair season for the rest of the competition. Didn't lose a game.

2009 - Played as a midfielder as vice-captain in under 14's. We were truly terrible that season and finished second last. Second in the best and fairest but on the whole, a poor season.

2010 - Under 16's now. Played as a rover for the majority of the year. Mostly in a tagging role. We were top of the ladder the major of the year. Leading into finals I strained my groin. Could barely move. However, with the risk of maybe causing extra damage I played on the half-back flank in a limited role in the grand final. We lost by a goal in a massive upset.

2011 - Captain of the club in the under 16's. Played as a a small (177cm) ruckman. Missed a few games but won the best and fairest by a large margin. Came top 5 in the league best and fairest despite not polling until the halfway mark of the season (missed the majority of my games early on, but even when playing didn't poll). Played in the greatest game of my footy career that season. We needed to win against the top side to make the finals in the final round. Everyone was going crazy before the game. Incredibly loud. We won by a couple goals with our worst player (you know, the one you hide in the pocket all year long) kicking the game-sealing goal in the last minute. Amazing stuff. The week after though we lost the elimination final by about 30 points. But, I was given B.O.G and recieved the game ball in my last game of junior football which I think is pretty cool.

Overall, too small (for my skill set), don't have the endurance and don't have the disposal skills to play at a higher level. Enjoy basketball a hell of a lot more.

2000 - U/10's. First year playing comp footy and played on the ball. Got 2nd best in whole competition for the year and lost in a prelim by 2 points. BNF for team.

2001 - U/11's. Actually got poached by a club from a whole different league (which was bullshit) which saw me play at a new club. Was a terrible team, continued to play on the ball. Got BNF.

2002-2006 - U/12-U/18. Kind of a blur really, U/12's we had a terrible team that's all I can remember. For both bottom and top age U/14 we had a pretty strong team which saw us lose in prelim finals both years. Played in the middle and also had full back kick out duties which was always fun. Coaches Award in 2004 and BNF in 2005. Also played for Calder Cannons at this stage, played on the ball for over a year. U/16 again had a gun team, so much talent but lost in finals again. Played yet again on the ball and kicking out at the same time. Bottom age U/18 saw me play less than half a season due to an operation.

2007 - Tried to do a pre-season, but didn't play a game due to injuries.

2008 - Couldn't even do a pre-season due to injuries. This is the part where my body completely shut down (both Ankles, Knees, Hamstrings, Groin, Shoulders)

2009 - Didn't even bother trying to play.

2010 - Played half a year as a CHF and HFF in the reserves. Kicked around 37 goals or so and loved it, best time I have ever had playing footy. Made it to a grand final but didn't play due to injuries.

2011 - Bad knee injury, couldn't run for around half of the year, couldn't play.

2012 - Didn't play due to injuries yet again.

Overall - When my body was fine I was almost unstoppable in the middle. Quick, massive boot, could read the play well, get my own ball and could run all day. Just a shame that I can't even go for a run any more without having my legs hurting for weeks after it at the moment. Hoping to play next year, going to start my own pre-season at around October to see if my legs will be fine, and will be happy to play in the ressies with my mates. If the occasion arises to play in the 1's i'll take it. If my body will be right I will be gunning to play in the 1's from the start of the season.

Magpies2010

Club Legend
Jan 29, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
2007-U/9s After 2 years of Auskick I played my first season of junior footy. Started off with a very nice 5 goal bag in a big win and then kicked 3 the next week in a tight win. Can't remember. Uh else but we only lost 1 game and I ended up with 20-30ish goals.

2008- U/10s Played soccer with my best mate but filled in from Time to time. Played well enough but still can't remember much. Know I was still kicking goals.

2009- U/11s didn't play the first half (something to with "taking a break") cam eback and dominated my team but wed fallen a long way since our first season. Still can't rememeber much but still kicked goals.

2010- U/12s This time I've got plenty to tell. Missed the first game due to scholarship test (didn't get it) but played half time at a WAFL fixture. First game back was given the job of tagging the sides number 1 one player and did alright, considering he was massive. Think we had a close loss.did alright for the next couple of weeks before booting 6 in a BOG ground display in the derby. From then on I was a machine, think I bagged 3 more 6s, a 7 and at least contributed 3/4. Best performance was 9 against the best side. It was just my day, started at CHF, remember snapping the first one along the ground 20m out and then kicked another quick one waking the opposition up. Had 3 at qtr time 6 at half and one assist 9 3 qtr with 2 assist.up by 26 points before coach moves me to CHB. We hold on in the end by 16 and sing the song in joy. Think I end up with 46 goals for the year and would of got BNF except we didn't have one. Also filled in for the 13s, did alright, kicked the game winning goal in their derby. Pretty small compared to the rest and we weren't the best.

2011-U/13s appointed captain and felt very proud. About the best thing that happened for the whole year. Got smashed in most games. Was BOG or close to for pretty much all the games for our side. We struggled as we had no big bodies. Best win was my last game for the club. Parents had been divorced and mum won the court case so we were moving to Townsville at the end of the year. Very emotional, I cried on the Friday for about 15-20 minutes. Came out against a bogan, rough side (we'd beaten them before) Kicked against the wind behind at quarter time though had given off only goal. With the wind we dominated until a ruckman got taken out, got in huddle and cried as I told everyone it was my last game. Moved our "big boy" (Collingwood supporter) in to the ruck and he kindly returned the favour to their ruckman, levelling things up. Meanwhile out FF kicked 3 and I bagged one as we led by a couple of points at long change. Going against the wind we struggled but was saved by all the points they kicked, almost went end to end but teammate bagged it in the square. 3 qtr time were down by about a goal. Coach moves me too the ball. Bag 3 goals in 10 minutes to individually win us the game (though the team played very well, rebounded great off half back) started to piss off other team with OTT celebrations and was pushed at next clearance to the ground, thinking about it at night wished I said something to suck em up and get 50 and kick the last won but took the free kick and got another goal. Coaches brother ken McCaully (WA state footballer and cricketer) said it was one of the best junior performances he'd ever seen. Sang the team song with a lot of heart. Playe done game of under 14s and kicked a goal, way to small.

2012 U/14s a new city (Townsville), a new club (thuringowa bulldogs) start off in first game by bagging 7 in a 99 point win. 4 in losing derby. Couple of 6s against an aboriginal college. another 6 with about 6 behinds. Then went off to represent Townsville at country championship. Played well booted 7 goals at CHF (very small 171 cm) and then mad Qld country side. Did alright there, booted first goal for our team and set the next one up. Next game booted the second one but in shocking conditions game became rugby and the ball rarely went near out CHF line again. Third game kicked the first goal in third term not much else. We won 1 and lost 2. Good experience. Came back and Didn't kick a goal in the third derby. Know they don't add up but have 37 goals in 8 clubs games and side Is second.

Been a good career so far. Hope I can go all the way and play AFL in the pros. Really enjoyed junior experience. To the guys who've wrot egrets work, quite some good reads here and definitely some talented players. Sorry about his being so long and sometimes scrappy, just took forever to write. Hope you have a good read and thanks for reading.

Brock 'n' Roll

Team Captain
Jul 19, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Pistons, Storm, NY Mets
My Career highlight was kicking 5 goals after half time on Jobe Watson when he played for East Sandringham, this was under 16s and I kicked 7 for the match being a man child in jr footy was great until I stopped growing and everyone caught up. :(

fairdinkum

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 22, 2007
Road to nowhere
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I will give this thread a proper go another time but just for those asking about footy leagues in Melbourne, the VAFA has something like seven divisions which collectively cater for just about any level of ability, from blokes just out of the AFL in A-Grade Seniors through to absolute spuds in 'D4' (G-Grade) Reserves.

Silent Alarm, I was able to play for Monash U19s in my first year of uni even though I turned 19 the previous year. I'm not sure how the system works but there is a chance you might be able to play U19s for Melbourne Uni (if that is where you end up studying). Look into it, it is a great way to meet good blokes. Some of the guys I met at Monash U19s were the best lads I have ever met in any thing I've done - I regret not staying in touch with more of them.

To go through it all would take too long but the nuts and bolts of it are.....

CLUB GAMES: 176 (Seniors and reserves combined), plus 2 seasons in Under 16/17's
SPAN: 1999-Present
HONOURS: Capricornia Under 16's 2000 (Qld Country carnival), Under 16's deputy VC 2000, Reserves Captain 2008 (0-15 record).
PREMIERSHIPS: none, played in 2 losing Under 16/17 GF's and 1 losing reserves GF, omitted from 2010 reserves premiership team.
ABORTED RETIREMENTS: 1 (following 2010, was talked out of it)
VENUES PLAYED AT (including Pre-Season contests): 11 [Stenlake Park Rockhampton, Rockhampton Cricket Ground, Victoria Park Rockhampton, Kele Park Rockhampton, Swan Park Yeppoon, Clinton Oval Gladstone, Boyne Tannum Country Club Oval, Etwell Park Bakers Creek, Whitsunday Sports Park Airlie Beach, Fairclough Oval Bundaberg, Bear Park Maryborough]
TRIPS ON LONG DISTANCE TRAINS TO REACH PRE-SEASON MATCH CITIES: 2 (technically one of them saw me catch a train all the way to Brisbane then catch a return train to Bundy)
REGULAR PLAYING NUMBERS: 15 (1999 U/17), 33 (2000 U/16 Club), 6 (2000 U/16 Rep), 8 (2001), 50 (2002-2007), 27 (2008-Present), no regular number in 2000 reserves.
NUMBER OF COACHES PLAYED UNDER: 12 officially, a few more unofficially
NUMBER OF TEAM MATES: in excess of 200

Remove this Banner Ad

Back